Critical Miss: Erin Hawke: Explorer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The caves are essentially copy-pasted from Oblivion. Whooooooop.

Selvec:
I know they said streamlined, but this was utterly ridiculous. It might make sense if after some years the places where re-occupied, but bloody hell, there was only 4 damned maps for interior encounters.

Nah, there were at least five or six. :p

But, seriously, it is hilarious because it's true. I still love the game's writing, which is weird, since I've hated their writing pretty much universally these last few years.

Daystar Clarion:
As much as I like DA2, it reeks of laziness. They didn't even try to make the maps look at least a little varied.

At least the dialogue is varied enough. It's like they spent all the dev time on the character scripts and about 10 minutes on the maps.

I do get that feeling too re: the maps - though I do love the game so far for its dialog and story, its maps make me sigh.

SpiderJerusalem:

Selvec:
I know they said streamlined, but this was utterly ridiculous. It might make sense if after some years the places where re-occupied, but bloody hell, there was only 4 damned maps for interior encounters.

Which sounds about the same for Dragon Age: Origins, to be honest. It's not like that was a feast of variety, either.

I've just played both back to back in the last month. Origins really was pretty good for using fresh locations. There were only a couple of copy pasted locations, out of a selection of hundreds. In DA2, there are about 5-6 in total. And just filled with either Spiders/Thugs/Mages/Templars. And then you have to go do them about 7 times each for some pointless side quests which rarely add up to anything.
It was Lazy. It was rushed. It was Dragon Age 2.

To be fair, it looks like they moved the staircase a bit for the abandoned mine.
EDIT: Wait a minute, it's just a flipped image. In other news, this series is brilliant.

I kind of enjoyed my first play through and was excited to start another class on a harder difficulty, but only about an hour into it I can't seem to continue. These cookie cutter environments and NPC spawns puts a truly literal feeling of been there done that.

Heh, this was one of my biggest complaints about this game. It's just lazy. I mean, they really couldn't have made a few more maps? The worst was the one that just went backwards.

P.S. 100th post!

Reminds me of the oblivion caves/dungeons/forts etc.

All of them made by one guy.

TheEvilCheese:

At least they had different layouts...

Irridium:

TheEvilCheese:

At least they had different layouts...

Somewhat, but there were a fair few areas copied from cave to cave. And you get really confused when rooms are almost impossible to distinguish from the eighteen almost identical ones you've been through in the last hour.

Don't get me wrong, I liked oblivion but the fact that there are more people doing the dungeon layouts in skyrim is great news.

Truth be told, there was a lot of cookie-cutting in Mass Effect, although a lot of the maps where ships, which can be explained by mass production and stuff. I'm going to agree with this comic unlike the other one, it's pretty damn preposterous.

On the other hand...

ajofflight:
The caves are essentially copy-pasted from Oblivion. Whooooooop.

Whuh...what?

Mangue Surfer:

Ciler:
Reminds me of Mass Effect 1 where 95% of the interior locations were the same 2-3 maps.

The exteriors are worse.
There's a planet with blue mountains and blue sky, a planet with green montains and blue sky, other with blue montains and green sky...

True, but at least in Mass Effect the exterior areas were large and varied enough that it wasn't painfully obvious that they were just reskins. And at least they were actually reskinned.

I love Dragon Age 2, it's one of the few games I've managed to be able to play through more than once, however the sheer lack of any variety in the maps is just painful. Once you have finished Act 1, you have seen -every- single different map there is, and for the next two acts you simply revisit the same dozen maps that are supposed to be vastly different locations.

Anyone else play the game and find it kind of weird that a certain elf squatting in a certain mansion left corpses strewn around in corners for roughly 6 years? Gods, that would smell terrible.

Not that I want to sound like I'm nitpicking, but why is a warrior Hawke wearing Mage champion armor?

Eh. Caught on whether or not I should actually get it.

Does your carried-over saved game from DA1 and Awakening etc actually make that much of an impact on the game?

Couldn't have said (drawn) this better myself :) . Also, the Kirkwall areas look mostly the same too.
It's a pitty, I loved the various areas from Origins.

You are so wrong, its the best RPG of the decade !

No hamster in second panel.

Bleh. One of the many reasons I sold the game back to the store for half the price 4 days after I bought it. I used the money to get Homefront.

I still think I got the better end of the deal.

took me a while there...

I kept looking back and forth thinking "hey the last panel used a reverse of the bg. is that a purposeful mista-OH"

oddly, I figured this one out much faster when someone posted it on my FB, so my brain isn't completely slow today

As a fan of DA2.. this was pretty funny.

Would be one of my biggest complaints. Bioware has reused maps in the past, usually sparingly enough that it didn't bother me.

They went a little too far this time. Hopefully they'll learn.

