Review: Pokémon Black & White Versions

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Eri:

GeorgW:

Eri:

It's true. Not fake at all.

But that defeats their entire purpose! Why would they do that??

Because one use makes them half useless. As it stood, You couldn't use ANY TMs until end game when you were sure they wouldn't be replaced by some better move or better pokemon entirely. And that was just if you were smart, if you werent that "poke-smart" you wasted the TMs and never got any real use out of them. Not being able to use any of the TMs you get until the very end of the game was just no fun, why bother giving them out so early and often if you can't even use them? So that's why they are now unlimited.

I personally think that this is an awesome idea. I never used TMs before because I have a thing about not using things I won't always have.

Dang it! I just got a DSi and Soul Silver like a week ago, and I spent all my money the week before on Duodecim. I'll probably get this around the time the next versions come out, if I'm lucky...

I don't care if its two more days, I must have my precious...

Tepig, you'll soon be mine.

So where do the colors go from here?

Pokemon Rainbow? You start life as a gay activist just getting your start in the wide world of homophobia...

Pokemon Gray? Where the villains are actually doing some good, and you're pretty sure the Professor has done horrible things to his nephew...

Pokemon Neon? Pokemon Purple? Pokemon Pink? Seriously, what's left?

Brainst0rm:

Pokemon Rainbow? You start life as a gay activist just getting your start in the wide world of homophobia...

Pokemon Gray? Where the villains are actually doing some good, and you're pretty sure the Professor has done horrible things to his nephew...

Most likely Poke'mon Alpha and Poke'mon Beta, followed by an enhanced version called Gamma or Omega.

AbsoluteVirtue18:

Brainst0rm:

Most likely Poke'mon Alpha and Poke'mon Beta, followed by an enhanced version called Gamma or Omega.

Or a remake of the 3rd generation.

I would love to get White, but I really do not have the money. And if I did, I am saving it for something else. I would probably get it when it becomes cheaper, like every single game I get. I wonder if my DS lite is able to play it?

Preordered our copies... still not arrived. The postman will be shot on sight!

They've been doing non-color names since Gen II. Crystal, Diamond and Pearl confirmed that there ain't no rule that every core game be named after a color.

As for the games theirselves: my body is so ready. Been hyping up for these releases since they started promotion. <3

A world based around Manhattan? Oh shit!

A wild Roman appears! Roman used "HEY CAZIN LETS GO BOWLING!" trainer used "Not now" Roman used "Ok maybe another time".

I actually like the grind in pokémon games. There's just something special over having to stop before a gym, and train rigorously in order to defeat the gym leader. If the game was designed in such a way that I would be strong enough to beat the gym the moment I got to it, that would be pretty boring.

Edit: I haven't played any pokémon games since Gold. Have they introduced multiple save slots yet?

So they learned and made TMs unlimited uses?
What about HMs? Did they learn even more and axe those atrocious things already and give the main character a machete to whack bushes instead of wasting attack slots with useless attacks?

dunno if it was pointed out. But it works with WEP and WPA connection. I couldn't go online in Gold/Silver cus of my connection but it works fine on B+W.

Also wanna point out the first trainer battle is against......

YOUNGSTER JIMMY.

And yes.

He has a RAT.

Brainst0rm:

I lol'd hard at that bit.

I assume they'd do something that's perhaps not a colour, they did it before with Diamond/Platinum etc.

Mr. Omega:

They got rid of the annoying beeping when you get low on health?
HALLE-FUCKIN'-LUJAH!!!

Seriously? Really, god damn seriously?
I was on the fence, now I'm sold.

Jonluw:
I actually like the grind in pokémon games. There's just something special over having to stop before a gym, and train rigorously in order to defeat the gym leader. If the game was designed in such a way that I would be strong enough to beat the gym the moment I got to it, that would be pretty boring.

Edit: I haven't played any pokémon games since Gold. Have they introduced multiple save slots yet?

No multiple save slots yet, but they have made it so you have to do certain stuff to delete your save, or overwrite it if you start a new game, so at least you don't have to worry about your little brother wiping out your save.

However, personally I've always found pokemon single player to be a steamroll, as long as you occasionally fight the odd trainer, everytime you get a gym you outlevel it so much that you just crush the enemy. Well unless you're playing as fire in RB or Pikachu for yellow.

elvor0:

Jonluw:

No multiple save slots yet, but they have made it so you have to do certain stuff to delete your save, or overwrite it if you start a new game, so at least you don't have to worry about your little brother wiping out your save.

Gnaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
I hate having to choose between keeping the team I've bonded with, but not having much to do, or starting a new adventure, but having to sever my bonds.

Edit: Also, what do you think the third game in this generation will be called? Grey?

Irridium:
Does this game's online features still require a WEP connection? Because I'm sick of not being able to go online in SoulSilver because I have a WPA connection.

erms, my connection uses wpa, and i can go online with SS.
it doesn't depend on your game, it depends on your DS.
only DSi's and later have wpa support.

Jonluw:

elvor0:

Jonluw:

Gnaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
I hate having to choose between keeping the team I've bonded with, but not having much to do, or starting a new adventure, but having to sever my bonds.

Well you can now play online multiplayer/trade pokes over the internet, plus the new games always have tons of side stuff to do, alongside the updated mechanics, if you want to get into online battling you should check out Smogon.com, which has all the info on that on it, competative pokemon is really really fun, although it's pretty hardcore.

