The Big Picture: Off the Charts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Ehm, they did make a Mario Movie. Didn't see it, but I did see the Nostalgia Critic's review and yeah, it blows. Then there's Zelda. Now, I love the Zelda games that I played, mostly Ocarina of Time. It's well polished and immersive. But if I just take the story, well, it's pretty simple and cliche isn't it? Pure Hero fights completely depraved villain to protect the princess, travels to differnent locations to collect the magic artifacts, then a showdown.... I think you need to be very talented at worldbuilding to pull of a decent movie with that. And I'm not sure how serious I could take a life-action actor wearing Link's costume. Final Fantasy would be much better I think. Even though the stories and world have gotten increasingly bizar and filled with plot holes, the basis of a decent movie are there. Too bad when they did try to make a movie they threw every fantasy-part of the story out, made it a Sci Fi movie on a post-apocalyptic earth.... Really, it had less to do with Final Fantasy than the Uncharted movie sounds like it will with the Uncharted movie.

I think that's been one of the main problems with game movies. They choose games based on what's popular, not on what could make a decent movie. A Doom movie? Doom3's story was piss-poor by Video-game standards! It did well because of the groundbreaking techincal visuals at the time, and that's not something that the movie is going to be able to emulate. Breathtaking and original set design, yes that could work, but not a generic Aliens-style corridor that's just rendered very pretty. Farcry: Almost the same thing, I think it would have be poor even if it wasn't Uwe Boll directing the thing. Another problem is choosing games that were essentially 'popular movie X but in game form' like Resident Evil. Yeah, what do you think you get when you translate a Zombie-movie-game back to a movie? (It could be worse. They could make a Left 4 Dead movie.)

I suppose MGS could work (MGS4 is one of the few games where, if you wanted to make a movie based on the cutscenes, you'd actually have to condense the cutscenes instead of padding them.) Warcraft 3 could also work. Bioshock... maybe. The plot twist was briliant and the world was interesting to explore. Doubt that's enough for an entire movie though, but a good scriptwriter and director could probably find something to add. Haven't played enough of Mass effect or Dragon Age to judge those. Perhaps a real Final Fantasy movie.... Can't think of many others ATM.

Bob has two settings he goes into.

* Objective Bob: Bob is neutral enough on the subject to remain objective. He tends be more articulate and may be points out a thing or two that's interesting or you might not have known about said subject. These tend be his better reviews.Then we have....

* Fanboy Bob: Bob is either too deeply enthralled with said subject to make any meaningful options worth hearing(aka anything dealing with nintendo.) or has so much vemon for a subject he can't bring up anything that's not purely opinion or interesting.(anything dealing with Michael Bay, a FPS or a FPS created by Michael Bay starting Dane Cook and Tyler Perry will be what Bob faces when he goes to hell.) He tends to annoy you, and most of what he says is often very contradicting to his previous work.I grow tired of the second flavor. I suppose he does just to stir the hornets nest for hits ,but it's lame either way. This to me is the true anti-thinker.

- List of points-

- In case of this video the only valid point I'd agree is Hollywood willfully wizs all over whatever they like as often as they like. They re equal opportunity offender.

- Enough with the Baytred already Bob. I get you don't like Bay or the new transformers films but saying someone is a D bag is not a compelling way changing anyones mind on the matter. I hate District 9 with the burning fury of a 1000 suns but I don't feel need mention it every time I state my opinion.(Good sci fi can fanastic elements but the people have to feel real. It completely fails there as people ignore real world logic in order to hamfist an obvious point down our throats other series have done better.) You've beaten this dead horse to death and done a lousy job at dismantling the merits. You take every window spell vemon even before the movie came out in the Terminator Salvation review you were already waiting to bash a movie you hadn't even seen. You're last guy who needs tell people to give a movie fair judgment to wait till when you ve seen it.

Ultimately your complaints just sound like this... http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_FOREVER .Transformers has been reinvented more times than Madonna. You don't like the current line up, just wait for the season to change. Go look into Kiss players(way to go Japan.) and tell me Bay has still made the worst version of transformers to date. http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kiss_Players_%28franchise%29

- What makes for a good movie and a good game are two completely different things. Most movies don't have enough action scenes to even fill up 2 hours of gameplay and most games don't have enough plot to make for a very compelling film. Each medium has different strengths, and it's foolish to assume what works in one will surely succeed in another. Unfortunately most movie based games or game based movies are simply cheap tie ins and think they can get by simply cashing in on a IP. Regardless if they actually have anything to do with their source material or not when its done. It's a poor compromise no one is usually happy with.

