The Escapist Presents: Dragon Age II: Party Profiles: Mage

Pages PREV 1 2 3

hazabaza1:

Onyx Oblivion:
WHY CAN'T I FLIRT WITH MERRILL?

Is there some special requirement?

I'm 1/3rd through Act 2, and haven't been able to flirt with Merrill.

What exact point are you at?

Well, everyone does the quests in a different order, since DA2 is sidequest city...

So, it's hard to pinpoint. But I'm done most of the optional stuff (just need to take care of Anders problem), and finished the first quest in the "main" line of DA2.

Reading through all the whinage about Anders' change of character, I think what I found most gratifying about how his story ends was that...

That said...yep, that Monty Python link does quite summarise Anders nicely I think. :D Then again, I always thought King Arthur was a bit of a dick to begin with in that movie too so... ;)

Onyx Oblivion:

hazabaza1:

Onyx Oblivion:
WHY CAN'T I FLIRT WITH MERRILL?

Is there some special requirement?

I'm 1/3rd through Act 2, and haven't been able to flirt with Merrill.

What exact point are you at?

Well, everyone does the quests in a different order, since DA2 is sidequest city...

So, it's hard to pinpoint. But I'm done most of the optional stuff (just need to take care of Anders problem), and finished the first quest in the "main" line of DA2.

Well, I'm pretty sure that following the Feynriel side-quest enables romance with her. It did with me, at least.

Brainst0rm:

Dice Warwick:
Its always bothered me how most of the mages that are hiding from the Templars are dressed like mages, and or have mages staffs. I want to see a character that looks and acts like a professional warrior, as well as weals a big ass sword, but turns out to be a mage, that likes hitting thing with swords. Weapons like poleaxes could easily be staffs in disguise... grrr, maybe I just want my arkan warrior back, I don't know.

Me too! It's the same problem that Assassin's Creed has. Hiding in plain sight only works when you are actually hiding, not running around town in MAGE'S ROBES with a MAGE STAFF. Replace robes and staff with ASSASSIN'S ROBES and the ASSASSIN'S SYMBOL on the front of your bloody shirt, and you have Assassin's Creed.

At least rouges have outfits that look like the people around them. It would have been simple to have apostate mage outfits be just fancier variation of common cloths or armor, and mage staffs be hidden as canes or pole-arm weapons.

StriderShinryu:

Dice Warwick:
Its always bothered me how most of the mages that are hiding from the Templars are dressed like mages, and or have mages staffs. I want to see a character that looks and acts like a professional warrior, as well as weals a big ass sword, but turns out to be a mage, that likes hitting thing with swords. Weapons like poleaxes could easily be staffs in disguise... grrr, maybe I just want my arkan warrior back, I don't know.

lol Yeah, I ended up having Anders with me for many of the times you meet Meredith. Anders, the supposedly deep under cover yet blatantly obvious mage in full apostate regalia, had no issues with meeting face to face with the leader of the people who were hunting him. Heck, even Isabella ran from meeting the Qunari. Meredith, for her part, would stand face to face with Anders and somehow not clue into the fact that a non-Circle wanted apostate mage was standing two feet away from her.

ya, even more when they make an odd comment that is related to them being an apostate.

I never bothered with crowd-control in Origins (except for the occasional War Cry from my Warrior-Champion Warden), but in DA2, I'm finding it essential for the tougher fights of Act 2 and 3. I rely heavily on Anders' Glyph of Paralysis to stop the second and third waves of foes for a few moments (since I'm playing rogue Hawke first time through).

And definitely set up your combat tactics for each character to exploit cross-class combos--they come in really handy as the fights get tougher.

if they had you trying to hide your magic so much of the game would have to be changed. Think about it, if you use a spell in front of a templar youd have to fight him, run, or use persuasion to get out of it. Every time! Imagine all the potentially ruined quests!

wasalp:

ace_of_something:
What about Bethany? I guess she doesn't get a special tree so it doesn't matter...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

antipunt:
What the? Three mages and Fenris? Can you really survive on hard mode playing like that (with no tank?)?

