Dragon Age II Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Actually there is no auto attack for consoles apparently, so its only optional for PC.

And yes this will be forgoton when skyrim is released.

chinangel:

manythings:
I hate you DA2 playing guy... three more fucking days.

Did you have the High-res texture packs or just the regular copy?

I get my pre-order tomorrow morning :3

I hate you aswell.

Hey, are tehre spoilers in the review? Anything at all that might tarnish the game at all? I don't want to watch it if there are. Should I watch it? (Im getting the game anyways)

Madkipz:

FlyAwayAutumn:
I can't wait for this game. I'm getting it tomorrow bitches! I played the console version of Origins and while I loved it the downfalls of the console version tended to get me down it also made me sad that I had to play on Casual that's just insulting. When I get Dragon Age 2 Imma gonna be a mage! I cast flare bitches!

Madkipz:
You are calling it: A pinnacle of role-playing games with well-designed mechanics and excellent story-telling, Dragon Age II is what videogames are meant to be.

So it falls flat on its face on actual gameplay? that bad huh?

I feel like you were trying to make a joke but either I didn't get it or it wasn't funny.

inventory / gear management: gone
talents and abilities: linear and streamlined.
the mass effect wheel: top is paragon, middle is stupid and bottom is renegade.
Amount of pausing the game during a fight or putting actual thought into anything other than who you want to be friends with: 0
So basically anything that required you to do something is gone, its now an interactive movie with choice. Not much of a game.

Not that i dont mind movies nor complain but to call it the pinnacle of rpgs is an insult to baldurs gate. ^_^

Wow are you one of those people who think roleplay games are about siders and graphics and class management ? Iv played them demo theres plently game play really inst that different.

Icarion (aka Stockholm):
Hey, are tehre spoilers in the review? Anything at all that might tarnish the game at all? I don't want to watch it if there are. Should I watch it? (Im getting the game anyways)

None really unless you consider "you go to Kirkwall", "your surname is Hawke" and "there's a Dalish settlement nearby" to be spoilers.

mireko:

Icarion (aka Stockholm):

None really unless you consider "you go to Kirkwall", "your surname is Hawke" and "there's a Dalish settlement nearby" to be spoilers.

Thanks. I'll go watch it now

Swaki:
snip

I can understand that. I think there is room in the genre for different narrative devices though. The open world, choose your own path type is the one I generally enjoy the most, but does tend to lead to pretty loose storytelling (more accurately, story cohesion; see ZP: Two Worlds II review). Does depend on playstyle though. I have trouble passing on quests I come across, usually to the detriment of following the main quest line (especially in light of some games that end when you beat the big bad ala pre-DLC Fallout 3). Imagining that as a fantasy novel, the hero walks into town, sees the thief with the MacGuffin in the inn, then proceeds to chat up the entire town to run their errands for pocket change before going after the thief.

Since DA2 is the story of the impact you've had on this town through your actions, rather than your Campbellian hunt for your nemesis, this structure seems more suitable. The day to day existance that can be approximated by an open world RPG would be too small a scale to measure your gradual influence on Kirkwall. By framing it this way, they can make it so that any action you take, main quest or side quest, can be seen through that lens.

Though you are definitely right that it creates a different kind of immersion than the sort usually found in Western RPGs. From what the review is saying, it seems Bioware surmounted that, but as with all things, YMMV.

Anyway, hope I didn't sound too douchey :D

HAWT! Can't wait to pick up my preorder.

Okay, so now I know, that the combat is better - good.

Now I know that dialogs are better - good.

Choices do matter? Great, that's a step forward after a disappointment on that department in ME2.

But I have one big question before I'll even consider buying DA II - Is the plot any good (spare the spoilers, of course)? I don't see much about that in the review, and very, very weak plot with the most predictable twists in the history of AAA RPG's was the main factor that made DA:O one of the biggest letdowns in my gaming history. I value a good story over anything else in a game, especially in RPG's, so this is really important question for me.

Kirkwall only? (Or just a few outlying areas?)

