Crysis 2 Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Crysis 2 Review

Until they make a nano-suit for a man of my carriage, this'll have to do.

Read Full Article

stream not found. :(

Hmm the reviews are really praising this...

Looks like I'll probably pick it up eventually, but unfortunately it's been bumped from my 'must have' list by THQ and Bethesda combined...

I've really been enjoying Crysis 2. Probably one of the better shooters I've played in the last couple of years.

Speaking mostly of the multiplayer:
I'd say the most important aspect in favour of the game is the pacing. The gameplay is very much like CoD, but almost every addition makes for a faster game without sacrificing some of the nicer CoD aspects. So low health, high damage, and good accuracy makes tactical movement important, but sprinting, stealth, jump height, ledge-grabbing, and even the more vertical level layout all speed things up considerably. The level layouts are actually some of the best I've seen in an FPS, actually making use of three-dimensional space in a way that feels realistic without any feeling that the third dimension of movement was just tacked on for gameplay.

The only issues I've had have been with the multiplayer servers and stat servers, which have both been having some problems. But really, those are launch problems and will be/have been fixed pretty quickly.

Well, now I'll definitely get this game.

If Crysis 2 falls short in any one key area, it's story. Or maybe it's better to say that the story falls short because of the way it's told. The plot itself might be actually enjoyable. The problem is that all the elements are jumbled together and parceled out seemingly at random. You don't even know who your character is supposed to be until a few hours into the game. Even then your character is defined entirely by what he does, which makes all the accompanying melodrama (not to mention the I-so-saw-that-coming twist towards the end), kind of unsatisfying. The campaign itself clocks in around 10 hours, which is long enough to be satisfying, but not so long that you're not likely to go back and play it a different way.

http://kotaku.com/#!5513872/crysis-2-writer-on-modern-warfare-2-story-jesus-what-have-you-been-doing

"I thought Modern Warfare 2 was an immense disappointment," Morgan told CVG. "It was a massive stepdown from CoD4. What I thought when I played it was, 'Jesus guys, what have you been doing? You've not ramped anything up. The story is worse and the game doesn't really hang together, it's just a bunch of mission levels.'"

"It made no sense. It was totally implausible," Morgan added. "It doesn't resolve. Basically, all the things that bad storytelling does. I just think they were way too impressed with themselves and that's always a danger. It's just unfortunate."

Yeah, the writer doesn't sound like a complete hypocrite or anything...

Regardless, I actually cancelled my pre-order of this game after playing the demo, I'll probably get it when the price drops slightly; as the reviews of the single player sound highly promising.

Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.

HerbertTheHamster:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.

Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...

I don't know, I fail to see how New York is a fresh environment. Been there in plenty of games.

As for the review itself, don't agree that much. Then again I played on the PC, and I was pretty underwhelmed. Especially in the multiplayer. Just felt too much like Call of Duty to me, But with the ability to jump high and go invisible. And they could have done so much more with it. They take the nanosuit, a pretty interesting device, and put it into an uninteresting multilayer experience. There's just so much more you could do with it.

Like a race mode, players race through a City, Mirror's Edge style, and have to use all of the suits powers to navigate it.

Or a predator-type game, where one player has all the suits powers activated(cloak, strength), and "hunts" the other players.

Or Time Attack challenges, to see how fast you can clear an area. Would require expert use of the suit, and could be fun.

But no, they just go for a Call of Duty clone. God dammit.

Haven't played the single-player fully yet, since I just played at a friend's place. But the story was rather fun. Multiplayer was just boring. I'll get it when the price drops.

D_987:

HerbertTheHamster:

This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.

yes, crysis is awesome and i am sitting on box that will not open until i upgrade my hardware in may

Crysis 1 could support 32 players in its MP instead of this measly 16, and the maps were way larger as well. Considering people buy FPS titles these days mostly for the MP, this is downgraded.

I agree with one part of the review, pretty graphics and set pieces are pretty. I also like the idea of switching tactics during battle that actually play different.

I might actually try this game out now, seems like something I'd really enjoy.

Argh! Why did I order this game from Play.com?! If I'd ordered it from somewhere reliable I could be playing it NOW! Seriously, the wait to play this game is horrible, especially since it looks absolutely awesome.

hmm i should play crysis 1 first lol. which i shall do soon, for $10. then buy this when its on special or something.

I'm not buying this story. From what I can tell there are lots of options but I can guarantee in multiplayer it'll be exactly like CoD tactic-less berserk spraying.

Jaime_Wolf:
I've really been enjoying Crysis 2. Probably one of the better shooters I've played in the last couple of years.

