The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

hahaha

The most uninformed opinion i've heard from Bob yet.

Completely ignores these points in his analysis:

- technology does not go in the direction of specialization. ie. what consoles tried to do, create a platform for games only to find that people wanted to play games, watch a movie, and chat to their friends on these devices.
See the development of the early consoles like SNES to nowadays PS3 with all their "functionality" added in.
Technology strives towards unification, yes your cellphone is supposed to play Gears of War and send tweets.
The PC did this from the get-go.

If anything, the specialized devices Bob counts down become MORE LIKE A PC every day. Where do you draw a line of your PS3 running Linux, to say its not a PC?

What Bob thinks "PC" means is "grey box in the living room for spreadsheets" which is roflcopter wrong.

- PCs will never disappear, so PC gaming will never disappear.
PCs (as in big hunky gray boxes) will be prevalent even in the future, because some of -us- need the computational power for something else than PC gaming. There are thousands of people around the world that need the power and versatility of a PC to do their daily work.

What do you make your games on? Did God Of War get programmed/designed on a console? No, you need a platform and engine for R&D at least and PCs are here to stay.

- Laptops don't fit in Bobs argument at all

What Bobs over-analysis missed is this:

PC gaming isn dead, PC gaming is coming to console!

I rather do believe that this is idiotic. I believe that the fewer devices the better, and no console has anything on PC. PC can do anything console can, and since PC's are pretty damned useful, and can be pretty small themselves it's best not to even have a console taking up more space. However, once there is something that can do everything and has a big screen/projector while not weighing more than a few pounds, then. anything with a small screen that you are supposed to look at for anything other than that you input thing right is worthless. there should be a phone, a small music player, then a, that is A as in One, device for everything else.

Awesome Adam!

I'm going to half agree, and fully disagree.

'PC gaming as we know it' isn't dead, not even for the reasons Bob pointed out. It's just that pretty much everything will be a PC in 20 years time, so it'll just look a bit different.

Bob seemed to go on about how he could run Office on his XBox if he wanted to. Great, now you've made a PC, and come full-circle to PC gaming.

It's not dying.

It's waiting.

Gorfias:

The Human Torch:

1) MovieBob is like the Norman Osborn of the Escapist. Mostly he will write sound and informational pieces, but sometimes he forgets to take his medicines and reverts back to the Green Goblin. Trolling everyone with pumpkin bombs in the shape of videos.

2) PC's are not becoming consoles, consoles are becoming PC's. Phones are becoming PC's. Laptops were always PC's, but maybe more of a PC-light version.

PC's are not dead.
PC gaming is not dead.
3) And I will never watch a Moviebob video again.

1) This was arguably his worst since he vented his spleen on "The Expendables" a flick many if not most of us thought a hoot and can't wait for a sequel (this time w/ Chuck Norris please!)

2) Very true... posted earlier that PS3 actually had some trouble in Europe: do they classify it as a toy or a computer.

3) Don't do that to yourself. The vast majority of the time, he is a very entertaining guy. I think he was just wrong in his thinking on this.

I wrote earlier that all that made any sense in his post was the concept that increasingly, we won't be setting aside a special place in the home for a traditional computer. Maybe, but again, that doesn't mean PC is dead. I built an AMD Athlon 2 X4 for less than the launch price of a PS3, with bluray player, all the functionality of a PC and can play most games 30 FPS, but set it up in an entertainment center. Wireless Keyboard, mouse go into coffee table. Microsoft even makes a wireless controller for the PC looks like the 360 one.

Nice video, cool home setup. I have something similar, although not so slick. :)
And I don't think that I will watch Moviebob's videos anymore, this latest video and his The Expendables rampage makes me believe that he is a few bricks shy of a complete Lego Star Wars figurine. Either that or he has a serious god-complex.

I think it's safe to say that the community is certainly not dying, judging by the amount of posts.

This is hilarious, nothing like pc nerds trying to bring down an indifferent online personality. The desktop computer is going to die, not pc games. Of course a laptop is a pc, hell an iphone can be considered a pc.

Uh, Bob, you aren't the only one calling out the death of PC gaming. And you're just as wrong as every other doomsayer.

