The Escapist Presents: Dragon Age II: Party Profiles: Warrior

Pages PREV 1 2

2 Things I noticed while playing Dragon Age 2, Aveline can tank pretty much everything to the point where its broken, and mages are so overpowered that they can kill everything. Though thats just what I might have experienced. Everyone seems to experience different things in Bioware games.

Also why does everyone call Fenris a emo? In my game all he would do is scream and yell and kill people then bitch about how mages suck. And thats basically what everyone did.

Falseprophet:

Come on, lithe elves as physical powerhouses has been a staple of fantasy fiction for decades. You're ragging on BioWare for following genre convention? (Also, Fenris is a magically enhanced super soldier.)

His being a magically enhanced super soldier doesn't make it look any less stupid.

If they had to have the badass elf fighter, I wonder why they didn't make him be the sword+shield wielder and have the girl be the one with the big weapons. Fantasy can be all about dragons, magic, fire and brimstone, that's all great. But at least give basic physics a chance. And just from sheer mass and inertia, it should be that huge two-handed hammer wirling the puny elf around.

We are all used to Warcraft and Warhammer style exaggerations, but in the more realistic Dragon Age setting, to me, it just looks ridiculous.

So much hate for Fenris. -sadface-

Considering the two-sided nature of the struggle in Kirkwall, someone with some sensible criticisms about the power mages wield was a breath of fresh air, considering most of your party is pro-mage. I'm not saying EVERYTHING he says is a pearl of wisdom, but I liked him stepping up with a different viewpoint. At least SOMEONE thinks outside the hive mind.

We might be rivals, yeah, but he still follows me and he's a strong member of the party. I really don't see the problem with him.

Though I'll bet most of the complainers are guys, and/or the same sort that hated on Zevran, who was also awesome. /off-topic

EDIT: Also, "bad Sephiroth impression"? I never read anything about him as being remotely Sephiroth-ish...except maybe having white hair and a really big sword at the beginning? That seems more a stretch to try and insult him than a valid point. Hell, if you're going for FF references, he's more like Cloud or Vincent than anything.

Leximodicon:
This game's alright. Origins is better by about 200% though.

Funny, because I think it's exactly the other way around. I was disappointed with Origins, while I had quite a blast with DA II.

About warriors - Aveline seemed like a terribly dull character at first, but I needed a decent tank in a team (I was playing as a Mage with Anders and Isabela, so tank was a 'must have') so I was taking her on my missions. And then - lo and behold, she actually has a personality. I'm surprised. She's still ugly though, so I didn't even bother with romancing her, and went for Isabela.

Fenris - well... He's 'meh' in personality department, but maybe I think that's because I left him to rot in 'his' mansion after a first few quest in Act I. He didn't fit the team, and didn't fit my role-play. And, as a mage, who eventually sided WITH mages... Well, bye bye Fenris, you were a terribly easy foe :)

Yossarian1507:
[quote="Yossarian1507" post="6.270058.10392675"]Funny, because I think it's exactly the other way around. I was disappointed with Origins, while I had quite a blast with DA II.

It all feels so dumbed down though. What with the lack of friendly fire and the inability to customize your companions equipment. We don't need to aim our fireballs or even think about where to put our party cuz it's not like they're gonna get hit by anything.

theguiltyone:

Considering the two-sided nature of the struggle in Kirkwall, someone with some sensible criticisms about the power mages wield was a breath of fresh air, considering most of your party is pro-mage. I'm not saying EVERYTHING he says is a pearl of wisdom, but I liked him stepping up with a different viewpoint. At least SOMEONE thinks outside the hive mind.

We might be rivals, yeah, but he still follows me and he's a strong member of the party. I really don't see the problem with him.

Though I'll bet most of the complainers are guys, and/or the same sort that hated on Zevran, who was also awesome. /off-topic

EDIT: Also, "bad Sephiroth impression"? I never read anything about him as being remotely Sephiroth-ish...except maybe having white hair and a really big sword at the beginning? That seems more a stretch to try and insult him than a valid point. Hell, if you're going for FF references, he's more like Cloud or Vincent than anything.

My hatred of Fenris is because his "torture by mages" was

yet he still hates on all mages even after he Its a logical inconsistency that boggles the mind, and makes me hate him beyond his annoying broody personality.

Meh. As everyone's (I hope) favorite Oghren put it when talking about the Berserker specialization:
"You go nuts and watch the limbs fly."
Or something to that effect.
And indeed, that was the case with my Wiseass Berserker Kratos-lookalike Hawke. I've had Oghres splattered all over the place from the sheer amount of violence the guy handed out. The only enemy in the game who gave me a slight challenge was the

Everyone else... yup, cannon fodder.
Guess making him look like the dude who killed the gods must've had something to do with it.
It's a real shame there is no longer a dual-wield option for warriors. I wanted to use two axes =(

Leximodicon:

Yossarian1507:
[quote="Yossarian1507" post="6.270058.10392675"]Funny, because I think it's exactly the other way around. I was disappointed with Origins, while I had quite a blast with DA II.

