Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I've only played the single player demo, but KZ3 seems like an extremely pretty game with vapid gameplay and unbearable dialogue. If I'd never played a modern console military FPS in my life, I'd probably think it was amazing. Unfortunately...

If Yahtzee is allowed to be pissed about 1 game depicting the british as ''the bad guys''. Then damn it! I reteain the right of being pissed that nearly every other modern fps currently out makes the entire middle east more evil than orphan eating dictators.

A lot of PS3 games use L1 for aiming and R1 for shooting. There are a lot more reliable, in my opinion, than its "triggers". Off the top of my head I can think of Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, and Dead Space that use this method so its not too uncommon.

Gotta love the satire (even if it was made by Dutch people).

The Dutch! AGAIN!

Yahtzee reviews another shooter. You're so full of surprises.

Aww shucks. I was hoping he'd do DA2, partly because I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet myself. But this review was good, too. I knew that Sony add was exaggerating about the motion controllers and the 3D.

Does Yahtzee hate the original Star Wars trillogy because all the bad guys have English accents too?

Considering the gameplay I've seen at a live demo, I'm surprised he didn't harp on the Hellghast being the most ridiculously redundant and completely useless force ever created.

Seriously, based on what I saw, you have to actively work towards getting killed.

Can we expect to see a Dragon Age 2 review soon?

also Killzone 3 is made by a Dutch Company

Onyx Oblivion:

Urameshi13:
So hold on a second. I get that you're pissed about all the baddies having English accents. But it's developed by a Dutch company, published by a Japanese company, and somehow it's America's fault?

You missed the logic train on this one, Crosshaw.

It's cool to blame America for things without any actual evidence these days.

Insulting the US is like insulting Call of Duty or Halo. You don't need evidence or logic to your insult! People will agree with you, anyway!

It's kind of funny, but if a regular poster like you or I were to demean a country as much as Yahtzee does America in his videos, we'd be banned from the site.

Killzone is developed in Amsterdam, I go by their office every now and then, there's a big ass helgan mug on the building.

I have a feeling they had a shortage of voice talent and just went for "some british guys". The fit for the voice actor in the very first sequence was ridiculously bad.

Agree with Yahtzee on most of the points. Sony pressured Guirella into making some set piece moments, but those feel like they've been glued together by a bunch of monkeys, which is why the story makes no sense at all.

However I don't agree on the controls. They're brilliant. Apparently Yahtzee didn't try the third layout which maps the melee attack to R3 which makes it perfect. Nor has he mentioned the serious improvements of the "tank heavy" controls made since KZ2.

Nor did he mention the multiplayer which is actually the reason to buy the game. Finally the PS3 has Team Fortress 2-level multiplayer experiences. Using the Infiltrator class with the infinite sprint is just so much fun, not to mention the walkers, the nukes, the dynamic mission modes that switch on the fly in a single map and so much more.

The game's definitely worth it, just ignore the single player campaign and jump straight into MP.

bit_crusherrr:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

I think Yahtzee must just look at the case and review the game. For all his popularity and so forth, he's a terrible reviewer. Good comedian, sure, but as a reviewer? Nah, would take anything he says with an ocean-load of salt. I remember being particularly irked by his Mirror's Edge review.

secretsantaone:

If you really knew anything about British culture, you'd know it is extremely judgemental of facist regimes, due to having fought a long and bitter war against Nazi Germany, singlehandedly for the most part, losing hundreds of thousands of lives and living for 6 years in a state of rationing where basic supplies were in shortage.

George Orwell's 1984 is a much stronger statement about British attitudes towards oppression and tyranny than a line of tabletop roleplaying games. The British aren't as obsessed as much with becoming a facist state, they're more interested in what would have happened if they'd let the Nazis/USSR take over or become like that themselves so they can thank god they still live in a democracy.

A couple of years ago British National Party (a kind of pseudo facist/racist group) leader Nick Griffin was booed and ridiculed on Question Time which is supposed to be a serious question and answer session between various politicians/activists and the public. There was enormous controversy about him going on in the first place.

People aren't happy because after 6 years of suffering the worst conditions imaginable; little food, constant bombings, thinking German spies might be walking amongst you, worrying your husband/son/brother might die at any given moment, the knowledge that you're pretty much outgunned in terms of military force with no military help from any other nation outside the Commonwealth for a long period and hundreds of thousands of soldiers dying all around the world, damn right people are going to be annoyed when they cast British people as the very people who we gave so much to fight, while the good guys are a nation who came half-way through the war and barely felt these aspects beyond soldiers dying.

