Extra Punctuation: BAFTAs Are Bollocks

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

BAFTAs Are Bollocks

Yahtzee complains about which games won the British Academy of Film and Television Awards.

Read Full Article

In my opinion, all awards like these are bollocks, but I am really disappointed with the people who voted Blops as the game of the year... even the multiplayer of that game was a load of gimmicky unbalanced crap.

Must...resist....not...to....say....first....

EDIT: Holy fuck, I just noticed Blops got nominated for story. What. The. Fucking. Hell.

Yeah... I'd have to call foul on that last one too. No way was Call of Doody: Bullplops the best game of 2010.

On a different forum, I voted Halo: Reach, simply because it's keeping the tradition of split-screen multiplayer alive, without following the masses into the "Online or bust" deathpit.

Looking back, I'm leaning back towards Mass Effect 2, as it has a lot more willpower-longevity* AND doesn't sell out to the multiplayer crowd. Something that requires a very special game to do.

*If you've never heard of willpower-longevity, it's because I just made it up. It's essentially how long the average player will be willing to sit down and play the game, not just how long it is.

Thank you Yahtzee for calling out BlOps, the only award that game deserves is the "bottomless cow with a sign that screams 'milk me' award"

Black Ops? Fucking really?

I guess even if games get their own respectable awards, it's probably a little too optimistic to think it's going to be any more objective than movie awards.

I think the fact that BioShock 2 was nominated for a story award was conclusive proof that the BAFTA is a farce. I know gaming is a relatively young medium but for fucks sake, COD: Black Ops being nominated for ANYTHING?! Give the award to the fucking engine if you must, but don't pretend that Call of Duty had any major innovations since Modern Warfare was released years ago. I'll flat out state it, aside from a few indie developers and some trace modifications, there pretty much were no new games in 2010 at all, just expansion packs sold as sequels that dwindled in quality.

FIFA 11 got a best game nomination? Just what about the entire FIFA series makes it even remotely valid for that award?
At lest Mass Effect 2 ripped that award right out from under it.

Nice to see Heavy Rain and Brotherhood did well. Two games this year i enjoyed a bit more than others.

Capcom, as usual, got ignored again.

Yeah i thought black ops winning the last category was a crock of shit too

Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee

Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(

CoD:BlOps? What the fuck people?

I think it's about time we get rid of democracy. People simply don't know what's good for them... -_-

Before anyone comes to rip me in half for the last statement, I've just one thing to tell you: Hyperbole. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

It's a popular award. Think in terms of Voltaire: not everyone can reason, and of those than can, most choose not too. If 10% reason, and only half of those do, anything based on the popular is brought in to power by those that have no knowledge of what would be otherwise better for them.

Hooray for democracy.

How exactly does Black Ops get nominated for a story award? The COD games have had decreasingly worse story lines, and it wasn't that great to begin with.

I have to admit I feel a little bad cause I voted for Mass Effect 2 for the players choice awards, used the £5 voucher Game sent me to buy Red Dead Redemption, and then realised I should have probably voted for that.

Fun game.

heavy is indigo prophecy more or less though, so it wasn't groundbreaking or anything

Nomanslander:
Just Cause 2, Dead Rising 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent didn't score a single nomination....

-Yahtzee

Poor Yahtzee, finally realizing maybe his tastes aren't as refined as he thinks it is...=*(

what the hell are you talking about, do you think this is about refined taste, I bet your ass the nominees were the only games the BAFTA members played all year if they played any games. They are a bunch of well marketed heavy hitters.

I thought the idea of the BAFTAs was that it would only include British media. Not, you know, French-Canadian games. Or American games. That's why I'm confused there's no nomination for Fable III or whatever. Something British...

Canada has the same queen

Its things like this that really makes me wonder if a career in the games industry is the best choice for me...

I thought for a second that "You have to burn the rope" won Handheld.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/you-have-to-burn-the-rope

Favorite game in a long time.

The worst bafta for me was best multiplayer, need for speed? really?

