Zero Punctuation: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Madara XIII:

Nincompoop:
If this review won't be positive, I will kill you O_O!
*watched*
Aw. But it's so cute, Yahtzee! That should render it immune to scrutiny by default!

That logic only applies to the fairy tale world!

I Loved Yahtzee's review of this. Seriously you really don't die!

WTF!?!?!

TEACH KIDS SOME FAILURE DAMMIT!! It's what inspired us older gamers to do better at a game.

What would Battletoads be with infinite health?
What would Altered beasts be with limitless continues?

Crap what would Mario, Sonic or Megaman be like if they couldn't die!?

Challenge the little buggers Nintendo. You did it so well to us in the past, I think this generation deserves just as much a kick in the ass as we got.

Wario's been in games where you can't die and that's never stopped his game career. Just saying.

And speaking of complaints about not dying, I find it hypocritical of how Yahtzee says the same thing about not being able to die in this game yet in previous reviews, he's mentioned that a "lives system" should be obsolete so anyone can finish a game. Kinda contradictory aint it?

So you want to die in games so they can be challenging but you think "lives systems" are obsolete? Make your mind Croshaw! What do you want games to be?! EASY OR HARD?!

well, i'm completely stumped. Is it good, or bad, or just for stupid kids xD

An especially vitriolic one this time, Yahtzee. Kudos!

i love kirby myself. somewhere in my cold, dried up, slightly homosexual heart there is still a place for that pink puffball.

edit:

Lordofthesuplex:

Madara XIII:

Nincompoop:
*watched*
Aw. But it's so cute, Yahtzee! That should render it immune to scrutiny by default!

WTF!?!?!

TEACH KIDS SOME FAILURE DAMMIT!! It's what inspired us older gamers to do better at a game.

Challenge the little buggers Nintendo. You did it so well to us in the past, I think this generation deserves just as much a kick in the ass as we got.

Wario's been in games where you can't die and that's never stopped his game career. Just saying.

And speaking of complaints about not dying, I find it hypocritical of how Yahtzee says the same thing about not being able to die in this game yet in previous reviews, he's mentioned that a "lives system" should be obsolete so anyone can finish a game. Kinda contradictory aint it?

So you want to die in games so they can be challenging but you think "lives systems" are obsolete? Make your mind Croshaw! What do you want games to be?! EASY OR HARD?!

you can still die. he just means that the lives system where you have to start the entire level over if you lost them all is stupid.

Fun review (and a fun game in my opinion).

After Super Wet Paper Mario, Wario Land: Collect It!, and New Chronic Mario Bros Wii, I've gotten tired of 2D platformers on the Wii (or on anything else for that matter; sorry, Limbo).
At least Mario and Sonic know to jump around and blast off in 3D along with the 2D level-sweeping.

This game was pretty good, until I tried doing those little mini-games those apartment renters make you do. Holy shit, those things are frustrating and awful. And all you get for doing them was wallpaper I wasn't going to use, more money that I didn't need, and some points towards 100% which doesn't really mean anything important. Yay, I got 100%. So what? Once again I wasted my time playing something unenjoyable for something that when I look back on it now, it means fuck all.

Rest of the game was pretty fun though.

Okysho:
Also, it looks like Epic Yarn took everything Sakurai couldn't put into SSBB adventure mode and threw it into one big game. I know HAL entertainment are notorious for secrets and backtracking, but FUCK!

Well, it didn't. It was made by Good Feel, not HAL. Thanks for playing though!

I like how many people mentioned it was so late despite him mentioning that it took ages to come over there (same with the UK.)

Nice to see him doing a Nintendo console game again. Makes up for no DKC and probably no Pokemon or Okamiden (maybe he'll do the 3DS. Who knows)

Compaired to games like kirby dreamland 3 and kirby 64, This game is a bit of a joke. And if Yahzee thnik that metaknight is out of place. he should see Zero and ZeroTwo

Note: this review was god dam hilarious!!! > o <

Damn, so they streamlined Kirby and dumbed it down. (So that no one takes me for a fan of this series: this was in allusion to the missing DA2 review.)

