Games That Time Forgot

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I looked around a bit more and:
http://www.minerwars.com/Index.aspx?a=1

An indie game. The trailer on their site references Descent, and it has some free roaming galaxy exploring too if their comments can be trusted. It's in pre-alpha, but you can buy it much like minecraft. I haven't played it myself (not a Descent fan), but I heard some good stories about it.

And yeah, Brutal Legend, gameplay from Sacrifice by the maker of Psychonauts. Sounds awesome, but they seem to have forgotten PCs exist. And I'm not going to buy a whole console for it (well, unless it was a Wii so I could play Zelda, but I think that's the one console they it's not on).

Sacrifice has another vote for me as a game in need of a sequel (though I'll wuss out and say I wouldn't mind it a bit easier, that game got absolutely punishing in later levels where it seemed the AI could overrun you minutes into a level.)

I'd also like to see a new Tie Fighter, but flight sim style games in general are a nearly dead genre much less space ones. And yes I want Tie Fighter 2, not X-Wing, I've played as the Rebels enough times! So much fun though, dozens of missions with varied objectives and multiple stories/campaigns. And thinking back you could call it one of the first games with an achievement system given the medals and ranks you could earn completing side objectives. Modernize the graphics, tweak some of the weapons (as I always found it silly a fighter could destroy a huge cruiser by sitting in a blind spot and just firing away with basic lasers, or even easier disable it with ion cannons if you had them even with no one else helping), and I'd preorder it the second it goes up.

When I saw the title of the article, the first game that came to mind was Descent, and the fact that you touched upon it makes me a happy man.

The Madman:
Freespace is actually a spinoff series from Descent if you didn't know. The first game is named Descent: Freespace, and it's technically a continuation of Descents story.

This is completely wrong and I have no idea where you got this information from. The only reason the first Freespace was called Descent: Freespace was to avoid trademark issues. In Europe, it's known as Conflict: Freespace for the same reason.

I loved Decent. Glad to see someone out there played it.

Man, I didn't think anyone else remembered Magic Carpet. One of my saddest days was finding the new family computer couldn't run it; the game was incompatible with new OS or something.

Wow, I was hit by a huge wave of nostalgia when I saw the Descent screenshot. I last played that when I was like five on my dad's windows 95? I didn't know what it was called, but I still remember the first level by heart.

Thanks for reminding me of that, it's been bugging me for ages.

Timmibal:
Freelancer.

Come on, that game wasn't even properly FINISHED.

THIS! EFFING THIS!! loved the first game, and i dont understand why theres no sequel for it, such a shame.

anyways shamus, thx for nostalgia trigger, makes me wanna go back in time.

and my personal additions
Swiv 3D
Redneck Rampage
Oni
Myst
Dark Reign
Interstate 76

i miss the old days :(

Nitram22:
May I suggest Republic Commando as a game that definitely should have got a sequel.

every time someone reminds me of Republic Commando I feel quite sad :[

but yes, I didn't realize until more recently that it was really the only game I ever look back and truly wish had a sequel
...that along with Battlefront and Timesplitters and adjfalkdjfkldf great :p

Kalabrikan:

The Madman:
Freespace is actually a spinoff series from Descent if you didn't know. The first game is named Descent: Freespace, and it's technically a continuation of Descents story.

This is completely wrong and I have no idea where you got this information from. The only reason the first Freespace was called Descent: Freespace was to avoid trademark issues. In Europe, it's known as Conflict: Freespace for the same reason.

I stand corrected, Thank you!

Sequels too often dilute the formula that made previous games great. There is no franchise or series that eventually jumps the shark after a period of time.

Imagine if Christopher Tolkien kept creating books set in Middle Earth after his father's demise; would they be any good? The Expanded Universe of Star Wars has been hit and miss through the ages, but mostly lots of misses. I don't need to mention the prequel films.

