The Big Picture: PC Gaming Is Dead - Long Live PC Gaming!

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

Hey, Bob? Could you please refrain from talking about things you haven't the slightest clue about which is really, REALLY apparent in some of your newer videos? Just because something is sure to provoke some meaningless internet slapfight and give you more views doesn't mean it has to be made, especially with the level of incompetence you display towards the subject matter.

All these devices can still be defined as a PC or at the very least a computer. The difference is the way you interact with it, consoles are limited both in hardware and software severly enough that you can't out perform most actions PC's are used for. Tablets and phones might have some functionality of a desktop but not close enough that, I'm going to ditch my desktop for a small screen and try to program on it.

I could buy all these small devices in hopes it will remove my "cluttered" desk with my black matte tower that is covered in pretty lights and my two 23" screens side by side. But why would I want to switch between all of these for an array of tasks and then spend more money on them than a desktop when I could just sit at my desk with all the tools and performance available to me.

This video was full of ignorant statements.

The_root_of_all_evil:
*sigh*

Here's the Little Picture:

Consoles are becoming PCs.

PC is the abreviation of personal computer. And we'll always have a personal computer. It's Consoles and phones that are catching up. What's really changing is for the better as in they are gonna be less bulky, and take up a lot less space. The flatscreen is a perfect example. I can type this on a half meter desk because I have flatscreen. A CVT simply wouldn't fit.

Take the idea of the Ipod dock. You have your Ipod, and now you can plug it in and you have speakers rather than headphones, and everyone can hear the music. If you could pack into something the size of an ipod the amount of computing power or have it buffed (like speakers in the dock) to do each specific role better, then ideally you could have a unit that basically carries the information, and the hardware you want to use at the moment ie large screen, some beefed up CPU power and graphics acceleration is all you'd need for gaming, large screen for TV/Movies, then that would be brillant. You wanna go meet you mate in another town, you take your ipod sized unit and just plug it in at the other end.

It's like how people use external harddrives now, but with a basic interface really. All you need is faster DX recognition and your away. Note to the newbies, DirectX was made to stop having to do indivdual setups for eavy part of hardware. Once apon a time you had 3 graphics cards to choose from and it was the game programmers job to programm the game for all three. Now you have DX11 and all the programmers have to do is use the common (DX) language. It's like everyone from overseas having to have a translater that can speak english basically.

Err.. long rant, anyways, its the shape of the PC thats changing, and it was a great point for MBob to bring up. Made you think, didn't it ;)

PC gaming dead yeah right,niether Bioware nor Blizzard seem to agree with u and since they the only 2 gaming company's in the world that actually matter, it seems u are saddly mistaken sir.

The_root_of_all_evil:
*sigh*

Redefine words to mean what you think.

Lovely.

I'd love to think that you just created this for page views, out of spite, because most of the reviewers have their own little hate pad against computers.

I know this isn't true though. You've just redefined all the words. Whee. That's nice. And added a disclaimer that if anyone flames, you're right as well.

I'm not going to get angry, because the writing on the wall's been there for some time. You work on PCs, you play on consoles, so because you hate work, you have to differentiate them.

Comfort over Versatility. Sad. Maybe it's all just for page views though? Part of me wishes it was just a troll attempt.

BAM, thread should've been closed after this comment.

Any person with half a brain has realized that consoles are gradually evolving and turning into PCs

It's not as much as PC is dying, but consoles, not in the sense that they will cease to exist, but that the console as we know it know just won't exist.

Of course that will take some time, not because of technical limitations but Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft will hold on to them as long as possible.

Ironically enought, MovieBoB seems to miss the big picture.

We, PC gamers, are displaying blatant fanboyism etc. because we notice that consoles are indeed PC's in their own merit. What we fail to understand then is that if the two can achieve the same things, why are certain games restricted to consoles? If keyboard and mouse are the problem, why not get a usb-plugged gamepad? or usb plugged motion controller? Certainly having a centralized and portable machiene to everything on is the best solotion to home entertainment.