Yeah. Heck, I tried using a tank a lot and found it was hard just to keep the enemies on the tank at all. If you put a few extra points into other characters constitution and use crowd control and defensive spells well it's not too difficult. Heck, even Fenris makes a pretty good tank. Enemies seem to stick to him a lot anyway, just get the defensive upgrades in his tree and taunt and he's good to go.

Necromancer1991:
Here's pretty much Anders in a nutshell:

I lol'd.

I understand that they basically wanted Fenris and Anders to represent the two sides to the whole "Free the Mages" issue, but they went so over the top with it that it's ALL Anders talks about. Merril, on the other hand, is hands down my favorite character in the game. "Isabella said the next time we were here she would show me how to do something called...'bodyshots.'"

Please tell me Anders still has Sir Pouncealot...

I really hope that the person who made this video sees this post.

Firstly I would like to say that I'm a fan, of both your dragon age class breakdown videos, and the escapist itself. But you have done me wrong, sir. I'm EXTREMELY upset with you, and I feel that you not only need to be made aware of that fact, but also why.

Let me explain. I am a huge Dragon Age fanatic, so naturally I pre-ordered and scored myself a copy of the Signature Edition. But alas, I'm stuck completing my second year of university as a biology major. My xbox is at home, many miles away, with my little brother who is still in high school. I pre-ordered when this semester started, and the giddy delight of finally getting to play this game when I move back home is one of the things that has kept me going these past couple of months.

Now I bought Dragon Age: Origins about 4 months ago (a little late to the party, yes) because I was in need of a new game to fill up my off hours. Whilst doing some research to see if it would be a suitable game for me, the 3 most important plot points were spoiled for me, simply because I read a review. I feel that maybe this tainted the playing experience for me, because the immersion was ruined. Playing the game turned into a scavenger hunt for clues as to when this event that I was previously made aware of was going to happen. Instead of engaging me in the story and urging me to play for just one more hour before bed, plot points became just another stepping stone. Foreshadowing became trite, and the misdirection the story tellers used to try and keep me guessing, only served to confuse me.

Nevertheless I enjoyed the game a lot and was very excited for Dragon Age 2. I have actively been avoiding any sort of review or commentary on it for fear that something would get spoiled for me again. I wanted to go in tabula rasa; experience the game like a new born thrust into the world.

I played the demo, and I thought it gave me just what I needed to know, like how the combat system had changed and how the plot related to the one in Dragon Age: Origins. It also told me minor things about the plot, but didn't give me enough context to fully understand them. I thought it was very well done, and was thankful that BioWare was respecting my decision to ostrich until I was finally able to play the game.

Visiting the official Dragon Age 2 website dashed all hopes I had about keeping myself ignorant. It tells you all about Anders and his relationship with Justice. I was outraged! This is such an interesting twist on two very interesting characters that I was already totally engrossed with. To say the least, I was pretty pissed, but the game hadn't come out yet, so it was my fault for not thinking I needed to have my guard up.

Then the game came out and I was doing really well. I was avoiding any website that would have a review posted on it, staying away from any video game related forums, and I made sure that any music or video I watched on youtube had no connection to BioWare whatsoever. Things were going great.

Now I have a month left of school before I can go home and FINALLY indulge in my long awaited prize. I decided (BAD IDEA APPARENTLY) to visit the escapist. I saw you had posted videos explaining the combat strategy behind each player class and a break down on how to best utilize each player to your advantage. Thinking this would be extremely useful, as well as improve the enjoyability of the game, I decided to test out your videos. I watched the one you posted on Rogues first, with my finger on the little x on my browser, ready for the first sign of trouble. I was pleasantly surprised: you were very informative. I watched the video on Warriors after that, and while I was disgruntled about your segment on Fenris, you didn't reveal too much about him, and I was able to get over it pretty fast." No harm done, chum," I thought to myself.

Then I watched your Mage video, which I saved for last because I plan on my first (and therefore most important) play through to play as a Mage, and I was absolutely FLABBERGHASTED. Thanks a lot. Can I ask? Was it necessary to explain Merrill's backstory with the Dalish? What did it add to your video besides padding out the time length? Did I need to know about her involvement with blood magic and her tumultuous relationship with her clan in order to understand her "Dalish Pariah" capabilities? NO I DID NOT, SIR. I thought you were supposed to be talking about strategy, not plot. You tricked me, and I fell for it because I trusted you.

