Critical Miss: Dragon Age 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

It's dragon effect now.

Popido:

Better to go water those indie flowers now, so we can put them into bigger pots eventually.

But Instead their releases get pirated and the problem turns full circle. It is a lack of responsibility on a lot of peoples' parts.

That was very much amusing, yes.

Do want. Or Do i!?

The Gentleman:
...And this is why PC gaming is dying: because you don't have to deal with this shit with the consoles.

Oh ho ho. I'll post an anti-PC gaming comment on a forum filled with Pc gamers!
Seriously though, from what I've seen at least, PC gaming is thriving. You don't have to deal specifically with DRM shit on an Xbox but, I at least, didn't have to deal with it on my PC either as I just simply used Steam. If you hate accounts then sure, you have every reason to hate it but, for me, I find steam rather useful. Hell, if I hadn't started using steam when I did I would have a load of shelves filled with games by now.
Furthermore, most people I know are buying Gaming pcs nowadays because they are tired of the shit they deal with on their xbox. Ie, Controller is sub-par compared to mouse and keyboard, they are trying to add on gimmicks to allow them to live for longer and bring them closer to Pcs, but only end up having a sub-par PC with 2 or 3 games they can't play on the PC.
On top of that it costs more to have an Xbox nowadays due to their lifespan+Game cost.
In any case, DA2, whilst most likely not achieving the "RPG of the decade accolade" is definitely a fine enough game. That being said, I only had one bug that was fixed by a quick tinker with settings. Wasn't even a game breaking bug.
(How many of you are incapable of taking a joke? There hasn't exactly been any other RPG worth mentioning so far this year and PC gamer decided to make a joke combining that with the quality of the game. It was phrased as a rhetorical question, in any case)

Oh, also, good strip. I hope EA see it.

Ajna:

this isnt my name:
I get tired of the Welsh jokes, atleast have somthing to back up the things, like Americas obesity problem.

It's funny, because I have this crazy feeling you haven't even been to America, so you only have news outlets to rely on for the "obesity problem".[rant snipped]

Wow. Somebody hit a nerve.

But yeah. Nobody who's ever been to America could come away with the impression that a large percentage of the country really sits around the house when it sits around the house. Totally absurd.

You make it sound as if the Metacritic "scandal" was an official BioWare initiative and not the singular effort of a DA2 developer praising his own game.

You make it sound as if the vestiges of SecuROM on the game that no-one cried foul about until it was "exposed" by a single website is a game-breaking issue.

You make it sound like sucking at PR is a new concept for EA.

Way to jump on the hysteria bandwagon, guys. I wouldn't call this comic a lie, or a "nega-truth". It's just plain old ignorance.

Seems to me that the players of this game is divided into a couple of camps:

The players who went into it guarded, but with open minds and willing to suspend their expectations and were willing to engage the game on its own terms. These people all seems generally positive and pleased. (Also, there are fanboys, but who the fuck cares about them?)

Then there are the people who keep thumping their chests in righteous indignation at the game for failing to live up their personal, and very specific, ideas of what a Dragon Age game is supposed to be. As if they would know. Clearly, I don't need to point out intellectually dishonest, and outright arrogant that is. That they are disappointed is obvious, and irrelevant.

And then, of course, there are the people who keep pointing out the marketing blunders, as if it was important.

I haven't played much of the game, myself, but I am struck at how human it is compared to Origins. The art direction is much more distinct, and the facial animations (there actually are any!) open up for some genuine immersion during dialogue and cut scenes. Especially considering that the characters are among the best Bioware has crafted thus far. The frequent re-using of scenery is occasionally annoying, especially when they haven't even bothered to update the maps, but as long as you're in Kirkwall, it's fine.

And no, it's not Dragon Effect, it's Jade Age.

I have an odd feeling that Blondie McKnife-ears in the background looking at that sheep is going to become much funnier when I eventually play this game.

LIES! There is no sheep in Dragon Age 2!!!

RejjeN:
LIES! There is no sheep in Dragon Age 2!!!

That is because all the Dalish keep them hidden >;)

Celtic_Kerr:

JeanLuc761:

Zeetchmen:
Feel sorry for all the people that ended up buying the "RPG of the decade" ^o^

As someone who loves DA:O and DA2, I can confidently say you don't need to feel sorry for me ;)

Seconded! I love this game! it's fantastic!

Thirded. Haters gonna hate.

BobDobolina:

Ajna:

this isnt my name:
I get tired of the Welsh jokes, atleast have somthing to back up the things, like Americas obesity problem.

