Extra Punctuation: Let's Talk About Let's Play

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

LP's are usually really fun. The point about them showing the game as it really is is a good one. Which is why I really love the Quick Looks over at Giant Bomb as well. Kind of tiny LP's of just 15-60 minutes of a game, to show how it plays. They are usually making the videos before the games come out as well, so I find that to be the best way to see how new games look before buying. You will have to sit there and be annoyed when the players don't get things, or overlook things, but that happens in LP's as well.

mobsterlobster:
The only Let's Plays I've ever watched were Spoony's SWAT 4 Let's Plays. They were hilarious.

Spoony's Let's Play of Phantasmagoria 2 is my favorite video (series) on the entire internet. It's AMAZING. His SWAT 4 and Ripper LPs are pretty great too, though Phantasmagoria 2 is still my favorite of the bunch.

Aw, no love for Khad yet? His LPs of Thief and Amnesia (which can be found on his website) are brilliant. I'm also a huge fan of the Deadly Premonition LP as well.

LPs are great when you want to get the full experience of the story of a game, but don't have the time to invest in the games themselves, or the money for the required console. I've actually bought a few games on the basis of LPs I've watched (and in the DP thread, I think the number of people who followed suit there is in the dozens) so they're not directly comparable to pirating.

Although I agree the SA forums are the best place to watch LPs, there are an awful invasion of bad posters there. Apart for a few threads, generally they are full of whitenoise by new users praising the game, the author and contributing nothing to the discussion of the game. It's the worst suboforum there because of the posters.

Let's plays do not really interest me. The only two to catch my interest are our very own Internet Kraken's Reveredtour and the Epic of Boatmurdered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDs8vDPLSRc

this is like the greatest let's play of amnesia: the dark descent ha. actually its the only one i've ever watched but i do enjoy it very much. quite hilarious

Lately, I've been watching some let's plays on the unforgotten realms website. Since Robert Moran went off the escapist he have only posted three new UR episodes, but in the last couple of weeks he has made three new episodic LPs, one alone (minecraft), one with a friend (Super Mario World) and one with two friends (Magicka).

The most important thing about lets plays is a player who knows when to shut the fuck up and who is not annoying.
Lotus prince does a good job at that and he also highlights the highlights of the games rather well.
You get to appreciate that after hearing some bloke on youtube constantly eating into the mike and screaming "epiic" every 5 minutes during cutscenes in a shadow of the colossus review.

I've recently became a bit of an LP addict, myself. I even decided to try my hand at making a few of my own, as a hobby. I've been told I have a good voice (which is shocking, because while what I hear of my voice sounds fine, what I hear in recordings of my voices makes me sound like a retard), but I have a feeling I still need to work on the commentary a bit. But hey... if you want to tell me differently, well, the link's right there.

For those out there looking for some really good Let's Plays, I recommend the videos of ProtonJon, Chuggaaconroy, and NintendoCapriSun.

Good article -- a worthy topic indeed.

However there's one thing I don't understand. You say you don't have time to fully play through all these games, which is perfectly understandable. But somehow you DO have time to sit and watch through Lets Play videos, which are themselves more or less a 1:1 ratio to the game's actual play time? How does that make any sense? The videos are slightly shorter due to editing out reloads/deaths and stuff, but it still takes a long time to watch the full things. Couldn't you just as well be using the time you watch these videos to more fully play the games themselves?

One let's play i'd recommend to you Yathzee is L0rd Vega's let's play Silent Hill Blind. Its hilarious the guy is pretty funny. He doesn't make videos anymore but he also did Silent hill 2 and 3 Blind as well (never played before)
http://www.youtube.com/user/l0rdvega?blend=1&ob=4#p/c/034CD93FE1064E17/0/gohueoxltWA

Lord Blackthorne revenge which were also pretty damn funny.
http://www.youtube.com/user/l0rdvega?blend=1&ob=4#p/c/C9A6B30111FDC8B4/0/9fk_Ja7Q0Ys

Also another gem i found is RantasticProduction's Chris Redfield resident evil 1 knife run pretty funny as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RantasticProductions#p/u/22/Q-ym-4Lu4kE

Anyways it made me want to do let's play myself, but i wonder if i should be the chatty type or the silent type. Personnaly i prefer silent lets plays but i have heard some pretty funny guy when watching let's plays but it depends on the voice actor.

Two Best Friends Play is pretty awesome. Not really a LP. I think those are kinda lame. You have to be pretty funny to make a thing like this watchable.

I find Rosy and Paw's LPs of old text-based adventure games are quite entertaining, but the best guys I've seen are these guys on Machinema on Youtube who do the "Two Best Friends Play" series. They're not exactly LPs since they don't play the entire game all the way through, but the short clips they show you are hilarious to watch.

Unrelated edit: My capacha read "Unexorated One". WTF? Is it calling me names now?

Thank you for posting the links, the Archive site is awesome. Also great article!

im not sure if its a lets play, but i watch Mack and Mesh play a load of games inc doom 3, HL2 and F.E.A.R. and its some of the funniests and amazing videoness i've found on the internet.

All in favor of calling Chip & Ironicus "The 50 cent guys" from now on say I.

Jaqen Hghar:
LP's are usually really fun. The point about them showing the game as it really is is a good one. Which is why I really love the Quick Looks over at Giant Bomb as well. Kind of tiny LP's of just 15-60 minutes of a game, to show how it plays. They are usually making the videos before the games come out as well, so I find that to be the best way to see how new games look before buying. You will have to sit there and be annoyed when the players don't get things, or overlook things, but that happens in LP's as well.

Not forgetting the endurance runs, they really are full LPs of Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition.

