Trailers: Guild Wars 2 Thief Skills

Guild Wars 2 Thief Skills

The thief runs across rooftops, flips, and demonstrates skills in Guild Wars 2.

Watch Video

Looks so much better than Diablo 3's Demon Hunter, Blizzard really should be taking notes on how to be cheesy AND cool.

How is this a thief? Looks cool and all, but to call that a thief is silly. Is it because it has invisibility? Can it even steal anything?!

EDIT: Okay, as long as it can steal. It was funny tho, in the video it met every enemy straight on, no surprises. Then on the description it mentions "A master of stealth and surprise, the thief is deadly in single combat-particularly when catching enemies off guard."

LOL

Yes actually it can steal, it just wasn't shown in the trailer.
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/thief/

Those might just have been the most agile dominatrixes I've ever seen.

Zhukov:
Those might just have been the most agile dominatrixes I've ever seen.

Hmmmm... I'd say third. XD

It can actually steal from enemies and get a special skill, for example if it steals a skull from an ogre the Thief gets Fear.

Slight delay on the video though, but good to have it on The Escapist^^

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFxdwi18tiQ
There a video of an actual steal, towards the end of the video. Also, the ending is quite funny.

Sober Thal:
How is this a thief? Looks cool and all, but to call that a thief is silly. Is it because it has invisibility? Can it even steal anything?!

Sure can. It's one of its unique abilities. From the wiki: "Thieves are able to steal things from enemies, which they can then use as environmental weapons against them. The mechanic does not literally steal an item, but rather creates an environmental weapon based on the creature targeted and automatically replaces the thief's equipped weapon with it."

This means that it can steal feathers from a bird and throw them at the enemy to blind them, or steal a bottle of beer from a pirate to drink for some Energy regeneration, or any number of things. Each type of enemy has several different things a thief can steal from it.

Well...

I think I know what class I'm playing as now.

Looks to me like the assassin mixed with a bit of ranger abilities. Still, I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me somewhat happy. I was worried when they said that the assassin likely wouldn't be making a return.

Captcha: Ilemfoo funded. Just who is the ilemfoo group and what are they funding?

I think the thief class has stolen my heart!

Sober Thal:

loving the pistol/dagger combo skill that uses the pistol shot to shadowstep on impact, totally sold me on making a thief character.

man this looks fun i might pick up guild wars2

It's the first time I see this game and what strikes me the most is that the graphics are insanely awful! In times where we can have the RAGE engine for incredible online experiences, this is a complete turn-off.

Sober Thal:

EDIT: Okay, as long as it can steal. It was funny tho, in the video it met every enemy straight on, no surprises. Then on the description it mentions "A master of stealth and surprise, the thief is deadly in single combat-particularly when catching enemies off guard."

LOL

Yeah, I wish they'd make the class names more accurate. Rogue is a really vague broad term these days and these guys were more of the 'mystical assassin' variant than someone who simply steals from people. Teleporting around, turning invisible and doing other ridiculous events. I have seen no thievery take place in this video.

That said, did anyone else wince when that guy fell right on top of a bunch of caltrops? Forget the gunshot, THAT would sting.

Looks pretty cool overall, but yes, somewhat cheesy.

Woem:
It's the first time I see this game and what strikes me the most is that the graphics are insanely awful! In times where we can have the RAGE engine for incredible online experiences, this is a complete turn-off.

Okay, I have to address this. I keep hearing people complain about graphics that would have looked absolutely breath-taking 2-3 years ago.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but:

The graphics aren't the problem, the level of detail and collisions are what is bothering you.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but it's been said before; the level of graphics in games is reaching the point where we probably won't be able to improve them much anymore. I want the industry to STOP focusing so darn much on graphics, they aren't that important!

Awe yeah the Assassin (the class it is base from in GW1) is reborn into a Thief!! The Thief look so gangsta with those pistols attack skill!

Sober Thal:

EDIT: Okay, as long as it can steal.

Meepo:
Yes actually it can steal, it just wasn't shown in the trailer.
http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/thief/

Actually, that last bit with the giant ogre (ettin) and the tree monster (oakheart) did show stealing. It was just difficult to see because he was stealthed. He stole a big branch from the oakheart and used it to smash the ettin. It is also meant to show that stealing doesn't break stealth, which is awesome.

I would also like to go off on a tangent and point out the Thief won't always be wearing clothes like that. In fact, he/she can wear clothes

Woem:

1) Would seeing them in actual Hi-Def do anything for ya? What about in 3D?

2) What exactly are you comparing this to?

3) Quit trollin.

bushwhacker2k:

Sober Thal:

LOL

Yeah, I wish they'd make the class names more accurate. Rogue is a really vague broad term these days and these guys were more of the 'mystical assassin' variant than someone who simply steals from people. Teleporting around, turning invisible and doing other ridiculous events. I have seen no thievery take place in this video.

That said, did anyone else wince when that guy fell right on top of a bunch of caltrops? Forget the gunshot, THAT would sting.

Looks pretty cool overall, but yes, somewhat cheesy.

Woem:

Okay, I have to address this. I keep hearing people complain about graphics that would have looked absolutely breath-taking 2-3 years ago.