But then again I do hate Jews.

We're talking about pop culture, not the culture in of itself. This revolves around fantasy and how the Britan likes to portray itself, not reality. You'll notice I haven't mentioned ONE source of role-playing games, but tons of differant things all around a similar theme, including one of the longer running comic universes out there.

The point here being is that with all of this stuff being produced, I don't see where there is any room to complain about Killzone, which is just another work of fantasy in a similar vein. The only possible reason to say "well this is differant" is simply because it seems to be being made by someone who isn't British. Sort of like a black person shooting off the "N" word every 15 seconds and then getting all upset when someone else does it.

I never said the British were goosestepping through the streets to planning campaigns of facist world domination in reality, simply that there is a definate trend to show that within british pop culture. You can protest it all you want and say that it's contrary to the British mentality as a whole, and that's fine, I believe you that people don't act that way in public or go around screaming that idealogy, but at the end of the day it's a popular escapist concept. I'm sure part of the whole appeal is specifically BECAUSE it's "wrong" sort of like kids wanting to be pirates, or going through a phase where they are interested in criminals and seriel killers. People don't go watch horror movies and cheer for the bad guys (hey it happens) due to some actual desire to go out and committ sadistic acts of murder. People go to see "A Nightmare On Elm Street" to see Freddy Kreuegar kill people in messed up ways, which is why he's iconic, and they sell action figures of him, not of the teen girls who ultimatly defeat him. :)

Yahtzee has no reason to pick on this aspect of things like it's in some way unfair, because it really isn't.

If you want to get technical as well, for all of the "OMG, we suffered so much" stuff from World War II, remember The British Empire was at one time the dominant world power, and engaged in a LOT of very aggressive wars of conquest before overextending itself. For all pretensions of "oh well we grew out of that" it's foolish to try and claim with a straight face that people don't look back at the time when their people were dominant, and the techniques and tactics they used to do it. Because of how relativelty recent he was people will point fingers at Hitler, but on a lot of levels he wasn't all that differant from other conquering powers. You can draw as many analogies between a lot of these really fascist and aggressive British fantasy concepts, and the time of The British Empire. Heck, Kipling probably would have found a lot to like in "Warhammer 40k".

Every nation wants to publically present itself as being peaceful, reactive, and nice guys, well unless they are the dominant world power usually. When fortunes change pretty much every former power goes "Ummm, yeah about all that fascism, racism, conquest and brutality... we're really sorry, we've outgrown that" and then whine about being on the receiving end.

The bottom line is that there is no reason to get defensive about it, or try and deny it, it's all right there so you can't anyway. My point isn't to be judgemental of any point except the hypocricy of the complaint... and again, nobody is saying that the British guy on the street right now is secretly some kind of militant maniac, not even fans of the materials being mentioned, no more than someone who likes horror movies is secretly planning to go on murder rampages.

Nile McMorrow:

Also Yathzee please note, We didn't help the USA beat the Germans in WW2, We beat the Germans and the USA jumped in and got shot. Then they went and blew stuff up in an unrelated country.

Oh yeah you and France were doing just fine without our help, letting them occupy France and bomb London was just a trick to fool the Nazis into thinking they were winning :P

I keed, I keed :3 But seriously, I doubt there is any intentional racism going on. Killzone 3 is just a mediocre shooter trying to blind us with shiny new gimmicks to distract us.

Yahtzee, while I love your videos, you need to do a little research before you blame Americans for the British accent thing, the game was developed in the Netherlands.

bit_crusherrr:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.

This. I love Yahtzee, but for fuck's sake, he needs to do a bit of fact-checking. I remember that Smash bros brawl review he made where he complained about all the problems it had, half of them being down to him not checking the options.

FieryTrainwreck:
I've only played the single player demo, but KZ3 seems like an extremely pretty game with vapid gameplay and unbearable dialogue. If I'd never played a modern console military FPS in my life, I'd probably think it was amazing. Unfortunately...

You'd probably have an aneurysm if you'd played KZ2. half-decent gameplay and good visuals, surrounded by the negative: irritating, piss-poor characters, a potentially likeable atmosphere ham-handedly implemented via vague nazi iconography and pretty graphics, an otherwise interesting backstory viciously looted to fuel vapid crap and left to rot, and I kid you not - literally the worst story of all time, thanks in no small part to some truly godawful writing staff which I won't get into here, because it gives me a cathartic high and I simply cannot stop ragging on how shit it was.