That makes it sound like something I would not want to play. I don't know about you all, but metropolitan regions of games are not my favorite thing. Give me open countryside and natural scenes!

I wound up stopping my playthrough of Divinity II at the beginning of the expansion for just this reason - I can't stand playing in cities for long periods.

So, sadly, I doubt I'll be getting this any time soon.

I haven't played DA1 (swore I'd only play it on PC, and since mine is both on the fritz and severely outdated I've continuously put it off), but I'm having a hard time resisting picking up this for my PS3...

The game was already released in my country yesterday.....and it sold out in a matter of hours!

Good thing i preordered them!

But i have to say.....it's surprisingly short.

Nicos Amblecrown:

Swaki:
snip

-snip-
but as with all things, YMMV.

Anyway, hope I didn't sound too douchey :D

Not at all, i quite enjoy having a intelligent (or as intelligent as i can appear at 2.30 in the morning) discussion, the only "douchey" thing in that entire post was the use of "YMMV" which i had to look up, and unless dragon age 2 is also a car it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

manythings:

chinangel:

manythings:
I hate you DA2 playing guy... three more fucking days.

Did you have the High-res texture packs or just the regular copy?

I get my pre-order tomorrow morning :3

I hate you aswell.

Go ahead and hate me as well
bought it off steam so it's preloaded and ready to go ^_^

My pre-order ships tomorrow (or has already, I'm not sure), so I'm looking forwards to playing this finally!

Though, I'm waiting a little until I get my new graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX570ti) so I can support DirectX 11 for the best experience out of the game as well. At least a week, but I'll have it nonetheless. *Shrug*

My one burning question is this: Can I customize Hawks face, specifically his skin tone? If DA2 lets me play as a handsome man with brown skin I will throw my money at this game and all its DLC in a heartbeat.

Madkipz:

For the most part, I don't disagree too heavily with you (I'm fine with what you take issue with, but you're not incorrect) but this part is untrue. The Dragon Age borrows the wheel, but there's no renegade or paragon, or any equivalents. It tends to put different 'stances' in the same slots whenever it can (to ease confusion and improve speed) but all each slot on the wheel is its own dialogue option. It isn't as uniform as Mass Effect is at all.

Azriel Nightshade:
My one burning question is this: Can I customize Hawks face, specifically his skin tone? If DA2 lets me play as a handsome man with brown skin I will throw my money at this game and all its DLC in a heartbeat.

Appearance is definitely customizable, and I'm pretty sure skin-tone is one option. What I want to know is if it customizes your family characters to match you...

I won't be able to play my pre-order until Friday, which is annoying...mind you, I've got so much bonus stuff (about 16 out of the total available http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/bonus_items//) I've probably break the game as soon as a start playing:

BlindChance:

Azriel Nightshade:

Appearance is definitely customizable, and I'm pretty sure skin-tone is one option. What I want to know is if it customizes your family characters to match you...

It would be all the more fantastic if it did.

Azriel Nightshade:

BlindChance:

Azriel Nightshade:

According to the wiki, they do.

It's the 8th now!
Give me my copy!
Granted, it's still 3 am, but that's just a technicality.
GIVE IT TO ME!

AlternatePFG:

Azriel Nightshade:

BlindChance:

Awesome!

Azriel Nightshade:

AlternatePFG:

Azriel Nightshade:

Awesome!

And to think my human noble in DAO was a brown dude with dreads, I don't think he ever figured out he was adopted. > . >

Azriel Nightshade:

AlternatePFG:

Awesome!

Agreed. Bioware gets some small but worthy racial diversity points here for not treating 'white' as default.

Sadly, hair colour does not change, so my red-headed Hawke is going to be an odd one out, it would seem.

But, the question begs: Is Hawke's as epic a tale as Bioware has said? The Warden was an almighty warrior/omnipotent mage/devilish rogue who had their hand in killing three High Dragons, a Varterral, The Harvester, a ton of golems, drakes, ogres, broodmothers, and demons, is a friend of human, dwarf, and dalish, more or less is single-handedly responsible for bringing a new King/Queen to Ferelden and Orzammar, and damn near single-handedly rips apart the darkspawn blight, right up to and including slaying the Archdemon, one of the old gods. That's a lot to live up to, without even mentioning the ancillary stuff like the Dark Wolf, or Commander of the Grey.