Correct me if I'm mistaken but:

The graphics aren't the problem, the level of detail and collisions are what is bothering you.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but it's been said before; the level of graphics in games is reaching the point where we probably won't be able to improve them much anymore. I want the industry to STOP focusing so darn much on graphics, they aren't that important!

Well this isn't even true beta pictures as well so I am sure they will probably fix up all the collisions and stuff like that or atleast improve it.

Nice to see the Escapist actually add some Guild Wars 2 info instead of just obsessing over the Star Wars MMO. Well at least I have good people in the group keeping me up to date.

2xDouble:

Woem:

3) Quit trollin.

I'm comparing this to GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption. And there's a big difference between giving critique and trolling. This game uses an updated version of the Guild Wars engine, which dates back to 2005. If you look at the character animation, for example of the thief running over the rooftops, you can not really say it's smooth or realistic, can you? The "swishes" the sword makes are more square than circles.

Woem:

2xDouble:

Woem:

3) Quit trollin.

I'm comparing this to GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption. And there's a big difference between giving critique and trolling. This game uses an updated version of the Guild Wars engine, which dates back to 2005. If you look at the character animation, for example of the thief running over the rooftops, you can not really say it's smooth or realistic, can you? The "swishes" the sword makes are more square than circles.

The thing is, it's an MMO. GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption are not. MMO graphics always lag behind those of other games, that's the nature of the beast. Especially in games like this one where they want older computers to be able to play it as well. They're making up for it by going for a painterly look rather than a photorealistic one, as seen in this screenshot:

Thieves looks pretty cool, going all guns akimbo on those enemies...plus those long black trenchcoat-esque armors and shadowstepping squee'd the inner Assassin in me. :o

Woem:

2xDouble:

Woem:

3) Quit trollin.

Well this is still Beta or before that even not 100% so they still have time to work on it a bit but even at that it is a MMO and as far as MMOs go it is really up there graphics wise. Although MMOs aren't really about graphics graphics aren't even secondary when it comes to MMORPGs.

Woem:

The problem here is that you're comparing an MMO to a single player game not comparing it to other MMOs, because if we go by your logic Red Dead Redemption looks like a piece of crap compared to Crysis.

Now compared to other MMOs, Guild Wars 2 is ahead of the crowd visual wise and even though the Final Fanasty XIV MMO is the most graphically intensive MMO on the market (so far) it's still dull & boring to look at compared to Guild Wars 2.

Thief is a great name for it since rogue is way over used today. As far as graphics go GW2 is ahead of the curve as far as MMOs are concerned. Check out the website for more info before you knock it. Especially pay attention to cross class skills, dynamic events, and how rezzing is handled, I an Phyched!

Woem:

I've watched it again, several times, trying desperately to see what you're talking about.

Yes, the run animation is smooth and realistic for someone running on rooftops with a sword and pistol in hand. Then again, true realism would probably have her falling off those steep rooftops, and that's no fun. But do notice, as she sits, that her feet and legs aren't flat and even on the uneven plane, as many other games would have done. (At least she's not in heels.)

What do you mean by "square"? The sword slashes in all three slashing videos are circular (semicircular, to be precise. except in the leaping death blossom video). I must assume you meant the jagged edges inside the trailing image, indicating changes of direction by the blade/stealing hand. Those are far more realistic than a straight, flat sweep.

[sarcasm]Yes, updates never change anything do they... Quake engine 4 was exactly the same as Quake 3 and 2, Havoc 2 is exactly the same as original Havoc... /sarcasm.

It was unfair of me to call you a troll (it wasn't that good a joke anyway), but your claims are unsubstantiated. If this game isn't enough like Rockstar's gritty, brown, cel-shaded megahits for some people, then so be it. Those games will still be around. I will, however, give the benefit of the doubt and remind everyone that Guild Wars 2 is still pre-alpha and relatively unpolished (yet looks this good!). It can only get better between now and release. I would also like to invite/challenge Rockstar to make a fantasy game like this. Without sarcasm, I'd love to see that.

It's like the Assassin and Ranger classes from GW1 had a baby, and it's really strong.

I'd call that a Ranger, or maybe an Assassin... thief doesn't make much sense.
Oh well, I already know what I'll be playing anyway~ (NeccrooooS)

Damn you Nidhoggr, the Net Serpent! I have lost another one of my posts to the great nether. But as I was saying I'm glad GW2 is getting some love from the Escapist, I was beginning to think you were avoiding the news posts on purpose.

Thief doesn't look drastically different from the GW Assassin but I still want to play one NAO!

Nice, good to see some Guild Wars 2 related content on the Escapist.

Someone explain to me how a branch stolen from one enemy is more effective on an ogre than the swords that he had?

Nah, but seriously, it's nice to see some GW2 content finally on this site. Although, rumor has it that the game is still very far from its projected release. This game shows a lot of promise compared to the other NC Soft MMOs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did I just see a few noobs get pwned?

Sober Thal:

LOL

Rogues have moved from "sneaky stealthy action" to, well, I guess the best label would be "combat pragmatists". Y'know, the kind of guy that will do anything to win, like he SHOULD.

OT: I love rogues, glad to see more of them. I must say, though, what fluke of breeding produced that thing in the second clip?

This is definitely going to be my class; love the idea of a pistol/dagger combination. However, I wonder if other, more traditional rogue/thief abilities will be included; stuff like poisons, lock picking and trap disarming.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here