- Why does the west get flank for story telling? When did the east become this pinacle of video game story telling that it doesn't get thrown under the bus too? It sure as heck isn't Nintendo as they literally retell same story over and over every single game for majority of their series. Ultimately there's a mixed bag on both sides of the pond like anything else.

- Mario Bros has no story to speak of. I'm not sure how you can claim it would make a great film when there's even less characterization than the freaking Master chief you love to harp on so much. Halo has more story bob. HALO!! Someone would have to invent a story to make it go anywhere...which is basically what happened durng the last outing. next...

- Metal Gear Series: What an incoherent mess. I'm not sure what drugs Hideo was on when he came up with the story, but it doesn't make any sense. Especially after the first game. There's alot of talking and cutscenes but very little sense made during most of it. The gameplay is entertaining but that hardly makes for a good story.

- Castlevania: There's been plenty of vampire movies, I mean the original game was basically an excuse to slap every single monster movie creature into same game. It's taking a movie idea running it thru the filter of gaming and then running it back thru filter of movies.

- Metroid: there's potential tell a good story, but would definitely require them fleshing out Samus...not the way Other M did either.

- Zelda:it's your typical fantasy epic. No reason it couldn't be on par with anything else Hollywood has made in the same vein. There's nothing particularly special about this universe that makes any cooler other than it's medevil fantasty with zanier creature.

- Ultimately I could care less about Uncharted being made into a movie. It seemed like Metal gear in fact it already kind of was like a movie.I probably will ignore it who ever is or isn't directing it. Wasn't a game I played yet, but I intent to since I bought a PS3 few months back. I doubt if I had I'd be having much opinion on a movie being made on it. I have low expectations when it comes to game based movies. I dont see that changing in the foreseeable future. I welcome someone in hollywood to prove me wrong.

I totally agree with moviebob's premise here, but I think it misses the real problem that fans of the game have with the movie. From what I've seen the problem that most people who actually like and have played the uncharted games (myself included) have with the upcoming uncharted movie has to do with casting rather than story. I recognize that, because of the differences in the two medias, adapting the game straight into a movie would, like moviebob said, amount to a third-rate knockoff of national treasure. So the main problem that I have found most fans of the game complaining about is the coice of Mark Wahlberg as Nathan Drake. I mean, seriously? What role has Wahlberg ever played that would indicate he could play an Indiana Jones-esque character? I really don't get Hollywood's fascination for Wahlberg, imo he's a second-rate actor who I would never say was 'excellent' in any role, let alone the type of character that Drake is.

Alot of fans want Nathan Fillion for the role, but that was always a pipe dream really. There are plenty of actors who would be a much better fit than Wahlberg (and are not as old) like Bradley Cooper, or Chris Pine to name a couple. Honestly I would pretty much rather have ANYONE play Drake besides Marky Mark.

I just don't understand why they must make a "real" movie, when the in-game graphics are so good. why not become the first one too make a whole movie with real game graphics?

sorry bob, but theres not a Big Picture on this episode... you should have posted it as a Escape to the Movies episode

*ps; agree with everything youve said

I really can't agree with Bob on this one, I don't even like uncharted all that much (360 player here) but there is always a good story to pull out of a game like that, and if you are dealing with someone else's IP the least one could do is to stick to the plot that was established, or at least read the wikia (uncharted.wikia) page first to get some semblance of similarity to the game that the movie is based on.
There was no mention of the casting issues also which has been a big issue for gamers, however I think the biggest shot to the knees that gamers recieved with bad casting choices comes from the Kane and Lynch movie, Lynch - a psychotic hillbilly - played by jamie foxx, I know the racial differences was handwaved in an earlier episode, but when dealing with a character like lynch, his appearance and personality is a HUGE part of the game, getting anyone other than paul giamatti to play him is doing a huge disservice to fans.

In short, hollywood can suck it, I am tired of their attempts to get cash out of gamers by putting a familiar name on their product, then destroying the mythology of it.

Hum... I've just watched the video, and can't help thinking that perhaps moviebob hasn't seen the extra credits point of view about video games adaptations on cinema. To me the bigger part of the problem, with Films adapted from video games, is that they don't get the relationship the player has with the game (as in the way he plays it).
So when moviebob said out right that he didn't play the game and was just guessing the quality of the game by... I don't know what experience I was kind of shocked.
I think that for someone who calls his show the "big picture" its a bit tunnel visioned.

