Escape to the Movies: Sucker Punch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Currently this film is getting critically slaughtered despite my initial hopes so of course it's refreshing to see something more positive.

I'll still go see it but I will go with the open mind that I might just end up leaving cinematically offended a'la Micheal Bay style.

Apples_McGrind:

Scars Unseen:

DearFilm:

Personally, I found Scott Pilgrim the movie to be fun and energetic for the first third. The second third was draggy and the last third was confused and tonally uneven. Scott Pilgrim the character, on the other hand, as a complete loss on me. A serially depressed, mopy loser.

As for Bob, he is one of the few critics I cannot predict, and that makes him unique and special to me. I love watching his reviews and placing them against my own thoughts on films.

I think the pacing issues primarily stem from the fact that it's a feature length film adaptation of a 6 volume comic. I can forgive it that, and really didn't even notice on the first viewing (because I was too busy having fun watching it). As for the character, I think that, after reading the comic, Michael Cera wasn't the best casting decision they made with that movie. The problem is that I can't really tell you who would fit the character.

All in all, I enjoyed Scott Pilgrim for what it was, and believe that the only real way to improve it would be to stretch it into TV series, preferably of the sort that HBO would host, or possibly some of the better SciFi Channel mini-series (BSG, Dune, etc). Oh, and change the Katayanagi twins back into robot engineers instead of the lame retcon into DJs. That would be great.

Personally, I loved the movie the first time, but did feel a little held back by the pacing. The second time I watched it though, The pacing issues totally vanished. It felt like once you know where the movie is going, Scott Pilgrim's pacing is actually perfect for the kind of movie it's trying to be. Give it another watch, you may be surprised.

I have it on disc and have watched it somewhere around 10 times. Did I mention that I like that movie?

Personally, I intended to see after the first trailer I and my friends saw.

When you see a trailer, and you are standing outside the theater with your friends, and everyone is saying variations of "Oh that looks awesome"...and yet at the same time when you ask "does anyone know what it's about?" and no one can answer you...

This just says "I will see it".

I'm definitely going to go and see this in the cinema. I think that I can form my own judgement on it (although perhaps I have bigged myself up for it already so either going to love it regardless or be utterly disappointed) but I feel if I didn't see it in the cinema it just wouldn't be quite the same.

Especially with all the dream/reality worlds and the special effects, don't reckon a home setting will really do it for me. If I'm going to like it, it's going to be on the big screen.

Still psyched!!

I've been looking forward to this as much as the (hopefully) forthcoming "The Goon" movie, I seriously can't wait for this to hit the shores over here.

For those of you not in the know, this is "The Goon". I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

i wanna see it i wanna see it i wanna see it I WANNA SEE IT!!!

did i mentiion i wanna see it?

Honestly, I was just gonna see for the girls in skimpy clothes killing shit and I make no apologies for that. But it's good to see it's a lot more than just an eye candy fest. Must be seen in IMAX.

I loved this movie. Fuck the critics (I didn't even see any critic before watching it), this movie has every single thing I could ever ask a movie to deliver. Everything from the game / anime / fantasy references to the gorgeous protagonists to the awesome music to the great script to the perfect direction, photography, montage, etc.

Don't listen to critics. If you're a regular to this site, chances are you'll love Sucker Punch. It'll talk to you in ways you didn't even know you could be reached, and you'll leave the theatre a more complete, happier person.

To me, this is, hands down, the BEST action / fantasy movie I've ever seen. Yes, better than Matrix, and even better than its predecesors, 300 and Watchmen.

I'm super pumped to see this. I am a huge Snyder fan and hope he keeps getting the projects he wants to do because they seem to all be right up my alley. He should team up with Robert Rodriguez some time (aaah I think I just messed myself)

So, its like Scott Pilgrim?

Ah, so its bad. A miss then.

Primus1985:
I wish I had already went out and seen it instead of waiting for the review, but I had to be sure, now I know I'll love it :)

My only concern is what exactly is Bob's deal against 300? Its one of my favorite movies. And for him to call Frank Miller's work "drivel" is appalling to say the least.

What about Sin City, or Miller's adaptation of The Spirit? Bob claims he's for artistic stuff as well as grindhouse style action so what exactly is his beef?

