The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Pages PREV 1 . . . 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 . . . 39 NEXT

Generic Gamer:

Doug:

Generic Gamer:
In addition I'd like to thank Moviebob for using his normal argument technique:

"If you disagree with me it's because you're bad, not because I may be wrong."

I have to admit, I've got off MovieBob over the last year, which is a shame as I used to like the GameOverthinker. This is partly the reason.

I actually like the Game Overthinker videos but I hate how he stereotypes his opponents. It's kind of like 'here's my opinion and I may be wrong...but if you say so you're a homophobic jock'. Frankly I don't (as horrible as it sounds) think he's a particularly nice guy, if I was around him I think I'd dislike him.

That pretty much sums it up - he's gone too far into the 'if you disagree, you are a jock homophobe' area; Ok, he doesn't have to like Halo, but bitching about it every week just gets tiresome after awhile. As does his Nintendo unconditional love.

I don't think MMO's would be good on a console.
PC Gaming will have its low points but it'll never die.

NinjaDeathSlap:
For once Bob, couldn't agree more.

Don't get me wrong I do acknowledge there is a lot to like about PC gaming, although I'm not a PC gamer myself (that's just because I'm useless with a keyboard and mouse and have never really owned a PC than can support games properly). But lets face it, as soon as consoles can match PC's for graphic capability their will be next to no reason to play a game on your 12 inch PC screen when you have a 40 inch TV downstairs.

Two things:
A. By definition, consoles can not be "caught up" with PCs for more than a few months.
B. There's nothing wrong with my 28" monitor that I shelled out $250 for. No one games on a 12" screen anymore.

Reosoul:
I hate it when Moviebob talks about games. He knows he's a Mario fanboy, we know he's a Mario fanboy, and he just won't give it up. He is about as well connected to the gaming scene as EA is to marketing with integrity.

BOB- STOP MAKING GAME EPISODES. STOP.

Leave that crap for the Game Overthinker, but if you must, don't try to pitch up a flame war. You were right for thinking people were going to be unhappy about this.

Also, your mother's a whore.

This made me laugh. Thanks.

I will give one reason why PC games will never die. That would be Mods.
I would ask a console gamer, what would you do if you have finished a game that you like very much but still wished you had more content. My guess is you would look for a DLC that you have to buy.
Me I just had to open the internet, type "*insert game here* mods" and i have delved in to the epic ocean for FREE custom content, and most are not amateur or shabby mind you.
I will give you an example. Ask any guy that has play Medieval 2 Total War about creating custom content and you will be surprised as to how much they know about the source files and developing. They will give you detailed instructions in skinning, modeling, scripting, hell even changing the mechanics.
That sort of community is there, it doesn't make much sound because they have nothing to raise their voice about about. The PC gaming community may not be whiny, but believe me when I say it is numerous, and increasing by the day. The expensive DLCs that work for nothing but a cheap marketing ploy that further antagonizes people who pay for 60 bucks a game and find they have to pay much more to get their money's worth has a role in that as well.

I own a WII, PS3 and a xbox360 (actual several), and a zillion games for them and they sit there.
Here in house my 23' eyefinity monster romas and the consoles cower in fear.
All kidding aside, nothing beats a pc at gaming. the day a console plays 5760 * 1080
i'll reconsider and still y h2o powerhouse will laugh in its face XD

So this means that PC is dying? I don't understand this? Isin't this the consoles dying? Since all consoles will just become PCs? Or is it just up to what it is marketed as? If consoles "overthrow" pc gaming, then the manufactuarers will just call all PC parts "console moduldes" and PCs will be PCs just with some name stamped onto them.

brainless_fps_player:
Excuse me, but am I the only one that neither has the time nor the inclination to buy a new fucking computer every time a new game is released?

Seriously, why is it my computer, which wasn't cheap or old, can only handle games from five years ago.

And how come playing online is such a hassle to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of patches, downloads and upgrades?