The console idea started out as something meant for people that had a light computer at home but still wanted to game. What it ended up to be is more entanglement in the oligopoly that is games publishing today.

Starcraft, diablo, the sims, every single (good) rts ever made, and wow are all reasons to keep buying fancy gaming computers.

Snooder:
::snip::

tl;dr = bragging about your PC. This is why people don't like the PC gaming community, cus it's all about who spent how much on what flashy piece of gear. I honestly do not care, one day there will be a tablet powerful enough to crush your current system and it will let people play Starcraft or any other conceivable game where ever they feel like. And yes, of course I would rather play on a nice big screen, my point was that one day it's gonna be a touch screen and that will be pretty nifty. Jesus, glad I didn't bother reading that troll bait back when it was first posted...

No its ok i would rather not give up the freedom of PC for something that dose the same thing except has more restrictions and is overall worse

this wasn't well done or acurrite, i started on 360 and moved to pc (never used 360 again) this was the first video of his i watched and will be the last

"PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!!!!"... the catch-cry of the teenager or 20-something year old who is under the delusion that the world started once they were born.

*sigh*

I have heard this quote so many times over the years.

Guess what?

PC gaming didn't die the first time it was mentioned. Nor the second, nor the third, nor the umpteenth. Such wisdom to believe that it will happen because they are the ones saying it, as if this sort of thing has never ever been mentioned before. I mean, how could it have been, the world wasn't around back then.

Wish there was some way we could sticky this thread, so that we could come back in a year and ask... "Are we dead yet?"

So that we could come back in 2 years, 5 years, and 10 years and ask... "Are we dead yet?"

Now go out and play in the garden, boys and girls... just try not to eat too much dirt!

/elitist rant

300lb. Samoan:

Snooder:

tl;dr = bragging about your PC. This is why people don't like the PC gaming community, cus it's all about who spent how much on what flashy piece of gear. I honestly do not care, one day there will be a tablet powerful enough to crush your current system and it will let people play Starcraft or any other conceivable game where ever they feel like. And yes, of course I would rather play on a nice big screen, my point was that one day it's gonna be a touch screen and that will be pretty nifty. Jesus, glad I didn't bother reading that troll bait back when it was first posted...

You misunderstand my point. Yes, someday the specs for my current system will be obsolete. However, simply physics, common sense, and a bit of historical perspective will show that a desktop system will ALWAYS be more powerful than a tablet or some other such device, and that said power will be necessary for something.

I tend to forget that not everyone understands computers and how hardware works, so let me explain it better. The reason why desktops are faster than laptops is exactly because of the size. Faster chips run hotter, and thus, require more cooling. Decent cooling requires the space in a desktop. This is something you can't really change unless you change the laws of thermodynamics or invent some radical new cooling system. And at that point, you'll start paying a premium for said radical cooling system.

Back in 2000 or so, I remember hearing about someone overclocking a pentium above 1ghz (with liquid nitrogen iirc) and being amazed at how much computing power that must be. Nobody could conceive of such power, I thought. Of course I was wrong, and now quad core systems running above 3ghz are commonplace, and indeed necessary for certain applications.

This is how things go. As you get more power at your fingertips, people figure out how to do more with it. Maybe you use the extra power to render a thousand enemies on a battlefied instead of a hundred. Maybe you use it for better, faster, more responsive AI. Maybe you use it to simulate environmental damage models in realtime. Or heck, maybe you just use it to create a realistic 3d hologram on the holoprojector that replaced your monitor.

I know that stuff seems farfetched now, but back 10 years ago, 2 TB drives were impossible to conceive, 1080p video was a pipedream, and the sort of graphical fidelity that we take for granted today was just not doable. And yeah, back then the same sort of people were wondering if the PC really needed the extra power. Why would anyone ever need more than 100 GB of space? cmon each doc file is like 1meg at most, how many files would u need to fill up that much space?