So now my tabula rasa, my blank slate, has a smudge on it. The light at the end of the dark and soul crushing tunnel that has been this past semester of school is a little less bright, thanks to you. I hope you feel my hatred. What I saw in your video cannot be unseen, and I hope you find this post just as unseeable. Jerk.

PinkAngelKitty:
snip

We tried to be pretty straight forward about the intent of these videos as a means to introduce each class and talk about its associated party members. We even discussed what we thought might be saying too much and compared that to the Dragon Age site, for instance Anders and Justice.

I will say that perhaps taken out of context what we said about Merril might seem to be big late game reveals, but that's not the case. What we presented was no more spoiling than talking about what the other characters motivations are. I can quite assure you there is a lot more to Merril than what was said.

Slycne:

PinkAngelKitty:
snip

I can quite assure you there is a lot more to Merril than what was said.

Well now there is slightly less, isn't there?

Since posting that I have... erm... calmed down I guess. I really did like the videos and I thought they were really well done, but is it too much to ask for more liberal use of some spoiler warning tags?

Dice Warwick:

Brainst0rm:

Dice Warwick:

Me too! It's the same problem that Assassin's Creed has. Hiding in plain sight only works when you are actually hiding, not running around town in MAGE'S ROBES with a MAGE STAFF. Replace robes and staff with ASSASSIN'S ROBES and the ASSASSIN'S SYMBOL on the front of your bloody shirt, and you have Assassin's Creed.

At least rouges have outfits that look like the people around them. It would have been simple to have apostate mage outfits be just fancier variation of common cloths or armor, and mage staffs be hidden as canes or pole-arm weapons.

Well. There IS a staff that is a polearm. Magister's Scythe from The Black Emporium dlc, its a battleaxe-type polearm.

Gotta say I disagree with how you said to build Merril- build her as a dedicated blood mage and stock on up sustainables.

It almost feels like cheating when you use her built like that.

Daystar Clarion:
Merrill is wonderful, but I can't stand Anders, the angsty twat.

Varric is definately the best though.

Sarcastic Hawke + Varric = Best duo ever.

They play off each other's comments so well.

Although, I don't know why Merrill has a Welsh accent when all her Tribe speak with an Irish one.

How the hell can you like Merril, the little "cutsie klutz" character? She's annoying and I wish I could stab her in her eyesockets. Preferable I wish Anders could do it. He got the balls for such a thing.

Realitycrash:

Daystar Clarion:

Although, I don't know why Merrill has a Welsh accent when all her Tribe speak with an Irish one.

How the hell can you like Merril, the little "cutsie klutz" character? She's annoying and I wish I could stab her in her eyesockets. Preferable I wish Anders could do it. He got the balls for such a thing.

Opinion =/= fact.

I suggest you learn that quickly, to prevent future incidents of looking silly.

Daystar Clarion:

Realitycrash:

Daystar Clarion:

Opinion =/= fact.

I never claimed anything was a fact. He stated his opinion, I stated mine. Mine is that "cutsie" characters must die.

Realitycrash:

Daystar Clarion:

Realitycrash:

Opinion =/= fact.

I never claimed anything was a fact. He stated his opinion, I stated mine. Mine is that "cutsie" characters must die.

Then state that. You don't need to quote someone and ask them 'how can you stand X?'

Daystar Clarion:

Realitycrash:

Daystar Clarion:

Opinion =/= fact.

Then state that. You don't need to quote someone and ask them 'how can you stand X?'

Because he dissed' my favorite character, so I wanted to make an input. Chill.

I just wanted to pop in and say I really enjoyed your work.
Also I loved your aside at the end with, "It's just a stick"

Dice Warwick:

Brainst0rm:

Dice Warwick:

rogues have terrible hats though.

Wow, they make the Mage class look fun AND badass. I wish more mage classes were like this in MMORPGs.

I still believe that Origins sounds better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here