The Escapist Presents: Dragon Age II: Party Profiles: Mage

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

the whole carver & merrill chatter is absolute gold.
Did I just miss another dirty thing?

Calibretto:
If you loved Origins you will be dissapointed in this.

Not true. I loved Origins and quite enjoyed DA II as well.

And I totally want to see a Tali/Merrill crossover comic.

What the? Three mages and Fenris? Can you really survive on hard mode playing like that (with no tank?)?

I'm sometimes reluctant to bring along Aveline, but it doesn't feel like I'd survive long with a rogue, and two mages.

i generally tend to run around with 3 mages and a rogue... all the fights are over fairly quickly...

antipunt:
What the? Three mages and Fenris? Can you really survive on hard mode playing like that (with no tank?)?

I'm sometimes reluctant to bring along Aveline, but it doesn't feel like I'd survive long with a rogue, and two mages.

I am guessing it is possible. I managed to beat hard with minimal issues with Two-handed warrior Hawke, Varric, Merril, and Anders as my party.

Occasionally I would mess up and Hawke would die and I would end up kiting with Merrill.

Three mages and Fenris seems perfectly reasonable.

LGC Pominator:
Any better party suggestions? (combat party that is, not sheen style Winning party)

You stay away from my lyrium.

Calibretto:

They're almost exactly the same (gameplay-wise, that is).

If you loved Origins and liked Mass Effect then you will probably love this.

900% damage is 10x not 9x. Not a biggy.

Oh wait. I take it back. Its 900% damage. Not 900% extra damage. So 9x is correct. Learn to read nonroker.

Calibretto:

Am i the only one who didnt like origins but really liked the sequel?

Heeeeeey, does Anders still have his kitten from awakening? This is an important question for the safety of the land!

Vinticore:
Heeeeeey, does Anders still have his kitten from awakening? This is an important question for the safety of the land!

He mentions this right at the start. Not to spoil too much but...those Grey Wardens were just mean to him. :(

Fieldy409:

Calibretto:

Am i the only one who didnt like origins but really liked the sequel?

nope. im in that boat as well.

Sober Thal:

Wakefield:
Merrill is the most adorable compion in existence.

This is fact.

I would agree, but halfway into act 3... let's just say I don't think so anymore.

She is great in the beginning tho!

I already had the feeling she's somewhat like Aerie from Baldur's Gate 2.

Merrill's the most adorable thing this side of a nest of kitten-puppy hybrids.

"Do you want something to eat or drink? I have..*puppy eyes*..water..."

Aveline has it right thoughg, she's also stupid.

Vinticore:

No. And his personality is changed too. He's no longer the cool cat we used to know, now he's trying to be the Che Guevara of mages. MAGES WILL BE FREE! REVOLUCION!

LordOfTheDance:

I am guessing it is possible. I managed to beat hard with minimal issues with Two-handed warrior Hawke, Varric, Merril, and Anders as my party.

Occasionally I would mess up and Hawke would die and I would end up kiting with Merrill.

Three mages and Fenris seems perfectly reasonable.

Actually, a viable tactic for nightmare is to have a two handed-warrior and the rest of the party ranged. What you do is that you kite and micromanage damage with the warrior while the rest of the party soak in damage. This also kind of minimizes the possibility for Friendly Fire.

I love how Anders has a tendancy to give Merrill shit for being a blood mage while being an abomination and it eventually turns into one of those rare moments where Merrill verbally owns him.

I was hoping for some advice on comboing skills with additional skills. I took arcane and primal then added telekenetic skills.

Mix that with tank Aveline Varric and third member either warrior or mage, seems to work out ok, plus I think Aveline and Varric are the most easy to judge when it comes to dialog options (Varric usually goes for money or good and Aveline whatever a noble thing would be). Other characters kind of seem too fickle and react weird to some options I choose even though it seemed ok.

In any case, thanks TH.

p.s. oh and I choose such a character that I am an old man with gray hair and beard, but then I go and kick butt almost always.

Here's pretty much Anders in a nutshell:

Should point out that if you play the mage then you get your brother as a character, who is a twerp. If you don't play as a mage you get your sister, who is way more tolerable.

castlewise:
Should point out that if you play the mage then you get your brother as a character, who is a twerp. If you don't play as a mage you get your sister, who is way more tolerable.

