The Big Picture: Off the Charts

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Brian Hendershot:

joebear15:

Brian Hendershot:

Or he(joebear15) could be attempting to stop engaging in a conversation with a guy that won't stop pissing all over his opinions for no good reason like some sort demonic twelve year old troll on 4chan.

thank you

No problem man. That dude is trollin so hard, he can't see the bridge he is living under.

The funny thing is hes doing nothing but arguing about semantic's and ignoring main point witch he will not address,witch is that the story in games in mostly lackluster and that the "good" stories we refer to would be about average in other mediums but are held to high praise BECAUSE they are good in a world of largely bad.

I would say more but then i would just start personally attacking him and i don't want to be dragged down to that level.

Flamma Man:

LittleChone:
"For a western developer," eh?

"Heavy Rain" was made by french developers. In France.

The rest are good though.

France is in Europe, which is still considered part the western world. It counts.

I'll let the Uncharted movie topic slide.

I'll let the Hollywood's stance discussion slide.

I'll let the "western-developed" argument slide.

BUT I've noticed one recurring thing in this thread and thus will say this: Heavy Rain had a BAD story. For something that was clearly trying to be a movie, on that basis it was derivative and incoherent with multiple plot holes and very erratic voice acting. Did I like the game, yes but to this day the notion that it's one of the best examples of story telling in games is... well, I wouldn't have much faith in the industry if it were the case.

i think you've resumed in your video, what i pretty much thought after reading the news of an Uncharted Movie, plus you forgot to mention Robert DeNiro !

tkioz:
He's Bob and He's a pretentious biased Nintendo/Japan loving douche that dresses up opinion as fact.

Answer to all his vids XD

Stabby Joe:

BUT I've noticed one recurring thing in this thread and thus will say this: Heavy Rain had a BAD story. For something that was clearly trying to be a movie, on that basis it was derivative and incoherent with multiple plot holes and very erratic voice acting. Did I like the game, yes but to this day the notion that it's one of the best examples of story telling in games is... well, I wouldn't have much faith in the industry if it were the case.

It's like you're trying to drench me in bad memories. Not that the experience was awful, but, that plot man....

Nobody

Kruxs:
Shouldn't a game's narrative stand on its own in the game? Do games really need films in order for them to make sense?

Nobody is going to make a feature length big budget actioneer "to make the game make sense."

One thing you be sure of... A movie based on Uncharted will be a movie that has nothing to do with the video game Uncharted. And that is a good thing.

..."for a western developer", REALLY Bob? Taking that, and you saying all the hate against Other M was just because people are racist against Japan has officially made it impossible for me to take you seriously when talking about games.

Luckily, I still mostly agree with you on movies and comics, and I agree with your movie-rants most of the time, especially the "Hollywood doesn't take ANYTHING seriously" bit. Too true.

I usually have some disagreements when Bob talks games, but I'll backseat those, because...

Uncharted? Reaaaally? I can't make myself give a fuck about the game uncharted, much less a movie uncharted. There are so many other games...Dragon Age, Bioshock (anything made by Bioware already has good story going for it), Metal Gear solid is almost a movie already, but Uncharted?

This is not the Video Game your looking for.

Now I'm worrying about the Green Lantern movie AGAIN. I had just gotten it, and how it is clearly trying to cash in on the popularity of Tony Stark's character archetype by changing Hal Jordan into him, out of my mind.

I thought that the great video game movie was already made. I think it was called "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World".

I don't understand why they don't just use the cinematics from the games and sell THAT as the movie?!

As for a decent game based movie... I think this is the closest we'll get.

lol so freaky, just today I was watching the filming for the new silent hill movie in my town, come home and this is the new episode 0.o

uncharted as a story was terrible but it was a fun game to play i cant see them being able to make a good movie out of it but then again they have taken good games and ruined them maybe they can take a bad one and turn it into somthing reasable

wishful thing on my part i think but hey gotta hope that they get it right one day

Zhukov:
Whoo boy.

You just had to throw in that "for a western developed video game" line didn't you?

I'm not even gonna touch that. Because if I did it would just consist of me yelling, "Bioshock!" over and over.

And now I've started touching that.

I'm outa here.

Don't forget Mass Effect.

Seriously, why did he say "for a western developed game? Is it because JRPGs are always so fresh and innovative? Lol, I know it's an opinion, but this is about as close to factually incorrect an opinion will ever be.

Zhukov:
Whoo boy.

You just had to throw in that "for a western developed video game" line didn't you?

I'm not even gonna touch that. Because if I did it would just consist of me yelling, "Bioshock!" over and over.

I'm outa here.

It does seem like Bob has quite a bit of anti-western prejudice when it comes to games.

Oops, I first-page-quoted. Chances are the comment I just quoted has been gone over and beaten to death several time already.

Oh well, I don't care.

BrownGaijin:
I thought that the great video game movie was already made. I think it was called "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World".

When you use a snarky passive aggressive tone it comes off as, well, just that. It doesn't strengthen your point, man.

themerrygambit:
I honestly don't see how any of those 4 "Yet to be made great gaming movies" could ever possibly be a good movie.

