The Escapist Presents: Dragon Age II: Party Profiles: Warrior

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dragon Age II: Party Profiles: Warrior

The Escapist brings you the rundown on the warrior class and the two warrior party members of Dragon Age II.

Watch Video

Skinny pale emo guy with white hair using an oversized weapon? Fenris is such an anime charachter!

So many characters to hate in this game, I miss the old crew. At least Varric is awesome.

"Reh-vell"?

So is he at least semi-tolerable? A scrawny elf wielding a big ass hammer sounds awesome, but that stupid smirk gives a very bad impression

Fr]anc[is:
So is he at least semi-tolerable? A scrawny elf wielding a big ass hammer sounds awesome, but that stupid smirk gives a very bad impression

No. No he is not. Any option you pick that doesn't involve wholesale slaughter of mages makes him pissed off... I tried him out for about 20 mins and it seemed like every time dialogue finished he was more pissed.

Besides, how can you like a character that spends three years living in a mansion without cleaning up the corpses?

Jebusetti:

Fr]anc[is:

No. No he is not. Any option you pick that doesn't involve wholesale slaughter of mages makes him pissed off... I tried him out for about 20 mins and it seemed like every time dialogue finished he was more pissed.

Besides, how can you like a character that spends three years living in a mansion without cleaning up the corpses?

hey he has been a slave all his life
at least he's got a decent reason to be gloomy
allthough my hawke did too and he still remained upbeat and cheery laughing in the face of everyone tag teaming with varric whenever he could
So I guess maybe he could have been tuned down

Fr]anc[is:

depends you either like him or hate him

Jebusetti:

Fr]anc[is:

I noticed that too and just left his emo butt back in his mansion with his pity party. Aveline, while a staunch supporter of rules in general, is also willing to bend the rules as well. I've taken her on a few mission where I was sure she'd disapprove only to be pleasantly surprised with the friendship option of her special tree. Aveline for the win and her commentary with Varric is too damn funny.

Jebusetti:

Fr]anc[is:

Don't forget that every time you go to talk to him romantic music starts playing and both the player character and Fenris seem to be smiling at each other...

I played through the whole game as a warrior/berserker/reaver and rarely used any others. I had Anders, Merrill and Varric the whole time, between them I had enough stun/freeze/disorient to keep anyone from taking too much damage. The sheer amount of physical area damage warriors can do is nuts.

But as far as the Character run down goes..
Anders: I like despite his insanity from Justice, who was actually a cool character in awakening. Vengeance was actually a good talent tree.
Merrill: Awesome mage, funny how dumb she is sometimes.
Aveline: Great, but only used her if I wanted to be lazy with my tactics.
Varric: One of the best characters in Dragon Age since Shale.
Isabella: Pirate Skank.
Fenris: Emo jerk, make it stop, I like mages!.
Bethany: Great supporting character, combat and narrative.

That skinny guy wielding those huge weapons looks stupid. I appreciate that BioWare are trying to go for something new and break with clichés, but at least make it plausible. Seeing the elf fight I'm just waiting for his arms to fall off due to his physics-defying weapon swings.

Fenris is probably my least favourite companion, because I'm tired of Wolverine-esque brooding ex-super soldier experiments in general. That said, having him and Anders in the party together generates some great banter, even in the middle of quest conversations, as they have very strong opposed opinions on mages.

Aveline is one of my favourites. Not only is she one of the most useful party members, she's one of the most well-rounded. Her relationship with Wesley was really well-written, and although she leans towards law and order, she's also the good cop in a bad system so she's willing to bend rules sometimes in the name of Justice.

Tiamat666:
That skinny guy wielding those huge weapons looks stupid. I appreciate that BioWare are trying to go for something new and break with clichés, but at least make it plausible. Seeing the elf fight I'm just waiting for his arms to fall off due to his physics-defying weapon swings.

Come on, lithe elves as physical powerhouses has been a staple of fantasy fiction for decades. You're ragging on BioWare for following genre convention? (Also, Fenris is a magically enhanced super soldier.)

Tiamat666:

He could have been the new Drizzt...

Gindil:

Tiamat666:

He could have been the new Drizzt...

Meh I would rather have another Minsc......

Fenris makes me angry.

He's just such a bad character. I never use him, as Aveline in my tank, and my Rogue Hawke is my straight damage. Bethany and Merrill round it out, usually. Might toss Bethany later, as she has no unique skill tree.

Maker she's bad at this!

Hmm...usually like Fenris-type characters, but from what I'm reading ITT, he seems like he's kind of a dogmatic jerk. I like mages =(

Edit: Also, from what I've been seeing here and elsewhere, Hard mode looks like a must this time around.

Maraveno:

Jebusetti:

Fr]anc[is:

hey he has been a slave all his life
at least he's got a decent reason to be gloomy
allthough my hawke did too and he still remained upbeat and cheery laughing in the face of everyone tag teaming with varric whenever he could
So I guess maybe he could have been tuned down

Well...

antipunt:
Maker she's bad at this!

Hmm...usually like Fenris-type characters, but from what I'm reading ITT, he seems like he's kind of a dogmatic jerk. I like mages =(

Edit: Also, from what I've been seeing here and elsewhere, Hard mode looks like a must this time around.

yes and no. Hard mode is needed for normal fights, and some bossses... but for the high dragon... Hes completely brutal. At least as my rogue he was. Mark of death'd assassinate barely did 5% of his health on normal.

Team Hollywood:
"Warmongers revel in taunting foes before knocking them on their ass."

That's got to be one of the best quotes from any strategy video ever.

Fenris is damn annoying, but the best strat is to make him your rival and just go with it. As a 2-handed warrior, he can do some crazy damage on Brittled and Disoriented dudes with his Mighty Blow and Scythe.