Oh God, I hated him so much. He was fun though when I sided with the Mages(muhahaha).

Daystar Clarion:
Merrill is wonderful, but I can't stand Anders, the angsty twat.

Varric is definately the best though.

Sarcastic Hawke + Varric = Best duo ever.

They play off each other's comments so well.

Although, I don't know why Merrill has a Welsh accent when all her Tribe speak with an Irish one.

Ooh, ooh, I know. I think, at least.

I liked Merrill as a character, but thought she would be useless at first. Couldn't have been more wrong. Primal FTW.

Anders I don't trust. He's a bit overzealous. Also, using a healer instead of a more active spellcaster didn't work out for me too well in Origins.

Anders used to be a fun character. I guess forcing him to become a Grey Warden in Awakening really shifted his personality for the worse.

I played through the majority of DA2 with a male Mage Mawke, Merril, Anders and Aveline. It wasn't very easy. Next time I do 3 mages I will diversify their spells and make sure to make as many AOE as you can.

GoldenShadow:
Anders used to be a fun character. I guess forcing him to become a Grey Warden in Awakening really shifted his personality for the worse.

Might have something to do with

Also, they made him get rid of Sir Pounce-a-lot.

WHY CAN'T I FLIRT WITH MERRILL?

Is there some special requirement?

I'm 1/3rd through Act 2, and haven't been able to flirt with Merrill.

Wuggy:

Actually, a viable tactic for nightmare is to have a two handed-warrior and the rest of the party ranged. What you do is that you kite and micromanage damage with the warrior while the rest of the party soak in damage. This also kind of minimizes the possibility for Friendly Fire.

Does friendly fire work's only in nightmare?

Onyx Oblivion:

Thats wierd, I flirt with her all the time.
Maby you need to get her to like you more.

I found it hilarious playing as a mage, when I saved random guard x or templar b they never mentioned that i was flinging spells around, same as when i had Anders or Merril with me on another class.

Will there be a special concerning the combo system?
I have some problems to get an overview and to sort that thing out.

Its always bothered me how most of the mages that are hiding from the Templars are dressed like mages, and or have mages staffs. I want to see a character that looks and acts like a professional warrior, as well as weals a big ass sword, but turns out to be a mage, that likes hitting thing with swords. Weapons like poleaxes could easily be staffs in disguise... grrr, maybe I just want my arkan warrior back, I don't know.

Woem:
I already had the feeling she's somewhat like Aerie from Baldur's Gate 2.

Hey, you're right!
I thought she reminded me of something, but I couldn't quite place it.
I still prefer Aerie, but not by much.
Merril is funnier though.

Dice Warwick:
Its always bothered me how most of the mages that are hiding from the Templars are dressed like mages, and or have mages staffs. I want to see a character that looks and acts like a professional warrior, as well as weals a big ass sword, but turns out to be a mage, that likes hitting thing with swords. Weapons like poleaxes could easily be staffs in disguise... grrr, maybe I just want my arkan warrior back, I don't know.

lol Yeah, I ended up having Anders with me for many of the times you meet Meredith. Anders, the supposedly deep under cover yet blatantly obvious mage in full apostate regalia, had no issues with meeting face to face with the leader of the people who were hunting him. Heck, even Isabella ran from meeting the Qunari. Meredith, for her part, would stand face to face with Anders and somehow not clue into the fact that a non-Circle wanted apostate mage was standing two feet away from her.

Sober Thal:

Wakefield:

This is fact.

I would agree, but halfway into act 3... let's just say I don't think so anymore.

She is becoming a demon I bet O: kill her now, must do it!

Dice Warwick:

Me too! It's the same problem that Assassin's Creed has. Hiding in plain sight only works when you are actually hiding, not running around town in MAGE'S ROBES with a MAGE STAFF. Replace robes and staff with ASSASSIN'S ROBES and the ASSASSIN'S SYMBOL on the front of your bloody shirt, and you have Assassin's Creed.

Onyx Oblivion:

What exact point are you at?

Wakefield:

Sober Thal:

Wakefield:

This is fact.

She never stoped being adorable for me. Every line of dialouge either made me laugh or go awwwww sometimes both.

I agree, the third act just added to her character depth, which is good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here