I'm gonna have to agree with Bob on this one, in theory...

Castelvania would just look like a Van Hellsing knock off

The legend of Zelda would look like "Legend" or "The never ending story". Maybe a good animated film but I don't think it would translate to actual film without looking like a hoaky 80s fantasy flick.

Mario Brothers? Again I don't buy it. Possibly an animated kids film but there really is hardly a strong story here and the personalities of all the characters are still 2 dimensional at best.

Metal Gear? Possibly but essentially this would be another navy seal movie or something along the lines of an 80s action hero movie... I'm not sure the mainstream audience is there for that anymore. It's possible a good script could come out of it but It's already been done better in other movies.

This post is getting pretty long, so I'll just summarize the rest. I completely agree with everything else you said...although Mass Effect would have the same challenge as a Metal Gear movie--working it into a movie-sized script. But, that didn't stop me from supporting the idea of a Metal Gear movie, so it still fits as a good example of a Western property that would work well, and so does Bioshock--although the twist mostly relies of the fact that it's a video game...but I just can't say no to steampunk Atlantis with genetically-engineered super powers backed up by a good plot :D

Edit: Post was even longer than I thought. Spoiler tagged most of my parts so anyone who's not interested in reading this (ie. everyone) won't have this stealing their entire screen.

I think from now on, i might just ignore whatever Bob has to say about video games, I still appreciate his views on films and comics but his video game tirades are so incredibly baseless that its hard to tell if its even the same person. I've seen a few Overthinker episodes that were intriguing to say the least, but his unfounded fanboyism towards nintendo and his callous disregard towards a game like Uncharted, make me seriously doubt his credentials as a critic. Of course, this might also explain why the Escapist didn't pick up his Overthinker show.

omegawyrm:
I thought it was agreed that Scott Pilgrim was the first great video game movie?

Funny that you mention that. As we were leaving the theater, the first thing I said to my brother is "It's a little sad that the first real video game movie wasn't based on a video game."

There might not be a general consensus, but I definitely agree with you.

I seriously don't understand why everyone seems to hate Nathan Drake. I like the guy, he's confident to a fault, lighthearted, and more real-feeling than a lot of other shooter protagonists.

Also, I hate to be that guy, but you really can't comment on a game's story if you admit you never finished either game. I'm not saying it's great literary achievement, but using a limited experience with the game as a springboard to attack all western developers is a little much for my taste.

But hey, you're MovieBob. Not GamerBob. I'll keep that in mind.

.... well i agree!

Wait... People played uncharted for story!?
Thats a big surprise to me.
The story wasn't bad but it wasn't good either.
But I sure did loved the visuals and the gameplay which unfortunately cannot be shown in a movie.

MovieBob:
Off the Charts

It's movie fans versus gaming fans in the battle over the Uncharted movie.

Watch Video

Two things:

1. Solid Snake is based of Snake Plisken from Escape from New York so there pretty much already HAS been an MGS movie.
2. Most people are pissed off about Mark Wahlberg stealing Nathan Fillion's role.

Kruxs:
Shouldn't a game's narrative stand on its own in the game? Do games really need films in order for them to make sense?

Seeing as just about every type of medium has had it's share of movie interpretations, I would say it's not that big a deal.

wait...did he imply that he thinks the mario brothers would make a good movie? because they already made that, and it blew...because mario doesnt have a story

danpascooch:

Zhukov:
Whoo boy.

I'm outa here.

Seriously, why did he say "for a western developed game? Is it because JRPGs are always so fresh and innovative? Lol, I know it's an opinion, but this is about as close to factually incorrect an opinion will ever be.

Mass Effect had a bad story. If you wanted to include a modern game with a good story you could have went with Winter Voices.
Anyway, he said it because he is starving for attention. If you haven't noticed Moviebob is the online equivalent of Fox News, go through all his videos on "The Big Picture" and you will realize that everything he says is for sensationalism and that he tries to spur some controversy, mostly because this is the only way he can lure viewers. As someone said it earlier:

tkioz:
He's Bob and He's a pretentious biased Nintendo/Japan loving douche that dresses up opinion as fact.

Currently, I'm just watching him for the ego-boost.

bmart008:
I was laughing that you were showing Mario as a good prospect for a movie. C'mon that's a joke, it's gotta be right? If you say that Uncharted doesn't have a good story you seriously have a hard on for those little plumbers.

Also, for someone who's never played the Uncharted games, just watched the cutscenes, you've probably missed out on 80% of the narrative, which really drives the story. It's amazing but that's what it does so well, by playing the game and hearing their dialog with each other during gameplay you become involved with them. Of course you wouldn't know that because you HAVEN'T PLAYED THEM!

Zelda would also be a horrible movie. Because once again there is no story. Jesus.

I'm usually not that upset about things like this but this just seemed ignorant.

moviebobs so biased he could make fox news blush. he makes good points every now and then but i watch him for entertainment value, i take very little of what he says seriously. the first time i really started to question him was when he was talking about games as art and seemed to imply that mario 3 was the strongest example of games as art. really, bob, really? he looks especially bad when you compare him with extra credits

battle LA is the shittest 3D game I had ever downloaded.
WTF? There is no chance of Mario ever having acceptable narrative.

