The Big Picture: Two Many Busters

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Two Many Busters

MovieBob ain't afraid of no ghosts - or cheap looking cartoon imitators.

Watch Video

I remember loving the sequel Extreme Ghostbusters never seen the original though

They were right to call it "The Real Ghostbusters" IMHO.
That other creation looked like a cheep knock-off of Scooby Doo.

oh dear, um first i guess. sigh, so close.

anyway. i remember both cartoons and liked them. Only trouble was it seemed a lot harder to find the filmation version, I was a kid, i didn't care what it was about as long as it had Ghostbusters in the title.

MatParker116:
I remember loving the sequel Extreme Ghostbusters never seen the original though

you can see a lot of them on youtube if its something you are interested in. I suggest the Real Ghostbusters and not Slimer and the Real Ghostbuster. Writing just seemed better on the earlier episodes while later, they seemed like they were trying to make it more kid friendly.

Interesting show Bob, I'm a long time fan of your work, but this will be my first comment (sorry if it sounds the tiniest bit critical).

Anyway, while this sort of stuff is interesting from the 'useless triva' side of the internet (not a bad thing, by the way), it sort of fails to evoke a response other than, "oh, I guess that's kind of cool". Your best work is when you use your intellect to discuss an issue or an idea in a way that few people ever think of before, or at least least introduce people to an idea that could change their way of thinking (such as your GameOverthinker episode about how Super Mario Galaxy features one of the few examples of creationism reenvisioned through entirely feminine means).

Anyway, not to sound too harsh, your 'useless triva' is always interesting to hear, but your best episodes will always be the ones that could change a persons thinking.

so ... oyu 're telling us "the gostbusters" the sucky cartoon version is the origin for "ghostbusters" the movie, even so it was broduced AFTER the movie, but the tv-series was made before the movie, on wich "the ghostbusters" cartoon is basically based upon.
(all in one sentence)
in short: "TV IS WEIRD"
thank you very nice episode.
proceed!

so ... you 're telling us "the gostbusters" the sucky cartoon version is the origin for "ghostbusters" the movie, even so it was broduced AFTER the movie, but the tv-series was made before the movie, on wich "the ghostbusters" cartoon is basically based upon.
(all in one sentence)
proceed!

scottxxxx667:
Interesting show Bob, I'm a long time fan of your work, but this will be my first comment (sorry if it sounds the tiniest bit critical).

Anyway, while this sort of stuff is interesting from the 'useless triva' side of the internet (not a bad place, by the way), it sort of fails to evoke a response other than, "oh, I guess that's kind of cool". Your best work is when you use your intellect to discuss an issue or an idea in a way that few people ever think of before, or at least least introduce people to an idea that could change their way of thinking (such as your GameOverthinker episode about how Super Mario Galaxy features one of the few examples of creationism reenvisioned through entirely feminine means).

Anyway, not to sound too harsh, your 'useless triva' is always interesting to hear, but your best episodes will always be the ones that could change a persons thinking.

I'm with you on this one, between his ancient TV show episodes and comic eps also, I find myself feeling unfulfilled, and while the aforementioned episodes may indeed be the big picture on the subject, the subject itself doesn't provoke much thought.

This is another reason I love extra credits...

.oopsiedaisy

MovieBob:
Two Many Busters

Watch Video

Not only do you get major props for being a fellow "I know way too much about Ghostbusters" fan, but added points for the Crystal Head Vodka Danny picture.

Seriously, I found out about that product on April 1st. I think the official tagline should be "Crystal Head Vodka, what do you mean it's not an April Fool's Joke?" Smooth though.

Wow I remember watching the Ghostbusters cartoon (the one with the monkey) as a kid. Have no idea where or when though.

What an absolute blast from the past. I kinda enjoyed it, though I remember being freaked out and thinking it was really...out there. I was like 4 though.

Thanks Bob, nice bit of nostalgia :-)

Great episode, always wondered what was going on with those series, and now I know.

Much better than the political commentary.

MatParker116:

YES THANK YOU. I loved the extreme one especially when the real Ghost Busters made an appearance.

I was about 4 or 5 when those shows came out. I know my slightly older brother had a few action figures that were weird (particularly the one with the fat guy with pilot hat and goggles) he claimed were ghost busters and I didn't get it. Not recognizing them at all.

That answers that.

Bob,
You forgot to mention a couple of 'crossover' episodes the original Ghostbusters did where they had to rescue the Real Ghostbusters. It makes from some laughably bad continuity, but it was amazing that they did it.

Scott Glasgow

Aaaaah! Thanks Bob, now the fog is starting to clear.

I remember watching an animated Ghostbusters show growing up in the '90s and loving it, thinking that was, you know what Ghostbusters was. As I grew up I largely forgot what it was about and when eventually I learned Ghostbusters was actually a live action movie and assumed the cartoon was a spinoff.

All these years I've always had this sense that something, somewhere was wrong about that picture. Partially because I clearly remember that the show had a talking car that was never in the movie. I just assumed they didn't give a damn when they made the cartoon.

