Trailers: The Secret World Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Secret World Trailer

Explore the factions, characters, and possibilities of The Secret World.

Watch Video

I bet this game would be far better as a single-player game. Idea is interesting, but I cannot see it working in MMOG, people grinding for loot and experience points. Thet'll just demean the whole mystical storyline. When the MMORPG fails, I hope these guys will transform "The Secret World" into a real game instead of letting it fade away...

Haha!

Been waiting for more info on this game.

Hadn't heard anything in a while, I was scared it got canned.

Ok Ragnar, colour me intrigued... just hurry up and finish this so you can get started on finishing The Longest Journey: Dreamfall. Beacuse you know, that never really ended properly now did it? Hmmm?

Wow, I'm getting a d20 Modern vibe in a very, very, VERY good way.

SFMB:
I bet this game would be far better as a single-player game. Idea is interesting, but I cannot see it working in MMOG, people grinding for loot and experience points. Thet'll just demean the whole mystical storyline. When the MMORPG fails, I hope these guys will transform "The Secret World" into a real game instead of letting it fade away...

Just because it's an MMO doesn't mean there will be grind. Just look at Guild Wars 1 & 2. It's really the payment option that'll gate people who may me interested in the game (me) from buying it. I just wished more MMOs employed the Guild Wars payment system. Buy the game, just like any other game and have a non-intrusive micro transaction model with it.

As for the vid itself. I'm glad it finally gave us more insight into the Secret World but it was kind of over-shadowed by other releases... like the Thief video.

So my character grows in power, but doesn't level? Fascinating. I'd like to see how they're going to do that.

Looks good but the gameplay and combat looks confusing and unfocused.

SFMB:

But if there are no levels, why would you need experience points?

Proverbial Jon:
Ok Ragnar, colour me intrigued... just hurry up and finish this so you can get started on finishing The Longest Journey: Dreamfall. Beacuse you know, that never really ended properly now did it? Hmmm?

Seriously don't end on a cliffhanger like that without a proper sequel planned and on the way.

Interested. Show me more.

Interesting...

...but what do the Illuminati have to do with monsters?

Oh bugger.

When I saw that FunCom logo, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "Ohh, they're finally going to resolve "The Longest Journey". Fuck yeah!"

Disappointment ensued.

Oh well. Whatever this thing is, the aesthetics look interesting and nicely varied. Sadly, the gameplay looks like every other MMORPG ever and is therefore of no interest to me.

Kind of disappointing compared to the original non-gameplay teasers.

The story and setting sounded like a lot of fun, but the combat and gameplay in the new trailer look incredibly generic.

Was also a weird trailer in that it almost seemed like it was put together entirely by the developers, but based on the marketing guy's list of selling points. "Your skill progresses and you go on exciting adventures"? Wow! That doesnt sound at all like every other generic MMO!...

Im hoping its just a generic trailer as opposed to a generic game. Time will tell I guess.

Initial thoughts:

"EA" - Oh...

"Be who you want, play how you want" - I want to be a space fighter pilot.

*Dev's Talking* - This is supposed to convince people to play it??

All in all a rather bad trailer, but despite FunComs failing's I loved AO (my first MMO) and this looks like a very interesting setting for the game so I'm definitely going to try it.

MMO? Xbox 360? TEMPLARS?! Oh Secret World, I think I'm in love... Although I'm hesitant, anytime the word "MMO" and "Xbox 360" are in the same sentence, it's usually "This new almost finished MMO on the Xbox 360 has been canceled due to microsoft being paranoid about the xbox remaining a closed system."

As an MMO, it's very nature makes me skeptical. But it seems different enough to at least have my interest. Let's hear some more about this freedom of development gameplay.

Someone mentioned earlier that this looks like every other MMO (gameplay wise). Maybe. Definitely looks familiar, as far as combat goes. However, if these guys manage to change up something else big enough (like the whole character advancement), then maybe this might be different enough.

Until someone comes out with a mind-blowing, crotch-tingling new MMO, here's to hoping this works.

Now throw in a couple of zombies, and you have everything!

But seriously, this is probably the only MMO ever that piqued my interest...

Ok background for the game looks new (for an MMO) but it's too early to make a call on if it's bad or not. What I fear is that the gameplay with be just like every other MMO and boil down to style and setting preferences. While the chance of disillusionment because they'll fail to make them selves distinctive in gameplay scares me, I'm willing to watch trailers and read a few articles to learn more about it before I make up my mind.

Raiyan 1.0:

Welcome to Kingsmouth

Does that suit your needs?

The Sane:

Raiyan 1.0:

Welcome to Kingsmouth

Does that suit your needs?

Dammit!

Now I gotta choose between zombies and space combat!

Why does life have to be so hard!

Okay first, we all know EA isn't going to let players actually be free without paying $15 a month. Secondly, this doesn't look much different than Champions Online, just more gritty. Third, the combat looks just like traditional point and click, which is pretty outdated at this point. Lastly, I hate RIFT! I am NOT buying it just because it gets shoved down my throat EVERY FREAKING TIME I turn a movie on! In fact, thanks to that, I'm not buying it period!

ok, listening to this does make me hopeful that it is not like the other MMO's out there and by the sounds of things I will prob give it a go

-M

Yes dear, very nice.

Now make The Longest Journey 3

It's Funcom. After Age of Conan I have no faith whatsoever in the company. >.<

Wow

That looks pretty good, I'm definatly keeping an eye on it.
(just hope its not a subscription game like WOW)

Master10K:

SFMB:

Just because it's an MMO doesn't mean there will be grind. Just look at Guild Wars 1 & 2. It's really the payment option that'll gate people who may me interested in the game (me) from buying it. I just wished more MMOs employed the Guild Wars payment system. Buy the game, just like any other game and have a non-intrusive micro transaction model with it.