Consoles are dedicated gaming machines which makes them better for gaming. Yeah, they can't do RTS, but neither can my computer, so what the hell.

Well done, Bob. Right on the money. Computers as we know them are going to die. May the consoles, I phones and laptops (yes they are different to computers, smart asses) soon replace them.

Good luck playing Games on a 5 year old laptop instead of a tower model /facepalms
if you like the resolution of your console ps3 & xbox360 1280x720 (no AA) if yer lucky.
Then more power to you good sir ...
I like to play my games accros 3 screens at near 5 times that resolution

AvauntVanguard:

there's a mmoRPG called Blade & Soul which is (or maybe was) supposed to come out for consoles too. But the problem is it's not free to play. You'll never get a free to play mmo. Consoles live up thnx to $70 games and making ppl pay on everything they can sell. It's the biggest doom in the short history of gaming. How can people pay even for demos? Looking at you, EA.
Nevermind. I'll just say piracy actually promotes "free to play" gaming, which is the most popular form of low cost-entertainment (since nobody needs $1000 pc to play) in countries like china, korea... and basically anywhere (no wonder why anyone talks about non mainstream stuff). It's so popular there it tries to fight back console gaming cloning gameplay mechanics from popular b2p games. And ofc mods etc are avaiable there, if the game is good.
Some examples of clones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUUjbtvVlmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rfkoiMv_qo
or more action oriented stuff regarding the auto targeting system
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0daOxS_DA

+ all the stuff i posted above

I wish to state my opinion on this:

Minecraft.
Nifflas games.
AB Games.
M.A.M.E.

Bob, you've done an excellent job of confusing desktop tower gaming with personal computer gaming. Also, there's probably a MASSIVE confusion that comes from the growing number of people playing games than from any actual change in the number of people who use computers to do it. Those folks, with glowing see-through cases and ever more powerful hardware quests, are always and will always be present. The ratio of them to jocks and grandmas with a wii has simply changed.

Just because more people are playing games, doesn't mean that one way of doing it will go away. The best comparison of this is cars. Almost everyone owns a car, but how many people own ferraris? Or muscle cars? Or tuned imports? Most people own something basic and off the shelf and common to get themselves from place to place, but does that mean that sports cars are dying? Even more so something like Horses and cars. There are still a lot of places a horse can go, but not a car.

When's the last time you played a 16 year old game on a console which wasn't released as a publisher's marketing scheme, but from the original software?

The other thing I want to mention is that console gaming is more and more turning into an "approved content" funnel, like the apple app store. Despite being an interactive medium, it is a much more one way tunnel than Personal Computer gaming. There's no such thing as hunting down little gems and kludging them into functionality in XBLA. Sure it's easier, but do you really prefer being told what you should play?

Well you can't upgrade laptops and phones when THEY go obselete...

My problem with PC Gaming is that there are so god damned few exclusives!
I mean, honestly, look at this list of exclusives!
http://www.pcgamingfan.com/?page_id=719
And it's not exactly like it'll get better when new studios that are being set up, are set up.
PC Gaming is just plain dead.

I can't wait to see what happens when phones become as fast as most modern PCs. The Atrix already has an accessory that turns it into a laptop - just a matter of time before our phones become our PCs. And I can't wait until I can play Starcraft 2 on my phone, and pwn my brother anywhere, anytime in that game. Kekekeke ^_^

This episode goes way off on a tangent and is not nearly as much about pc gaming as it is about the evolution of personal computing in general. It's clear to me that Bob only called this "PC gaming is dead" for cheap views.

I also think Bob underestimates the power of the PC.
Like he says, many things can do things that the pc can do, like word processing on tablets or gaming on consoles, but none of those has surpassed PC in terms of quality yet. Video editing is still the best on a PC, Music editing, Even creating games is still all done best with the PC. Yes, you can do those things on other mediums, but no medium has matched the quality that PC does them. Part of that has to do with the limits of said "other mediums". PC is virtually limitless, you have tons of customization options, and you can work any way you want.
I say PC will still dominate personal computing and gaming until some other medium can DO IT BETTER. I mean what kind of an argument for console gaming is that "it can do some of the things PC can do" and "it has some of the genres that PC has"? It's just silly.