I think Uncharted is a huge step down from Amy Henning's earlier Legacy of Kain work (easily the best Video Game story I've seen) but I don't see what you consider douchey about Drake.

Macrobstar:
ARGH, FFS Bob stop making me hate you, uncharteds story was good i agree, but when you put in "for a western developer" seriously? WHAT PLAnET ARE YOU ON, Bioshock, Dragon age, mass effect, Red dead redemption

Okay that's twice I've heard this so I have to ask with zero sarcasm: Red Dead Redemtion is a great story? Sorry I've just been tempted to buy this game before but I don't know much about it and a great story would put it on the "buy" list for me. I was about to buy it once and then my friend called it "Grand Theft Horse." uh, no thanks.

Also can someone tell me why people are not optimistic about the Green Lantern movie, and since it's as a friend said "Inevitable right, since they're making a movie" why can't I find out anything about the game?

As for Uncharted and the Great Gatsby I'll probably give em' both a miss. Just not my thing. It's nothing against the director or game.

mikev7.0:

Macrobstar:
ARGH, FFS Bob stop making me hate you, uncharteds story was good i agree, but when you put in "for a western developer" seriously? WHAT PLAnET ARE YOU ON, Bioshock, Dragon age, mass effect, Red dead redemption

Okay that's twice I've heard this so I have to ask with zero sarcasm: Red Dead Redemtion is a great story? Sorry I've just been tempted to buy this game before but I don't know much about it and a great story would put it on the "buy" list for me. I was about to buy it once and then my friend called it "Grand Theft Horse." uh, no thanks.

Also can someone tell me why people are not optimistic about the Green Lantern movie, and since it's as a friend said "Inevitable right, since they're making a movie" why can't I find out anything about the game?

As for Uncharted and the Great Gatsby I'll probably give em' both a miss. Just not my thing. It's nothing against the director or game.

Well whether the storys great is opionated, but it did make me cry at the end and the characters are incredibly well characterised all of them have great personalities, the main protaganist and some of the supporting characters are incredibly likeable and the dialogue is really well written

Macrobstar:

mikev7.0:

Macrobstar:

Well whether the storys great is opionated, but it did make me cry at the end and the characters are incredibly well characterised all of them have great personalities, the main protaganist and some of the supporting characters are incredibly likeable and the dialogue is really well written

Wow that sounds like a game I would really like. Okay Macrobstar I'll give it a shot. (Well probably several but you get the idea.) Likeable characters are one of my favorite parts of games.

As for the Green Lantern movie I think a movie adaptation of the Emerald Dawn story would be perfect. It's the best I can hope for other than the writers bringing in the corps or the JLA (I know keep dreaming....) but at least a cameo from John, Guy, Clark, or for the love of God Ollie would be very appropriate.

Come to think of it that would be a great idea for Kevin Smith's next opus: Quiver: the movie. Great now if Moviebob the Gameoverthinker really reads this I just got him all excited and terrified simultaneously.

Traun:

danpascooch:

I'm not even going to argue with your fact-like statement that it was "bad", or bother to talk about Winter Voices (which I've never even heard of), but I'll present another amazing Bioware game. Knights of The Old Republic 1. If you think that has a bad story you meet legal criteria to be committed.

Yes, because a game needs 50 million USD in advertisement to be good. I won't argue about KOTOR though, it had a good story.

Absolutely not, I'm just saying that if it was the epitome of Western Storytelling in videogames I should definitely have heard of it.

Good games travel whether or not they have a high advertising budget, just look at Minecraft, it's become absolutely viral without a dime.

The main point is that Russell's pitch is nothing like the source material. "Uncharte"d is about a wise cracking, arrogant jewel thief who is out to get whatever fabled treasure is up for grabs, but upon further examination of said treasure has discovered that it is in fact dangerous and potentially a weapon of mass destruction. Main bullet point: Nathan Drake is a thief, or better put, criminal who begrudgingly becomes a hero. Russell's pitch is about some guy who works with his dad and uncle, who are some sort of freelance police for Museum Curators. So all his doing is that he came up with some original (I use the term loosely) idea and has slapped an already successful game franchise on to it so as it will be approved. That would be like if I made up some film idea about some Elven Warrior that must travel to slay a Demon Queen because she took his wife hostage, but to get it off the ground I slap "Lord of the Rings" on to it. It's the same genre, but completely different from the original source material I'm claiming to use. It's just plain wrong!

Haven't the time to read 11 pages of conversation, so if someone has already made the points I'm making sorry.