Fasckira:
Preordered our copies... still not arrived. The postman will be shot on sight!

mine arrived a day before official release ^^

Damn it, I just got over my jonesing for pokemon and now this comes out. I'm screwed! Wait...no I'm not. Fortunately I don't have a DS...if I had one then I'd probably end up getting this and then my life would be over for the time it takes to beat 8 Gyms and The Elite Four. For now...I'm sticking to my Blue, Ruby and Sapphire (and soon: Red, Gold, Silver....I love ex-girlfriends who don't hate me).

YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!! I LOVE POKEMON!!!! :)

Serris:

Lucky bugger! Arrived about 1/2 hour after I posted, just paused now for a break :D

(Snivy rules)

elvor0:

Jonluw:

elvor0:

Gnaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Well you can now play online multiplayer/trade pokes over the internet, plus the new games always have tons of side stuff to do, alongside the updated mechanics, if you want to get into online battling you should check out Smogon.com, which has all the info on that on it, competative pokemon is really really fun, although it's pretty hardcore.

Nah, I don't think I can be bothered to keep track of their stats while I train my pokémon in order to make them as strong as possible. One of the things I liked about the pokémon games was the immersion, and that sort of meta-gaming ruins it for me.

It's like this friend of mine who was playing Oblivion with me: "No no, you have to use a deadric shortsword with this and that enchantment to maximize your damage output"
I say fuck that. I'm playing to have fun, not do maximize my damage output.

Besides, I don't own a ds...

Jonluw:

elvor0:

Jonluw:
Gnaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Nah, I don't think I can be bothered to keep track of their stats while I train my pokémon in order to make them as strong as possible. One of the things I liked about the pokémon games was the immersion, and that sort of meta-gaming ruins it for me.

It's like this friend of mine who was playing Oblivion with me: "No no, you have to use a deadric shortsword with this and that enchantment to maximize your damage output"

Fair nuff, I'd suggest just playing it casually, but it's like trying to play Street Fighter IV casually online. Also, min maxing in Oblvion, really? I've played large sections of the game in shit gear, just beacuse it's the best looking. It's all about looking stylish man!

elvor0:

Jonluw:

elvor0:

Fair nuff, I'd suggest just playing it casually, but it's like trying to play Street Fighter IV casually online. Also, min maxing in Oblvion, really? I've played large sections of the game in shit gear, just beacuse it's the best looking. It's all about looking stylish man!

Exactly. I just want to have fun.
I just fired up pokémon yellow, by the way.
I can't figure out what to do and stuff. I see that I have already beaten the elite four though. Not much to do, I guess. I would almost like to start a new adventure, but there's no chance in hell I'm giving up my lovely party. Maybe I should just go about training Mew and Pikachu.

You can pass here only if you have the SOULBADGE!
Oh! That is the SOULBADGE!
Ok then! Please, go right ahead!

Damn, I hate victory road.

I remember beating the elite four. I did it with a party of just five, since I refused to use Mew as anything other than a backup.

Fasckira:

Serris:

Lucky bugger! Arrived about 1/2 hour after I posted, just paused now for a break :D

(Snivy rules)

i picked snivy too xD there's something i like about snake and serpentlike mon :3 that and dragons ofc :D

Koroviev:

N.1 Ninja Of 2010:

Koroviev:

Thanks for posting the article. I was looking for something interesting to read.

Even though you can't spell ignorance without RAN.

I don't quite follow.

You can't spell Countersignatures without IGN.

I find it amazing that Pokemon is still going strong after all these years. I remember playing the original GB carts ages ago as a child when it was a simple choice between Red and Blue. As an adult I work in video game retail and sell Pokemon now, so seeing the great range of ages is always sort of boggling to me. But it makes me feel sort of warm and fuzzy in my dorkiness to be in such unpredictable company. Black/White...something tells me no matter what they change along the way, most of us will still be faithful to the franchise.

Ordered it from amazon yesterday... Come on, Tepig, where the hell are you?

Infinite TMs make me hard.

It's true, and disgusting. But it's true.

My god I want this, in fact I'm going to get it...now

Also I think the new legendary dragons actually look really cool.

Bobbity:

Now where's that blasted DS gone?

It's under the fridge.

Don't worry, you can always get Evee via trade. Did i ever tell you story of how evee almost got me some action? Proabaly shouldn't in a pokethread. Now if only i actually had a working DS...

It comes out tomorrow in the U.S. its just one more day, but I WANT IT NOW! I want my Oshawott Damn it!

scw55:
Been playing all day (minus my power nap).
The UI change and battle camera change was a shock to the system but it was an improvement.
It's just a shame they didn't keep the "you #1 pokemon in your party following you" thing they had in Soulsiler and Heartgold. Sure it added nothing to the gameplay but I added some sort of immersion. Made your Pokemon feel more physical instead of Phantasmal objects you conjured from orbs when you fight.

I do like how there seems to be a stronger plot line. The enemy team is woven much more heavily into your adventure. Think Arthas in WOTLK. You can't move more than 5m without seeing team plasma being evil (gross exhaderation).

Currently 4/8, so yeah, burning through it. I'm not trying to burn through, I'm just efficient.

Tripple battles are wierd and quite brutal. My team of 3 level 30s almost got destroyed by a team of 25s. I had to use items. I think the difficulty is just right in this game.

thought the game wasn't out til tomorrow

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or