It's funny, because I have this crazy feeling you haven't even been to America, so you only have news outlets to rely on for the "obesity problem".[rant snipped]

But yeah. Nobody who's ever been to America could come away with the impression that a large percentage of the country really sits around the house when it sits around the house. Totally absurd.

Yes, totally absurd, but unlike you, I don't say that sarcastically.

The average American is no fatter than, to pick a country "completely at random", the average Canadians.

Also, nice passive aggressive use of the term "rant snipped" when it was literally four sentences. One paragraph of disagreement is a "rant" now, I suppose.

I don't claim America to be inherently better than other countries, but to claim it is inherently worse without any proof is just asinine.

It doesn't have SecuROM. Learn to use a computer.

EDIT: Allow me to expand upon this. When the game is installed, Sony Release Control distributes two files to the user's temp folder and deletes itself. The files in the temp folder are identified as SecuROM because they call on similar functions, but they are inactive. As in, they don't do anything. You can delete them and nothing will happen.

If there is SecuROM in this game, then it remains undiscovered and unreported. The thing that has been reported is not SecuROM. This has gone beyond being a misunderstanding and become a myth. People are so eager to believe that EA, being the antichrist, has thrown everything they don't like into every new game. While there are a lot of things worth criticizing EA for (their marketing, business practices, etc), this is not one of them.

Except for the sheep joke, I deem this comic a... critical miss.

Genius CM this time. Really loved it. Bioware/EA need to get their head straight!

So I bought DA2. It's still in her shiny wrappers, since I decided to play the pirate version instead. And my life is better because of that. QED for the problems facing AAA industry, I guess. Sure doesn't make me feel like buying many games with what limited budget I have to use for entertainment. But I guess natural selection will eventually work these problems out.

James Raynor:
It's dragon effect now.

Yeah I was afraid of that. One of the reasons I am waiting for a cheap game of the year edition. I will stick to that if they keep rushing them out. I am going to go ahead and pick up ME3 as it is the last in the series and I like the feeling they create for it. Matches the setting in my opinion.

As for the comic: made me laugh. Keep them coming!

once again a "no getter" because i dont get it.
and i 'd rather play risen and risen2.
arkania can sock it , because it is just a stolen copy.

To be fair, I bet that review writer played the game once. Therefore, he's technically a "user", making his review a "user review".

Also, Dragon Age 2 is the best game evar. It totally has awesome quets and skillz that make you leetz. And itll totally max out your gamerscore like the cool cats... (oh, wait dammit) umm, "cool dawgz".

(Hauls off phat lootz from Bioware)

Ajna:

BobDobolina:

Ajna:

Yes, totally absurd, but unlike you, I don't say that sarcastically.

Sarcastically! Well I never! I was agreeing with you! It would be absolutely wrong to imply that America is so fat that it smokes a ham after sex, or that it beeps when it backs up. Why, I was at the office the other day heard someone down the hall say "Americans are so fat that when they go to a restaurant, they just look at the menu and say 'okay,'" and I tell you: I got up and marched straight to them and informed them that the widespread impression of American obesity is a fallacy perpetrated by the irresponsible use of statistics, and that they ought to be ashamed of themselves, and what they said was totally and utterly wrong and hurtful to the feelings of hundreds of millions of proud, hard-working and, most importantly, svelte Americans!

Or, I was going to say that. But it turned out Tim from HR was in the hallway and getting past would've been a little complicated. He's from Oklahoma... you know how it is*.

(* DISCLAIMER: Okay, okay. It's possible that I'm messing with you just a little. I'm sorry, and for the record, I do not literally believe Americans are fatter than everyone else. It's just that over-the-top defensiveness makes it hard to resist tweaking you a little. Just think how much worse it could be: the Welsh have been listening to that same goddamned sheep joke for like eight hundred years.)

lol. That was awesome. The game must be good if their own employees are reviewing it
ALMOST kept a straight face.

JeanLuc761:

Zeetchmen:
Feel sorry for all the people that ended up buying the "RPG of the decade" ^o^

As someone who loves DA:O and DA2, I can confidently say you don't need to feel sorry for me ;)

this

i actaully enjoyed dragon age 2

this isnt my name:

Nocta-Aeterna:
Is there an elf, flirting with a sheep in the background?

*sigh* The dalish in this Game were Welsh, Irish and Scottish, its a Welsh joke. (I get tired of the Welsh jokes, atleast have somthing to back up the things, like Americas obesity problem. The Ssheep joke shouldnt even exist.)

However I found this amusing all of BWs recent PR fails in one image.

