Tales from the Table: Pilot Episode

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Aussies all the way..
"And stop stealing gold. I'm trying to save up for a car"

Rotting Corpse:
Sorry, but I am not of the popular opinion here. The whole dnd gaming jokes around the table have been done much better in other places(Knights of the Dinner Table). The characters are all bad stereotypes we've seen a dozen times before in satire of table top gaming. They weren't even funny.

Tell me if even one of these things hasn't been to death; one of the characters is a girl, one of the guys actually managed to get a girlfriend, and of course the archer is an elf. We've seen this done before and better, there's nothing original about any of this.

For all of you that liked this, please go look into the comic book Knights of the Dinner Table, same set up, better characters, and better and funnier jokes and story.

I didn't laugh at all :< Not something I will be keeping an eye out for.

i expected the worst
in the end it wasn't too bad
the jokes weren't bad... but bad executed

and seriously? ANOTHER show on D&D?
i'm going with my very first thought and say: "unforgotten realms live-action ripoff"

I didn't laugh out load or chuckle or anything and I had to pause half-way through it was painful but I am willing to give it a few more views.

the part about with the girl commenting about how wouldn't want a girlfriend just reaffirmed that I still don't get the male fascination with girl on girl. And yes I have seen the "Duh" and "1+1=2" arguments before.

It's spooky how close this mirrors my own D&D group. We have the womanizer who always seduces NPC and other players, the soft spoken girl who's really into the game, the anti-player who steals from everyone, and the guy who actually has a girlfriend who shows up and pointedly ignores the fun we're having. I guess that would make me the overly dramatic DM who has to keep them on track. Go figure.

Stevey M:
Did anyone else hear the music and think "isn't this the song they play on EpicMealTime?"

My goodness! You're right!
*runs off to make bacon*

I'm really excited for this show! I have been since the film contest. I think the pilot is succinct and funny as all get out. Keep up the good work!

After about 2 minutes the sound got REALLY quiet I found, but was better again after about the 4 minute mark (but was still rather quiet compared to others on The Escapist. An increase in the volume and this would be worth its weight in Gold.

Great job guys, I'm looking forward to watching this series.

somonels:
"Hmm, another D&D session based series is piloting.. I approve." *click* *stare* "hmm..."
Bottom line: I disapprove.

A few keywords: acted, heavy editing, lame stereotypes of bad stereotypes, world jumping.
It wants to be The Gamers, but ultimately feels more like the 8-bit Reenactment of D&D, which I want to virtually strangle until it's virtual eyes pop out.

I agree. Compared to Unforgotten Realms and I Hit It With My Axe I feel this is subpar. And I really hate the stereotyping of geeks and the over-acting.

I love it, its a lot better than I Hit It With My Axe in my opinion and I think it has a lot of potential. I would be happy if they dropped it to every 2 weeks though to make sure they release good eps rather than rush anything.

Overall, awesome work and cant wait to see more!

SqueakyJack:
you Troll-faced Cock-jugglers are REPRESENTING THE WHOLE TABLE TOP CROWD.

No they're not. At what point did you get that impression? The show is not aimed at YOU, the hardcore Gamer that you are, its a jovial jibe at Table top gaming. You guys sit on your thrones of abuse and judgement claiming that you're being misrepresented and cry bloody murder when someone attempts to crack open the self made shell that you find yourselves so comfortably in. You want a fair assessment of your lifestyle and then cry foul when anyone attempts to bridge the gap between the view you have of yourself as a table top gamer and what the rest of the world sees you as. Give your feedback, criticize if you like but don't come in all high and mighty looking for a reason to Troll, you just come off sounding like a twat.

Holy shit. You mean there's a show that satirizes tabletop gamers that doesn't paint the only female character as the voice of reason? This is new.

loving it

potentially awesome

am I the only one who thought this was simply way over the top? I'm an avid tabletop and pen and paper gamer but come on...

Really, guys? We're still doing the "people who play D&D are hopelessly antisocial nerds" thing?