Kouryuu:

I forgot:
I feel like no one even really listened when they watched this video. Everyone is getting caught up in how PC gaming is supposively booming or that tablets and laptops are also PCs when the argument is that having a huge system unit and monitor that goes in a separate cabinet and desk will become obsolete. Why do I need a stationary device with it's own desk when my laptop can do the same thing plus anywhere I want? And with technology advancing at an exponential rate, you can't use the argument that you need the extra power a desktop PC offers because, unless you're making movies for Pixar, what do you need that much power for?

If power is not important just go back to the first Ps or the xbox, why do you have to have the new generation consoles? the only difference between them and the previos generation is pover, and things you can do elsewhere.
Just go online, look at some videos of the latest games and compare the PC and the console versions, then try to make the same argument.

your post is barely relevant to what I said. I didn't say power isn't important but that we only need so much power for a PC and with technology advancing at such a rate we'll be able to do it all on a laptop so there's no need for a PC to have it's own cabinet and desk unless you're rendering the special effects to the sequel to Avatar.

I beg to differ, the opposite is happening in the sense that consoles are trying to become PCs.
Steam....maaaachinneeeee

Eh.

You'll have to define your words first and then start your tirade if you want to make them mean anything. This way it's just stupid. "PC gaming is dying oh but PCs will probably not be called PCs soon they'll just resemble PCs in another form"

Yeay yeah. Saw it coming. True but essentially just baiting.

Foxbat Flyer:

Jachwe:

Foxbat Flyer:

Really???? NOOOOOOO!!!! It [Diablo] has always been a PC only game though... Ohwell, there are many other great titles in that list

If I am looking at my games I see a perfectly working Playstation version of Diablo und a perfectly working Mac version of Diablo 2. Yes Diablo was always PC exclusive *sarcasm* Got that out of my system. Just hate it when people make uneducated claims.

[...]

It was on PS1, but when i think of diablo, i think of PC. And PS1 was hardly supported by delevopers (Unless you count leter releases of the game) where as PC had patches available. With new systems, developers have the ability to avert their attention to consoles.

And with your statement of "perfectly working Mac version of Diablo 2" Is a mac not a PC? from my perspective, a PC includes Mac and Windows.

So how are my claims uneducated? From my perspective, it is a PC only game and it is how it should stay

Congratulations! You admit Diablo not being a PC exclusive title by saying it also appeared on the Playstation and continue to say Diablo is a "PC only" game thus denying there to be a Playstation version of the game. Selfcontradiction proofs you wrong.
Furthermore I said your claims are uneducated because you appearntly did not know about Diablo being on the Playstation but thanks to your statement I must conclude otherwise. You claimed Diablo to be a PC only title despite your knoweledge of the Playstation version. Adding your following statement of "I want it to be so it should be in my opiniom thus it is" this makes you a person who denies reality and thus cannot contribute to any a reasonable discussion because you are not reasonable.
To help you avoid such emberassement in the future here is my advice. Do not think your perception (or wishful thinking) is fact and state it as such. It does not matter if you think PC game if you think Diablo if there IS also a Playstation version.

Well the Mac not being a PC statement on my part is disagreeable. I give you that. On the box of Diablo 2 is a "PC/Mac" lable. A Mac is usually treated as a different entity opposed to a PC running Windows out of the point of view of marketing.

