Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Sucker Punch

MovieBob reviews Sucker Punch, which is "intelligent and moving, if utterly deranged."

Watch Video

Fine. I'll finally see fucking Watchmen Bob. Despite my lack of interest in it's material. And then see this right after.

Are you ever going to add your older reviews, like Watchmen and Star Trek to the Escape to the Movies archive, btw?

SON OF A BITCH!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...

I WANT TO SEE THIS FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!!!

Hopefully I can persuade him otherwise...

EDIT: Ended up seeing it. Fucking amazing. The soundtrack was probably my favorite part, then the visuals. But Bob, I have a bone to pick with you. I mean, the commercials and trailers showed Germans, so I expected that. Someone hinted to me that they would be zombies, so I expected that too. But, I was blown away when I saw German-steampunk zombies!!!

Sign me up for Team HELL YES!

Your review sounds just what my mother thought when we saw an extended sneak peek last night. Though instead of "intelligent and moving" she said "imaginative and artistic with a sprinkle of mild horror."(and she is aware its not horror)

So yeah we as a family might go see it for the awesome looking action, beautiful visuals, and how the main characters are all females fighting males for a change.

Gxas:
SON OF A BITCH!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...

Paul was a pretty damned lazy movie, honestly. It was everything you'd predict it to be. SuckerPunch at least looks vaguely original. I'd try to convince him/her otherwise.

I remember going to watch a movie (think it was Scott pilgrim) and i became utterly hyped upp when i told my friends that this looks like a REALLY good movie they looked at me like I was mad (although you can't really blame them)

it still looks awesome and I'm going to see it tonight or tomorrow night

Interesting, this movie has interested me since you first mentioned it in the credits of one of your escape to the movies way back yonder. However, you are the first critic to say it is worth while most have been saying it is a contender for the worst movie of the year. I might give it a chance. Perhaps though bob you could maybe address more as to why there has been such poor reception of this movie and perhaps what you saw in the movie that perhaps others missed?

Pro Tip: If you want a movie to be successful, don't compare it favorably to Scott Pilgrim.

It's interesting how hollywood has been exploring dreams as of late... or concepts of reality. I wonder if that says anything about the current climate with the recession and all. Perhaps we all wish we could escape into our heads?

Anyway, sweet review. I will be seeing this :P

I'll be seeing it this weekend. Sounds pretty unique.
Edit: Yikes. It is getting destroyed by critics.

Urgh...I feel like I just lost the raging debate I've been having with my friends over whether or not this was a male fetish movie.

Prediction based on recent comment threads of Moviebob videos and articles: The second of the momentary images during the credits will get more attention than anything else in the entire review.

This review somehow sealed the deal even more on a movie I planned on seeing, come hell or high water.

What a coincidence, the ads play the trailer to the review.

Anyway, sorry Bob but eventhough it does look like it's worth watching I going to miss it like I did with Inception. I'm saving all of my cash for the summer movies.

Utterly deranged you say? That settles it, I need to see this.

Prediction based on recent comment threads of Moviebob videos and articles: The second of the momentary images during the credits will get more attention than anything else in the entire review.

I've been on the fence since I first saw the stills for this movie, mostly because of what Bob said. It seemed to simply pander to the comic book/anime/fan boy crowd. This isn't to say that I'm not in that group, but I was feeling like this movie was almost baiting me to come in and watch it because it simply had those things in it, which I wasn't buying.

Listening to Bob's review, it's nice to hear that it may actually come off as a good piece of cinema and I think I'm in the realm of "yeah, I'll go check it out" rather then "wait for it to come out on DVD". Thanks Bob.

Gxas:
SON OF A BITCH!!!

>.> or ya know, pay your own way, this looks a hell of a lot better the Paul i'm a go see it, >.> after i get paid that is

By the way, Escapist, is there a REASON your forums have to wait for a connection to static.ak.connect.facebook.com every time I try to post a comment, even though I don't have a Facebook account? And is there a reason it always takes so goddamn long to connect to it?