I'm sorry, but The Gamers did it first and much, much better.

To be constructive: if these players had been new to RPGs, but acting like total prats because that's what Hollywood had conditioned them to think D&D was all about, then I'd applaud you for a clever premise. But it's made clear that they've been playing for awhile, and as a group, which means there's no excuse for this behavior. This is just another painful attempt to pull a little more comedy out of a long-dried well. You're just presenting gamer stereotypes that were outdated in the 90's, without any kind of twist.

Sorry, I don't normally criticize new shows, but this pilot just irked me to my core.

When are we getting Doraleous and Associates back?

As someone who never touched DnD, have a "meh". Nothing was really interesting, leave alone funny, but I'd watch it for a couple of more episodes. The in-universe scenes were kinda pointless as it as just people walking from nowhere to nowhere and the group of players wasn't sympathetic at all for me (leave for the... what's he called, Dungeon Master? Only Sane Man).

I'm probably not in the target audience, but I would like you to have my feedback as well.

P.S.
Had to increase sound volume for this video, dunno if it's a fault at my end or yours.

Woah. It's like Axe, but without the silly gimmick like "THAR AR PRON STARS".

I approve.

You know now that I have read the thing underneath the video. I just hope the once a two weeks episodes will be a tad longer than five minutes. Just my criticism.

Disappointing. I know we're not supposed to post anything negative without offering constructive criticism, but... wow. I don't think there was a single stereotype or gag we haven't seen dozens of time before and generally done better.

Here's your constructive criticism. Maybe someday someone should try a tabletop gaming (or OMG LARP!) web video/comic where not all of the players are dysfunctional losers with overwhelming pathological fears of soap/shaving/daylight/the opposite sex and the GM isn't an overbearing control freak? Web content like this defines roleplaying culture to others outside the hobby and the overwhelming impression it leaves isn't pretty. Hell, at least back in the 80s when the popular impression was that gamers were all Satanists people took us seriously.

OK, so you can't make the funny if your cast consists entirely of psychologically healthy characters. I get that. At least try to shake up the formula a little. Maybe try different stereotypes besides the same tired three of four flavors of nerd. Gamers come from every social group and I think gaming has the potential to appeal to an even larger huge chunk of the human spectrum.

Anyway, this is a little preachier than I wanted to get. Bottom line: you solicited comments and Tales From the Table didn't appeal to me. Clearly it did to others. Good luck.

I must not be the target audience for this video series because I didn't even smile while watching. Guess I need to play some DnD and experience it first hand to understand some of the humor.

Until then though, I think this'll be a series that I forgo.

I smiled. Once.

I have now officially smiled more times than when i watched Game Dogs and Doraeolus.

But the show is still godawful.

Has potential, but needs more time, I feel, to have better build up.
I've read Knights of the Dinnertable and watched The Gamers on Youtube and they do it with style. Learn from them, I'm sure you've already might have done, and evolve.

It's good. But it needs more time. None of the characters were really established and nothing really happened.

(Also, Star Wars bedsheets perhaps playing it a bit safe in terms of nerd parodying.)

Best of luck.

^^ I like it...I look forward to see more episodes!

*throws his D20*

Marik Bentusi:

I'm probably not in the target audience, but I would like you to have my feedback as well.

Hells yeah! Well said. Your kind of feedback is very constructive

Tower 87:

SqueakyJack:
you Troll-faced Cock-jugglers are REPRESENTING THE WHOLE TABLE TOP CROWD.

No they're not. At what point did you get that impression? The show is not aimed at YOU, the hardcore Gamer that you are, its a jovial jibe at Table top gaming. You guys sit on your thrones of abuse and judgement claiming that you're being misrepresented and cry bloody murder when someone attempts to crack open the self made shell that you find yourselves so comfortably in. You want a fair assessment of your lifestyle and then cry foul when anyone attempts to bridge the gap between the view you have of yourself as a table top gamer and what the rest of the world sees you as. Give your feedback, criticize if you like but don't come in all high and mighty looking for a reason to Troll, you just come off sounding like a twat.