While I agree that PC gaming is dead (or at least on its last leg), it's not because of the reasons described in the video. PC gaming is dying because big companies are actively killing it! MS and Sony are actively paying devs to make console exclusive game. For example, the Halo series, originally also available on the PC, MS just stopped publishing it for the PC. Same with Gears of War, Alan Wake, and tons of others. Sony paid to have Heavy Rain, originally a PC title, to be exclusive on their console. If AMD and Nvidia would just set their differences aside and pay some devs to make some games for PC, or even just make good ports for PC, PC gaming wouldn't have died.

Snooder:

300lb. Samoan:

Snooder:

:snip:

:snip:

I believe you misunderstand my point, which is that one day a Tablet will be as powerful as today's PCs. It's obvious that a desktop system, unencumbered by the practical limitations of portability, will always be more powerful. But that innovation trickles down over time, which is why cell phones now are every bit as powerful as desktop systems from just a few years ago.

And please, stop with the condescending remarks and lectures about PC technology - I've been a PC user since I was 5 and have learned all I care to about desktop technology. I do not care what someone overclocked a Pentium to 10+ years ago, that couldn't hardly be less relevant to what I'm talking about. Desktops will always be cutting edge, that's why we love them, but the average user doesn't have a desktop - they either have a laptop or a tablet now.

Multiple edits: sorry about that

300lb. Samoan:

I believe you misunderstand my point, which is that one day a Tablet will be as powerful as today's PCs. It's obvious that a desktop system, unencumbered by the practical limitations of portability, will always be more powerful. But that innovation trickles down over time, which is why cell phones now are every bit as powerful as desktop systems from just a few years ago.

And please, stop with the condescending remarks and lectures about PC technology - I've been a PC user since I was 5 and have learned all I care to about desktop technology. I do not care what someone overclocked a Pentium to 10+ years ago, that couldn't hardly be less relevant to what I'm talking about. Desktops will always be cutting edge, that's why we love them, but the average user doesn't have a desktop - they either have a laptop or a tablet now.

I understand your point, I'm trying to tell you that believing in that point is shortsighted. See, my graphing calculator is as powerful as a PC from the late 80s. My laptop as powerful as a six or seven year old desktop. These machines maybe quite capable of running games from those times, but they are not capable of playing the current generations of games or doing whatever the current 'needed' computation is.

The benchmark constantly changes and it always WILL constantly change. If you agree that desktops will always be cutting edge, I fail to see how you can make a logical leap to that cutting edge being obsolete. You seem to be making the assumption that we will be playing current games, or games designed for current desktop machines in the future. We won't. And since the desktop is the arena of 'cutting edge' then we will playing those future games on future desktops.

I apologize if I appeared to be condescending, that was not my intent. My point with the anecdoctal history about overclocking was to point out how far progress in the PC desktop market has come, and how, at every step of the way people have constantly presumed that there would be no more, or that because the hardware could run the current software well enough, there would be no need for any further improvement. Which has been proven time, and time again to be false.

Snooder:

300lb. Samoan:

I understand your point, I'm trying to tell you that believing in that point is shortsighted. See, my graphing calculator is as powerful as a PC from the late 80s. My laptop as powerful as a six or seven year old desktop. These machines maybe quite capable of running games from those times, but they are not capable of playing the current generations of games or doing whatever the current 'needed' computation is.

The benchmark constantly changes and it always WILL constantly change. If you agree that desktops will always be cutting edge, I fail to see how you can make a logical leap to that cutting edge being obsolete. You seem to be making the assumption that we will be playing current games, or games designed for current desktop machines in the future. We won't. And since the desktop is the arena of 'cutting edge' then we will playing those future games on future desktops.

I apologize if I appeared to be condescending, that was not my intent. My point with the anecdoctal history about overclocking was to point out how far progress in the PC desktop market has come, and how, at every step of the way people have constantly presumed that there would be no more, or that because the hardware could run the current software well enough, there would be no need for any further improvement. Which has been proven time, and time again to be false.

