Aliens in America

Aliens in America

MovieBob interviews Simon Pegg and Nick Frost from Paul.

Read Full Article

Three hours after the review, wow.

Still, good.

This is on the list of movies to make sure I don't miss when they come to my area. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are such awesome guys.

"In addition to Wiig, they were also glad to get to work with a cast of American stars like Seth Rogen (the voice of Paul)"

Seth Rogen was born in Vancouver. Unless you are using the term to describe someone from North America then you fudgied up.

Been a fan of their work since SPACED, their enthusiasm for all aspects of nerd culture has always been the main reason I still continue to love their work. I actually had a moment to talk to Simon at the MCM Expo before Hot Fuzz was released. I can't really remember exactly what was said (it was mostly about SPACED and the first time I saw him on T.V. in a cough syrup ad) but I remember him being pretty down-to-earth and a nerd just like everyone else there.

Correction corner: Spaced was a Channel 4 show, produced by LWT (now absorbed into ITV Productions) and what was then the Paramount Comedy Channel (which is now known as Comedy Central). I have the box set, I should know these things.

(UK folks: If you haven't seen Spaced, it's all on YouTube. US folks: you've got Hulu, stop whinging.)

Awesome interview :) this is the kind of journalism that I enjoy. Well done Mr.Bob

Just because you're in a position to make films and hang out with Seth Rogen, doesn't mean you don't still get a weird feeling when you hear a TIE-Fighter screaming down the trench. It's in you.

- Nick Frost, on being filmmakers and film fans

Man just thinking about made chills go up my spine. Glad you guys enjoyed your stay over here :)

I don't think Frost actually went to Vancouver for the Land of the Dead shoot, pretty sure it was just Pegg and Wright.

Saulkar:
"In addition to Wiig, they were also glad to get to work with a cast of American stars like Seth Rogen (the voice of Paul)"

Seth Rogen was born in Vancouver. Unless you are using the term to describe someone from North America then you fudgied up.

Despite that Rogen was born outside the US, his success and fame as an actor is the result of his work with American cinema. The way Bob has it written here, "American" is an adjective to describe the word "stars," so either the stars are Americans themselves, or they are stars of American culture/audiences. So I think there's indeed a certain legitimacy to calling him an "American star."

N3Burgener:

Saulkar:

Despite that Rogen was born outside the US, his success and fame as an actor is the result of his work with American cinema. The way Bob has it written here, "American" is an adjective to describe the word "stars," so either the stars are Americans themselves, or they are stars of American culture/audiences. So I think there's indeed a certain legitimacy to calling him an "American star."

I'll role with that.

I'm pretty sure Spaced was made by Channel 4 and not the BBC. You're 100% right about Pegg being really funny in real life, I had the pleasure of meeting Simon Pegg at a book signing for his autobiography Nerd Do Well, which I suggest you read as it is really funny and about a quarter of it consists of a fictional tale of Simon Pegg as a playboy superhero with a robotic butler Canterbury, and I was joking with him about Spaced and he was making terrible puns to the people in front of me about the snow in Scotland at the time, really nice person.

This interview just made me want to go back and watch SPACED again.
Hooray for 40d/Youtube!

My girlfriend lived in England for about half her life, and she had much the same to say about the influence of American Pop-culture. Always interested me, though it sort of makes me wish I lived in England, so I could watch my American shows and The Mighty Boosh.

Shaun of the Dead is my favorite movie of all time. You can bet I'll be seeing this on Tuesday when the movie tickets are cheap.

N3Burgener:

Saulkar:

Just noting, by your definition, Christian Bale and Anna Paquin would be "American" stars.

Delusibeta:
Correction corner: Spaced was a Channel 4 show, produced by LWT (now absorbed into ITV Productions)

Spot on!

Though dedicated Anglophiles likely discovered their revitalized take on the otherwise-waning subgenre of pop-referential nerd/slacker comedy in the Channel4 sitcom Spaced,

I'm one of these heh. Saw SPACED one night on the television when I was younger, really enjoyed it as it was something I could really get into, the humour was spot on, it referenced a hell of a lot of things I love [the 3rd Episode of the first season is epic, has a full on Resident Evil 2 parody, and I've been a fan of Resi since day one hehe], the cast are brilliant, and it's in my top 5 of best TV series' ever!

Hey, Shaun you got some brown on you... on your nose!

Wow, any more sucking up to America and they might become governor of California before the next collaboration with Edgar Wright.

As for Paul... well, I don't go to see a slacker comedy wanting to be preached to. Seriously, I avoid blatantly religious cinema for the same reason, and just because I agree with you, doesn't mean I want it in my entertainment. It's the reason I won't see this at cinema

Also:

work with a cast of American stars like Seth Rogen (the voice of Paul)

I'm pretty sure he's Canadian

yeah it wasn't a BBC show, i'm just saying. but yeah great interview.

They are the guys behind Hot Fuzz? Sold me on the movie!

WaderiAAA:
They are the guys behind Hot Fuzz? Sold me on the movie!

Some of them. The director of that, Edgar Wright isn't present (presumably directing Scott Pilgrim), but apparently Pegg and Frost wrote and produced it.

Delusibeta:
Correction corner: Spaced was a Channel 4 show, produced by LWT (now absorbed into ITV Productions) and what was then the Paramount Comedy Channel (which is now known as Comedy Central). I have the box set, I should know these things.

(UK folks: If you haven't seen Spaced, it's all on YouTube. US folks: you've got Hulu, stop whinging.)

Why is it all americans think that every british tv show is made by the bbc? a couple of weeks ago it was prime suspect. this was the first thing that i noticed about the article and it prevented me from reading further.

Delusibeta:

That's true but it was shown on BBC America in the US, hence the confusion. The same is true for more recent Channel 4 programmes like The Inbetweeners, which also mistakenly gets labelled as being from the BBC for the same reason.

I want to see this on YouTube or something

Delusibeta:

What about us Canadian folks? I've been meaning to see Spaced, so what's MY option?

Delusibeta:

And Canadians are snubbed by both; Not much angers me more than that fucking "Content Not Available in your country" virtual stonewall...

Just two more blatant bits of promotion for Pegg and Frost, they both had parts in two seperate but wonderful sketch shows, that US audiences might not know so well - Pegg in 'Big Train' and Frost in 'ManStrokeWoman'

Pegg

Frost:

Love these guys so much.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook