GDC 2011: Tentacles-On with Octodad Kinect

Tentacles-On with Octodad Kinect

Lisa Foiles talks to the creators of "secret octopus adventure game," Octodad.

Watch Video

What did I take from this? Either Lisa doesn't know what she's doing, or the Kinnect is just shit. Period. She was waving her arms around and NOTHING was happening.

I tend to lean more towards the former, but the latter seems likely as well.

This just made me remember the very real octopus that tries to imitate other life forms:
http://www.thatvideosite.com/video/mimic_octopus

It looks like an interesting gameplay mechanic explained with a quirky story. But it seams there is still a long way to make it playable.

Bomberman4000:
What did I take from this? Either Lisa doesn't know what she's doing, or the Kinnect is just shit. Period. She was waving her arms around and NOTHING was happening.

The Kinect device was getting confused by all the people walking around. Chances are you won't have thousands of passers-by in your living room, so it should be OK. ;)

Octodad? If there´s no Octopimp, I´m very disappoint.

Russ Pitts:

Bomberman4000:

The Kinect device was getting confused by all the people walking around. Chances are you won't have thousands of passers-by in your living room, so it should be OK. ;)

But in the commercials it wasn't affected by the people in the dance club, or the train station, or the wedding reception.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just had to respond when I saw the editor-in-chief quoted one of my posts. (I genuinely geeked for a minute)

I do think the game could be a funny quirky concept, but based on that display and some hands on time with the Kinnect, I'll stick with my controllers.

Well Lisa you do know how to butter up developers, but that game looks horrid to say the least.

One major reason for why playing the game looks strange and inconsistent is because the game is very difficult. You'll have a surprisingly hard time just to learn to walk, or somehow get your character to move, in the direction you want. Even with very accurate and manageable controls as mouse & keyboard. You must play the game in order to know how crazy the controls are.

We tried the game with a few friends some weekend and it was hilarious to play and especially watch that. And after playing you know how to do the Octodad-walk to a bar. Coming back to the flat with the same style is a bit more challenging.

Bomberman4000:

Thank God that someone mentioned it.
And yes, definetly the first one.

He showed her how to wave yet she kept waving the same way, it's a shame.

Oh man, this is probably one of the first games that has made me want to get a kinect (though I still doubt I'll ever get it). I played the downloadable octodad for PC and it was pretty damn fun.

Wonderful, now I too can be a normal dad doing normal human things using a normal people motion controller.

If you don't get why this game is awesome, watch the video below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw2b4mjMLNU

While I've got nothing against the cutesy cartoons, I'm glad there are games like Octodad coming out that don't specifically fit into that cutesy cartoon visual.

...Although the premise does remind me of Chicken-Boo from Animaniacs.

Thanks Lisa.

The moment I heard John explain the game and get to the line "an octopus masquerading as a sub-urban dad" I burst out laughing. And what a nice little commentary about how people hide their true selves from society.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a hot gaming chick to interview potentially awkward bumbling game devs is cruel. Cruel with a great sense of humour.

(Watches Lisa attempting to control the octopus.)

(Looks behind Lisa.)

Nova Scotia? What the hell's my province of origin doing with a booth there? Trying to lure business?

MMM, that opening and closing beat where the GDC logo is shown hits me in all the right ways. If it is from a song and isnt custom made please hit me up with the name of it.

I watched a Let's Play of the PC version. It's very funny.

I was interested mostly by wondering what the song was at 0:20
Onto Octodad, it looks alright, but I wouldn't ever buy it...

Formica Archonis:
(Watches Lisa attempting to control the octopus.)

(Looks behind Lisa.)

Nova Scotia? What the hell's my province of origin doing with a booth there? Trying to lure business?

North Sydney. What a town.

Octodad? I think this is the first time I've ever been turned off a game simply by the title...

Well you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. ;D

NoseDigger:
I was interested mostly by wondering what the song was at 0:20
Onto Octodad, it looks alright, but I wouldn't ever buy it...

after listening to skrillex just a few minuets earlier, thats immediately what it reminded me of.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here