Azurian:
Somehow I figured he wasn't going to like Kirby but kids these days are lame.

Ah your just saying that because you were raped as a child :D

Qitz:
Another epic review.

Kirby's Epic Yarn was pretty entertaining, granted you had no punishment for completely screwing up, aside from less shinies, but was still a neat way to blow some time.

Yahtzee should start doing some old school games as well. Would be interesting to see how Paper Boy holds up.

The Human Torch:
Further proof that the Wii truly is meant for childeren. First adult who I see playing this game will get a lollypop and a colorful cap with a propeller on top from me.

Can I have my lollipop now?

He (or she) hasn't seen you (probably, you might be friends for all I know), NO LOLLIPOP FOR YOU! (assuming that the other person hasn't seen you playing the Wii).

As little zangief proved sometimes the fat kids have their day

Imper1um:
Wow, nice. That was hilarious.

I would like to know why developers feel the need to dumb down death mechanics. It's getting really annoying!

Death mechanics wouldn't be worth anything in this game. It'd just be another one of those things where you just start over again with no consequence anyway. Death meant something when running out of lives meant your game was over and you need more money for arcades, or in older NES and such games where you had no save files, dying too much and running out of lives meant starting the entire game over again.

Now we have checkpoints and saving after every level, and dying is just pointless. Oh no, I died? Okay, I'll just start this one level over from the last checkpoint. Oh no, out of lives? Okay, I'll just start this same level over again from the start, although I might be slightly inconvenienced with a trip back to the title screen first. Neither of those are really a consequence for failure, so if a game like Kirby's Epic Yarn comes along and decides to cut the last of the bullshit and just not kill me as killing me wouldn't get in my way, I say fine.

I mean really, I have a bit of a problem saying that Kirby's Epic Yarn has no challenge because you can't die. I can't help but think back to Killzone 3 which I finished recently, and how if I died I just went back to a checkpoint. No matter how many times I died, boom, back to the checkpoint as many times as I needed until I won. It's not really more challenging to finish Killzone 3 because I can die (it is more challenging than KEY in other ways of course, but being able to die isn't increasing the challenge). Getting to the end of levels in Killzone 3 and winning was just as simple as winning Kirby's Epic Yarn as far as death consequence goes: just keep playing until you get through because there is no consequence for failure.

Anybody else wondered what Yahtzee's response would have been about letting his kid play Epic Yarn if instead of a hypothetical son, he had a hypothetical daughter?

In any case, this was hilarious. And it's funny how advertising tricks you. I didn't see any inkling about the whole tycoon apartment thing at all.

Srdjan Tanaskovic:

DoomBlackDragon:
So far kids are stupid as hell.

oh please like your generations was any better

He said "kids are stupid as hell" that does not exclude "we were stupid as hell when we were kids." Hell, I know I was.

I never expected Yahtzee to read this. Never in a million years.

But yeah, Kirby games are normally supposed to be pretty easy, but Epic Yarn was ridiculous. I thought at first that if you lost all of your beads than you'd die like rings with sonic, but I don't think you can even die by jumping down pits. Not to mention it's Kirby without crazy copying abilities. What a shame.

Also, it's pretty terrible that the use of the word "epic" to just mean "cool" is being reinforced more and more.

That last simile confused the shit out of me.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Kirby's Epic Yarn

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Kirby's Epic Yarn and Colorful Apartment Management Simulator 2011, which may in fact be the same game.

Watch Video

Ha at least yahtzee won't raise a little zangief ey

Anyway this review is so discomforting cause the things he finds "wrong" with it are seriously back to basic Nintendo gaming (Which people are wishing for)
The thing he does then is to shove itoff on letting children play the game
And that's where Yahtzee turns into the blightiest git ever

You do know this entire generation of gamers both relatively young and everything above were raised with games like Mario Kirby Crash Bandicoot Spyro etc. etc.