Most jokes in the vein are now tired stereotypes that only have the barest justification for their existence. Just take comfort in the fact that whoever is telling the joke, even if its in a really ironic way, usually ends up looking like a much bigger fool than whoever the target of their joke was.

Worr Monger:

Celtic_Kerr:

JeanLuc761:

F...Fourthed?
DA2 kicked ass. I hope DA3 is closer in gameplay to DA2, than to DA1 and its clunky combat system.

I mean, here's the thing. I didn't really like the combat system in DAO, but you know what? I didn't throw a big hissy fit over it. I enjoyed the game for what it was, and got past my issues with it.
Haters need to get past the issues they have with DA2, instead of hating one thing about it, and then coming up with excuses to hate every other thing about it.

OT: Funny comic, though. Not as good as CAD ones.

Worr Monger:

Celtic_Kerr:

JeanLuc761:

And then there are the people like myself who have valid criticisms of the game, so we sort of fall in the middle category between to extremes of fanboyism: ignoring flaws, or drowning in them.

I want more people like me, I've been spending too much time on the Bioware Social Network that I am getting sick of all the trolls and delusional fanboys.

This isn't really directed at you, just know that there is more than two ways of looking at Dragon Age 2.

Ajna:

this isnt my name:

It's funny, because I have this crazy feeling you haven't even been to America, so you only have news outlets to rely on for the "obesity problem".

The definition for obesity used in the US is based entirely on weight-height ratio. Not body fat percentage, or anything reasonable. Most bodybuilders are considered "obese" under the US definition. Even though people like to talk about how "One fourth of Americans are obese", I'm sitting in a room of 40 people, and not a one of them looks in the least bit fat.

I'm about to start raging here, so I'll cut this off.

Watch the documentary "Fat Head". It explains the whole "obesity epidemic" far better than I ever could.

it's funny because i have this funny feeling you haven't been to wales so you only have idiots on the internet to rely on for "sheep shagging"

but dude seriously he was making a point that if your gunna stereotype someone you can also be stereotyped.

OT: T'is a shame whats happening with DA2 the demo was fun and it looked good but all this shit thats piling up about it is working against its favour.

Ajna:

this isnt my name:

It's funny, because I have this crazy feeling you haven't even been to America, so you only have news outlets to rely on for the "obesity problem".

The definition for obesity used in the US is based entirely on weight-height ratio. Not body fat percentage, or anything reasonable. Most bodybuilders are considered "obese" under the US definition. Even though people like to talk about how "One fourth of Americans are obese", I'm sitting in a room of 40 people, and not a one of them looks in the least bit fat.

I'm about to start raging here, so I'll cut this off.

Watch the documentary "Fat Head". It explains the whole "obesity epidemic" far better than I ever could.

While folks might not be fat I'd be careful to never understate just how bad the western diet is. We do terrible things to our bodies (well most Americans do).

Gildan Bladeborn:
Hmm. I'll admit, the PR fiascos that I've witnessed so far have been wryly amusing to me, but in terms of negative impact to the actual product? Origins had some massive bugs right out of the gate, including a fairly substantial memory leak that eventually extended load times between zones so much that you could brew and drink an entire pot of coffee before the zone would finish loading, plus the usual slew of random crashes to desktop. Dragon Age 2 on the other hand has crashed all of 3 times in the I've lost track of just how many hours I've been playing that damn game but it's a lot that I've been playing it, and I'm not entirely sure that one of those instances was the fault of the program and not my computer itself. Apart from that, the only in-game glitches that I've encountered were:

1. A couple of times[1] the first line that an NPC delivers in a conversation didn't "trigger" somehow, and it jumped right to Hawke's response options.

2. One sidequest apparently completed but didn't leave my active quest list (the one with Fetch).

3. I think one conversation with Merrill in her home triggered too early, but I might be misinterpreting it.

From a coding standpoint I would definitely contend that Dragon Age II is a more solid initial product than Origins, that had all sorts of bugs, including real whoopers that rendered entirely playstyles ineffective. Still, the PR miss-steps are pretty darn hilarious.

I'm on upwards of 50 hours now, and I just had my first crash yesterday; right after I saved, so I lost pretty much nothing. I do remember DA:O crashing quite a bit

Yeah, the Fetch sidequest is bugged to still show up even after you beat it. And there is a bug for Merrill as well; I think if you're in a relationship with her, you might see that scene too early. I don't think it's every time, but it did happen to me on one of my playthroughs. You can read about both of them on the Wiki

Really, I don't get all the hate for this game. Probably just people's expectations being different from what they got when it wasn't exactly like Origins

[1] And by that I mean literally twice, once in a conversation with Bethany and once with Fenris.

dmcc85:
and i 'd rather play risen and risen2.