You lost me on this one Bob!!! PC gaming is superior in every way. Laptops do not have the processing power or storage space to completely handle with full functionality all the games out there. PC Gaming is cleaner crisper and more colourful then the shit machines put out by Microshaft Sony and Nintendo. This installment of the BigPicture makes me think You have subscribed to or been paid off by the people at mircosoft that want to end gaming on personal computers in order to jack up sales of their craptastic red ring of malfuctionalty of the consoles they try to sell us. The 360 is a PoS. The PS3 is most likly the machine I would by were I to subscribe to this think. I only play games on PC's they run smoother I can upgrade my PC when it becomes behind the times to bring it back up to speed rather then dumping a shit ton of money on another console that wont play the old games.

I short I think your wrong on this one. I for one stand proud of the fact that I am a PC gamer and will remain so. My desktop will be upgraded as needed and continue to live in my home where it belongs. Why.... Because laptops just cant hold a candle to my personal computer. Tablets are useful for on the go and also don't have the computing power required for the games I wanna play or do play.

I'm interested that you covered this topic as it's one that me and my friends debate rather frequently. I have always been half PC gamer / half console gamer. Even when I was little there were just some games that you could only play on the Nintendo 64 and some which would not be the same on anything but a PC.

And I still feel that way.

I enjoy playing first person shooters and certain RPG's on my computer because I simply like the feel of the keyboard and mouse game style that a PC offers while other games like racing games, and other RPG's feel much more comfortable on a console.

I used to be a Nintendo only kinda girl but then a few years ago I met my all Xbox boyfriend and together we've introduced the other to a whole new spectrum of gaming I don't think we would have ever tried without the others support.

Anyway what I wanted to get at is sure PC is dead, but I hope that PC gaming at least sticks around (or at least until I die lol) because some games just work better on a PC.

Anyway I personally cannot wait for my own private Holodeck or Virtual reality games, maybe then I will be able to loosen my firm grip on my mouse and keyboard. :P

I think a better way to put it would have simply been to say that the division between PCs and consoles will be disintegrating so much in the future, that gaming on either platform as we know it is dead.

I can see in the near future having a centralized hub, storing our information and sending wireless signals to our devices for gaming, word processing, and everything else that is done on a console and computer. No longer will things be hooked up to large screen with wires anywhere in our house. Instead, our high definition televisions will be able to pull up data from our centralized processing units along with all our other electronic devices. We will be able to play those games from the comfort of our couches with wireless keyboards, mice, controllers, motion wands, and movement sensing controls like the Kinect. And probably other ways we don't have yet like reading brain waves, voice controlled, or other things.

In other words, everything we know about gaming will change. Not just one platform, not just in small ways. We may have a name for those household networks / computers. Mayhaps console or personal computer won't be the term. But whatever we call it, the whole landscape is going to change, and pointing out how PCs are dead specifically is akin to pointing out how microwaves as we know them are going to change when all our appliances will evolve over time.

*turns on a few industrial fans to beat back the smoke*

I don't ever see the physical PC ever becoming obsolete, simply because while yes, modern gaming systems essentially are computers, they will never match the true might of the Personal Computer for four reasons:

Case in point: despite the portability issue, PCs are no better a platform now as they were in the last decade. Gaming included. It's just that most companies haven't invested much in PC gaming, except for those in the MMO industry and some occasional genius Flash-based game creators.

AvauntVanguard:

I think Square-Enix learned that pretty quickly. As have more than one other company.

Fact is, you can only put so much into a game that's meant to be played with a keyboard and mouse when all you have is fourteen buttons and two analog sticks. Possibly on a tablet, but you'd need an extra screen to see what the hell you were doing. Despite my intense, burning hatred for the F2P giant that is Nexon, they've done more for the gaming industry in the last three or four years than most mainstream companies have on consoles for the past decade by making imported games accessible to more people. Granted, they don't exactly enforce the strictest anti-hacking campaign, but considering the loads of money they're making, I guess it would be easy to overlook that your games are being infested with cheaters >_>

And now I'm going to go give my fingers a massage and a hot bath after that wall o' text. Enjoy reading ^-^

Doug:

Generic Gamer:

Doug:

I have to admit, I've got off MovieBob over the last year, which is a shame as I used to like the GameOverthinker. This is partly the reason.