I even enjoy codblops more than that and ass creed bro hood has awesome MP

Just Cause 2 gets a little tedious after a while. My favorite games for the past two years have been Batman and Red Dead. I know "compelling" is a very overused word, but even when the pacing of either of those games started to drag I felt something bringing back later. If the single player of something is strong enough I should want to see what happens next or what I'm up against.

I really do hope the Academy Awards never include video games, because its a film academy, not a video game academy. Let the video game people deal with our own awards.

the GAME award had a competition attached to it to win a HDTV and a bunch of games if the user's vote won the award. thats why Blops won as everyone thought "well blops is gonna win it anyway might as well follow the sheep for a free tv".

i was going to do that two but i didn't read the prize draw rules until after i voted ME2.

Their taste in games is almost as bad as Famitsu. Almost.
Luckily America has an award show dedicated entirely to games... It's better than nothing, right?

Is that last line in the Technical Achievement (the first category on the second page) from an episode of The Twilight Zone? I remember watching an episode where three astronauts come back and each one disappears, while only the surviving ones remember them. It ends with the last guy being in a room doing pretty much exactly that. And then he vanishes and no one remembers them.

Anyway, I'm glad that Alan Wake was in one of the categories, and I wish it had won. The more recognition the game gets, the more likely that I will get my sequel. You can't end the series like that Remedy. You just can't.

I can totally understand the public voting codblops the best game -- lot's of people play it and have fun with it. I don't really, but that's mostly got to do with the fact that I can't stay on a server for more than the first 9 minutes 59 seconds of a 10 minute match. I mean, there are other games that have more to say (or anything to say), better graphics, better style, better music, more interesting characters... the point I'm getting at here is that, at the end of the day, most people are still playing this one.

The thing that makes my face turn inside out from shock is the nominations it got for half the other awards. The story was a forgettable, confusing, poorly paced bucket of piss and conspiracy theorizing. And as I mentioned before, it wasn't particularly pretty or stylish -- I mean, the menus, HUDs, text blurbs, etc. were polished and neat (which is an under-appreciated feat, IMO), and I could be persuaded that some of the cinematography was decent, but it was not especially artistic. The art was flat, monotone, and amounted to nothing. And what the hell did they do to earn "technical innovation?" Last time I checked, they were doing the same damn thing they'd been doing for a few years, using virtually the same hardware, and the same engine with the same mechanics. What was innovative? The fucking dive mechanic? Having a zombie mode?

I don't understand why anyone is surprised about COD winning the populist vote? It's the best selling game ever from a best selling franchise (and we Brits are no more cultured than the rest of you, despite how we are often depicted in Hollywood movies, and despite my utter contempt for the absolute gutter filth that comprises most of the populous).

Largely agree with Yahtzee on the rest of them. Surprised that the multiplayer category wasn't mentioned, because I had a complete "WTF?" moment when I saw that Need for Speed won it.

umadbro?

But seriously..I get the feeling that awards exist just so we can have more stuff to disagree with.

P.S. The Oscars were bollocks too, but what can you do?

Except for..you know..not give a shit

P.S.S. You don't need to say "Yahtzee complains about something" in the title, you could just say "Yahtzee talks about something" and we'll get it :)

Where was Peace Walker in the portable bit? D:

AMNESIA should have won anything? Sorry Yahtzee, I agree with you about a lot of stuff, but I have to disagree on this. You're playing a character you don't care about, sent on a mission you don't care about, reading about other characters you don't care about. And don't even get me started on the "monster" - seriously, why did it have to be yet another veiny humanoid thing that wouldn't have looked out of place in a crappy "Doom" ripoff?

t_rexaur:
I have to admit I feel a little bad cause I voted for Mass Effect 2 for the players choice awards, used the £5 voucher Game sent me to buy Red Dead Redemption, and then realised I should have probably voted for that.

Fun game.

You couldn't have voted for RDR. Rockstar didn't put it forth for consideration in these awards, so it wasn't nominated for anything.

No Civilization 5?! ,_, Shame I say SHAME!

I will probably die never understanding why people get so fucking excited for Heavy Rain, but Best Story, Best Technical Achievement and Best Original Music? What.

Just, what.

I would expect them to you know, put British games into the BAFTAS

Heavy Rain had plot holes? This is news to me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here