298: Ghosts of Juarez

Pages PREV 1 2

albino boo:

... Try explaining to this woman http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/centralamericaandthecaribbean/mexico/8077251/Mexican-student-takes-over-police-in-drug-war-town.html why a large American corporation should make an entertainment out of her attempt to bring basic law and order to where she lives...

Um. You're going to have a tough time explaining it to her... Marisol Valles Garcia attracted worldwide attention five months ago when she took over the job of Police Chief (when the article was written); a lot less attention was paid when she went missing earlier this month.

The horrors of real life have always and will always be far worse than the horrors of ANY fiction.

You know,I don't like this fact much,but if you legalize the drug then there is no war.

I played this game a little while ago along with two other Tom Clancy games. All of them uncomfortably mix silly juvenile sci-fi military power fantasies with real life silly juvenile military power fantasies.

All the references to the weapons and tanks were seemingly written by the Pentagon and were drooling over how powerful these new weapons are. My favorite description is boasting of gun's "ease of use." Um, pull the trigger? The tough guy dialogue and terrible rock music videos make the game seem like a recruitment for the military.

If utilizing the Mexican military was problematic, depicting U.S. troops on Mexican soil was toxic. Mexican feelings are still raw from two centuries of border conflict with the U.S., and even with violence spinning out of control, the idea of deploying U.S. combat troops is severely unpopular with the Mexican public. However, the U.S. is assisting the Mexican government in other ways, like providing training and technological upgrades for law enforcement, as well as sending U.S. soldiers to Mexico as trainers and advisors - fairly standard for U.S. anti-drug efforts in Latin America.

You know, for a country which has created such chaos that over one million Iraki got brought to their death beds, spammed napalm over Vietnam like there was no tomorrow, supported governments using chemical weapons in Middle East, nuked Japan twice and toppled perfectly governments across the globe, in Iran, South America and Africa, I find that their "efforts" in drug fighting most disappointing, to say the least, especially when you know that all it takes to drop the quite industrial production of drugs is to burn lands.
Oddly enough, there has never been as much drug shipping outside of Afghanistan as when the USA decided that there was a war to wage on tribemen while hunting some suppoedly douche hiding in caves *cough*.

Arbre:
[quote]If utilizing the Mexican military was problematic, depicting U.S. troops on Mexican soil was toxic. Mexican feelings are still raw from two centuries of border conflict with the U.S., and even with violence spinning out of control, the idea of deploying U.S. combat troops is severely unpopular with the Mexican public. However, the U.S. is assisting the Mexican government in other ways, like providing training and technological upgrades for law enforcement, as well as sending U.S. soldiers to Mexico as trainers and advisors - fairly standard for U.S. anti-drug efforts in Latin America.

Yeah sure, thats all rigth, thing is, having a member of an outside military force is anticontitutional: its illegal for anyone of the Mexican government to allow armed forces to exit the country (while theyre in service), or to allow foreign militaries in the country (armed, unarmed, as support, as allies, anyway, its anticonstitutional), besides, youre right: the first time we had your soldiers in our territory, you took half of it, second time you bombarded our main port, third time, thanks to your influences thousands of unarmed students where gunned down, so no, the game WAS kinda offensive to us (both of them).

Pseudonym2:
I played this game a little while ago along with two other Tom Clancy games. All of them uncomfortably mix silly juvenile sci-fi military power fantasies with real life silly juvenile military power fantasies.

All the references to the weapons and tanks were seemingly written by the Pentagon and were drooling over how powerful these new weapons are. My favorite description is boasting of guns "ease of use." Um, pull the trigger? The tough guy dialogue and terrible rock music videos make the game seem like a recruitment for the military.

The game is catering to the.. how do you people put it ? "Nascar watching, flag saluting Americans". And I guess it does a pretty good job at that through what you just said.

For me? I turn half the brain off, don`t think about the plot too much and manage to have fun.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here