I actually like the Game Overthinker videos but I hate how he stereotypes his opponents. It's kind of like 'here's my opinion and I may be wrong...but if you say so you're a homophobic jock'. Frankly I don't (as horrible as it sounds) think he's a particularly nice guy, if I was around him I think I'd dislike him.

That pretty much sums it up - he's gone too far into the 'if you disagree, you are a jock homophobe' area; Ok, he doesn't have to like Halo, but bitching about it every week just gets tiresome after awhile. As does his Nintendo unconditional love.

Basically he turned into Spoony. Which is too bad because he had promise

brainless_fps_player:
Excuse me, but am I the only one that neither has the time nor the inclination to buy a new fucking computer every time a new game is released?

Seriously, why is it my computer, which wasn't cheap or old, can only handle games from five years ago.

And how come playing online is such a hassle to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of patches, downloads and upgrades?

Consoles are dedicated gaming machines which makes them better for gaming. Yeah, they can't do RTS, but neither can my computer, so what the hell.

Well done, Bob. Right on the money. Computers as we know them are going to die. May the consoles, I phones and laptops (yes they are different to computers, smart asses) soon replace them.

Huge /facepalm here.

1) Why do console gamers say you have to buy new righ every year? That is so ridiculous. That's like saying every xbox player bought xbox slim at release. A rig from 3 years could handle todays game pretty fine. Sure you probably wouldn't able to play battlefield maxed out, but if you lower AA in your options your game will still look BETTER than console.
2) People who buy new hardware every year are those people who want always to stay at the edge of technology. They are people who don't want to dumb down their experience, they are the people who want to play in 3D, they are the people who have 3 monitors around them. YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO UPGRADE. Like I say, your games won't look as good on older rig, but they WILL look better than console, because consoles have hardware from 2005
4) "And how come playing online is such a hassle to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of patches, downloads and upgrades?" All the modern games auto update themselves. Also have you heard of Steam? It got auto game updates. I don't even remember when the last time I had to download patch. Stop being ignorant console gamer.
5) "Consoles are dedicated gaming machines which makes them better for gaming." No. They are essentially PC dumbed down that is only suitable for gaming. It doesn't make them better, it makes them accessible for blondes.
6) Like many people said why the hell would PC gamer have 3 gadgeds when he has a computer that can do everything? Last time I checked at my apple retail store, iPhone 4 costs ~1000$ and that is way more expensive than good gaming-rig. (Yes, in my country you can buy iPhone from retail)
7) There are a lot of great gaming laptops capable of doing same stuff your self-built gaming rig can do. The only problem is that it's difficult or not possible to upgrade them, which is the reason I think desktop computers are here to stay for a while.
8) Why do you talk like you actually know shit? Oh yeah ... Your name is brainless_fps_player.

matt87_50:

like, if pc gaming was 100,000 nerds, and consoles was like, 50,000 slightly less nerdy nerds.

and now consoles are 200,000,000 EVERYBODY... and PC gaming is STILL 'only' 100,000 nerds...
... and we worried about Microsoft being monopolistic...

Well done with the nerd numbers ... mainstream has everything to do with this and perhaps a number of those 100k went to consoles for the ease of it or the usefulness of their pc's running out, but that won't change how important they are in many industries.

The vid said that the main reason pc gaming began was for people with the machine to have something to do apart from calculations. Well I fall under a similar spectrum.

I couldn't care less about social networking at this point, but as a designer I need a balls-to-the-wall computer for all of my programs. This keeps me in the realm of pc's and laptops and away from tablets and smartphones. Thus, work and play in the same machine. I can't do that on a console, nor can many other people.

Speaking of macs, they're actually proliferating pc gaming. Steam helped of course, but many more games are becoming available on macs due to how mainstream it is to now own anything with that ridiculously overpriced symbol on it.

So ... (fingers .... burning) thanks mac (what have I done!?).

