Critical Miss: Evil, Evidently

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Puddle Jumper:
Of course! Don't you know anything about SCIENCE?

Ahahahahahaha.

I was thinking the same thing.

Jumplion:

hippo24:

Jumplion:
. I doubt they'd know what "subtly" is if it hit them square in the face.

This is possibly the 5rd or 6th best sentence I've ever read.

Being hit in the face with subtly...it's like you crammed a metaphor into a paradox, loaded it into an analogy, and shot it as an insult. Seriously, I don't know if it was intentional but someone needs to hand you an award(or at least a printable certificate).

I dunno, I thought that was a common expression? Like "You wouldn't know [whatever it is] even if it [something it does]!"

Yes it is.
But some people wouldn´t know a common expression if it was explicitly pointed out to them on the internet! (We are so bloody meta, I´m about half a sentence away from pointing out how meta this is).

But anyway.
I think Killzone is hilarious.
Yes, they made the enemy look and act like space nazis, but the first time my mate explained the plot of the game to me, I had no idea who to root for.
I then read up on the timeline off the games, and I still have no idea who to root for.

I think we have a rare case of total, unintended, idiot-plot-induced moral ambiguity.
Good times.

TheAmazingHobo:

Jumplion:

hippo24:

Being hit in the face with subtly...it's like you crammed a metaphor into a paradox, loaded it into an analogy, and shot it as an insult. Seriously, I don't know if it was intentional but someone needs to hand you an award(or at least a printable certificate).

I dunno, I thought that was a common expression? Like "You wouldn't know [whatever it is] even if it [something it does]!"

Yes it is.
But some people wouldn´t know a common expression if it was explicitly pointed out to them on the internet! (We are so bloody meta, I´m about half a sentence away from pointing out how meta this is).

But anyway.
I think Killzone is hilarious.
Yes, they made the enemy look and act like space nazis, but the first time my mate explained the plot of the game to me, I had no idea who to root for.
I then read up on the timeline off the games, and I still have no idea who to root for.

I think we have a rare case of total, unintended, idiot-plot-induced moral ambiguity.
Good times.

Actually, I think that's what I like about the story. I see a lot of people siding with the Helghast, even if it is just for giggles and shits, but it does actually show a parallel with Nazi Germany. That and it could easily be argued that the ISA are the "true" bad guys here, invading them home (though the Helghast started it, but the ISA continued it, blah blah blah)

It's not the most sophisticated story out there, but I think it gets the job right in the areas in needs to.

Just wait till a peaceful alien race shows up on Earth and has fiery glowing red eyes.

Gaming will have sealed their fate ;).

Eico:

Misho-:

Ghengis John:
I try to tell people "This series is just world war II, in space." Then they rage at me about how it's not and it's an all original story line that's so inventive and if I just played it and appreciated it and loved it and wanted to marry it like they did maybe I'd finally see that I was wrong all along and...

No.

What? Do they not teach history in school anymore? Why can't these kids see this? Every time I run into these guys I have to pull out wikipedia and educate them myself. Now it's fine to love you some world war two in space. Just you know, be willing to admit it's world war two in space.

But Stalin was one of the good guys in WW2... Oh wait right... Communism equals eveel so it's okay then. Why not throw Castro in there too?

Firstly: There is no good in war. Period.

Second: Russia was neutral in the war. The only reason they were considered allies is because they were fighting back the Germans. Who, you know, invaded them. Russia couldn't care less about the rest of us at that point.

Russia was not neutral in WWII. If someone is fighting in a war they are not neutral. They are on a side and Russia was on ours. Killzone seems like the most idealized apple pie world war 2 that we have ever produced but its in space so foreigners aren't bitching at us too much for it.

Canid117:

Eico:

Misho-:

But Stalin was one of the good guys in WW2... Oh wait right... Communism equals eveel so it's okay then. Why not throw Castro in there too?

Second: Russia was neutral in the war. The only reason they were considered allies is because they were fighting back the Germans. Who, you know, invaded them. Russia couldn't care less about the rest of us at that point.

Russia was not neutral in WWII. If someone is fighting in a war they are not neutral. They are on a side and Russia was on ours. Killzone seems like the most idealized apple pie world war 2 that we have ever produced but its in space so foreigners aren't bitching at us too much for it.

Russia was fighting on Russia's side.

Eico:

Canid117:

Eico:

During the war we were on each others side. (Seeing as how we were official allies and sent each other support)

Canid117:

Eico:

Canid117:

During the war we were on each others side. (Seeing as how we were official allies and sent each other support)

That was the party line, yes. But Russia couldn't have cared any less about their allies - save for the fact we were helping them. As the U.S would like you to believe, the allied forces were in the war to stop Nazi Germany and 'save the world'. Russia was simply in it to get Germany out of Russia (and pocket a few neighboring countries while they are at it).

I like that the city was SUBTLY named Pyrrhus.

Ghengis John:
I try to tell people "This series is just world war II, in space." Then they rage at me about how it's not and it's an all original story line that's so inventive and if I just played it and appreciated it and loved it and wanted to marry it like they did maybe I'd finally see that I was wrong all along and...

No.

What? Do they not teach history in school anymore? Why can't these kids see this? Every time I run into these guys I have to pull out wikipedia and educate them myself. Now it's fine to love you some world war two in space. Just you know, be willing to admit it's world war two in space.

Never admit defeat even if your wrong!

The Imp:
I still say the Hellgast armor is a cheap Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade rip-off.