I'm glad I got that cleared up ^^

Filmations Ghostbusters atcually served as the base of inspiration for Danny Phantom on nickolodeon, for example the idea of a ghost catching thermos Came from the Ghostbusters cartoon.

scottxxxx667:

Anyway, while this sort of stuff is interesting from the 'useless triva' side of the internet (not a bad thing, by the way), it sort of fails to evoke a response other than, "oh, I guess that's kind of cool". Your best work is when you use your intellect to discuss an issue or an idea in a way that few people ever think of before, or at least least introduce people to an idea that could change their way of thinking (such as your GameOverthinker episode about how Super Mario Galaxy features one of the few examples of creationism reenvisioned through entirely feminine means).

I agree, I finished watching this episode and while I enjoyed it at the end I was like so what? I agree that I didn't walk away with any new perspective or a different perspective on a topic.

I remember always feeling very nervous whenever Sky Channel announced "Next up: Ghostbusters". Would it be that actual awesome Ghostbusters or the crappy gorilla Ghostbusters?

The Boogey Man from the Real Ghostbusters always scared the shit out me by the way.

Wow Bob. You must have pulled that right out of the dark recesses of my mind because I have been wondering this for a very long time. Without a doubt, the Real Ghostbusters cartoon held a special place in my heart (and on my bedroom walls, in my toy box, and my parents wallet). Great video, you sir win an internet.

Finally! a Big Picture episode of something I didn't know!! :P (I'm a big comic book nerd)

Loved the Real Ghostbusters and hated the Monkey Ghost Busters as a kid. Always go mad when a TV listing would send me the wrong way.

scottxxxx667:
oh, I guess that's kind of cool"

Agreed. I like the topic, and what was included was good, but there was little substance. This was an interesting look back at the Ghostbusters history, but to make it big picture a broader look at how rights work in TV or possibly even a deeper look at the Ghostbusters franchise would have added some meat to the episode.

Tracy the Gorilla flipping rocks!

dmcc85:
so ... oyu 're telling us "the gostbusters" the sucky cartoon version is the origin for "ghostbusters" the movie, even so it was broduced AFTER the movie, but the tv-series was made before the movie, on wich "the ghostbusters" cartoon is basically based upon.
(all in one sentence)
proceed!

No, he said that when they were making the movie and decided to call it "Ghostbusters" none of them had even heard of the original live action show. So other than the name, the two series have nothing in common.

Whoaa! Bov that was irrelevant... Sorry grew up in the 1990's. Born in 1989. SO tv for me was about anime and other stuff and moving around too much did not help either.

As a fellow massive Ghostbusters nerd, this taught me nothing new, but it was fun to watch anyway. I remember seeing the "knockoff" cartoon as a kid and going "what the heck is this?" Was it a mistake? Was it supposed to be the parents or grandparents of the ghostbusters I knew and loved?

Moriarty70:

MovieBob:
Two Many Busters

Watch Video

Not only do you get major props for being a fellow "I know way too much about Ghostbusters" fan, but added points for the Crystal Head Vodka Danny picture.

Seriously, I found out about that product on April 1st. I think the official tagline should be "Crystal Head Vodka, what do you mean it's not an April Fool's Joke?" Smooth though.

I want to try that stuff, but it's banned in Ontario. The LCBO (Liquor control board of Ontario) thinks that selling alcohol in a skull bottle associates the product with death too much.

How's that for something that should be an April fools joke but isn't?

Did MovieBob confuse Bill Murry with someone else or am I just stupid? :P

Huh... seems like that Filmation group was pretty shrewd in the end...

Indeed that is a good review. I was never aware literally that there was a Ghost Busters show based off two guys and a gorilla. The movie with the 4 guys was cool, which I never knew was to be sued by that company who held onto the original series. Still- that company making it into a cartoon hoping to make something of it was ok but should of made some changes. But, glad that there was then The Real Ghost Busters show because that totally rocked when I saw that as a kid. :)

Glad to see someone else remembered this show.

But Bob, lay off the reverb/pitch shift for fucks sake. I get it, you want to emphasize something. TV is weird. Comics are Weird. Yeah, got it. That's sort of the whole point or your show, right? Enough with the hack gags already. It's moronic and undercuts the thoughtful analysis.

Is there anything that isn't weird?

Diligent:
I want to try that stuff, but it's banned in Ontario. The LCBO (Liquor control board of Ontario) thinks that selling alcohol in a skull bottle associates the product with death too much.

How's that for something that should be an April fools joke but isn't?

I found the video promoting it on the website on April 1st and it just seemed like the kind of joke he'd put out.

As for the Ontario problem, I'm in the same boat. You have two options, 1. Duty free, at least the Windsor one, they had it last spring at least. 2. Any family or friends that border hop between provinces, float them $50 ahead of time and have them pick it up. My dad travels to Alberta for work every few months and that's how I scored my first bottle. 3. You can contact the distillery directly and they'll sell it by the case, 7 bottles I think. It's pretty damned expensive, but if you've got a group that'll go in on it, it's an easy fix.

Why is all this stuff I really have no vested interest in so damned interesting?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here