Tablets? Console? Laptop? Why on earth would I have all these things when I could have my own, tastily powerful device? The PC isn't dying - not for me in any case.

But I agree about PC games fundamentally changing form.

Reosoul:
I'm happy to see Bob getting steamrolled so hard on this topic. Hopefully he'll leave the Videogame commentary to Extra Credits from now on.

Yeah his earlier work in this field have been lacking I'll admit, go have a look at his analysis of Halo, it's a mess, he didn't even get the mission of the Covenant down correctly.

2theAJ:

MEANWHILE AT VALVE... http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/thebigpicture.php

You're 2theAJ, and THAT'S the big picture. *ba dum tish*

Yeah yeah, I'm not quitting my day job anytime soon.

However, does anyone notice that this post has 1200+ reviews while his others never went above 200?

If this video is true then im sad seeing as that means the world of modding will be destroyed.

The Human Torch:
3) And I will never watch a Moviebob video again.

1) This was arguably his worst since he vented his spleen on "The Expendables" a flick many if not most of us thought a hoot and can't wait for a sequel (this time w/ Chuck Norris please!)... The vast majority of the time, he is a very entertaining guy. I think he was just wrong in his thinking on this.

I wrote earlier that all that made any sense in his post was the concept that increasingly, we won't be setting aside a special place in the home for a traditional computer. Maybe, but again, that doesn't mean PC is dead....

1) Nice video, cool home setup. I have something similar, although not so slick. :)
2) And I don't think that I will watch Moviebob's videos anymore, this latest video and his The Expendables rampage makes me believe that he is a few bricks shy of a complete Lego Star Wars figurine. Either that or he has a serious god-complex.

1) Thanks! Back in the day (a whole 5 years ago) if you were VERY tech savy, you might post a picture of your rig along with a text description. Because of this topic,I've found a whole new generation of video posts at youtube. Lot of great ideas out there and stuff to feel envy over. You should post your rig ASAP.
2) Sorry to hear that. I think his disertation of Earth 1 and 2 alone was worth dealing w/ his more off color pieces. Feel free to send a message to my account to let me know if you post your rig, would love to see it.

Gorfias:
*snip*

Mine is not nearly as impressive as yours, but this summer I will redo my living room and will get everything sorted. Right now it's one big cable mess in a big brown wall cabinet. Once I am done I will make some photo's. :)

The Human Torch:
MovieBob is like the Norman Osborn of the Escapist. Mostly he will write sound and informational pieces, but sometimes he forgets to take his medicines and reverts back to the Green Goblin. Trolling everyone with pumpkin bombs in the shape of videos.

PC's are not becoming consoles, consoles are becoming PC's. Phones are becoming PC's. Laptops were always PC's, but maybe more of a PC-light version.

PC's are not dead.
PC gaming is not dead.
And I will never watch a Moviebob video again.

I am sure he laments the loss, now the problem is that you people don t give him a reason not to green goblin it because obviously it significantly increases ad revenue.

Hatchet90:
This is hilarious, nothing like pc nerds trying to bring down an indifferent online personality. The desktop computer is going to die, not pc games. Of course a laptop is a pc, hell an iphone can be considered a pc.

and that sums it up, he even makes it a mission to never engage them..ever.

>People will prefer playing Pn'C on the wii.
For the added inconvenience of moving the cursor?
>FPS is a console genre now
If you're a scrub with a 1.5s reaction speed, yes.

joebear15:

The Human Torch:
MovieBob is like the Norman Osborn of the Escapist. Mostly he will write sound and informational pieces, but sometimes he forgets to take his medicines and reverts back to the Green Goblin. Trolling everyone with pumpkin bombs in the shape of videos.

PC's are not becoming consoles, consoles are becoming PC's. Phones are becoming PC's. Laptops were always PC's, but maybe more of a PC-light version.

PC's are not dead.
PC gaming is not dead.

I am sure he laments the loss, now the problem is that you people don t give him a reason not to green goblin it because obviously it significantly increases ad revenue.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Hopperdopper:
>People will prefer playing Pn'C on the wii.
For the added inconvenience of moving the cursor?
>FPS is a console genre now
If you're a scrub with a 1.5s reaction speed, yes.

on one hand look at modern warefare2 and black ops consoul sales on the other look at the sales figures for every pc shooter ever released, games follow the money, FPS's are console genre weather you want them to be or not.