Just because he referred to one film adaptation as "Frank Miller Drivel" doesn't mean "All Frank Miller's stuff is drivel" does it?

Anyway, since everything Bob has said about 300 seems in line with my and a few other people's general opinion of it, allow me to offer this synopsis of what the anti-300 camp tend to think: a film/graphic novel totally loaded with hyper-masculine warrior-cult crap that portrays a group of ferocious fascist bastards as being brilliant and admirable and wonderful and oh-so-brave. You might see it as "SPARTANS FUCK YEAH" and then gleefully sit watching those badasses kick the shit out of some Persians like I did the first time I saw it (and to be honest, I can't really blame you or anyone else for that matter for admiring it like that).

But to the other camp (which included me after the honeymoon period was over) the constant misty-eyed worship of un-ironically despicable, violent, super-macho piles of rage and muscle gives off the distinct impression that Mr. Miller is just stroking a broomhandle he got from watching a particularly violent documentary about a furious warrior-cult and decided o write some creepy fanfic to facilitate that rather unpleasant end.

But then, maybe I read too much into it and am too busy throwing my opinions at someone who doesn't care about them to notice how neurotic I'm being. Back in the hole I go! sorry to bother you!

k-ossuburb:
I've been looking forward to this as much as the (hopefully) forthcoming "The Goon" movie, I seriously can't wait for this to hit the shores over here.

For those of you not in the know, this is "The Goon". I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

There is nothing about this video that I didn't like, and way more things about it that I loved. Thank you!

I'd go see this movie, if I can find someone to see it with.

Love it or hate it is right. My other site I go to for movie reviews has 4 main reviewers and they all hated it. They thought it was nonsense pandering to 13 year geeks combined with terrible acting and non groundbreaking visuals. I happen to agree with almost every single one of your reviews, so I guess I have to see it. Funny thing about the other reviewers is that they fit right into your age range (maybe a little older) and are huge geeks as well.

They hated Watchmen too though....I think they have something against Zack Snyder.

Gxas:
SON OF A BITCH!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...

I WANT TO SEE THIS FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!!!

Hopefully I can persuade him otherwise...

FTR Bob really liked Paul as well.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I'll be seeing it this weekend. Sounds pretty unique.
Edit: Yikes. It is getting destroyed by critics.

With all due respect...fuck the critics. See it and decide on the basis of your own experience.

I... Well I did not honestly loved it... It had some good moments but... Meh.

It's not a bad movie to me. But if I watched the review before going to watch the movie. I would feel this was severely overhyped.

Cool, I was kinda hoping it would be like this. I was originally going to see it for the spectacle and the skimpy outfits but now I'm even more curious.

Well, i enjoyed 300, loved watchmen, and scott pilgrim is one of my all-time favorite movies. along with the fact that scott pilgrim wasnt very well recieved critically either and ive been wanting to see this movie since i saw the trailer, i think ill see it. in my opinion, when bob goes against the tide of other critics and delivers such a decisive recommendation, its at least worth seeing to form your own opinion about it, despite prior hesistation.

Father Time:

Gxas:
SON OF A BITCH!!!

I was going to see this movie tonight. We had everything planned. Then what happens? My friend sees its score on metacritic and "won't pay for a shitty movie" so now we're seeing Paul...

I WANT TO SEE THIS FUCKING MOVIE!!!!!!!

Hopefully I can persuade him otherwise...

FTR Bob really liked Paul as well.

But... Paul doesn't have dragons and nazis and samurai and robots and al- well... it has aliens...

qbanknight:
No Bob, this is not an example of a young director expressing his artistic talent in a positive way. This film is to Snyder as "Lady in the Water" was to M. Night. It's Snyder's own personal world that only makes sense to him and him alone.

The script is utterly insipid. The first 15 minutes have no dialogue and all we are treated to is a remix version of 80s songs that dealt with dreams. Now "Up" had a beginning that had no dialogue and was so emotionally resounding that it was amazing to see people NOT cry in the beginning. But nothing interesting is going on here, just Snyder's "unique" artistic style. And by "unique", I mean slowing down and speeding up every goddamn frame to make mundane activities seem interesting: close up on a key, stop, quick cut to face slow-mo, quick cut to lock speed up, etc. It's absolutely pointless and it's nothing interesting.