So consequently, I enjoyed KZ3. t was "bearable" and that's ten steps up from KZ2.

Can't wait for Uncharted 3.... I wonder what the enemies are in that game.....

this game is dutch! so the whole point of USA hating the UK is moot

gamegod25:

Nile McMorrow:

Also Yathzee please note, We didn't help the USA beat the Germans in WW2, We beat the Germans and the USA jumped in and got shot. Then they went and blew stuff up in an unrelated country.

Oh yeah you and France were doing just fine without our help, letting them occupy France and bomb London was just a trick to fool the Nazis into thinking they were winning :P

I keed, I keed :3 But seriously, I doubt there is any intentional racism going on. Killzone 3 is just a mediocre shooter trying to blind us with shiny new gimmicks to distract us.

Yes, it was all a clever diversion but France wasn't in on it. The French gave up so there was no point in trusting them. If you Americans had kept away, we would have been able to ativate order 67 and taken down the Germans from the inside but now we have to save it till WW3.

I also keed, but its true when America joined in, they got shot more than us. A lot more.

I was under the impression that R1 to shoot was standard on the PS3. R3 to aim seems a bit weird though.

Guerilla are Dutch developers, just saying.

No problem if your bashing something, just bash it correctly...

Geez Yahtzee man up. Tons of games use the stick buttons for zoom and R1 for trigger, you'd think, being a gaming critic you'd have come across a few by now.

I may dislike playstation controllers but I still find R1 perfectly usable and while L buttons are indeed best for zooming it's hardly the end of the world.

Otherwise, very fine review and way to stick up for the Brits *thumbs up*.

Timing problems prevented from seeing that side at about 1:23. Last video had issues like this a bit worse.

Anywho, pretty solid lampoon review all around, perhaps the end dragged on a bit long without adequate sight gag though.

It was made in the Netherlands...

Ekonk:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?

Yeah, this. I was sitting there going "hang on a bit, Guerrilla Games is based in Amsterdam"..

As a german I'll say that you're way to easily offended and that you should suck a sock.
As a dutch guy i'll point out that Killzone is made by a dutch developer so all the references to USA patriotism can go fuck themselves.

Yog Sothoth:
Just as I've always thought: Killzone is nothing more than a poor man's Halo.

Accept your not bloody space marines, and as far as I can tell your not fighting aliens. If anything Resistance would have been your halo analogy.

I haven't played any kill zone game, not huge on first person shooters (I have played resistance one and it was pretty good).

I kinda don't get why Yaht is still covering this game, you hated the first 2, Jay Sherman we know you think it stinks, that's not going to change. Why not be bold and cover a game where your input would be slightly more surprising him?

This is the first Zero Punctuation I've watched in a couple months. Nice to see I haven't missed much. Same old, same old... <yawn>

THE GAME LOOKS BETTER OUT OF 3D?!(sarcasm)
Seriously, 3D is and always has been a gimmick and I'll probably be keeping the 3D off when I get a 3DS.

Sorry Yahtzee, but I believe the game is a Dutch production, not an American one. (I may be wrong, but I thought I'd read that somewhere)

This is probably one of Yahtzees weakest reviews. The arguments he comes up with (and there honestly arent many. Hell, maybe he liked the game afterall?) are abit dodgy (i mean, complaining about something that can be changed in options?). And he seems to think the game is American... Yeah, i mean, so little knowledge from someone who works in the industry is pretty ridiculous.

This review is right up there with his MGS4 one (which complained about a weapon you only have if you play on 'Very Easy') as one of Yahtzees... Not "worst" but, 'poorest' reviews.

I'm confused.

Every PS3 shooter I've played, and for that matter PS2 has had R1 as the shoot button by default.

Can someone shed some light on this? I feel alone and frightened and I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Isn't the KZ franchise made by the Dutch? Why are Americans getting blamed?

BlueInkAlchemist:

Ekonk:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?

So the Dutch are taking the piss out of the US of A?

I can get behind that.

Anyone not from the US of A can, mate.

Stupid gimmicky bullshit is stupid and gimmicky? NOOOOOOOOOO.

Be honest Yahtzee, what the fuck did you expect? A stupid movie gimmick is bad enough on it's own, but a badly designed game taking on two stupid gimmicks is begging for disaster.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here