Dream a Little Dream

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dream a Little Dream

MovieBob recommends five movies that visit the land of dreams.

Read Full Article

The end of Brazil still stands as my favorite ending to a film of all time, it gives me tingles. Michael Palin as the ultimate manifestaion of a beurocrat literally gone mad is actually terrifying, he is mild manored and plesant as the man himself but tortures people for the state, sometimes to death, for a living

It's been years since I last saw Brazil. I need to rectify that soon. After I see Sucker Punch.

Somewhere in Time and Eternal Sunshine are the only two movies I've seen on this list. I will rectify this immediately.

I guess i will actually go see a movie.

Also Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is one of the best films of the past 10 years, go see it. Now.

Off to Netflix!

Have seen Brazil and Eternal Sunshine. Love both of them. The whole "dream and reality" theme is one that I love, be it books, movies or whatever.

For those that want an anime recommendation for the same kind of movie, I would suggest anything by Satoshi Kon (Paprika is the one most connected to actual dreaming, but they all fit except for Tokyo Godfathers). Ghost in the Shell 2 touches on the subject as well and it's a good movie but also weird as hell and nigh-incomprehensible, so be warned.
Ergo Proxy is also a hard-to-understand anime that references a lot of philosophy and psychology, but it's a series instead of a movie and only a few episodes have anything to do with dreams.

Now, to see the other movies on the list...

I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine since it came out on DVD. I recall being confused back then, but these days, I do enjoy Charlie Kaufman's movies a great deal, and have been waiting for a chance to revisit Sunshine.

Also, Spellbound looks very interesting, based on that premise and picture alone. I'll check it out. Thanks, Bob.

No 'The Science of Sleep'?

It's not the best movie, but I think it's the best dream movie, better than Eternal Sunshine and also by Gondry.

Understanding the need to exclude anime, if one should be included, it's the film Paprika. Along with being an excellent film with great imagery, it was also the final project that the late great director Satoshi Kon finished. Go see it.

His other movies Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress could also be said to be tangentially about dreams, but Paprika is the most relevant to the dream topic.

Brazil is one of my favorite movies ever... Both versions. It was on one of the premium cable channels last month (forget which one) and I watched it three times: it's one of those movies that you learn more about every time you watch it. They have 12 Monkeys playing every day now.

Gilliam's latest (Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus) would've done well on this list and is in some ways and even more Gilliamish movie than Brazil in that it incorporates the wider variety of his styles.

I'm just glad the article isn't about the Coreys' movie Dream a Little Dream.

What? No Paprika? C'mon that movie brilliant and achieves with dreams what most movies fall short of. Brazil rocked my socks, by far it has the best cameo from a well known celebrity ever done in a movie.

I feel like I am going to set off a powder keg by coming onto this forum, but of all those movies, I have Dreamscape and Somewhere in Time on Instant View and I don't think I have heard of Spellbound, but I did not like Brazil, but I did love Eternal Sunshine, I bought that movie (rewatched it a few months ago, It's like a fine, weird tasting wine) but Brazil didn't do it for me.

Brazil worked like this for me: In almost all my math classes, The answers were always in the back of the book. They never really told you how to do the assignment, they just gave you the answer, and the assignment page had the question. In really simple math lingo, You have "A" and you have "C" on the back page, but "B" is what you need to figure it all out.

With Brazil, I had "A" (The Main plot of it all) and I have "C" (The Understanding of the ending), but I have no idea of what "B" is (How everything in the middle makes heads or tails to anything that happened throughout the entire movie).

I'm not going to say I wouldn't maybe consider watching it again sometime, but perhaps if I had a veteran try to explain it to me (And by then, it's almost like cheating), I might understand it all, but that's my take on that.

Scrumpmonkey:
The end of Brazil still stands as my favorite ending to a film of all time, it gives me tingles. Michael Palin as the ultimate manifestaion of a beurocrat literally gone mad is actually terrifying, he is mild manored and plesant as the man himself but tortures people for the state, sometimes to death, for a living

You know there was a case of executive meddling going on even after it's release? The final plot twist, where the bizarre soft-focus romantic sequence ends and the depressing ending begins just before the credits roll was left out on early American showings. The result was completely nonsensical, as you can imagine.

Anyway, I'm happy that Brazil is getting props. I bloody well love that film.

shogunblade:
I feel like I am going to set off a powder keg by coming onto this forum, but of all those movies, I have Dreamscape and Somewhere in Time on Instant View and I don't think I have heard of Spellbound, but I did not like Brazil, but I did love Eternal Sunshine, I bought that movie (rewatched it a few months ago, It's like a fine, weird tasting wine) but Brazil didn't do it for me.

Brazil worked like this for me: In almost all my math classes, The answers were always in the back of the book. They never really told you how to do the assignment, they just gave you the answer, and the assignment page had the question. In really simple math lingo, You have "A" and you have "C" on the back page, but "B" is what you need to figure it all out.

With Brazil, I had "A" (The Main plot of it all) and I have "C" (The Understanding of the ending), but I have no idea of what "B" is (How everything in the middle makes heads or tails to anything that happened throughout the entire movie).