You think people won't be playing Starcraft in the future? Seriously? Starcraft 1 enjoyed a thriving community from its release all the way up to the release of SC2 - that's 12 years. I think you might be the short sighted one, thinking that a desktop PC is the only viable gaming system just because it has the highest processor specs. There will always be innovation in gaming, not all of it will be in the horsepower department. While people will be playing current and future games for ages to come, on all sorts of hardware, there's nothing that says the keyboard and mouse will always be the most relevant control scheme. Gimicky as they may be now, expect motion control systems and touch/gesture systems to pave the way for some real valuable developments in the way we interact with our games in the coming years.

It's satire, dont get upset over it lol.

PC gaming ain't going anywhere and I will show you why with a little example.

I recently played Dragon Age 2. There is a nasty bug and because of it the animation of your charachter goes slower and slower to a point when it became impossible to play. The problem is cross-platforms. Consolle players are stuck untill the patch. PC players could use an editor avaible a couple of day after the publication of the game and solve the problem on the fly.

Another example, allways in Dragon Age 2. There is a bugged quest and at the end you could not receive an important item because of that bug. Well, thanks to a modder, there is a program that uses editor console functionalities that enables you to add items in the inventory. Problem solved.

Consolles and other i-devices will never allow such things because their producers want complete controll over what you can or cannot do with the machine you have paid. The day they will allow such freedom, those item will become powerless PC and open themselves to all the exploit of piracy and the like. I doubt that it will happen in the near future.

And I don't even want to begin talking about the fact that playing on the PC, a machine that can do many things in just one place seamlessly, is really confortable. If I get stuck in a game and need some hint, I just have to alt-tab, launch Firefox/Chrome (what's IE?) and look in the forums or at gamefaq, just to make an example.If I get bored by a game, I can stop, surf the web, look a movie or an episode of a TV series and return to the game.

With my PS3 (yes, I own a PS3 too for consolles exclusives I'm interested about) it's unconfortable if not impossible.

So, honestly, the video is really bad and I have the impression that the author do not know what he's talking about (since he made that strange distinction between laptop and desktop PCs). Maybe it's better if he keeps playing Mario's games and talk aout movies.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Quite. imo, it isn't that PC gaming is dying, its that PC and console gaming is merging. Consoles are becoming more like PCs, and vice versa.

I think we are, with gathering momentum, approaching a singularity where all electronic devices will become interchangeable peripherals of each other.

TV and PC are being integrated, internet telephony is making landlines obsolete, portable media players and mobile phones are now basically the same thing, and tablets are simply an extension of the desktop.

It is not hard to imagine Microsoft creating an Xbox/Windows PC hybrid in the future, perhaps allowing you to switch freely between the two. In fact, in some silicon-valley lab it has probably already been made. And this is not a bad thing.

The PCvsConsole debate is old news, ˇViva la Revolución!

PC gaming isn't dying in the slightest. What is PC gaming anyway? well what is a PC? a PC is basically a computer that uses a monitor, keyboard and mouse (plus has an OS like windows). To be frank I don't see PC gaming going anywhere until the monitor/keyboard/mouse interface paradigm is obsolete and I don't see that happening this century if ever.

Sure we have controllers and fancy touch interfaces but i'm sure everyone will concede that for actual general computer use the mouse and keyboard is much more effective.... and thus will stay with us for a long time.

I rest my case.

Everyone on here has pretty much stated everything there is to be said about this video. Bob I'm afraid you didn't quite catch the "Big Picture". Perhaps you should stick with your movies.

I guess what weirds me about this most is that... I only really got into Steam, PC gaming's biggest selling point (literally...I'd assume, if they released numbers) last year (and BOY did I sink a lot of money in 'ere)...AFTER I got my lappy, which was better than the desktop I had at the time.

To me, laptops = desktops as far as IDing a "PC". There's gaming laptops, after all. Yeah, right now, a desktop can outperform a laptop if they're both spec'd out the wazoo, but my view sees them as the same beast. Prolly the "keyboard & touchpad/mouse" interface.