You can't go banging on about gaming turning into a CoD copy Bonanza and then take something that's back to the old days doing it well, to shout at both

That's like shouting at someone cause he gave you money, then afterwards asking him for money, you get the money again but this time you burn it and laugh your little maniacal laugh

Muhahahahahaha yahtzee, Muhahahahahaha indeed

DolorousEdd:
Damn, so they streamlined Kirby and dumbed it down. (So that no one takes me for a fan of this series: this was in allusion to the missing DA2 review.)

Luckily not everyone makes new acounts solely to bash meaninglessly ey?

DolorousEdd:

Luckily not everyone makes new acounts solely to bash meaninglessly ey?

You know, if you wanted to review a kiddie game I was hoping you'd go with the new pokemon games. At least you'd have newer, more interewsting stuff to say about it.
I'm predicting Dragon age 2 for next week.

DolorousEdd:
Damn, so they streamlined Kirby and dumbed it down.

SlothfulCobra:
... Also, it's pretty terrible that the use of the word "epic" to just mean "cool" is being reinforced more and more.

I remember when this happened to the word "awesome".

Yahtzee:

...but my feeling is that a game whose quest is over halfway through -- with a whole bunch of optional levels remaining, and interior design your only remaining motivation to play them -- has its sights slightly misaligned.

You mean, like Braid?

According to Yahtzee I'm a big fat pink retard who likes shit rubbed in my eyes.
I'm okay with this.

Azurian:
Somehow I figured he wasn't going to like Kirby but kids these days are lame.

This x a trillion.

Curious selection even for you, though, Yahtzee me ol' mate. Not running out of games to hate, I hope?

Couldn't care less about Kirby game thing, but cumsprouts is replacing spawn as my word for children. The Borg had the right idea, maturation chambers, lock em away out of sight til they are actually people.

I despise little kids too. :) and funny review this week.

o a righteously funny ZP this one is.

To be fair a 5 yo can play and beat this game. I don't believe games of old that catered to 5 yo were all that difficult neither. Less you're comparing pre-teen games to pre-school games.

I enjoyed playing Epic Yarn (though it was only a rent) and the whole YOU CAN'T DIE EVER thing was annoying until you realize, getting hit seriously reams your ability to rank highly in any given level. It's not so much reaching the end of the level, but rather reaching the end after a collectathon of every goodie in the level. That said, I don't see any instance where Yahtzee has ever liked collectathons so I can see why the game garnered a rather "meh" response. Nor did I really find the game challenging enough at a base level to want to buy the game, either.

Still, it didn't really sound like he hated the game, either. This was a much less angry sounding review than say, MindJack.

...Yahtzee, what if your hypothetical child really IS a girl?

Also, you can't die in this game? ...Maybe I should go check it out. What happens if you fall down a bottomless pit or into the lava pool?

Come on give us DA2 review, I want to hear you hate on it :D

That was probably the most brutal review for a video game ever and that's saying something for Yahtzee's reviews.

Lordofthesuplex:

Madara XIII:

Nincompoop:
*watched*

WTF!?!?!

Wario however while well known amongst gamers isn't that big a name to the "casual audience" now a days.

Secondly what someone else said. He feels that the lives system is obsolete because you have to start your progress all the way back from the beginning. (Ex: Sonic) My pet peeve with that was at least let me restart the world instead of the entire goddamn game!!!!

Idk though maybe he's used to the infinite live system.
I for one however am in favor of the lives system. Except in the Super Mario World or Megaman Sense in which you have to restart a whole level when you lose all your lives rather than the whole game like Sonic did.

Good points over all. Sadly I think the DIE or FAILURE element needs to be present within a game if necessary. You want to punish your players brutally, but not to the point where they'll quit out right. No you need to savor their pain and discouragement in small incriments. Bit by delicious bit... MWAHAHAHAHAHAA

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here