It all feels so dumbed down though. What with the lack of friendly fire and the inability to customize your companions equipment. We don't need to aim our fireballs or even think about where to put our party cuz it's not like they're gonna get hit by anything.

There is friendly fire. Play it on Nightmare. It sucks, methinks.

Kiraxa:

theguiltyone:

My hatred of Fenris is because his "torture by mages" was

yet he still hates on all mages even after he Its a logical inconsistency that boggles the mind, and makes me hate him beyond his annoying broody personality.

But why was that the case? Why did he do that? It's not inconsistent at all. His hatred of mages ISN'T completely unfounded, and he has some good points about them, regardless of his own circumstances. That being said, I disagree with him for 90% of the game, and still found him likeable as a character.

theguiltyone:

But why was that the case? Why did he do that? It's not inconsistent at all. His hatred of mages ISN'T completely unfounded, and he has some good points about them, regardless of his own circumstances. That being said, I disagree with him for 90% of the game, and still found him likeable as a character.

He did it to

and its inconsistent because he was tortured by -1- mage, and that mage's apprentices. His opinion is LOLOL all mages can succumb to the lure of power, thus all mages are evil, thus all mages must be locked away or killed. Hes worse than even Meredith.

Kiraxa:

theguiltyone:

He did it to

and its inconsistent because he was tortured by -1- mage, and that mage's apprentices. His opinion is LOLOL all mages can succumb to the lure of power, thus all mages are evil, thus all mages must be locked away or killed. Hes worse than even Meredith.

That isn't his opinion at all. He states that there may well be mages with good intentions, as well as magisters who are honorable men. However much that might be the case, power will always seek to corrupt.

And regardless of his own opinions, he still respects yours, and fights on your side, even if you are a mage. So no, I don't believe you when you say he's worse than Meredith.

Leximodicon:

Lack of friendly fire didn't bother me (I actually liked it, because I didn't have to call back my warrior and rouge every time I wanted to cast the Firestorm). Inability co customize my allies armor did, that's true. Those are all technical sides though.

For me, where Origins failed, and DA: II succeeded was in making me feel a damn. In Origins, the story was pathetically dull, and I called every plot twist way before they were exposed (with the exception of Morrigan's gambit at the end, which wasn't all that impressive anyway). Not to mention, that all your action were simply summarized by a couple of pictures, which was extremely unsatisfying. I had to take three at least one-week brakes before finishing it, simply because I was so bored, and I didn't want to play it again after beating it, simply because I had no reason to - I knew exactly what was going to happen and why. This is a capital offense against an RPG game. True, DA II is still far from perfect (the main plot is a generic 'from zero to hero' + 'two battling sides, pick one' story), but at least the main character is not bland (adding the family really helped), and the choices you do really makes you feel that you decided the outcome, for better or worse, like with deciding to help Anders in his final companion mission. Now, I'm really curious what will happen if I'll refuse to help him, and that's why I AM going to play it again (and that's just one example).

This what's important in RPG to me. To feel it's a role play, and NOT just a tactical, linear fantasy slasher. That's why DA II (that's also a perfect summary why I liked Alpha Protocol more than ME2) appealed to me, while Origins not.

theguiltyone:

Kiraxa:

theguiltyone:

He did it to

That isn't his opinion at all. He states that there may well be mages with good intentions, as well as magisters who are honorable men. However much that might be the case, power will always seek to corrupt.

And regardless of his own opinions, he still respects yours, and fights on your side, even if you are a mage. So no, I don't believe you when you say he's worse than Meredith.

no, he doesnt respect yours, unless you kiss his ass and answer every option correctly, he'll join meredith, making him a miniboss.

Kiraxa:

no, he doesnt respect yours, unless you kiss his ass and answer every option correctly, he'll join meredith, making him a miniboss.

Well, I didn't kiss ass. I just didn't go out of my way to be rude towards him, and brought up the issue of the mages being virtual slaves and doing the right thing, and he still fought beside me in the end.

So maybe he just didn't like you. XD

they didnt mention carver. good, he sucks.

Fieldy409:
they didnt mention carver. good, he sucks.

icyneesan:
2 Things I noticed while playing Dragon Age 2, Aveline can tank pretty much everything to the point where its broken, and mages are so overpowered that they can kill everything. Though that's just what I might have experienced. Everyone seems to experience different things in Bioware games.

I really don't care about the overpoweredness. Besides I've liked playing as a mage, it is like I am a ninja with magical powers. Instead of shurikens, I throw powerful magic bolts of whatever magic I am using, and I am even deadly in close quarters since my staff makes and effective beaten stick. I'm set up as an Elemental-Force Mage.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here