Bringing it back to games: Super Mario. After almost three decades that franchise has begun it's eventual descent into a nosedive ending in a collision with the ground, although that maneuver probably began with the various Mario Party and sports games.

Many of the games in the article had sequels. At some point the developers decided "Okay, that's enough," and began work of other projects. Either that, or the games did not sell well enough to warrant a sequel.

A sequel is a means of giving players more of what they want; more of a game the players wanted to play more of, but the developers couldn't or the publisher wouldn't allow more time and content to be invested in the project.

Starflight, X-Com, Descent, Magic Carpet; all four of those games were made with the cutting edge technologies of their time, but which pales in comparison to the resources available today. Nowadays you don't need a Cray or advanced development environment to make games similar to those classics that never got sequels. I say, make your own. If you enjoyed a game enough to want more of it, make some mods or build you own game from the ground up. The garage/basement developers caught on to this idea ages ago.

I downloaded the UFO: Alien Invasion game and then the controls didn't work. I could only move one guy on a terror mission, then he died in the first enemy round and everyone else refused to leave the ship.

Thanks for reminding me about Descent and Freespace, though. I seem to recall Magic Carpet being included for free on my grandfathers Compaq back in the day. And I know that me and my dad tried out some shutter glasses in the mid-90's on a custom version of Descent running on a 66Mhz 486DX2 with a whopping 8 MB of RAM. That was the first PC I helped build.

I'm still amazed that Nintendo hasn't done more with the Starfox franchise than a few crappy hand-held additions. Those games were solid!

A Magic Carpet sequel would be so awesome with modern graphics and physics technology. And as others have said, that RTS/action hybrid of quickly switching from attacking to defending to gathering resources was really fun. It seems like an empty niche that would be very popular.

Also, Mirror's Edge is a great game. Play it on easy (or use a trainer to make yourself invulnerable to bullets), ignore the combat as best you can, and enjoy the free-running. Play the time trials. It's much more like a racing game than a FPS.

Also, also, the Descent franchise was amazing. Being able to move and turn in any direction at any time and the crazy twisted 3D architecture of those mines was mind-blowing. I don't think any game has done anything like it since. Those wire-frame maps were amazingly cool at the time and absolutely necessary to navigate the mines.

It was a hard game to wrap your head and your fingers around, but once you did, you felt so agile and free.

Your talk about X-Com got me to thinking how you could retain the fun and strategic aspects of it while leaving some of the more boring aspects behind. At first I thought of something like Mass Effect, where you could pause the action in order to give your AI team mates orders. But then I thought of another game. Valcuria Chronicles, it has the turn based structure but each unit's turn plays out in real time. I think X-Com would slip quite nicely into that formula, in fact the only feature VC doesn't seem to have is the base building. Everything else, researching new equipment, managing your squads load out, raising up there experience, it's all already there.

I guess it's still a lot slower that most games today, and maybe you're a purist and don't wont to add any real time aspects but I think it could be awesome if done right.

RhombusHatesYou:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Shamus Young:
X-Com was a complicated and unforgiving game of resource management tactical combat.

This seems to be the industries main move at the moment, and it's something we've all talked about before. The Industry's main fears are complex and unforgiving.

The industry is chopping out anything that might be a threat to accessibility.

Games that could only be beaten by practice and repetition are almost entirely a thing of yesterday.

And this is why I still play retro games, and why I bitch and moan every time they release a new and even more cut down iteration of some game..

Xcom is probably the ultimate example of a great genre with fantastic gameplay that has been completely ignored, wilfully ignored in fact, by every other developer. I'm sure that there is a plenty big enough audience out there for a proper spiritual sequel to XCOM.. if any developer has the kahunas to make it.

In the mean time I'll make do with doublebear's dead state, when it comes out that is. god bless the indies.