At first, I thought "doesn't make their monitors explode" meant disliking those camcorder/watermarked videos. Indeed, those tend to have only 5 or so views each and dislikes because of blinding quality and/or a speechless kid behind the bad microphone.

As for me, I do go for the comedic (though sometimes irritating) effect of a-capella tunes and jokes, but I also comment on level design, like how Super Mario Sunshine's Pachinko machine's physics are terrible or how the jetpack adds to the experience.

jamesbob006:

I... just remembered it was them. As is the main retsupurae team, their duo is hilarious.

I watch a fairly decent (In my limited experience) LP'er on Youtube called Mangaminx. She only LPs horror games, and it's fairly amusing to watch. I find it really useful actually, because it lets me get someone else's take on the game and it also helps me get my fix of gaming whilst I can still, ostentatiously at least, do work at the same time. Good stuff.
Mangaminx's Channel for those who might wish to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mangaminx?blend=2&ob=1

One can't say enough about Deceased Crab especially as he did Lets Plays of several of Yahtzee's own games, and yes I know Yahtzee has seen them I've seen his comments on youtube.. also I know DC from college and he really is like that in real life too...

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeceasedCrab

I got interested in the LP scene some time ago, first with Boatmurdered (A phenomenon many DF players try to reproduce... but there is only one Boatmurdered so far!), then other LPers, like ProtonJonSA, DeceasedCrab, Slowbeef and Diabeetus, most of the old LPers, along with newer peeps like Mangaminx, Northernlion, Michaelfox, etc etc.

And then, of course, there's myself (although I have to take a hiatus, for reasons I won't go into). I try my best to LP the games I play with at least a measure of humour and respect (or, if I find I've lost all respect for a game, like Dragonshard (not shown on YouTube), I'll snark at it over the cutscenes), and, as such, I've basically tried to avoid everything I've ever disliked about YouTube LPs. So I follow these informal rules (mostly)

1) Thou Shalt Not Faff About Too Much.
2) If there is voice, Thou Shalt Not Talk Over It Incessantly.
3) If a game is hard, it's hard. Don't be dissing the section you spent almost an entire video dying on.
4) The game is the important thing. Your opinion is secondary. You, yourself, are tertiary.

As to commentary over post-recording? I honestly prefer commentary. You get to show honest reactions to the game, and, while you do miss stuff sometimes, any LPer will look back over their vids, and mention any cockups they may have made. If not, their fans correct them, and if they ignore that... well, that's no good!

Anyways, TLDR: I LP, of the YouTube LPers, I like lots, including newer guys like NorthernLion and michaelfox, I LP , Runaway Guys and Freelance Astronauts rock, don't be a big wally when LPing yerself, prefer commenting "live".

im surprised you got around to mentioning SA LP forum AND youtube LPs without mentioning RETSUPRAE

http://www.youtube.com/user/retsupurae

Wow, he actually said something, anything was good and of worth. You don't see that every day.

Spacehouse:
im surprised you got around to mentioning SA LP forum AND youtube LPs without mentioning RETSUPRAE

http://www.youtube.com/user/retsupurae

Heh, the number of times that name has been invoked among LPers as a boogeyman, whether among friends or to describe videos we dislike... Thing is, it's Slowbeef and Diabeetus, and they know their shiz.

Didn't have time to read the whole thread, so sorry if these have been pointed out before:

One of the "50-cent guys", General Ironicus, is black. His collaboration with Chip Cheezum has produced some of the best LP's ever (my personal favorite is their LP of Metal Gear Solid 3, due to Cheezum's dedication to showing off EVERY easter egg in every game he plays).

The lack of quality control on youtube doesn't mean there aren't any good LP's on there (I see DeceasedCrab has been mentioned on this page), and it also opens the door for the MST3K-style "Retsuprae" (which mocks the low-quality LP's that youtube is flooded with).

A good resource for finding good LP's is the TV Tropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle8zx0nomxzqc5?from=Main.LetsPlay

It has recommendations from not just the lp archives and forums, but from other sources like youtube, so you don't have to sift through all the crap yourself.

Its not always effective though. My dad (who is a legit gamer) often spends the time my brother and I are at his house watching us play games. Thus his criticisms often are skewed. Some games that are fun to play, are no fun to watch.

Xman490:

jamesbob006:

I... just remembered it was them. As is the main retsupurae team, their duo is hilarious.

Chip and Ironicus don't run the YT Retsupurae channel (Slowbeef and Diabetus do.) What're you on about?

That would explain a lot about your ZP stuff...

My two favorite LP's by far are Freeman's Mind and UltraJMan's LP for I Wanna Be The Guy.

Freeman's Mind is especially amazing because of the audio editing done to match situations, and the fact that it gives Freeman character development. Only downside is it takes him forever to put new videos up.

UltraJMan's LP for IWBTG is great because it shows the effect IWBTG can have on a person's head.

Obviously most people will be familiar with Spoony's Lets Play's of Phantasmagoria 2 and Ripper but if you have missed them, they're really some of the finest in the genre.

I also like The Heartless on YT, despite having a very different style. A lot more spontaneous and less caustic but genuinely funny throughout. http://www.youtube.com/user/666theheartless666

Chip and Ironicus don't do THE Retsupurae channel, but they do have one as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChipCheezumSA#p/u/5/fxHcF9ePiQo

JodaSFU:

Xman490:

jamesbob006:

Chip and Ironicus don't run the YT Retsupurae channel (Slowbeef and Diabetus do.) What're you on about?

Chip and Ironicus have ChipCheesumSA (or something like that), another channel with "retupuraes" separate from the channel "retsupurae" run by Slowbeef and Diabetus.

Look at the post right above you.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or