This is something I'll need to experience for myself to form my own opinion. Like Dragon Age 2.

deathmetalfan:
Really? You couldn't review Hobo with a Shotgun?

Only out on Canadian release so far.

I'm really hoping you're right Bob you are one of a very small selection of critics that have actually had something positive to say about the movie. Been looking forward to this movie since the second trailer.

The worse part is the comparison to Scott Pilgram... Which I still say was a fairly terrible movie. (Except the gay guy. I'd watch it again just to see the gay guy. He tore it up.)

I think I'll watch this movie despite that though.

Edit:

DearFilm:
Pro Tip: If you want a movie to be successful, don't compare it favorably to Scott Pilgrim.

Belated QFT

I am so f-cking glad to hear someone likes this movie. When I heard the guys at Spill give it a Sum ol Bullshit my jaw hit the floor.

I'm sorry, I just can't take this movie seriously. I know Bob SAYS that it's intelligent and deep and "refreshingly" centered on women, but if that's the case, then the marketing was a MASSIVE failure because to me it still looks like nothing more than another boring, flashy, pandering mess. Seriously, how many times throughout the course of the movie can they jump off a tall thing and land in a crouch with one arm thrown back before dramatically snapping their heads up? Even if it IS smarter than it appears, I don't think it's the audience's fault for not going to see it based on the way it IS presented.

Maybe on Netflix. I don't care about the scantily clad parts. It just looks like another boring, overly special-effect'd action flick trying to cram as many popular pieces of fantasy/sci-fi as it can into its running time. I just can't be bothered to sit through another spectacle.

DearFilm:

I liked Scott Pilgrim. I imagine I'm going to enjoy Sucker Punch immensely.

One pattern that I've picked up on... If Movie Bob gives a recommendation, even if it goes against the general consensus of other film critics, I'll usually like what the movie has to offer. It's when he pans a movie (especially if he invokes the Rant of Bob) that I usually ignore him. This holds even more true with his opinions on video games.

Okay, you have convinced me.

If someone can tell me the acting is decent i'll see it.

(but for the record, Watchmen the comic was better than the film. No-one has really captured Alan Moores depressing but interesting views on government and control on film yet. I think alot of people balk at the final hurdel, no wonder he is pissed.)

to be honest, I was gonna go see this movie for the hot girls slaying monsters with samurai swords. Now that I hear it has actual depth I am friggin excited.
I was worried that it would turn out that most of the film was the insain assylum and that barely any of it was what I actually wanted to see. my fears have proven baseless, thanks Movie Bob

Similar to Scott Pilgrim you say? Well I was gonna see it anyway.
IMO I got a bit of the 'not really a dude-fetish film' from the trailers in such. But it looks more like its FeminAWESOME as opposed to Feminism. Which gets more pluses in my book.

Critically panned or not, I'm watching this movie to watch 20 ft tall Samurai get pwnd by a 5-ish foot tall girl in schoolgirl outfit.

Turkey Braveheart:
I am so f-cking glad to hear someone likes this movie. When I heard the guys at Spill give it a Sum ol Bullshit my jaw hit the floor.

Speaking for myself, I find Bob steers me right about 95% of the time and the Spill guys about 60% of the time. So I'll be there tonight.

Plus, any movie with a Brazil reference--especially the giant metal samurai--is alright in my book.

...Didn't see that one coming.

wait that tagline "you will be unprepared"?

[ilidan] YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!!!

Turkey Braveheart:

Off Topic:
I'm glad to see somone else likes spill, those guys arn't nearly as popular as they deserve. I've never met a bunch of guys so willing to get invoved with there audience. If i'm ever in austin i'm definatly going to one of their epic meet ups!

Dora:
Seriously, how many times throughout the course of the movie can they jump off a tall thing and land in a crouch with one arm thrown back before dramatically snapping their heads up?

If it's filmed by Zack Snyder, as many times as they goddamn want.

-m

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or