Trailers: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer

Mary DeMarle demonstrates using combat, stealth, and exploration to complete an early level of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Watch Video

Sticky Slick:
I am unimpressed, are all console games this dull?

You're being ridiculous. For a small part of the first level it seems impressive. Were it a demo featuring augmentations and item management it would be a little more in depth - what exactly do you consider impressive?

I'm getting a big MGS feel from that; which is good, I suppose, since I like MGS. It's just not what I was expecting.

frago roc:

Sticky Slick:

You're being ridiculous. For a small part of the first level it seems impressive. Were it a demo featuring augmentations and item management it would be a little more in depth - what exactly do you consider impressive?

(don't feed the trolls) ;)

I like the fact that there's actually good head bobbing when moving, unlike 99% of games where either the character flies over everything or he moves so much you get sick...
I love the fact that you have alternate routes to finishing an objective, the more freedom the better. Still, the storyline is probably more linear.
I just hope they don't fuck up the PC side of the game like 99,99% of multi-platform games, oh how I hate console ports!!!!!

I feel rather unimpressed by those 'pillars'. Essentially the two examples there are 'use a gun' and 'move around behind cover'. That's hardly the revolutionary gameplay choice that the game has been boasting. The stealth was most similar to MGS, or perhaps Hitman, but again I feel like that was nothing special.

Actually feeling a little let down.

ZombieGenesis:
I feel rather unimpressed by those 'pillars'. Essentially the two examples there are 'use a gun' and 'move around behind cover'. That's hardly the revolutionary gameplay choice that the game has been boasting. The stealth was most similar to MGS, or perhaps Hitman, but again I feel like that was nothing special.

Every game can almost always be improved upon in some way. The fact that the game is marketed as revolutionary but never stands up to that claim, kind of remiinds me of every other product on any market as well as every politician and political party.

Hvati:

ZombieGenesis:

Every game can almost always be improved upon in some way. The fact that the game is marketed as revolutionary but never stands up to that claim, kind of remiinds me of every other product on any market as well as every politician and political party.

I don't much see "this sucks because everything sucks" as being a particuarly good defence for the game.
It has potential, but it needs a little more flexibility before that can actually become anything original. Perhaps the later features in the missions fix this, perhaps not.

What? AUGUST? Damn it, I thought it was going to be out in one or two months. Now the wait is really unbearable.

It looks promising, the question is if the game can keep this up during the whole game.

That was... unimpressive?
I expected more out of a Deus Ex game...
Oh well, it still looks good. Just not Deus Ex (1) Good.

For some reason, the player camera bothered me a lot.... The moving looked so outdated and unnatural. Maybe it's just a beta thing?

Looking pretty good, not stunning by any means, but then the original started off slow. Should be good, I look forward to it.

Looked "meh" from that. I've never played a Deus Ex game before, and I'll say that there's potential here, I'll need a lot more to go by than that.

I think the switch between 3rd person cover and 1st person is a bit jarring. I realise why they did it, but I don't really like it.

Also those graphics were completely uninspiring.

Well now I kinda want to buy the game just to go through the whole thing without killing someone.

I hope the game takes more thinking than that.

See the yellow box. Move the yellow box. Congratulations! You found a secret! You are so amazing! Have my babies!

Red barrels? Realy? I thought we stopped using those... Sigh. And all that bloom and glow. We'll see more examples of this but so far - meh.

Popido:

See the yellow box. Move the yellow box. Congratulations! You found a secret! You are so amazing! Have my babies!

ok
Im mean thats what I thought >.>
<.<
Still looks great though.

As someone who played and loved the first Deus Ex, I'm fairly impressed by this.

Looks like they've smoothed out a lot of the clunky parts (I will not miss needing to switch to a melee weapon and PRAY that I KO the guy in one hit, plus the third person cover looks handy as all hell, especially with no quicksave to abuse the heck out of.), and the game still looks damn hard (2 bullets take you down to half health, and you don't insta-regen it?! Sweet!).

For the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I think it's promising. Still gonna wait for more info/gameplay before I actually decide to pre-order it.

Popido:

To be fair, the first game's opening level was pretty dull too. At least now the question "do I go in the front or back or this easily breached first level facility?" is resolved in a matter of minutes, rather than asking you to dodge tons of easy patrols (to go in by the back), or having to go all the way across the map to get a key, and THEN bust in the front.

Nice, I can see a pretty cool game there but three things bothered me.

1) could they not have waited for a day when she didn't have a cold (or does she always talk through her nose)?

2) I hope she didn't directly design that level or that she's really bad at playing.
The 'stealthy option' was just as violent as the violent confrontation go. None lethal violence is still violence, how about distraction or just, you know, waiting?

3)The "I'm interactive" yellow overlay is truly horrid. But obviously that's just a dev-mode thingy that got switched off in the more recent builds, right?

Unrulyhandbag:
3)The "I'm interactive" yellow overlay is truly horrid. But obviously that's just a dev-mode thingy that got switched off in the more recent builds, right?

If they're smart, they'll make it possible to turn that off.

*crosses fingers that they're smart*

Looking good, I got an MGS feeling in that game for some reason, but it's not a bad thing, I like MGS gameplay style.
I may preorder this game, it's really looking good so far.