Jachwe:

Foxbat Flyer:

Jachwe:

If I am looking at my games I see a perfectly working Playstation version of Diablo und a perfectly working Mac version of Diablo 2. Yes Diablo was always PC exclusive *sarcasm* Got that out of my system. Just hate it when people make uneducated claims.

[...]

It was on PS1, but when i think of diablo, i think of PC. And PS1 was hardly supported by delevopers (Unless you count leter releases of the game) where as PC had patches available. With new systems, developers have the ability to avert their attention to consoles.

And with your statement of "perfectly working Mac version of Diablo 2" Is a mac not a PC? from my perspective, a PC includes Mac and Windows.

So how are my claims uneducated? From my perspective, it is a PC only game and it is how it should stay

Congratulations! You admit Diablo not being a PC exclusive title by saying it also appeared on the Playstation and continue to say Diablo is a "PC only" game thus denying there to be a Playstation version of the game. Selfcontradiction proofs you wrong.
Furthermore I said your claims are uneducated because you appearntly did not know about Diablo being on the Playstation but thanks to your statement I must conclude otherwise. You claimed Diablo to be a PC only title despite your knoweledge of the Playstation version. Adding your following statement of "I want it to be so it should be in my opiniom thus it is" this makes you a person who denies reality and thus cannot contribute to any a reasonable discussion because you are not reasonable.
To help you avoid such emberassement in the future here is my advice. Do not think your perception (or wishful thinking) is fact and state it as such. It does not matter if you think PC game if you think Diablo if there IS also a Playstation version.

Well the Mac not being a PC statement on my part is disagreeable. I give you that. On the box of Diablo 2 is a "PC/Mac" lable. A Mac is usually treated as a different entity opposed to a PC running Windows out of the point of view of marketing.

Im talking support wise "And PS1 was hardly supported by delevopers (Unless you count leter releases of the game) where as PC had patches available" and how i dont want the new game to be on consoles due to developers turning their attention to the consoles, this is how consoles will take over. as i can plainly see, you dont mind consoles taking over, so ill leave this discussion here, i thank you for your view, and i hope in time, i can ponder your words and come out a better person for your perspective.

The Human Torch:

joebear15:

The Human Torch:

PC's are not dead.
PC gaming is not dead.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

BINGO now cookie

Jim Grim:
But why would I want to use four different devices to do all this stuff when I could just sit down on my comfy chair at my computer and do them all on one device?

This. So if I have to use a smart phone, a tablet, a console, a tv, motion controls and still peripherals like scans/printers, I guess with all cables, chargers and extensions they come with I need more space to store it than with my PC. And its not pratical to jump from one device to other when I can do the same with just one.

Seriously, Bob - Jesus H. Christ on this one, cause i really hope you had been under the induction of alternate state chemically induced consciousness when making this... =/

Consoles are the model of the future, because if you plug your mouse and keyboard in, and if you could use your browser and Microsoft Office and your render software, they are nearly as good as PCs.

I really don't see why a console (which, as Bob said, IS a computer - with limited options) should be superior to a non-crippled PC (as non-crippled as you can be if you are a PC with Windows).

good lord so much butt hurt for a simple observation about the fact that PCs are not made for gaming. they make computers specialized for gaming but that's just splitting hairs. games on a PC were something to do while waiting for your tower to tell your printer to start working. games to be installed on a hard drive and played are not going to die, i believe the point was that the PERSONAL computer or HOME computer is not going to be the preferred platform, but hell newspaper isn't the preferred medium, most eco-friendly, or smartest way to get information now and look how long THAT'S taking to die... so weeeeeeeeeeee

Here's a good analogy:

Those who say that PC Gaming is Dead/Dying is just like saying that X or Y MMORPG will be the 'WoW Killer'

In order to kill PC Gaming, you will first need to kill Console gaming, because PC Gaming is a derivative of Console Gaming. Heck, all games require a PC (and I'm talking Personal Computer, not "Windows") to develop, regardless of OS that the game is developed on.