If you think I'm offended because they're are making fun of Table-toppers, you misunderstood.
I'm offended because shit like this makes ALL table-toppers look bad. It's the same as if I made a video series about a black guy that eats watermelon and drinks 40s while him and his friends steal cars and rob people at gunpoint. IT MAKES EVERYONE LOOK THE SAME.

Secondly, I gave my honest opinion about it, I'm not 'trolling'...

Lastly, Yes. They are representing the whole of table top gaming because they made that their full and complete basis for the show. Just as the Guild represents MMO'ers, and Big Bang Theory represents Nerds and Geeks.

SqueakyJack:
Lastly, Yes. They are representing the whole of table top gaming because they made that their full and complete basis for the show. Just as the Guild represents MMO'ers, and Big Bang Theory represents Nerds and Geeks.

What i find really interesting is how defensive some (not all, some) DnD players are getting about the character reps in this show and the show doesn't even mentioned that it's actually DnD. The other interesting point is how concerned many individuals of the escapist community are about being stereotyped. Stereotypes exist for a reason and it is not always a bad thing. Chances are if YOU are offended by the portrayals in this series, you probably have greater issues to address in your life than the integrity of this show. We identify with the good and bad aspects of characters with or without meaning to and it can bring to attention the best or the worst in us.

I personally am a female gamer who gets really self-conscious about being crap at times when I play with my guy friends who devote far more time to gaming than i do. Because of that, they ARE better than me and yes, I actually get a huge compliment when my male brethren compliment me when I do a good job! Call the feminist police! Maybe that makes me a cliche and I'm so NOT doing it for my sistas, but it's just one reality. People are individuals and one actor cannot embody an entire archetype, that's ridiculous. Your actually giving this 5 minute show way too much credit if you're assuming that and insulting the escapist community who can think for themselves and be objective.

BTW When i watch Big Bang Theory (if at all), all I see is that dude that used to be in Rosanne *chuckles*

TfTT has some great points; strong prod values, great costumes, i think the acting was great just the editing between shots seemed to slow the pace down a little and the sound was a bit low at times. I'm excited about where it's going. Awesome Show, Great Job :)

If Big Bang Theory Offends NErds then Those Nerds Have Serious Issues!

when is the first new episode coming out?

Freshskills:
when is the first new episode coming out?

It said in two weeks. so... the 25th? I'm so interested to see where this series goes. I can't wait. Buuuut I guess I'll have to.

This looked cute. I do however agree with the comments above, I've seen the same idea before and done better, but I'll give it a shot. It actually really reminds me of a youtube movie I watched years ago called The Gamers (Here's the link to episode 1 if any one is interested, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTEHqAeanw it's really good and funny). I'd like to see where this is going, although I didn't find the jokes to be that funny, I'm sure they will improve. I am excited for a new series on the escapist however!

Welcome to the Escapist and Good Luck!

Very Nice. I'm looking forward to more videos.

Pilot definitely made me laugh.
As others have said, the volume needs to be higher, as I have a very hard time discerning what they're saying.
I still want to see more, though.

It's like looking into a portal where stero types match reality.
I have been that GM at times.
STFU.
Often said by my players that they come just to watch my blood pressure rise.
But the girl friend well I haven't had that everyone one just drops off there guy and thats it.
But we have had the awkard interuption is for sure when you sort of have an open door policy at your house and someone comes in and they are...
Well there like deer in the head lights, they walk in and they know that you play but it's like when someone walks in on you having sex they should walk away but there just drawn to it like a train wreck...
I should just lock the doors and air less dirty laundry...

Its well shot and there were a few funny bits here and there, but it wasnt laugh out loud for me. But its only the pilot episode, so ill watch a few more before i form a more elaborate opinion. As for constructive criticism, id recommend heavy doses of Order of the Stick and Knights of the Dinner Table to the writing staff. There are a lot of good ideas to explore in those comics.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here