Yeah, the first time i saw Jin-Roh i was quite suprised that the designs were almost exactly the same.

Jumplion:

hippo24:

Jumplion:
. I doubt they'd know what "subtly" is if it hit them square in the face.

Yes, the expression is common-place, but given the subject matter...
How does one get hit in the face subtly?
Hmm..
It's pure genius
Thats how!!

...Future Kings and Helghastian-space-nazi will obviously look back on this thread as the height of literary achievement in this century.

This still doesn't stop me from loving this series and wishing that I will be able to play a Helghast campaign one day. What would be a great step in writing and creativity would be to make a game about the First Extrasolar War and portray the Earth government ISA as being the cruel bastards that drove the Helghans to become Space Nazis.

Then again, perhaps the next step in the series is to have the Earth government try and take over Vekta directly after it has been weakened by Operation Archangel.

Anyway, yes the Helghast are not terribly original, but they are endearing because of it. Come on, those glowing eyes have never made fascsim look so sleak and cool.

Grey Carter:
If only because it proves there are writers out there worse than I am.

Trust me, it doesn't.

Hubilub:

Grey Carter:

Trust me, it doesn't.

Tara Gillespe...

Sir John the Net Knight:

Hubilub:

Grey Carter:

Trust me, it doesn't.

Tara Gillespe...

With her work, at least there is the possibility that it's written the way it is purposefully to make people facepalm, in which case it is a brilliant work of troll art and not simply the retard scribblings of a horny teenage goth.

Not so much with this.

Although I will give it to them that even though they can hardly meet up to the standards of mainstream videogame writers (or kindergarteners), they are at least better than the Name Game.

Hubilub:

Sir John the Net Knight:

Hubilub:

Trust me, it doesn't.

Tara Gillespe...

With her work, at least there is the possibility that it's written the way it is purposefully to make people facepalm, in which case it is a brilliant work of troll art and not simply the retard scribblings of a horny teenage goth.

Not so much with this.

Although I will give it to them that even though they can hardly meet up to the standards of mainstream videogame writers (or kindergarteners), they are at least better than the Name Game.

I dunno, I've chuckled at this comic quite a few times. It can't be all that bad. It has it's hits and misses. Not every comic is Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes. I'd actually say this is one of the better features on this site.

Sir John the Net Knight:

Hubilub:

Sir John the Net Knight:

Tara Gillespe...

Not so much with this.

I dunno, I've chuckled at this comic quite a few times. It can't be all that bad. It has it's hits and misses. Not every comic is Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes. I'd actually say this is one of the better features on this site.

I wouldn't be surprised if it made people chuckle. When your entire repertoire consists of nothing but references to other games or movies, somehow somewhere somebody is going to see a reference to their favorite thing and have a little laugh.

Doesn't mean that it's clever.

Hubilub:

I wouldn't be surprised if it made people chuckle. When your entire repertoire consists of nothing but references to other games or movies, somehow somewhere somebody is going to see a reference to their favorite thing and have a little laugh.

One might say the same about The Three Stooges, but I laugh my ass off at that. It's a matter of taste.

Hubilub:

Sir John the Net Knight:

Hubilub:

Not so much with this.

Wait, what are you talking about? Name Game or Critical Miss?

The Real Sandman:
The one on the left looks like Hitler's emo twin! XD

Who, this guy?

Of course! Don't you know anything about science?

2 hitler's..... Don't you know anything about SCIENCE!

damn soneone beat me to it...

Even "Hell-Ghast" but I have to admit I like it, something doesn't have to be self-aware to be relishable and the bad guys of Killzone 3 are definitely meant to be far more interesting than anyone else :D

I'm fairly sure somebody has already mentioned this, but..... BOBBY KOTICK?

With a daughter that cute he has to be a great father!

Isn't that Lady Gaga saying "Father"? 'Cause if it is, that's some evil shit right there. LOL

What they should make is Joseph Stalin and Mao Zedong growing an army of genetically enhanced Hitlers to subjugate the world an...

Oh wait, this has been done before.

Misho-:
I see Stahl in that pic you posted and automaticaaly think: Billy Bob Thorton.

I saw it too! We gotta keep this in mind for movie adaptation.

Misho-:
Well since we're ranting about education, perhaps one of you could tell me who I'm paraphrasing:

"It's not the cause that justifies the war, but the war that justifies the cause"

I'll give you a hint, it's the same guy who said, "What does not kill me, makes me stronger."

I know, I know! Charlie Sheen! LOL

Indeed very evil I bet babies around the world are crying. Very funny guys keep up the good work

wooty:
Add one Maggie Thatcher into that mix and there, theres your truly evil and terrifying leadership caste.

You've just reminded me of this:

Catchy Slogan:

wooty:
Add one Maggie Thatcher into that mix and there, theres your truly evil and terrifying leadership caste.

You've just reminded me of this:

24 years old and spitting image Maggie still scares the bejesus out of me.

If I remember correctly, it was originally marketed as a futuristic World War II.

I mean, the Helghan were constantly (and affectionately) referred to as 'Space Nazis'.

Which, in my opinion, is suitably awesome enough to simply accept and move on.

Hubilub:

Your gratuitous insults aside, I will agree that Killzone 3 is rather hilarious if all of the hyperbole is intentional, and that it is equally pretentious to contend that it is the result of poor writing without knowing whether that is the case.

If it isn't, on the other hand, then Grey Carter is certainly at the very least on-par with whoever is responsible for what would then be the travesty called Killzone 3. Not that it is especially probable that he was serious either, but still.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here