I take all that back, I understand now that yeah, probably everything for the PC will eventually move to the laptop, but still, its a personal computer in some ways. It runs windows, its for gaming, so yeah, big fat personal computers may die, but we will still have laptops and such for computer gaming.

Continuity:
PC gaming isn't dying in the slightest. What is PC gaming anyway? well what is a PC? a PC is basically a computer that uses a monitor, keyboard and mouse (plus has an OS like windows). To be frank I don't see PC gaming going anywhere until the monitor/keyboard/mouse interface paradigm is obsolete and I don't see that happening this century if ever.

Sure we have controllers and fancy touch interfaces but i'm sure everyone will concede that for actual general computer use the mouse and keyboard is much more effective.... and thus will stay with us for a long time.

I rest my case.

You basically stated everything that needed to be said.

Extra Credits (created by Industry Experts) predict consoles will be dead, and explains why with a decent argument. No-one will need a dedicated machine to play games anymore. Motion control? You could get that on PC's DAYS after the Consoles release them, with software tweak.

I'm going with the guys that have realized YOU CAN USE A CONSOLE CONTROLLER ON A PC

Samurai Goomba:

grumbel:

Samurai Goomba:
A laptop. Is. A. PC.

A PC and a Gaming PC are two very different things. While your average laptop will run Office and FarmVille without a problem, it will have a much harder time playing Crysis or any other "gamer game". The amount of PCs in the world has after all never been the problem of the PC gaming market, the problem is that a lot of those PCs are not very good for modern games.

Your average PC with any kind of ability to display video can run literally thousands of games. Even laptops. This ability will only improve as technology does.

Your mistake is equating PC gaming with playing Crysis and its ilk. How is super meat boy not a "gamer game?"

Even if there was a schism between "gamer" PCs and regular PCs, it doesn't change the fact Bob is totally wrong about portable computers being PCs. They just are. He's pretty much trolling his fanbase (his Other M review is another example of this).

Because Super Meat Boy is also on the consoles...

Laptops can run games, but as a secondary function, as Bob said. They dont have their own dedicated graphics card unless you buy a laptop specifically built with its own graphics card. Without that graphics card, and can use its chipset to simulate a graphics card, but its not even close. If you use a laptop thats not meant for games for gaming, you are gonna run into a lot of problems, including games not running (and if they do, running extremely sporadically), lag, and probably a blown out fan because those chipsets arent really meant for the strain that graphic cards use.

Gaming has always been a secondary function of PC's, like Bob said. Unlesss you build a computer a certain way, its function is not for gaming. And, as technology increases, the PC is just going to get less and less appealing, for customers and developers. PC gaming is pretty much dead. Save for a few developers, most have stopped using the PC as their primary focus, and treats the PC more like a machine for ports (thanks to Steam). The only thing keeping the PC breathing is the life support from MMO's and Steam: both have limited life in them.

*sees wasteland of elitist rants, fanboy rage and all around bigotry over whos electronic amusement is superior*

well I guess I saw this one coming, sadly no one heeded Bob's words, although it was to be expected =p. I wonder if any unfortunate soul has actually read all 38 pages of nerd rage?

Coming from a family with four Laptops and a decrepit old home PC that just sits in the corner and mutters to itself, I can totally see where Bob's coming from.
I think we're already there to a surprisingly large degree, even my hardcore PC gamer friends use laptops for the sheer convenience of it.

In the end does arguing over this stuff matter? The changes have been coming since the advent of wi-fi, portability is the new paradigm for home computing, if not gaming.

as much as i hate to admit it, you are correct. and the old "real" gamers are dieing with it. all we hear now is graphics this , graphics that, nobody cares about story or gameplay.
but we must not forget strategy. consoles tried to do it and failed, and so far it still remains pretty much PC exclusive. though it is a dieing genre too. strategy is my genre of choice, and whenever i talk to other gamers i find myself alienated because more and more people are into shooters and thing that strategy is "for nerds/lusers". oh well guess im going to become one of those grumpy people who hate everything when i get old.