Put broadly, I don't think games and movies should really be mixing. A game, by definition, is an interactive experience, whereas a movie is not. It's easier to get my meaning across with an example- think of a Rubik's Cube. Nobody's going to pay money to watch someone else play with a Rubik's Cube for 2 hours, but people will spend 2 hours trying to solve a cube themselves. Point being, the fun in games comes from the interactivity, the feeling of accomplishment. Yes, I agree Zelda has a fantastic mythology and all that, but discovering it for yourself and working out the puzzles and defeating the bosses is so much more satisfying when YOU do it, as opposed to watching someone else do it. I don't understand why people want game movies so badly. "Hmm, I really like this game, but I'm sure it'd be even better if I wasn't actually playing it, but instead watching it happen without any input from me." Or, if you prefer- What'd be more amazing, being able to say you watched a house get built, or you building the house yourself with your own hands? Why can't games be games and movies be movies?

Another point worth noting- how many good movie games are there? I'm sure it's about the same amount of good game movies there are.

gphjr14:
More than likely it'll be along the lines of National Treasure hopefully without Nicolas Cage's horrible acting.
If you own a PS3 and haven't at least played Uncharted 2, I'd recommend it. It earned its title of game of the year in 09.

It only got GOTY cuz it didn't have any competition. Personally, i would have given it to Assassin's Creed 2 which was a much better game. Better story, better free-running/platforming, better action, better puzzles, same voice actor...

As for Bob's argument that MGS has a good story..HA! i have never seen a more convoluted, repetitive, unrealistically over-the-top-yet-underwhelming story in a game. Except for maybe in some Final Fantasy games. Japanese game-stories are being given way too much credit here. Yeah, some of them are great fun to play and that makes the story worth following, but come on...lets face it: there might be 5-10 great stories in all of gaming, and just as many of them come from the west as the east. I think we're about to see another one from Rockstar in a couple of months.

Personally I'd be more excited about perhaps a Mass effect film. directed by Ridley Scott or David Fincher. or a Fallout film Directed by Peter Jackson. Although, this could be good provided the script has a bit more going on than the game scripts. The games are a great ride I loved every minute of it but I'm pretty sure if you watched the cut scenes stitched together they'd make for a pretty generic experience.

Man...I heart huckabees was one of the best movies of all time. Perhaps it will be a good movie....(uncharted)

I still think the endeavors into Video Game Movies are pointless and still a bad idea.

Why would you want a movie of Uncharted? Or even of Mario- which Bob thinks has potential to be a great movie? How..exactly? It's the same problem with people comparing VG movies with adapting novels or comics, when it's an entirely different beast altogether. There will never be the same kind of immersion and connected feeling from actually playing a game.

There are apparently plans to make Half Life and even Mass Effect movies.. why? I understand that potential to make money there, but I don't understand the fans wanting to actually make some kind of great, moving film about their favorite game- you already have the game. Especially in the sense of Mass Effect, why would I want to experience Mass Effect all over again, but 95% shorter a condensed story and likely far less fleshed out characters. Add in being unable to play through moments I remember fondly and it just sounds horrible.

The whole point of making video game movies just seems like a futile attempt to somehow validate a medium that does not need to pander to an older entertainment medium for validation.

Spydiggity:

gphjr14:
More than likely it'll be along the lines of National Treasure hopefully without Nicolas Cage's horrible acting.
If you own a PS3 and haven't at least played Uncharted 2, I'd recommend it. It earned its title of game of the year in 09.

It only got GOTY cuz it didn't have any competition. Personally, i would have given it to Assassin's Creed 2 which was a much better game. Better story, better free-running/platforming, better action, better puzzles, same voice actor...

Personally I enjoyed the platforming and movements of U2 in comparison to the parkour of Assassin's Creed. They tried to break the pace with buying stuff and rebuilding a villa but it was essentially the same as 1. My favorite part was the finding of the Assassin's tombs, though it would've been need if you could some how use their weapons after you found them. Although ACII story was better, the overall experience of of U2 appealed more to me. Again these are just my opinions.

I must remember to have sympathy for ol' Bob in the future, as I realize talk about the movies will always take second place on this website. Think PC gaming is dead, Bob? I got news for you: the movies are also dead; why do you think so many movies are out in 3D these days? People are starting to see that they can interact with a medium like video games, while watching a movie is, well, doing nothing.
So, why make a movie based on a videogame? It's painfully obvious, isn't it?
Try not to be mad at me, Bob; I still think you're a genius.

I like how he says it. I wish he could have said his 2 cents about the Silent Hill movie. Though i didn't like it as a game movie i enjoyed it as a Movie in itself.

