Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Killzone 3

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews British space Nazis and Killzone 3.

Watch Video

It's not working for me, anyone else have that problem?

Why does only HALF of the door break a HALF-second later when I melee it?

Anyway, I find R1 works better than R2 for shooting on PS3.

Since it's "triggers" suck.

R2 works fine for less action focused games like RDR and Mafia 2, but with FPS games on PS3, I prefer R1.

...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?

More people for the banhammer. I almost missed them.

OT: I never had an inkling to play this, and I've never been more thankful to be blind in one eye, so I can't actually see with 3-D glasses.

Great video. I've never been much of a fan of Killzone. Though I'll admit that they got me interested with all the neato ads for KZ2, I never got past the demo for the same things Yahtzee chronicles here. The controls just don't feel right to me for some reason. Maybe it's because I play the bulk of my shooter games on the Xbox, but I just can't seem to get into Killzone.

Still, to those who enjoy the series, I hope you had a good time. I'll just be waiting for InFamous 2.

Sounds like I'm not missing much and, it sounds like my PS3 is still going to be stuck as the designated Blu Ray player for a while longer. Not that that's a bad thing.

AHA! I KNEW the British were eeeeevil! All hail Killzone for showing us the way!

*Tries to imagine Dic van Dike popping children's balloons in the park*
*Somehow manages to do it*
*Breaks reality
Dam it!

F my luck. My speakers crapped out on me less than 20 minutes ago. I'll have to borrow my mom's laptop if I'm to watch this video.

Ekonk:

So the Dutch are taking the piss out of the US of A?

I can get behind that.

Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.

I don't know if I agree with the controller issue Yahtzee was talking about. I found it pretty comfortable and worked well with the game play. I don't know killzone has always been my fps game I go to. It was a good review though.

Ekonk:

So it's revenge on Austin Powers' dad, then?

You know, I'd never considered the problem of the Move controller's light reflecting. I suppose I should have thought of it, given the amount of glare my television gets with any kind of light on in the next room.

'Course, I don't have a PS3, so it's never likely to come up for me personally. But it is an interesting highlight of Sony's failure to consider some fairly elementary flaws in its new technology.

Was never a fan of the first 3 killzone games so I don't plan on trying this one. Great review nonetheless.

Onyx Oblivion:
Why does only HALF of the door break a HALF-second later when I melee it?

Anyway, I find R1 works better than R2 for shooting on PS3.

Since it's "triggers" suck.

R2 works fine for less action focused games like RDR and Mafia 2, but with FPS games on PS3, I prefer R1.

This. R1 for shooting L1 for aiming. I hate it when games make me aim with the thumb stick buttons or shoot with the R2.

Ah yes, that old Starfleet rule. The one by which Jim Kirk's career was able to survive by.

AvsJoe:
F my luck. My speakers crapped out on me less than 20 minutes ago. I'll have to borrow my mom's laptop if I'm to watch this video.

Maybe try headphones? Just saying :) that's how I'm watching.

This was great as usual, but ironically the first time I laughed out loud was at the graphics in the end credits (imp & soldier, etc). Hilarious.

Edit: Yes and the old Starfleet rule. Worf, Riker, and Picard have all benefitted from that one at some point. Of course, Picard did say that history was littered with tragedies committed by people who claimed to have been "just following orders" (paraphrasing of course), so I guess that does legitimately fly sometimes in Starfleet.

Also, this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo

Yahtzee seemed to miss the fact that this game was made by a company based in Amsterdam.

And you could switch the crouch/aim buttons. It's called the "Alternate" control scheme.

Killzone 1,2,2.5,3..... all boring and all trying way to hard to be like every other shooter and now they (meaning Sony) have the most intriguing "sarcastic finger quotes" add campaign dude since Tom Carvel in the 1980's.
Btw.... Yahtzee is the best reviewer ever, evur, everrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

silv:

AvsJoe:

Not working either. I'm not getting any more than slight static on 'em. I even mucked around in the sound settings in the control panel to no avail.

Anyone else think that Yahtzee should make the end statement and the end animation separate? The show would be a little longer, it's kind of difficult to watch both at the same time and hearing more of the music would be great :) Good idea, bad idea, should I just sit in the corner with the hat on?

Yog Sothoth:
Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.

I wouldn't say they are really comparable...

Halo is from the "bulky" shooter archetype, where enemies can frequently take a full clip of an Assault Rifle or any non-power weapon before dying. And multiplayer is about getting the power-weapons and keeping them.

And Killzone is from the "fragile" archetype, where a quick burst of fire from any gun downs an average enemy. And multiplayer is focused around user classes, with the gun you spawned with being the most important.

Both have regenerating health, both are exclusive series, both are FPS games. That's about it for similarities.

hahahahaha this is one of the funniest reviews in a while

on another note, I hope he side steps Homefront. I feel like he made the best of the run-off jokes from the likes of Black Ops here, and another run would just be beating a comatose horse lol

The part regarding the cover system had me laughing out loud.

It's true too. I lost count of how many times I scrambled for cover only to get my face shot off anyway. And I only played the game for about an hour.

AvsJoe:

silv:

AvsJoe:

Not working either. I'm not getting any more than slight static on 'em. I even mucked around in the sound settings in the control panel to no avail.

Darn, well I hope that you can get to listen to it today :)

Finally!

Someone points out that FPS controls for the PS3 are bull!

soldier9501:
Yahtzee seemed to miss the fact that this game was made by a company based in Amsterdam.

And you could switch the crouch/aim buttons. It's called the "Alternate" control scheme.

That just makes L2 crouch a toggle.

I actually laughed out loud while watching this, which is rare for Yahtzee's stuff. Nice video.

Onyx Oblivion:

soldier9501:

That just makes L2 crouch a toggle.

Ahh. My bad, I think Alternate switches the melee and aim buttons. L1 to aim, R3 to melee. I liked it a lot more than the standard setup.

3D today is shit, they should get back on trying holographics. When i feel like i'm in the scene i'll be awed.. not if some shitty dustclouds look they're flowing in my direction for a second. :|

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here