With the way the companion system is set up, Fenris won't ever leave you, so feel free to disregard his hatred of mages. I play a mage, and at some point I just said, screw it dude, complain all you want. Arguably, his Rival bonus passive ability (Plus to crits) is better than his Friend bonus (magic resistance) anyway.

Greg Tito:
Fenris is damn annoying, but the best strat is to make him your rival and just go with it. As a 2-handed warrior, he can do some crazy damage on Brittled and Disoriented dudes with his Mighty Blow and Scythe.

With the way the companion system is set up, Fenris won't ever leave you, so feel free to disregard his hatred of mages. I play a mage, and at some point I just said, screw it dude, complain all you want. Arguably, his Rival bonus passive ability (Plus to crits) is better than his Friend bonus (magic resistance) anyway.

Thats... not completely true. There is a time where he'll leave, depending on your choices. I had him at Friend and he still left.

Nimbus:
Skinny pale emo guy with white hair using an oversized weapon? Fenris is such an anime charachter!

My thoughts exactly, but also he looks like someone from FF.....also I hate that guy because he hates mages and I like them.....oh well it looks like we will be friends but the kind that hates each other......

Kiraxa:

Greg Tito:

Thats... not completely true. There is a time where he'll leave, depending on your choices. I had him at Friend and he still left.

That's technically true but as you say it doesn't matter if you're nice to him or not. That's just a plot thing. So feel free to piss him off. :)

Oh, I dunno, Fenris isn't all that bad. At the very least, I personally consider his views justified, and if you at least try to get to know him and talk to him, he's somewhat reasonable.

Though Varric's conversations with him are great; "I am not brooding." "Oh please, if your brooding were any more spectacular women would be swooning at the sight of you, and having broody babies in your honour."

(I know I messed that line up, please cut me slack)

I quite enjoying killing Fenris single handadly with my mage before he could even attack.

Aveline has felt more like my main character than Hawke sometimes. I usually control her manually while exploring, to make sure she's always in front.

Shield Bash + Chain Lightning
Disorient Bomb + Scatter

These are my two main combos, and both involve her being surrounded by enemies.

(Also, Petrify + Archer's Lance is an incredible bit of damage, sadly brittle doesn't last long on bosses.)

This game's alright. Origins is better by about 200% though.

Actually, Fenris is an excellent tank.
Lacking a shield does decrease his survivability a bit, but not by much, considering his stupid powerful lyrium ghost ability.
Get trinkets that boost defence and damage resistance, and have Anders use Heroic aura, and you'll have a beast of a tank.
Just don't invest too much into the two-hand tree, since you'll want him use passive toggled abilities and taunt exclusively.
Just take the +1m range and the ability that stagger enemies with normal weapon swings.
Bravery, turn the blade and lyrium ghost won't leave much power for much else.
When he takes damage, he'll just get more powerful.
He's also great at distributing crow poison.

I've given up on using him. His constant insulting of Merrill pisses me off, 'cause I really like Merrill. That added to my previously mentioned spoiler, means I took great joy in when he left my party and I got to kill him. *mark of death, assassinate* BWAHAHAHA.

The best characters in either dragon age (bar shale, He's not included as its unfair to try and over come that amount of awesome) are in 2, which are Varric and Eve Myles... um i mean Welsh elf... Sorry Merrill? was it? Eve Myles is very hot...

But yeah, They finally managed to beat Wayne and Zevran for pure annoyance. Awful emo warrior.

Kiraxa:

Greg Tito:

I finished the game and he did not leave, neither did I have him on friend. It depends.

Edit: I misread your post thinking you said he'll leave no matter what. So guess I just said what you said.. :p

OT : I really hate the guy, he's a real troll because I'm a mage and he disagrees with everything I do, but sadly he's a vital component of the way I created my party..so yeah

Wait Scythe on the PC version does extra dmg to brittle as well no?

dammit all y did i friend Fenris! i want more crit! >.<

And i rolled a mage too. it so happens that locking up mages option also friends you with Aveline. which is pretty harsh since i want everyone to like me!

As Annoying as Fenris is, (which i actually found pretty charming :P) he isn't half as annoying as Carver! dear god i could not wait to get Carver out of my group the second i found another off tank!

No mention of your brother, the first warrior you encounter in the game, Carver? :S

Danial:
The best characters in either dragon age (bar shale, He's not included as its unfair to try and over come that amount of awesome) are in 2, which are Varric and Eve Myles... um i mean Welsh elf... Sorry Merrill? was it? Eve Myles is very hot...

But yeah, They finally managed to beat Wayne and Zevran for pure annoyance. Awful emo warrior.

Shale is a girl. You couldnt tell by the gloriously curvaceous stone bottom?

As for the point about the characters? I think the characters in DA2 suck. Tali is just as annoying as she is in ME2, except this time she has a welsh accent. Isabela.. for every time she seems funny and sexy, there are a dozen times where it just starts to drag from overuse. Yes, I get it to, you like sex and making smutty remarks, there is something called "too much of a good thing". Plus the romance is the now typical Bioware stupid: "The 'slut' thats afraid to love?" They couldnt have could up with something better?

Really I just think that for all the good the characters have on the surface, like most of the ME2 squad too, they eventually turn out to just be vapid and lacking any real depth when you get down to it. Biowares new character philosphy seems to be "make sure they appear badass on the surface, but nothing to back it up underneath".

One of the few positive things I can say about the characters is at least they still banter. Mass Effect 2 cant be said to have any banter at all, since what little the game has that attempts to be party banter is just too scarce and far too shit.

Hope Bioware can get its character writing back to its best for ME3, not to mention story writing to boot. Their two most recent attempts have sucked.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 60837)