I must admit a lot of what he is saying has merit. But what he explains is exactly the reason I love my computer. Sure I could play games on a console, watch shows on a tv, email or access facebook on a smartphone, do homework on my laptop and access the internet with basically any of the above. But why the hell would I want to do that when I can do every single one of those things with the added convenience of not having to move. I can do each of those things in most cases more conveniently and with a much greater capacity on my PC. So in itself his argument can be seen as both against or for the deteroration of the PC as a useful tool.

PCs as you specificated are two things (very clever so switching sides is possible if someone tries to counterargue one side only):
1. The personal computer as a device that computes something and you got it personally:
It won't die, because every fucking mobile, console or even the stream devices of onlive are personal computers. Even the fucking eye implant is a personal computer. Gaming on this won't die in the near future if not electricity will become evil in some kind of way.
2. The work place most people use:
It won't die, because even with cloud computing, you need something that displays your work and a proper workplace to work at if you want to work seriously. Is anyone really believing that a programmer will sit on his couch to program the next Crysis? Even if they are really really really small boxes or just your handy in a docking station with a proper keyboard and a good monitor, you still need that work place. A lot less people will need this because checking emails and posting on facebook may be done on a tablet, but everyone writing more than some short messages or serious editing of a picture or video or more NEEDS a proper working environment.
And I'm a hardcore gamer (not much playing atm because diplom thesis has to be done) and I LOVE playing in a proper chair on a proper table with minimal effort (and pointing with some kind of device to a tv is a lot more effort than using the mouse because you have to struggle against gravity all the time instead of friction resistance).

There is a third thing PC can be you didn't mention:
Gaming on Windows and/or Linux and/or Mac. These MAY die in the near future if there comes a cloud computing operating system that works a lot better. I highly doubt that because of the various good software for aforementioned operating systems and if you work on a system you will play on that system.

MovieBob is like the Norman Osborn of the Escapist. Mostly he will write sound and informational pieces, but sometimes he forgets to take his medicines and reverts back to the Green Goblin. Trolling everyone with pumpkin bombs in the shape of videos.

PC's are not becoming consoles, consoles are becoming PC's. Phones are becoming PC's. Laptops were always PC's, but maybe more of a PC-light version.

PC's are not dead.
PC gaming is not dead.
And I will never watch a Moviebob video again.

I didn't have the time to read through the other 1100 posts so I don't know if it's been said already but...

The problem I have with laptops is that they don't come near the immense power a desktop PC has, same goes for consoles.
Then comes value: laptops are way more expensive in the sense that for the same money, you can often find a desktop that's twice as fast, and at least a desktop you can continually upgrade; something you can't do with laptops or consoles. Same goes if a part breaks like the GPU, for a desktop you can just buy another card, a 360 goes in the dumpster if your warranty has expired.

Next, they can't make consoles more powerful because they'd have to drive the price way up and nobody would buy them due to their limited options. On the 360 as well: what about those games that just slow down at certain points like crazy because the hardware can't deal with it? Won't find that with PC.

I can see Bob's point: add office to a console and there won't be much use for a PC for a lot of people. I can actually just make a powerpoint presentation and some spreadsheets on my mobile phone; but I don't want to.

Lastly: tablets are the most useless things on the planet. No keyboard, no mouse, can't really play graphically demanding games and if you just want to view documents, your phone can do that too while it fits comfortably in your pocket.

Nouw:
I beg to differ, the opposite is happening in the sense that consoles are trying to become PCs.
Steam....maaaachinneeeee

Shhhhhh.... they are not supposed to know about that just yet.

You're not taking part in a tech-revolution when you connect a mouse and keyboard to your 360, and using "Office" on it.

You're just turning it into a really... really.. Really shitty personal computer. Congratulations. Specifically designed to rip you off and charge you for every stupid little thing possible. Hence the large push by corporations to get people on consoles and away from PC's. The anti-piracy movement has simply been a movement to push people away from PCs whenever possible, via frustration or propaganda.

