The Escapist Presents: Dragon Age II: Party Profiles: Mage

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Dragon Age II: Party Profiles: Mage

Last but certainly not least, we bring you the mages of Dragon Age II.

Watch Video

I have enjoyed my mage play, and while I know I'm meant to feel bad and all about the whole blood magic thing, I cant help but smirk at casting healing spells with the blood magic talent activated. =D

Merrill is the most adorable compion in existence.

This is fact.

Wakefield:

This is fact.

I would agree, but halfway into act 3... let's just say I don't think so anymore.

She is great in the beginning tho!

Wakefield:

This is fact.

Agreed.

And I do enjoy smiting my enemies from afar with all three mages.

Merrill is wonderful, but I can't stand Anders, the angsty twat.

Varric is definately the best though.

Sarcastic Hawke + Varric = Best duo ever.

They play off each other's comments so well.

Although, I don't know why Merrill has a Welsh accent when all her Tribe speak with an Irish one.

i had one mission in dragon age 2

Bang isbella...Check

Bang Merrill...Check

my mission is complete

I love Merrill she's so great.

Also the whole robe thing is exactly why when I got the robes of the champion, I never took them off again.

Edit:

Daystar Clarion:

Yes, oh my god yes

Sober Thal:

Wakefield:

This is fact.

I would agree, but halfway into act 3... let's just say I don't think so anymore.

She is great in the beginning tho!

She never stoped being adorable for me. Every line of dialouge either made me laugh or go awwwww sometimes both.

Daystar Clarion:

Varric is definately the best though.

Sarcastic Hawke + Varric = Best duo ever.

They play off each other's comments so well.

i love Varric...but i enjoy anders

We where the best of magi friends in Awakening

I like Anders in Dragon Age 2, but I loved him in Origins.

By the way, the mage robes were ugly in Dragon Age Origins.

Wakefield:

This is fact.

Merrill is full of win that's for sure

Well, he certainly covered the most important part.

Namely Merrill being adorable.

Random Argument Man:

What? The mage robes in Origins were great. Well, the Tevinter ones were. The Circle robes did suck.

What about Bethany? I guess she doesn't get a special tree so it doesn't matter...

I went Primal and pretty much put all my points on magic and I just had such a big mana pool that it was ridiculous. When I got my almost full elemental tree with the primal I could solo pretty much anything on hard.
Most of the robes are kind of ugly.

ace_of_something:
What about Bethany? I guess she doesn't get a special tree so it doesn't matter...

perhaps because its rather easy to lose her for half the game(or the whole game if your a mage(in this case john is))

wasalp:

ace_of_something:

You might wanna put some spoiler tags around that.

Having just finished the game, my first runthrough was a male true neutral character, always stressing peace that by the end however had turned chaotic good. Why? He had a gay romance with Anders. Man what a mindfuck it turned out to be by the end. :D

And Merrill's story is great too, especially what happens to her keeper at the end of that. The cutest little demon summoner in existance, no doubt there. :)

People should really learn to use spoiler tags.

Will someone tell me if we still have combat tactics in this one?

HankMan:

Aye, the exact same as Origins.

For instance, since there are now cross class combos, you could make a slot like so.

Attack enemy: STAGGERED - Activate ability: Chain Lightning

That way, you can micromanage as much, or as little, as you want.

The Scythian:

Random Argument Man:

What? The mage robes in Origins were great. Well, the Tevinter ones were. The Circle robes did suck.

I'll agree that the Tevinter were acceptable. However, I never felt that the mage stuff looked like "Mage stuff". Most staff were walking sticks instead of "staffs". Still, mage were and still are badass.

I noticed that my Blood Magic tree is still there, too. Kind of amusing to make an Entropy/Creation Blood Mage. I heal, then CONTROL YOUR MIND!

Random Argument Man:

The Scythian:

Random Argument Man:

I'll agree that the Tevinter were acceptable. However, I never felt that the mage stuff looked like "Mage stuff". Most staff were walking sticks instead of "staffs". Still, mage were and still are badass.

The Dragon Age 2 staves are awesome. My current one features a morning star at the top of it. My previous had a spike on the bottom.

Daystar Clarion:

HankMan:

For instance, since there are now cross class combos, you could make a slot like so.