Does Hawke, the Champion of Kirkwall, become more epic than all of that? Might edit this post after playing tomorrow.

BehattedWanderer:
But, the question begs: Is Hawke's as epic a tale as Bioware has said? The Warden was an almighty warrior/omnipotent mage/devilish rogue who had their hand in killing three High Dragons, a Varterral, The Harvester, a ton of golems, drakes, ogres, broodmothers, and demons, is a friend of human, dwarf, and dalish, more or less is single-handedly responsible for bringing a new King/Queen to Ferelden and Orzammar, and damn near single-handedly rips apart the darkspawn blight, right up to and including slaying the Archdemon, one of the old gods. That's a lot to live up to, without even mentioning the ancillary stuff like the Dark Wolf, or Commander of the Grey.

Does Hawke, the Champion of Kirkwall, become more epic than all of that? Might edit this post after playing tomorrow.

That epic tale is one that BioWare has done in every single one of their games. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hell out of them. But I very much welcome a different kind of story.

Great review, gonna pick up the signature edition tommorrow.Can't wait!

Madkipz:

inventory / gear management: gone
talents and abilities: linear and streamlined.
Amount of pausing the game during a fight or putting actual thought into anything other than who you want to be friends with: 0
So basically anything that required you to do something is gone, its now an interactive movie with choice. Not much of a game.

Not that i dont mind movies nor complain but to call it the pinnacle of rpgs is an insult to baldurs gate. ^_^

Uh...I've played the demo and from what I could tell, all of that is available in the game.

Talents and inventory are streamlined a little, but nothing drastic. The dialogue wheel is well done and avoids sticking to Mass Effect's formula. Pausing in combat is a REQUIREMENT if you want to survive, and the tactics system is fully intact.

Honestly, you're complaining about things that just aren't true.

I'm certain this game is going to be amazing, though Greg, ya really think it's a good idea to recommend stealing it? We gotta support our developers!

DustyDrB:

BehattedWanderer:

That epic tale is one that BioWare has done in every single one of their games. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the hell out of them. But I very much welcome a different kind of story.

I enjoy a different story as well, but 'man takes care of his town and family' was Fable's thing, and I got a little bored with Fable. I'll be playing in less than 24 hours, but I'm still hesitant. Bioware so far has been great about making their games feel epic, like you're really doing something meaningful, but from what I've heard of Hawke, his tale seems sub-par, so far. I await playing.

This reviewer... just wow. Talk about clueless. Pinnacle of computer role-playing games? And why does he mention Skyrim at all? They're not very comparable, and after Oblivion my expectations are set fairly low for that game.

What kind of Dwarf is BEARDLESS!? That is HERESY!! By Moradin's beard, I swear had I known this I would not have pre-ordered this game to promote such sacrilege >:U

Back to the topic at hand: On the other hand I'm not really sure about this one. I can only speak from the demo, but it being called the pinanacle of the RPG is probably going a little far; that position is already claimed by Planescape: Torment.

IMO it almost seems like Bioware is coming to be hailed as a grand RPG developer because they are one of the three triple A developers that actually make RPGs. But... I'm not so sure they're actually as good as my RPG starved brain thinks then are. >_>;;

The towns are basically empty, and I got halfway through the demo by smashing the auto-attack button. How the hell does this deserve a perfect score?

Talcon:
The towns are basically empty, and I got halfway through the demo by smashing the auto-attack button. How the hell does this deserve a perfect score?

shockingly the demo only has one difficulty and it was just to show off pretty much.

I think the person who has played the FULL VERSION knows a bit more about it.

Talcon:

Maybe because he didn't review the demo...

OT: Can't wait for steam to let me play!!! Grrr... Damn you Steam let me play my game!!!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here