Disthron:
Your talk about X-Com got me to thinking how you could retain the fun and strategic aspects of it while leaving some of the more boring aspects behind. At first I thought of something like Mass Effect, where you could pause the action in order to give your AI team mates orders. But then I thought of another game. Valcuria Chronicles, it has the turn based structure but each unit's turn plays out in real time. I think X-Com would slip quite nicely into that formula, in fact the only feature VC doesn't seem to have is the base building. Everything else, researching new equipment, managing your squads load out, raising up there experience, it's all already there.

I guess it's still a lot slower that most games today, and maybe you're a purist and don't wont to add any real time aspects but I think it could be awesome if done right.

There were no boring aspects.

Now leave this place and never return, lest I kill you to death with a spoon.

Totally missed the Legacy of Kain series there. I never quite understood why that one ended. Or turned into combat based crap for that matter...

Wow, I only started to touch gaming 9 years ago and then it was mostly AoE 2: AoK, Red Alert 2, Ceasar 3, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (which was really just AoE with a SW skin, still fun though) yes, I was 11 and my favourite games were strategy and city management. Didn't get any Civ games due to me not liking turn based stuff.

It is interesting though, to look at thy old games and as a to be gamedev it's good to do some research.

Also, Mirror's Edge isn't canceled. There even was an article on this very site about that. It's just in slow developement.

Nitram22:
May I suggest Republic Commando as a game that definitely should have got a sequel.

Yes indeed! This came out in those days when PC had the vast majority of FPS titles (although it also came out on xbox). It was well recieved and in my opinion one of the most entertaining games I've ever played. The chatter between the squadmembers was also neat. Lucas Arts really let themselves go. Went from an awesome game (SW:RC) and made Fraction or whatever it was called which I haven't dared touch due to gameplay vids and reviews.

Also, SW:RC ended with some loose ends, I wanna know what happens!

I emailed Activision about Battlezone:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Technical Support. Unfortunately, we do not have, nor do we provide information concerning future titles. Such information is provided in press releases and covered by various games magazines and blogs. My recommendation would be to follow such a publication for such information.

So, no luck there, boo. Still, I wonder if it's a standard response or if it may indeed be a 'future title'.

Shamus Young:
Experienced Points: Games That Time Forgot

Shamus wonders why some games don't get the franchise they deserve

Read Full Article

Ah, well those are all interesting series...

I remember Starflight well, but it's sequel even better.

Though... As DRM goes it also asked you to look up stuff on a map. XD

The rights to it are a little unclear.

There is a starflight 3 in production, and while it has assistance from one of the game's original designers, it is a fan effort, and seems to have stalled about 5 years ago, with no real progress made.
(http://www.starflight3.org/)

I can't say I've seen any game attempt the kind of thing Starflight does, though I've seen a few that aren't too far removed.

(X3 comes to mind, as does the Battlecruiser 3000AD series - Derek Smart's insane game series that despite a lot of well-founded critisism still exists, and still has stuff based on it being released.)

Oh well. It's a pity these things die out like that.
I can't see anyone making games like that anymore.

Page 2 FTW- two games that shaped my childhood.

I agree that someone should dust off these ideas.

I just want to say that, aside from Rogue and a few text adventures, Protostar was the first real PC game I ever played. I...fucking...loved that game.

Shieldage:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/ Escape Velocity Nova is a sequel running on modern/Windows systems. Check out the plug-ins. There's mods which let you run the original and the previous sequel storylines through reasonable approximations of their old interfaces. Looks like there's also a mod for Star Trek ships...

Oh yeah, I've definitely played that. But the gameplay and graphics are still pretty limited. I don't mind, it has a certain charm, but I'd love to see the idea taken to the nth degree and given a AAA treatment.

So... Am I the only one who noticed that this was about games that don't get sequels/franchises, yet three of the four titles highlighted HAD SEQUELS?!?! Even several?? Bad writing, or at least bad titling. Bad show Escapist, we expect better.

I'll be honest, I didn't really like the Descent games. They were fascinating, to be sure, but I always found true 3D movement in close corridors to be too difficult to master (at least with the control setup I was using).