Bob, the problem I have with your point if view is that you don't believe gameplay be translated into movie-language; if making videogame-based movie means only to have same visuals (and narrative; maybe, as you said), then, I ask, why bother making one?

I think this is also the only reason movie studios don't give a crap about videogame adaptations. A good Uncharted movie, for instance, would not only sound and look like Uncharted, but also, and more importantly, feel like Uncharted - that's what fans are truely worried about.

This is the first time I considered turning off one of your videos before it was over, ever.

But there are plenty of good movies that have been made out of games:

Crazy Taxi = Taxi Driver

Team Fortress = The Osterman Weekend

Bioshock = The Fountainhead

Super Mario Brothers = Super Mario Brothers

And the list goes on and on.

Oh so if a game if WESTERN DEVELOPED then it's story telling is sub par as ooposed to the wonderfully beautiful cinematics and boobie anime chicks compelling characters?

"JRPG & the west" needs to be a psychology major...

Wait a second, so you are knocking Western game stories when it seems like quite a few Japanese games have been rehashing the same story for years. (I am looking at you Nintendo) Not saying all Japanese games are awful (They aren't) and I am not saying all Western games have awesome stories (Again, no) but could we try to reduce the generalizations and general levels of bile for western based games? Maybe I am reading into this too much, probably am.

OT: Except for my little nitpick I found this episode to be pretty good.

I loved Uncharted 1 & 2. They're Indiana Jones (the good ones) in game form. To a certain extent it's pointless making an Uncharted movie because it's so movie like you're either restricted to one-to-one recreation or a completely different vision. But two things made me doubt Russel T Davies.
1. He immediately suggested Mark Wahlberg. I like Mark Wahlberg, and clearly Russell does too. But I don't see him fitting in the Uncharted world. If he used him it's clearly because he always uses Marky Mark, and NOT because he was the perfect actor for the role.
2. The uncharted fanbase that crossed over with Firefly clearly spawned the Nathan Fillion suggestion. I like Nathan Fillion. And it's uncanny how close his usual characters and acting style is almost identical to Nathan Drake. Then again that doesn't mean he's perfect either. Still you'd think 30,000 people supporting him with an internet peitition should draw at the very least attract the attention of someone connected to the film, say the director. When approached by a Nathan Fillion fan Russell T Davies had no idea who Nathan Fillion was. This tells me he clearly is interested in making a film, with Mark Wahlberg, and has no interest in the Uncharted "universe" or the fans they're hoping to market to.

So I'm waiting for the third strike to give up any hope that the movie would have anything to do with the game.

Do remember Indiana Jones himself was kind of a dick, so really the difference with Drake (andI havent played a single Uncharted game) would be the time paradigm...

Have to agree with Bob this round. If there really were a faithful adaptation of Uncharted, it would come off like a crappy b-movie Indiana Jones ripoff at best. Because like he said, Uncharted is pretty much a modern Indiana Jones, only with a douchebag (good call on the Dane Cook pic, btw). The story is chliched, the dialogue is cheesy and predictable, the characters are all pretty damn shallow. There is nothing outstanding about any of it when put in the context of film. Hell, I don't even think the story in Uncharted is great relative to other games. I never understood what everyone was fapping about with it. Yes, it is a very polished well-produced game and it is a ton of fun to play. Greatest story ever told? I think not.

So while I think it's stupid that the name "Uncharted" may have been purchased for movie rights simply for marketing purposes and no intention of being faithful to the game's story, worse things could happen.

Congress ussica

I think you're right Bob. This has the potential to be a good adaptation. We'll see if that pans out. It certainly has a good director.

why does everyone think dane cook is a douchebag? I think of much bigger douchebags that are unreasonably popular. Daniel Tosh for example. He is not funny, i've watched his stuff and i have been stone faced or annoyed face. the only smile i had during his routine is when i got so bored i played solitaire on my computer and i started out with three aces. And maybe it's just cause i really liked waiting and therefore everyone in it and i think his live show stage setup is awesome, but could we please pick on someone else for being a douchebag, cause frankly, i've heard Dane Cook is pretty decent in real life.

The Great Gatsby in 3D...I had not heard of this. That's disgusting. I miss when 3D was just an event. Not this...shitstorm. I'm not a fan of the book (nor the older movie) but I do appreciate the important contribution it made to Western literary history and culture so I don't appreciate Hollywood stomping all over it like this by trying to get in on this 3D "phenomenon".

If you're ever interested, get the PS2 for LittleBigPlanet. It's great :)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here