LOL at all the comments here.

I'm as big a PC fan as anyone else, but seriously...technology advances, they're out there. I'm hopping on that wagon.

Your off at the end, Bob. Tablet gamers won't rail against cybernetic eye games. Those will never exist. They'll be railing against holodecks.

Also, I played PC games exclusivley until I was 12, when I got the Xbox 360. This being out of necessity. However, I only played strategy games and tycoon style games on PC. That is all PC's are really good for in the realm of gaming. Strategy games don't really work on consoles. PC's will be around forever, but in laptop form (mine is). And this allows them to fill the startegy gaming niche, plus allow Dilbert to get his progress report to his boss on time while doing his taxes.

That is all.

I don't believe PC's are ONLY good for strategic-type games, though they are the only exclusives PC really has. I'm a PC gamer now, but not out of elitism or anything of the sort, really it's mostly about money. PC gaming has come cheaper to me than console gaming. When being a console gamer I had maybe 15 games at a time for my xbox, I now have over a 100 on my Steam account. The amount of sales PC gaming gets is what keeps me there really, and I don't see PC gaming genuinely dying anytime soon really, most developers still create for the PC and it's still a decent market. Just my thoughts on the subject.

There were a couple of things in this video that really didn't sit well with me, i'll list them to make it easier:

- PC's will disappear - To a degree I disagree, I doubt very much anything is going to replace the need for a keyboard/mouse & monitor, sure there are a ton of great gadgets that sort of cover and sometimes completely cover what the average PC does but it'll never replace the need for a proper screen and a keyboard/mouse. I can imagine one day having a portable PC that may double up as a phone but im willing to bet when you get home from a fishing trip or whatever you'll be plugging the keyboard, mouse & monitor into it to play 'CoD 50: Modern Fanfare 8', hell you may even be using it at the office as your work PC too for all I know.

Short version: Nothing is going to replace the need for a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Not until you can plug the computer directly into your brain.

- PC's only have 'God sims' and social games - I'll admit a lot of games are being made for consoles but you can be damn sure most of them are getting released on the PC too, on top of that we still have a fair monopoly on the MMO market which, by the way, is huge.

Also see quoted post for more PC exclusives, by the way.

- Motion controls - I realise this video came out before the Razer Hydra but c'mon, anyone could have seen that one coming.

Also, motion controls aren't going to be replacing anything, they simply don't have the same functions as the keyboard & mouse and im sure console gamers would also argue the controller.

- A message for moviebob - I respect you but this video came off like your average flame-bait post on a forum, please don't do a video like this again.

Void(null):

Damn, didn't know the PC gaming scene was so barren!

Strazdas:
as much as i hate to admit it, you are correct. and the old "real" gamers are dieing with it. all we hear now is graphics this , graphics that, nobody cares about story or gameplay.
but we must not forget strategy. consoles tried to do it and failed, and so far it still remains pretty much PC exclusive. though it is a dieing genre too. strategy is my genre of choice, and whenever i talk to other gamers i find myself alienated because more and more people are into shooters and thing that strategy is "for nerds/lusers". oh well guess im going to become one of those grumpy people who hate everything when i get old.

Everyone cares about story and graphics. Gameplay, outside of Nintendo and a few others, has fallen to the wayside. PC used to be home to the crazy-complex and awesome games, and now that's basically died out. Anyone else miss Descent, and think it would be perfect for this generation? Don't even get me started on Freespace. I really miss those old space sim games. Of anything, they would be the coolest to see brought to the modern era.

Holy crap. So many people took this the wrong way. LAWL

For a while, I believed PC gaming was on a long hiatus, only surviving on games like WoW and CS. Now, I believe PC gaming made a huge comeback out of nowhere, especially with platforms like Steam and more being released. If it weren't for Steam, I would never have heard of half the games that have been released a few years ago (like Killing Floor and Homefront) nor would I have ever found such awesome indie games. It's pretty neat.

Of course, that isn't to say that gaming consoles aren't as valuable. They're all awesome :)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here