Funny, I'd rather get shot in the foot than play Risen again.

Jerusalem:
So I bought DA2. It's still in her shiny wrappers, since I decided to play the pirate version instead. And my life is better because of that. QED for the problems facing AAA industry, I guess. Sure doesn't make me feel like buying many games with what limited budget I have to use for entertainment. But I guess natural selection will eventually work these problems out.

What?

You bought DA2, but played a pirated version because you don't have enough money?

Wait, no, those are obviously unconnected.. but that makes less sense. How did it improve your life?

Undead Dragon King:
You make it sound as if the Metacritic "scandal" was an official BioWare initiative and not the singular effort of a DA2 developer praising his own game.

Two developers did it and EA then went on to defend the practice. "Of course the people who make the game vote for their own game," a senior PR manager said. "That's how it works in the Oscars, that's how it works in the Grammy's and why I'm betting that Barack Obama voted for himself in the last election."

You make it sound as if the vestiges of SecuROM on the game that no-one cried foul about until it was "exposed" by a single website is a game-breaking issue.

What annoys people is not that SecuROM is in the game (hey it's bullshit but at least it's not TAGES) but the fact that the developers and publishers stated quite clearly that it wouldn't be.

You make it sound like sucking at PR is a new concept for EA.

For EA? No. For Bioware? Yes.

Thank you for reading!

mireko:
It doesn't have SecuROM. Learn to use a computer.

EDIT: Allow me to expand upon this. When the game is installed, Sony Release Control distributes two files to the user's temp folder and deletes itself. The files in the temp folder are identified as SecuROM because they call on similar functions, but they are inactive. As in, they don't do anything. You can delete them and nothing will happen.

Reclaim your game seems to think otherwise.

Soviet Heavy:
And then there are the people like myself who have valid criticisms of the game, so we sort of fall in the middle category between to extremes of fanboyism: ignoring flaws, or drowning in them.

I want more people like me, I've been spending too much time on the Bioware Social Network that I am getting sick of all the trolls and delusional fanboys.

This isn't really directed at you, just know that there is more than two ways of looking at Dragon Age 2.

No need to get defensive. People can say they love a game and not mean that's completely perfect and flawless. Only the most delusional (or easily pleased) believe there are no flaws in DA2 (or any other game, for that matter), but the accusation of DA2 being 'dumbed down' is kind of stupid. To a certain extent, anyway (I don't like the companion armor system either).

That's where the problem lies in this discussion, I think. Somehow people have convinced themselves that BioWare used to make "hardcore" RPGs until right now, when everything suddenly became simplistic. In reality, they haven't made a "hardcore" RPG for about thirteen years[1]. A lot of the problems with DA2 were also present in DA:O[2], but nobody complained then because it didn't fit the narrative of a franchise being dumbed down for the console kiddies.

We just need to separate discussions of the merits and faults of BioWare's games from that of the unbelievably gullible and stupid culture that permeates the internet. Maybe say "I'M NOT A PART OF THIS AND THIS SUBCULTURE/BACKLASH" or something. I know it shouldn't be necessary. I know people should be able to read an argument without automatically assuming that the poster is picking a side, but that's not how it works. People are always picking a side.

TL;DR: Eh, deal with it.

[1] Which is fine, I hated having to rest every five minutes with my mage in BG.
[2] and Mass Effect, and Jade Empire, and KOTOR

Grey Carter:
What annoys people is not that SecuROM is in the game (hey it's bullshit but at least it's not TAGES) but the fact that the developers and publishers stated quite clearly that it wouldn't be.

I hate to be "that guy", but it still isn't SecuROM.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see you responded to my other post. Didn't get a notification.

BrunDeign:
A few things.

1. I could have swore that the people who posted those review scores were punished in some way, shape or form.

2. The problem with the inability to activate the game was resolved. It was because of a misunderstanding.

I have no idea what Securom even is though.

They were reprimanded, yes, and the problem with the banning was with ONE guy and a forum mod getting snarky.

Securom bit, i'm kinda ticked with the guy who made this over that. I've had absolutely no issues with this game, nor any securom data showing up anywhere on my computer.

As for my opinion on the game, it's worse than the original, but I still loved it. The only thing i'm annoyed with is that Bioware is now blizzard in terms of reactions. Every single mod's words is remembered and archived, every single mistake is a big catastrophe, and every single action is dissected and monitored after every release.

I actually found that the second I stopped looking at the bioware forums was the second in which I could stop overanalysing things and conclude that I had purchased a fun game that was worth what I paid.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here