I'm not going to say I wouldn't maybe consider watching it again sometime, but perhaps if I had a veteran try to explain it to me (And by then, it's almost like cheating), I might understand it all, but that's my take on that.

What is there to understand? I was under the impression that we were meant to just enjoy the ride while Gilliam showed us what the humorous dystopia inside his imagination looks like.

Altered States should be on this list somewhere :) William Hurt's first film, very odd piece but intriguing. Also Brainstorm with Christopher Walken.

MovieBob:
To this day, just shy of a decade later, it remains a career highpoint for everyone involved.

Bit of a big claim in the context of Interview with the Vampire (by far Dunst's most compelling performance), LOTR (which I find irredeemably boring, but many people seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread), and Quills, but I think you certainly have an arguable case.

Eternal Sunshine is fantastic but . . .

. . . no Waking Life? Seriously? That's hands-down the best dream movie that's ever been made D:

gundamrx101:
What? No Paprika? C'mon that movie brilliant and achieves with dreams what most movies fall short of.

He notes at the beginning that he will avoid anime for this list. Granted, I agree with you on the qualitiy of Paprika.

Going over these, I've only heard of two of them and they're the only ones that really peak my interest (Brazil and Eternal Sunshine).

High five for the Eternal Sunshine plug!

For my money, Mulholland Drive would be a perfect fit somewhere on here; highbrow though he is, Lynch may be one of our greatest living directors, and one of the few who could be said to actually touch the subconscious on screen. But a very good list even without my favorite movie of the 2000s.

Awww, no Total Recall? But... its ahnold!

I still had hope that he would mention papprika even that he said tha he would'n't mention any Anime...

Awww maaaaaaaaan, paprika is soooooooooooo goooooooooood...Not as good as Brazil (BTW, i'm actually from Brazil) but still awesome!

Kind of surprised you left out The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and Pan's Labyrinth. Like Sucker Punch and Brazil, they also deal with protagonists who use fantasy to escape their mundane, oppressive and even bleak realities

My list would´ve probably included Waking Life. I love that film. I´m also a bit of a Linklater fanboy.

Did Sean Connery come to Christopher Reeves as a sagely dragon with that advice on how to avoid typecasting?

As for other dream movies that are required viewing, you need to see Un Chien Andalou (1929), which you can see right now here. This is where it all started.

I know, I know, the disclaimer, but Paprika.

Just saying.

InterAirplay:

Scrumpmonkey:

You know there was a case of executive meddling going on even after it's release? The final plot twist, where the bizarre soft-focus romantic sequence ends and the depressing ending begins just before the credits roll was left out on early American showings. The result was completely nonsensical, as you can imagine.

Anyway, I'm happy that Brazil is getting props. I bloody well love that film.

Yes i wasd very aware of that, the whole affair effectively destroyed his career in big-budget cinema. Don't get me started on the studio process and the abominations that have resulted. Yerry Gillingham is a very tlaented man and many of his projects, most sadly Fear and Loathing, have not had the backing they deserve.

This is the way i see the games industry going with outfits like Activision deciding that anything vaugely different is "Not marketable" when things like Bioshock prove that you can tack as many interesting or even radical concepts and ideas onto an FPS/ genere game as you want and still sell it provided it is good.

Bob you missed the most obvious dream story that really should be on this list - A waking life. It's filmed in rotoscope by Richard Linklater (I think) - who then went onto A Scanner Darkly using similar concepts. It's metaphysical and epistemological on a serious level, so my attraction to it may be a little biased

Reeve is a present-day playwright who falls in love with the photo of a woman from 1912, whom he believes he also met as an old woman the night before she died (it's complicated). He attempts to use a technique involving dreamlike self-hypnosis to travel back to her time.

Huh....wasn't that kind of a plot point in The Invisibles, except the play writer was King Mob? (ah yeah uuuh, spoilers...)

Oh, I remember Spellbound. Great film.
I think I'm going to watch the other ones.

I was very young when trailers of "Brazil" passed in cable.

Being brazilian, and young, I was like "What the Hell!". Specially with the soundtrack of a famous brazilian song.

Now that I know what it is about I may see it.

But I doubt that the film's bureaucrats are worse than ours. With one of the biggest taxations of the world (in a country in development, mind you), rampaging corruption and insane paperwork it will be ayough one to "defeat".

Spellbound sounds like a must see.

Being a guy who missed the eighties by a few months, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the only one of those I have seen.

Sikachu:

MovieBob:
To this day, just shy of a decade later, it remains a career highpoint for everyone involved.

Bit of a big claim in the context of Interview with the Vampire (by far Dunst's most compelling performance), LOTR (which I find irredeemably boring, but many people seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread), and Quills, but I think you certainly have an arguable case.

I think it barely makes Kate Winslet's top 3 career highpoints, at best right behind The Reader and Titanic.

You know, for moment I wondered if Bob was taking an easy route and including Nightmare on Elm street in the list.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here