It took me about 3/4 of the episode to realize the episode WASN'T a satire on people who think pc gaming is dead. I just don't see where Bob's coming from, there are plenty of AAA pc titles in the pipeline and we are getting a indie revolution. Hey Bob, you ever heard of Minecraft? I play my PS3 maybe once a week. But my pc, I play games on it for at least an hour every day. The pc is like all of those little devices you want to replace it built into a central hub. PC's and portable devices have coexisted for decades, what makes these new consoles so amazing that they will replace the pc in gaming? I'm just scratching my head on this one Bob

Sorry, but this is foolish. Your argument includes the strange delusion that people will go out of their way to buy more objects that do individual tasks (many of which include monthly fees), rather than sticking to a single, easy to use hub where all these tasks can be done at once.

The PC isn't dead. It isn't even declining. Nothing that currently exists is more mobile that includes the same functionality WITHOUT sacrificing quality.

People are often under the delusion that technology will magically get better in every area, without thinking about the implications of that assumption. We were told that we would have flying cars, weren't we? People who said that saw growth in technology and just assumed that it would continue. Voice recognition software has been crappy for how many years? It's still crappy. A friend of mine was bragging about how good his phone was at recognizing his voice. Speaking clearly into it, he managed to get it to recognize 3/4ths of a sentence. That is terrible. People just assume it will get better.

Cell phones can't replace PCs. Inputting information into a cell phone is like pulling teeth. Functionality is limited.
Tablets won't replace PCs. Information input is still worse, internet usage is iffy, monthly fees related to internet usage are annoying. If they replace anything, they may replace laptops. Kind of.
Consoles won't replace PCs. Information input is terrible. If they ran the programs you mentioned, it would take 10-20 times as long to complete the same task. You would throw down your controller and go to your PC before you can say, "Well, that was a bad purchase."

"...the PC has in its favour that people don't have to define themselves as gamers to buy/own one. When you buy a console, you are self-proclaiming yourself a gamer. On PC, it's something that can happen by organic stealth..." Quote for this Rock Paper Shotgun article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/21/windows-gaming-experience/

Actually I'll break this down better:

The PC provides the most efficient input/output system of any device, its only drawback being the lack of mobility. Other objects provide that mobility, at the cost of functionality, input ability, and/or output quality. If people drop any of the aforementioned devices, it will not be the most functional. The PC is the most functional, most basic, most all-in-one of any device.

Perhaps mouse controls will evolve, targetting input will evolve.
Perhaps keyboard controls will evolve, text input will evolve.
Perhaps monitors will evolve, output will evolve.

The PC will still remain. People will not start buying more devices to do what one can accomplish.

Right, a rant about how PC gaming will die based on un-educated economic guesses. PC gaming is not dead it is the hub for all Indie games and modding community and saying that PC games are not dead is contradicting yourself. PC gaming is mods, indie games, and mouse and key board. and don't think for a second that Natal or Play station move can ever rival the mouse. I've tried the WII and good luck playing a RTS or anything higher then 360p on that.

Too right

Bob is right that PC gaming is going to die along with the PC, but I doubt this is going to happen this decade.

PC gaming has been declared dead for several years now, but AMD/ATI and Nvidia still pump out insanely powerful high-end graphics cards and the release schedule for PC looks damn good this year.

I think you're right in some ways about why PC's as we traditionally know them are dying out, and therefore PC gaming along with them.

But other than that

sneh

I love my PC and my games on it and consoles will never hold a candle to it. I cannot f'ing stand thumbsticks or floaty wiimote controls. End of story. Plus 720p looks like complete SHIT compared to the resolution on my PC.

btw Bob, I guess your rant was limited strictly to personal home use? Well you are neglecting the entire business/commercial world. I'm highly doubtful PC's will disappear as quickly as you seem to indicate. Try doing something like data entry, graphic design, or heck even GAME DEVELOPMENT on a tablet or cell phone. Good luck with that. Every game is developed on a PC.

Oh my god. This is hilarious. Look at all the but hurt PC Elitist who are so mad. Jesus. Seriously, I hope no one going to have a heart attack.

The worst part is that they one's that not attacking Bob, which is immature, is attacking consoles. It's like, Well, consoles fucking suck. And I'm left standing, so?...

Get over it guys, it's just his opinion. Go out in the sun and go for a walk, it'll be better when you come back trust me.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here