Excellent combat gameplay, but otherwise the game feels rushed, and the recycled maps are just one more evidence of that.

Eh, people will love DA:2 after it stops being trendy to hate it.

Not to be difficult, but this doesn't appear to be Name Game, despite what the home page says.

And apparently I now write Name Game. Does this mean I now get paid twice as much?

Daystar Clarion:
As much as I like DA2, it reeks of laziness. They didn't even try to make the maps look at least a little varied.

Have to agree with that.

Frankly, it was a bit of a disappointment all around. There are things I like about the new combat system, but the fact that they did away with the finishers pisses me off so damn much. I feel like they're trying to mimic Mass Effect 2, and in doing so they gave up everything that made Dragon Age unique.

Still a good game. Just not nearly as good as the usual Bioware affair.

Grey Carter:
And apparently I now write Name Game. Does this mean I now get paid twice as much?

Just noticed that! Was all excited for an early Name Game and then I got sad when I clicked the link :(. Not that your comic isn't hilarious though :P!

There is something to be said about the same map over and over again.

"But wait its a new map because the DOORWAY IS BLOCKED! YEah!"

:3

The other part is that sure it was kind of a cool concept to have you stay in the same place seeing how kirkwall slowly changed( your last years lowtown looks a little more prosperous.) But everywhere else, Wounded Coast, Sundermount. All. Looked. The Same.

What I would have liked to see is more NPC fights that is when you wander around at night its not just you vs the 100 mooks that decided to walk around that night but rather, small patrols of guards in sensitive areas like around the chantry and such that would be there.

Oh God,this. A thousand times, this. I hate that bloody cave, for there is only one.

Selvec:

I had a chance to talk to one of the devs during pax'10, and one point he raised was pointed out for Origins environments; all the areas were vastly diverse, and they looked stunning, and memorable. But they felt as though they came from different games, different styles, and different themes. I disagreed with that statement personally, but the team wanted to go with a more focused view of the land, so we get a feel for the region Hawk occupies.

That said, it is lazy design to stamp out the same ol' same ol'.

Well the reason all of the environments are copy and pasted is because they got really good technology so they could make lots of side quests so they had to choose out of making maps and good designs for each side quest but have lots less side quests or have copy and pasted dungeons and caves but lots of side quests.

It's still sort of their fault for having that oversight but apparently they promise not to overlook that again.

Personally I think they should find some super new amazing Rpg engine (similarish to the Hero engine used for SWTOR but less silly looking) and have it so once you've made the designs and stuff it's very easy to just place all the stuff down, you pretty much click a few buttons just to place plants and trees in an area, it's fucking amazing and it's going to make SWTOR a really big game.

I was counting the days till someone made this comic.

The copypasta maps is pretty much the only issue I have with the game though. Other than that I think it's better than the original.

Irridium:
The areas were streamlined. Today's market just can't handle multiple areas with different layouts, it confuses and scares them. So now the levels are all the same, meaning nobody will have to think or be bored exploring anymore.

Thats probably not what happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

"Dumbing it down" is such an overused explanation for everything. It's either used as a way to hand-wave things you disagree with, or a poor excuse for why something sucks. In this case, it's more likely just developers not paying attention to the fact that we're running through the same cavern for the fifteenth time.

I saw someone complain that the DA2 art style was dumbed down, and I had absolutely no clue what they meant. How do you "dumb down" an art style, short of replacing everything with stick figures? Whatever. It's just that whenever I hear someone imply that games (or anything else) are made crappy and stupid to appeal to a larger audience I generally roll my eyes. It's such a snobby, elitist attitude. Making something simple and stupid doesn't guarantee that it will be more popular at all.

Stevepinto3:

Irridium:
The areas were streamlined. Today's market just can't handle multiple areas with different layouts, it confuses and scares them. So now the levels are all the same, meaning nobody will have to think or be bored exploring anymore.

"Dumbing it down" is such an overused explanation for everything. It's either used as a way to hand-wave things you disagree with, or a poor excuse for why something sucks. In this case, it's more likely just developers not paying attention to the fact that we're running through the same cavern for the fifteenth time.

I saw someone complain that the DA2 art style was dumbed down, and I had absolutely no clue what they meant. How do you "dumb down" an art style, short of replacing everything with stick figures? Whatever. It's just that whenever I hear someone imply that games (or anything else) are made crappy and stupid to appeal to a larger audience I generally roll my eyes. It's such a snobby, elitist attitude. Making something simple and stupid doesn't guarantee that it will be more popular at all.

I... it was just a joke :/

Irridium:

Stevepinto3:

Irridium:

I... it was just a joke :/

I invoke Troll's Law. It's impossible to tell the difference between someone joking and seriously being an idiot on the internet.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here