Thanks Man, that was my only reservation about getting this game. It was really useful in the first game.

Oh man I hated how Anders was in DA2. Albeit the change in personality made sense but now he's angsty and has an annoying "mages rock" attitude. As Isabela said "Have you ever tried letting things go?"

EDIT: Also, Merril is the official Tali'zorah of Dragon Age.

Wuggy:

By popularity perhaps, though tbh I'll wait to see that happen. But as far as it being just an archetype transplant they are REALLY not that alike. Tali is not nearly as naive as Merrill is.

Hmm, spirit bolt deals bonus damage to staggered foes, doesn't it? Not disoriented ones? I'll check later, but I'm pretty sure this was a mistake.

Loonerinoes:

Wuggy:

By popularity perhaps, though tbh I'll wait to see that happen. But as far as it being just an archetype transplant they are REALLY not that alike. Tali is not nearly as naive as Merrill is.

Well, sure. Their personalities differ, but you can't say that they are sort of alike. Both having a cute accent, coming from another world making them socially awkward and being amazed mundane things (less so in ME2 though). They have similar goals (Tali wants to help her fleet and Merrill wants to help her clan). And while you're true in the fact that Merrill is more naive than Tali, she used to be that way in ME1 when she was younger and less experienced.

Hmm

when I finally pick this game up (after exams)
I am thinking for my main party:
Hawke: warrior
Varric (awesome and sarcastic)
Anders (was hilarious in awakening and incredibly useful)
Fenris (cos who doesn't want to tear shit up with an elf thats half your size, wields a giant two handed sword and can eviscerate any enemy in your way?)

I will also model my Hawke after my shepard and endeavour to be the Charlie Sheen/Silvio Berlusconi/Peter Stringfellow/Hugh Hefner of the medieval fantasy realm and try engage in as much companion doodling as possible simply for the hell of it, also, to quote Steve and Larson: ALIEN BUTTPLAY!

Any better party suggestions? (combat party that is, not sheen style Winning party)

LGC Pominator:
Hmm

Fenris (cos who doesn't want to tear shit up with an elf thats half your size, wields a giant two handed sword and can eviscerate any enemy in your way?)

Any better party suggestions? (combat party that is, not sheen style Winning party)

As long as you'll play as a Tank - it's fine. If you want to be a damage dealer though, you may want to swap Fenris for Aveline. As much as it is fun to blast your enemies all the time, having someone to soak the damage for you is extremely important, especially on the higher difficulty levels. Fenris is not that much interesting character anyway, and while Aveline seems bland at first, she really grows a pair later on if she'll tag along with you. Shame she's so ugly, I didn't even bother romancing her.

Also be warned - Anders' personality is changed considerably from the one in Awakening. I still liked him though and even

. Plus, as an only healer besides Mage-Hawke, he's pretty much a must have considering that ridiculous cooldown on healing potions.

Yossarian1507:

LGC Pominator:
Hmm

As long as you'll play as a Tank - it's fine. If you want to be a damage dealer though, you may want to swap Fenris for Aveline. As much as it is fun to blast your enemies all the time, having someone to soak the damage for you is extremely important, especially on the higher difficulty levels. Fenris is not that much interesting character anyway, and while Aveline seems bland at first, she really grows a pair later on if she'll tag along with you. Shame she's so ugly, I didn't even bother romancing her.

Also be warned - Anders' personality is changed considerably from the one in Awakening. I still liked him though and even

. Plus, as an only healer besides Mage-Hawke, he's pretty much a must have considering that ridiculous cooldown on healing potions.

wait...

I am planning on tanking it (how I normally play RPGs TBH) and from what I have seen, Aveline doesn't seem to suit my playstyle, let alone she seems really annoying...
thanks for the info anyway!

LGC Pominator:
I am planning on tanking it (how I normally play RPGs TBH) and from what I have seen, Aveline doesn't seem to suit my playstyle, let alone she seems really annoying...
thanks for the info anyway!

I really like Aveline personally, she's a very moral, lawful character and she has plenty of good moments of her own (and a few outright adorable/hilarious ones).

HankMan:

Daystar Clarion:

HankMan:

Thanks Man, that was my only reservation about getting this game. It was really useful in the first game.

If you loved Origins you will be dissapointed in this.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)