Then, when all the fools are comfortable on their "super neat" consoles, they pull the rug from under you, and charge you multiple fees just to turn the piece of shit on. "Oh, you want to use the internet on the 360, on your own internet? Well you have to pay a monthly fee to access your internet which you already pay for." "Oh, did you say you want to go to certain sites or use certain internet services on your 360? Well that will cost extra as well."

Honestly, are people really so dense that they can't see this shit? Yes, most people appreciate the ease and rather inexpensive usage of consoles, but don't kid yourselves in thinking it's "the way forward". It will be a corporatist nightmare if you keep up the apathy and ignorance.

They're even equipped with cameras (oh, sorry.. shit motion controls) that are perfectly capable of watching anyone and everyone that uses it. How many people in the household, the average users, etc.

Yea, I don't see a pattern here. Nevermind, just put your heads back in the sand.

Eternal_Lament:
Did anyone else think the title was a Videodrome reference?

Anyways, interesting episode, although I almost expected this to be a Game Overthinker episode as oppossed to a Big Picture episode.

Haha. I was thinking that too.

Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh! /somewhatobscurereference.

Project Nemesis:
PC gaming is never going to die as long as the dudes that make the games make them USING A PC.

I would have to agree wqith you there. Game designers have a much easier job designign the games on a PC then releasing it for a PC than making them on a PC, for a PC then porting it to a console. If they're lucky they might even get to port the console version to a PC! Gah, makes me annoyed that they couldn't just released the PC version and the console port.

The PC isn't dying, unless you say that it has a genetic defect that will make it die in 30-40 years. As it is now the PC is working, it gives the user options, easy access, a wider variety of functions and dynamic upgrades. It costs a lot so that's the downside, it's also a bit more complex to work with a full OS than a limited one, but there are vons and pros on everything.

I don't know about this one Bob. Maybe once all of these other technologies can collectively work together to do what a pc can do independently as you described here, then yes... maybe... well no PC will adapt and introduce new functions as it always had. If anything, the pc will take up the living room while all of these other devices will communicate with your central hub while you are out of the house.

I guess I just disagree. some valid point were made, but overall I can't get behind that.

2theAJ:

brainless_fps_player:

Huge /facepalm here.

1) Why do console gamers say you have to buy new righ every year? That is so ridiculous. That's like saying every xbox player bought xbox slim at release. A rig from 3 years could handle todays game pretty fine. Sure you probably wouldn't able to play battlefield maxed out, but if you lower AA in your options your game will still look BETTER than console.
2) People who buy new hardware every year are those people who want always to stay at the edge of technology. They are people who don't want to dumb down their experience, they are the people who want to play in 3D, they are the people who have 3 monitors around them. YOU ARE NOT FORCED TO UPGRADE. Like I say, your games won't look as good on older rig, but they WILL look better than console, because consoles have hardware from 2005
4) "And how come playing online is such a hassle to someone who doesn't have a working knowledge of patches, downloads and upgrades?" All the modern games auto update themselves. Also have you heard of Steam? It got auto game updates. I don't even remember when the last time I had to download patch. Stop being ignorant console gamer.
5) "Consoles are dedicated gaming machines which makes them better for gaming." No. They are essentially PC dumbed down that is only suitable for gaming. It doesn't make them better, it makes them accessible for blondes.
6) Like many people said why the hell would PC gamer have 3 gadgeds when he has a computer that can do everything? Last time I checked at my apple retail store, iPhone 4 costs ~1000$ and that is way more expensive than good gaming-rig. (Yes, in my country you can buy iPhone from retail)
7) There are a lot of great gaming laptops capable of doing same stuff your self-built gaming rig can do. The only problem is that it's difficult or not possible to upgrade them, which is the reason I think desktop computers are here to stay for a while.
8) Why do you talk like you actually know shit? Oh yeah ... Your name is brainless_fps_player.

I like you ! XD

Pages PREV 1 . . . 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 . . . 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or