As for the vid itself. I'm glad it finally gave us more insight into the Secret World but it was kind of over-shadowed by other releases... like the Thief video.

Actually, Ragnar Tørnquist's previous MMO, Anarchy Online, had an optional payment option: real world type ads on in-game posters, television and billboards. It's probably the best strategy I've seen, as not only were they getting in roughly 22$ per month per player, it was very immersively done.

I expect The Secret World to have the same option., but I wuldn't mind a sub.

Another contended to knock WoW off the MMO throne? I have to say as unlikely as it is, I would like to at least give this one a shot.

Ugh... Colour me unimpressed. I've been interested in this game for about a year now. They were touting it as an MMO game changer. So I expected some better combat. Now, in this video, there's a girl standing half of a meter away from a monster and shooting her guns at precise intervals. It looks like yet another game of "right click enemy and mash buttons".

I guess the way to unlock the things you can do with the buttons is different, but is that really enough to change it up?

Plus, the game sounded like it would be grounded in reality before. Like, cities that look normal, but don't go down the alleys. This just looked like non-stop mob grinding.

I really, really hope it comes out better than this. The world they were talking about before sounded perfect to RP in.

Some of the ideas look interesting, but the combat gameplay they showed really puts me off. Those animations need a lot of work.

Ghengis John:
So my character grows in power, but doesn't level? Fascinating. I'd like to see how they're going to do that.

EVE Online's system does that. You rank up skills, any skill you want, but you don't actually level up. I think it's a great system.

DanielBrown:
It's Funcom. After Age of Conan I have no faith whatsoever in the company. >.<

They botched the launch, but AoC is a great game nowadays. At least it was around WoW's WotLK launch, which is when I played it during my WoW break. Very entertaining, and it's only getting better and better apparently. Shame though that it has that stigma thanks to the screwed up launch.

you would not believe how long i have waited for more news on this game, i stubled across it ages ago and just though "yeah...i am going to play the hell out of that!!", worried about how it will work on the xbox though, and if microsoft screw me over on it, theres going to be hell to pay.
also yeah my avatar is from the game ha

Wow, so the game's unique selling point is having no pre-set skill classes. Amazing -_-

Duffeknol:
Wow, so the game's unique selling point is having no pre-set skill classes. Amazing -_-

-An amazing, unique intellectual property
-Actual fuckin intellectual content in an MMO *GASP*
-Ragnar Tørnquist story telling
-Team combos (skills and events based on your team setup that needs teamwork/cooperation to use)
-Three factions
-Sandbox, SANDBOX
-No levels also means no artificial crap to keep people out of content
-ARG stories (have to use real world research to answer some puzzles)
-You can say what you want about AoC, but they are likely the undisputable kings of video game monster design.
-12 years of total production, counting pre-production. A few of the leads on the dev team worked in their spare time too, before the game officially got planned - indicating it is a labor of love
-A soundtrack by the same people who made the Age of Conan soundtrack, still the best sound track in MMO history.
-Depth
-Depth
-Depth
-Immersive quests. You aren't read a dialogue all the time and told what to do. You're given a vague description and have to actually use your brain, eyes and ears.
-500 skills. So far. All unique (no Fireball I, Fireball II, III, IV, V etc.)
-Metagame balance (if someone's skill combinations catches on and spreads because of it's efficiency, some players will make metagame build to specifically counter them instead of it becoming FoTM)

As you can tell I am well informed. All of the above are all things that resonate very positively in my mind. My brain is starving on the MMO's I've been playing and currently play. They're great entertainment, but they have always been damned stupid, automated, easy, dry, generic, grindy, linear, etc you get the point.

So I am looking forward to, for once, having to use my intelligence in an MMO and enjoying a good story I can immerse myself in, while still being able to do the things that made MMO's great, and being good at it.

Metalhandkerchief:

Duffeknol:

-An amazing, unique intellectual property
-Actual fuckin intellectual content in an MMO *GASP*
-Ragnar Tørnquist story telling
-Team combos (skills and events based on your team setup that needs teamwork/cooperation to use)
-Three factions
-Sandbox, SANDBOX
-No levels also means no artificial crap to keep people out of content
-ARG stories (have to use real world research to answer some puzzles)
-You can say what you want about AoC, but they are likely the undisputable kings of video game monster design.
-12 years of total production, counting pre-production. A few of the leads on the dev team worked in their spare time too, before the game officially got planned - indicating it is a labor of love
-A soundtrack by the same people who made the Age of Conan soundtrack, still the best sound track in MMO history.
-Depth
-Depth
-Depth
-Immersive quests. You aren't read a dialogue all the time and told what to do. You're given a vague description and have to actually use your brain, eyes and ears.
-500 skills. So far. All unique (no Fireball I, Fireball II, III, IV, V etc.)
-Metagame balance (if someone's skill combinations catches on and spreads because of it's efficiency, some players will make metagame build to specifically counter them instead of it becoming FoTM)

As you can tell I am well informed. All of the above are all things that resonate very positively in my mind. My brain is starving on the MMO's I've been playing and currently play. They're great entertainment, but they have always been damned stupid, automated, easy, dry, generic, grindy, linear, etc you get the point.

So I am looking forward to, for once, having to use my intelligence in an MMO and enjoying a good story I can immerse myself in, while still being able to do the things that made MMO's great, and being good at it.

Alright. Problem is I didn't get any of that from this trailer... well, except the three factions part (which is not unique anyway but the rest seems pretty neat)

Hey, look everyone!

Unknown Armies!

I'll roll a entrophomancer right away. FEAR MY SCARS!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here