For all those who are clamoring for Fillion to be Drake: Seriously, give it a rest. He's too old and fat to be Drake.

To clarify why a lot of people, that I have had discussions with, have issues with the movie adaptation is not because they are not ripping the story out and just using that. It is because they have basically taken everything out of uncharted that is uncharted. Granted the actual story plot of the uncharted games would probably not make the best movie but they could at least leave the characters alone and not completely change the back story and motivations of the character. I think one of my favorite parts of Nathan Drake is that he really does not care about saving treasures as much as he cares about making money and that he is not your standard National Treasure character/Indiana Jones Character. There is so many directions they could go with a character like this but alas they are changing him to be a family oriented belongs in a museum character which is about as far from Nathan Drake as you can get.

I will give you another example Doom the movie alot of gamers I know would probably have given 2 shits less about any other part of that movie as long as it had 2 main themes. Hell has broken broken loose and some guy is going to chop shoot and blow up everything in his way. After that they could have added any story they wanted to it and most gamers I know would probably not hate it as much as we did when we found out that all the sudden the gates of hell has been transformed into a virus.

In conclusion I really do not think videogame movies need to be a direct rip from the game but at least keep the main overarching plot points there. They are the main reason most people love a game they are also what most people will be looking for consciously or subconsciously when going to the movie. We are familiar with the character and have spent a good amount of time with them playing through a game. We know their mannerisms we know how they should probably act in certain situations. So leave those details alone and build a story on top of it. IN OTHER WORDS PLAY THE DARN GAMES IF YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A MOVIE ABOUT THEM get to know the characters get to know the world and what it is about and then build a story for that world if you have another story in mind with different motivations and characters great but do NOT use the game name just to use the game name. I AM LOOKING AT YOU FF:Spirits Within(which I thought was a decent movie but did not need or warrant the FF name)

As a avid movie goer, an freelance game writer, I would have to say it is very ignorant and displeasing for me to hear Bob open his month on this. And this is coming from someone who until now has agreed with everything you have posted.

Uncharted had better dialog then most movies out in the last couple of years, and not being able to explore the game or its 2nd then writing off its dialog, when can only be contextualized through game play, is not only dreadful but so unlike you Bob. I expect crap like that from Yahtzee, not from you.

Also saying that Nathen Drake is a douche shows that you miss allot of what actually is going on, and a character who is constantly being dicked over by others, while playing off his own adventurous greed and knowing what he must do to ether protect or prevent things form happening that have been set in to motion from his greed.

That is not even looking in to the character, this is all surface stuff.

I mean take it as you will, but i fell you missed a good opportunity to actually put together something more thought provoking.

I like that now Bob and Yahtzee hate Nathan Drake as a character. Indeed, a giant douchebag.

Nightv:

I find this comment to be odd, because many Japanese games have more unique elements to their narrative than American games. Let's be honest, most American games, in terms of narrative, are either copying Halo, Half Life, Balder's Gate, or Elder Scrolls. Japanese games, more often than not, are doing odd things that we can't necessarily process because of our cultural biases, thusly, we take all the different things they do and catagorise it as 'wierd asian shit' when in reality, that stuff is as different to them as 'Red Riding Hood' and 'Hansel and Gretel' is to us. To an outside, those stories look some kids in the woods doing wierd stuff with cookies that get tricked and killed at the end. But we know the subtle nuances that make them VERY different.

Most of the time, this bias comes from the idea that, because Final Fantasy 7 is so much like Final Fantasy 7 that they must be derivatives of each other, that this is somehow something that japanese video game companies do as a total design philosophy.

zelda2fanboy:

StriderShinryu:

The problem is that, regardless of how good/bad Russell's version of Uncharted is, nothing to do with Uncharted based on the available information. Fans of the series are not complaining because they think this Uncharted is going to be a bad movie, they're complaining because it has no connection to the IP it's supposedly based on. It's not an issue of quality, it's an issue of using a somewhat known name simply to get your movie green lit and secure extra unwarranted ticket sales.

And this is a "problem" because.... I'd rather have a good Uncharted movie that has nothing to do with the game, rather than have a faithful adaptation that's crappy.

So, let's say that Citizen Kane was instead called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. It would still be one of the great classic films and loved by almost everyone, but you don't think fans of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would have any right to be upset about it's content having nothing to do with TMNT? You don't see where the problem is?

Honestly, as far as Uncharted is concerned, I don't care about the film one bit. I played the games when they were called Tomb Raider and Drake had a much larger chest, and I watched the movies already when they were called Indiana Jones. Whether the Uncharted movie is any good or not doesn't make any difference. In fact, sure, if this new Uncharted that has very little/nothing to do with the games looks like a good movie I might go see it.. but I still think that fans of the Uncharted games have every right to be ticked off when a movie supposedly based off the game series is really just "borrowing" the name.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here