I think this looks pretty sweet... I'm looking forward to it

My thoughts:

A) looks like they belong to the Screed/Splinter Cell type of stealth - ie. wannabe-semi-stealth. Stealth is leaving no trace behind, including knocked down guards.

b) I really hope there isn't going to be any actual cover-based mechanics there. I hate it when I have to glue my backside to a convenient crate to do anything from behind that crate.

c) Why the heck are they highlighting stuff on the game? We're not stupid you know, and part of the fun in the first two games was time spent on finding and scouting various entrances. Highlighting them kind of defeats the purpose of a free approach to problem solving. Please let this be there simply for the illustrative purposes or at the very least something that can be turned off.

d) I seriously, seriously hope the guards aren't as idiotic as shown in this clip and simply stand around on the same spot with their eyes looking only at a specific spot on the opposite wall.

I am not impressed, but there is some small measure of hope that this isn't yet ruined beyond all sanity.

SakSak:
d) I seriously, seriously hope the guards aren't as idiotic as shown in this clip and simply stand around on the same spot with their eyes looking only at a specific spot on the opposite wall.

They're supposed to get pretty good, actually.

According to a hands-on preview that I read, the AI apparently mix up their patrols, and when they suspect you are there, they move in groups looking for you. And they can pin you down and flank.

....However they also apparently bugged out and lost the player when they went through a door. I'm hoping they fix that.

Auch, the first person is really hurting it for me. Don't think I'll buy it.

ZombieGenesis:

While the mechanics may be similar to other games i think their big 'revolutionary' point is that the game can be played however you want. yes games like MSG have identical controls/mechanics but often one method is given preference over another; there will be a mission that can only be won by stealth for example. Deus Ex (hopefully) lets you play the game in any way you want without penalising you, with each version giving you an entirely different mission.

OT: does look good, though some things seemed a little frayed around the edges (e.g. when interacting with things i would think they would have hands on screen) but as they have another 4 months to go i'm sure that will be ironed out.

one thing i hope is that you can turn off that gold outline that was on everything, might be useful but it looks awful.

frago roc:

Sticky Slick:

Granted, I may have been bland.

Graphics are standard at best, I was expecting a lot more.
Dragging the bodies reminds of the early versions of Hitman. Notice when he drags the body the hand hangs in the air and the whole body behaves like its made of paper. A pick up - over the shoulder, would've made things much more smoother for the same effect.
Controls look very jumpy, almost nausea inducing. Could be that Ive never played games on consoles so Im not used to it.
Takedowns are mechanic and unimaginative. It just lacks flow. Remember the Assassins Creed takedowns, they were a joy to watch.

Feel free not to respond, for I have been branded a troll.

Ya know...why not make usable objects ect extra shiny and not glowing orange?
I am not impressed this reminds me of bioshock and Fo3 a complete trainwrek that the nubs eat up.....

Hopefully the game becomes more challenging than this first level. A child could solve the roof entrance thing here.

I also hope that if you go full-out assault in the first part, that the guards could radio it in and then set the guards inside the warehouse on alert, that'd be really cool.

Jubbert:
Hopefully the game becomes more challenging than this first level. A child could solve the roof entrance thing here.

I also hope that if you go full-out assault in the first part, that the guards could radio it in and then set the guards inside the warehouse on alert, that'd be really cool.

I doubt that it'd be considered asking too much of any game to expect it to get more challenging than the very first level.

On the whole, looks like it has potential, if the game isn't due till August I imagine what we are viewing is probably just a beta build so I'll reserve final judgement until the game comes out. but if they do deliver as promised and allow you to solve every encounter the way you want to, I'll be picking this up. I love my stealth games without mandatory run and gun sections, or run and gun games without mandatory stealth sections, barring well done exceptions, of course.

That overlay is horrible. Also, why was that guy put on probation? He said exactly what I was thinking. That really didn't impress me in the slightest. "There may be a rooftop entrance mr player, keep an eye out" *que line of conveniently stacked crates, etc*

Edit:

Also, does anyone else find themselves constantly yelling at how she plays?

"That door is wire, why would you hide him there! They can see through it! You fool!". Granted, its all in good fun and I wouldn't do it to someone I don't know well, but damn, that door was made out of wire.

dogstile:
That overlay is horrible. Also, why was that guy put on probation? He said exactly what I was thinking. That really didn't impress me in the slightest. "There may be a rooftop entrance mr player, keep an eye out" *que line of conveniently stacked crates, etc*

It was because it was flame bait.

The game has warranted my attention now at least. Not saying i was impressed, i am just going to be bothered to look it up now.

I'll just quote myself from before...

Sacman:
I just watched a Deus Ex Human Revolution mission walk through and it looks lack luster at best... the combat system didn't sit right with me, the whole cover mechanic where it switches between third and first person wasn't smooth and I can see it breaking immersion... but the inherent lack of RPG elements that played into the game bothered me even more... it was an early mission though... but from the looks of it, it seems to be suffering from the same disease as Invisible War, known as missing the damn point...<.<

Hopefully all the yellow lines showing you where to go/what to do aren't in the final game.

There's no exploration or sense of discovery when the game hi-lights everything for you with a bit YOU CAN USE THIS! outline.

Let us discover things for ourselves.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or