The characters are bland and uninteresting. I cannot fathom how you saw ANY character in these girls. These girls were just archetypes: the shy but free-spirit, the hard-knock life chick, the flirt, the screw up, and the...I don't know what to call Vanessa Hudgens since she has less than 15 lines in the whole damn movie. Joe Hamm is totally wasted, he is constantly demonized as the "High Roller" throughout the movie but he doesn't say a word of dialogue until the last 5 minutes in the movie. The "Wise Man" giving the girls instructions says so many off-the-wall-completely-unrelated quips (like "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything") that my audience was laughing in the screening we got. They would make a fortune cookie say, "what the hell are you talking about?!"

This is style over substance and yes, pandering, Bob. You are claiming critics are dismissing it as such. And they are totally right, because there is nothing empowering about these girls fighting when we are treated to so many crotch shots of their panties when they fight.

People, rent this movie. Don't bother catching this theaters. That way, you can at least fast forward to the cool sequences and stop it all when the last dream is done.

Now I'm looking to Superman with a sad, sad face.

Yes this excactly.

It's sad when a critic will tell the audience to go see this movie, as if it was command. THe movie like all other style over substance flicks will make a killing in the box office regardless. There are smaller more overlooked works of cinema that he could be instead directing us to.

I was going to see this anyway (it looks like a female version of The Expendables) but its cool to know that Bob likes it (even if metacritic doesn't)

I agreed 100% with the WATCHMEN review so I can't wait to see this, big fan of Snyder.

Vanessa Hudgens. Yummy. Thats all i have to say lol. I'm gonna marry her someday lol.

Sin City
Watchmen
Scott Pilgrim
and now Sucker Punch!

It looks like nerd-themed movies are becoming a trend! Sign me up for this one!

I was thinking of seeing this movie, but wasn't entirely sure. After watching this Im totally going to see this now. :)

Thank you Bob, you finally convinced my friends to come with me and see this..

And TBH does it really matter if its a male fetish fest..? Immaturity and senseless graphical masterpieces need their place in the movie world..

Huh I guess this is a love it or hate it film. Movie Bob loves it, and my most trusted reviewers at Spill.com hate it. So does IGN, but they are kinda shit with reviews and trusting them at all is a little stupid. Guess I do have to see this one then, Ive always liked Zack Schnider, loved 300, really enjoyed Watchmen, from what ive heard Guardians of Gahool or whatever was pretty dang good too. Hes got a good track record not alot of people give him credit for and with him doing superman I do hope that this movie is more of the good Movie Bob says it is than the shit others say it is

WOW, this review got my nipples hard!!

ragsmorrison:

And finally, the only way Scott Pilgrim could have been remotely good was if Edgar Wright time traveled to 1985 and asked Michael J. Fox to play the lead.

I liked Scott Pilgrim a lot, but the Michael J. Fox thing is very true; he would have made a much better Scott.
OT: Coming from someone who watches lots of really weird and random movies, this looks like something I will probably enjoy immensely. Eye-candy is really good for theaters, for me anyways. If I'm looking for something critically acclaimed, I'm going to watch it on DVD so I can figure out why it's so well-received.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed Samurai Princess, so there is NO way I'm not going to like this one. (I hope)

I almost want to dismiss this review entirely - because Bob IS a fanboy, and this seems like a very elaborate and sophisticated way of justifying himself. I want to think that, really, Bob likes Suckerpunch because he IS the audience to whom it is unashamedly being marketed.

And, well, Snyder certainly intended to convey everything Bob accredited to the movie. He simply failed, miserably, because he is an uninspired storyteller and a mediocre writer.

I've read a lot of criticism for this film, but - who compared it to Inception? I don't think anyone would want to mention them in the same breath.

Manji187:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I'll be seeing it this weekend. Sounds pretty unique.
Edit: Yikes. It is getting destroyed by critics.

With all due respect...fuck the critics. See it and decide on the basis of your own experience.

You sir are absolutely correct, I plan on seeing this tomorrow evening.

This movie looks like nothing but a CGI filled action film.

I got chills from this review. Like most, I was prepared to pass this off as nerd pandering, just as much as 300 was douche pandering, but now I must see this. Thanks, Bob.

I was already going to see that movie for it's batshit insane premise when it comes out in Sweden.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here