Why Child of Eden Made Me Cry

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Why Child of Eden Made Me Cry

Child of Eden is trippy, gorgeous, and weird, which is why it's so moving.

Read Full Article

This game needs to be in my 360 now

Wow that trailer alone make me want to buy a 360 just to own that game! It's so mesmerising and the music sounds like the band Genki Rockets (they did the song Heavenly Star in No More Heroes).

The game looks astoundingly beautiful and fun, just wish their demo hadn't been out in the open (I understand why, just wish it hadn't been so could have gotten up the nerve to try it.)

I suspect, if all goes well, it will be another hook for non-gamers and the killer app for the Kinnect. It may even be the one that gets me to convince Shamus to get a Kinnect. Up until now I haven't been interested.

I now have a new favorite trailer, putting Dead Island in second.

I stand by previous statements i have made on this game, that it will be the kinects BIG title, putting kinect a healthy lead ahead of the move (Which has bugger all).

I think I had an epileptic seizure. Pretty, though.

One of those rare games I am actually willing to get on day one. I loved Rez. Loved Space Channel 5 even more. Can't wait for this one. Hope I do not need a Kinect to play it, though.

eharriett:
One of those rare games I am actually willing to get on day one. I loved Rez. Loved Space Channel 5 even more. Can't wait for this one. Hope I do not need a Kinect to play it, though.

You don't need one, no.

Awesome trailer and (hopefully) awesome game O_O

Want. Loved the Rez music so much I play in tourist mode just to hear it, especially the Adam Freeland track.

And game-as-art critics say games can't make people cry. Nonsense, I say!

dthree:
Want. Loved the Rez music so much I play in tourist mode just to hear it, especially the Adam Freeland track.

"Fear it's the m'm'm'Mind Killer"
I hear that one in my sleep sometimes. It's just one of those songs that pops into your head from time to time.

I'll probably cry the first time I play Child of Eden too; and this time it wont be because I have a vibrating brick in my crotch.
I would say it's probably THE game I'm most looking forward to right now. Q Entertainment is probably my favorite dev studio. Not all of their games are big but they never fail to entertain.

Crimson_Dragoon:
And game-as-art critics say games can't make people cry. Nonsense, I say!

As a parent, the mall scene of Heavy Rain was one of the most emotionally draining experiences in gaming, and I knew how it ended before I started it.

Wow! So this is how it feels to be trippin' on acid...

I approve!

I made a rule to myself a while ago never to buy a console for a single game, but that trailer may just have changed my mind. Or it would, if I could afford a 360 anytime soon...

Dthree brings up a point I forgot about that I hope is in Child of Eden: Tourist Mode. That really was something about Rez that I loved. The ability to play it for the simple sake of playing it. A feature I think more games should have without needing a cheat code. Sometimes, I like playing the game just to be part of the story. Not often, but sometimes. Now that I think about it, that's one of those times when I feel like playing Rez.

For some reason this game gives me a sort of Flower vibe from it (which, interestingly enough, also made me cry a bit towards the end. Manly tears.), and apparently it's coming out for the Ps3 as well? I might check it out, but this game was most likely designed for Kinect use. Looks funky, though.

But....but....I dont WANT to get a kinect! Its just a gimmick! I refuse to believe something good can come of it!!! My worldview! Let it beeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Umm, ok, looks good enough, but I prefer de Blob's music myself. Personal preference, as always, trumps everything else. I haven't played de Blob mind you, but I love the Bamboos.

I always loved the way Rez used visuals, music and vibration to simulate a form of synesthesia and bring you into this sensory trance. They pulled it off wonderfully well too. I have sound → color synesthesia, and Rez is a weird but awesome trip.

All I know is I want more and I'm sure Child Of Eden will provide.

I saw the E3 demonstration, which I thought was neat, but I hadn't seen the trailer in this article before, and that made me cry too. The part where the guy's removing the black stuff from the jellyfish. I'd have to get a Kinect and 360 before getting this game though, and I don't intend to get either of those.

I have been looking forward to this game for so long. Rez is one of my favorite games ever, and I've been trying to suppress my impatience ever since I heard about Child of Eden. I'm glad to hear that it's as good as I've been hoping it would be.

It got to you huh? Yeah, I still get chills from watching that trailer. That is the only game I am interested in buying the Kinect for, heck that might warrant an Xbox purchase to boot.

It's very colorful indeed but um. I'm not really into rail shooters unless i'm in a arcade soo... I'll just to patapon if I want a game with cool visuals and nice music with an interactive element.

It's remakes like this that make me want to waste my wallet on a 360 and a Live subscription.

I'm as big a Rez fan as anyone else, and I'm glad to see that Child of Eden will be well worth it. It's also coming out for the PS3 and Move, but playing it on Kinect kinda seems more... organic? Lolwat.

Is Kinect/Move required, though?

I... I think I just saw God...

AetherWolf:
Is Kinect/Move required, though?

Nope, controllers are fine. Which is good news for me, too.

Saw the trailer for this awhile back and have been eagerly awaiting the release ever since. Getting kinect for this game alone is worth it. Can't wait to get it hooked up to my bigass TV with surround sound, turn off the lights, and just get lost.

wow...makes me wanna get Kinect (this and Dance Central...might be getting somewhere Microsoft!)

I mean, I've always wanted to play a game where I'm fighting off viruses with my bare hands heh totally since high school Biology :p

I must be the only "artistically deprived" person on this website, because I just don't see it. It looks like fun for about, 5 minutes? Or when I'm baked out of my mind.

It's a bunch of random colors and sequences without any context. I don't get how it constitutes a game, it's more of a novelty but everyone is hailing it as the most gorgeous thing ever that they would buy a console for the single purpose of playing it.

Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

Nice to have such a personal article Susan, it made me want to give you a hug :)

SteelStallion:
I must be the only "artistically deprived" person on this website, because I just don't see it. It looks like fun for about, 5 minutes? Or when I'm baked out of my mind.

It's a bunch of random colors and sequences without any context. I don't get how it constitutes a game, it's more of a novelty but everyone is hailing it as the most gorgeous thing ever that they would buy a console for the single purpose of playing it.

Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

Its games like this which allow you to switch off your brain and just enjoy the experience. Theres nothing like plot or characterisation you have to worry about, just plain old fun. The inclusion of kinect play makes it look properly impressive.

I wonder if 3ds on it to, that would kick ass.

I played Child of Eden at PAX, and I loved it. It and Dance Central are the only two games that have made me want a Kinect.

Also, I think it'd be wonderful if they released a Kinect Compatible patch for the Rez XBLA game.

I want it. I want it now. GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here