Magic Carpet on the other hand... was also really difficult, but it was fascinating enough (especially the sequel) to stand up on its own merits. It even had deformable terrain! You erected magic castles and fought off evil wizards and their pet dragons. It was freakin sweet.

I played Star Flight on the Genesis/Mega Drive rather than the PC variant, it's mostly the same in terms of story/what to do but has very little in common with how it's controlled.

Damn amazing game.

Never quite understood why Shogo never saw a sequel. I mean, I knew there was one in works and it was scrapped, but with Monolith's F.E.A.R. games at what, its third, I would like to see a graphically updated sequel of the anime inspired FPS with giant robots.

Who wouldn't?

Wow, Magic Carpet looks like a pretty kick ass game! Someone had commented that it's on the PSN, and if it is I might give it a 'ride'.

Neogeta:
So... Am I the only one who noticed that this was about games that don't get sequels/franchises, yet three of the four titles highlighted HAD SEQUELS?!?! Even several?? Bad writing, or at least bad titling. Bad show Escapist, we expect better.

It says 'games that time forgot', ie not titles that never had a sequel, it's entire sub-genres that have been abandoned with no spiritual successors. While we have a sickening amount of cover-hugging shooters, no one is tapping into the space voyager/carpet flier resource. And besides, those sequels you're pointing out are all things that happened quite a while ago. And fuck, even if Shamus made absolute nonsense, his ramblings would be worth listening to anyway. Take a second and think things out before posting.

SmileyBat:

Neogeta:

It says 'games that time forgot', ie not titles that never had a sequel, it's entire sub-genres that have been abandoned with no spiritual successors. While we have a sickening amount of cover-hugging shooters, no one is tapping into the space voyager/carpet flier resource. And besides, those sequels you're pointing out are all things that happened quite a while ago. And fuck, even if Shamus made absolute nonsense, his ramblings would be worth listening to anyway. Take a second and think things out before posting.

I was beginning to write a well thought out response using quotes from the article to support my point and such, until I re-read your post. (Which I think you should do with the article and tell me that the tone and shunt of it didn't change midway. Which is bed writing, and my point.) Your statement that nonsensical ramblings should still be listened to just because of who said them proved you are beyond the reach of reason and understanding. Perhaps you should take a second and think things out before posting.

And by the way, Games That Time Forgot: Shamus wonders why some games don't get a franchise.

pwned

Couldn't agree with you more about the Starflight series. *points to name* ;)

Me, I just keep waiting for that sequel to Oni.

Hey Shamus,

I think the columns where you talk about which games you love and why are the best!

Guess this makes you a reversed Yahtzee ;)

It's telling that most of these games are older than the average Escapist reader. Yes, there are the rare games like Mirror's Edge, but most good and popular games get a sequel these days.

And about Beyond Good & Evil: the 'not-getting-a-sequel-ness' was entirely valid, since the game sold as crap. I'm happy that a sequel is actually in the making, but from a business point it wouldn't have been strange when that doesn't happen.

im an RTS junkie and the only game of yesteryear i want see resurrected is Homeworld. the fact that Homeworld 2 still holds up graphically is astounding to me and the game play is still sublime if you enjoy watching big ships launching smaller ships that shoot missiles that leaves a trail as it flys towards the enemy.

the mods that are out there for this game that are still being made and supported means there is a die-hard following for the game. I really hope relic gets back to making that series after they exhausted the RTT style of games.

Shamus Young:
Experienced Points: Games That Time Forgot

Shamus wonders why some games don't get the franchise they deserve

Read Full Article

Interestingly enough I read (on a norwegian site) that EA is planning on returning to some of its old titles Like Dungeon Keeper (and Magic Carpet is mentioned in the article)

http://gamer.no/artikler/82110/ea--vare-gamle-spill-kommer-tilbake/

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or