Speaking mostly of the multiplayer:
I'd say the most important aspect in favour of the game is the pacing. The gameplay is very much like CoD, but almost every addition makes for a faster game without sacrificing some of the nicer CoD aspects. So low health, high damage, and good accuracy makes tactical movement important, but sprinting, stealth, jump height, ledge-grabbing, and even the more vertical level layout all speed things up considerably. The level layouts are actually some of the best I've seen in an FPS, actually making use of three-dimensional space in a way that feels realistic without any feeling that the third dimension of movement was just tacked on for gameplay.

The only issues I've had have been with the multiplayer servers and stat servers, which have both been having some problems. But really, those are launch problems and will be/have been fixed pretty quickly.

Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about in regards to Crysis.

I'll probably grab this eventually, personally I don't much care for stories anymore. I'd just like a good, fun shooter.

why are the aliens now red instead of blue =P but seriously, ive just finished it, im confused as hell but i bloody enjoyed every min of it... i wish that they had linked back to the first game a bit more... to me now, everything from the first game seems to have been forgotten, apart from prophet

Do note that this is based on the 360 version, thus most complaints about the PC version (poor textures, complete lack of graphics options, sheer laziness in porting) doesn't apply.

So they actually added true stealth kills this time. Good.

I mean, I was happy to use quick buttons to uncloak, switch to strength mode, bash enemies in the back of the head, then switch back to stealth in less than a second, but I like the idea of neck-snapping more.

Need a campaign demo...Badly! There's a lot of stuff coming out...

D_987:

If Crysis 2 falls short in any one key area, it's story. Or maybe it's better to say that the story falls short because of the way it's told. The plot itself might be actually enjoyable. The problem is that all the elements are jumbled together and parceled out seemingly at random. You don't even know who your character is supposed to be until a few hours into the game. Even then your character is defined entirely by what he does, which makes all the accompanying melodrama (not to mention the I-so-saw-that-coming twist towards the end), kind of unsatisfying. The campaign itself clocks in around 10 hours, which is long enough to be satisfying, but not so long that you're not likely to go back and play it a different way.

http://kotaku.com/#!5513872/crysis-2-writer-on-modern-warfare-2-story-jesus-what-have-you-been-doing

"I thought Modern Warfare 2 was an immense disappointment," Morgan told CVG. "It was a massive stepdown from CoD4. What I thought when I played it was, 'Jesus guys, what have you been doing? You've not ramped anything up. The story is worse and the game doesn't really hang together, it's just a bunch of mission levels.'"

"It made no sense. It was totally implausible," Morgan added. "It doesn't resolve. Basically, all the things that bad storytelling does. I just think they were way too impressed with themselves and that's always a danger. It's just unfortunate."

Regardless, I actually cancelled my pre-order of this game after playing the demo, I'll probably get it when the price drops slightly; as the reviews of the single player sound highly promising.

He didn't say he'd tell a good story, merely that it would actually hang together :)

Just played MW2 for the first time and on a pure gaming level, I was satisfied... but there seems to be little doubt that it was a bunch of cool set-pieces linked together by a story that was never in danger of actually making any sort of sense.

After I played it, I thought for several minutes about what had just happened, couldn't make heads nor tails of it, read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, re-read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, read it again... then gave up trying to make any sort of sense of what had happened in the game. Why were they in Brazil... don't know, but it made for a cool level. Why did they attack a Russian gulag... don't know but it made a cool level. Somehow these two things were linked, but why a arms dealer in Brazil would be leading them to Capt. Price does not make sense on any level known to man.

But it was fucking cool.

And, ultimately, that's the problem with MW2. And whatever the problems the Crysis 2 story might have, it sounds as though there actually is one.

I loved it, just wish the sotry could o fbeen told a bit better. Also, the voice acting.. OH LORD THE VOICE ACTING

Ok, 10hr campaign is good, but I still want to know how it performs on PC before I'd spend money on it. The multiplayer demo did not spark my interest at all, I'd only be getting it for the single player and the graphics - here's hoping they see fit to incorporate Dx11 sometime in the near future...

Netrigan:

D_987:

He didn't say he'd tell a good story, merely that it would actually hang together :)

Just played MW2 for the first time and on a pure gaming level, I was satisfied... but there seems to be little doubt that it was a bunch of cool set-pieces linked together by a story that was never in danger of actually making any sort of sense.

After I played it, I thought for several minutes about what had just happened, couldn't make heads nor tails of it, read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, re-read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, read it again... then gave up trying to make any sort of sense of what had happened in the game. Why were they in Brazil... don't know, but it made for a cool level. Why did they attack a Russian gulag... don't know but it made a cool level. Somehow these two things were linked, but why a arms dealer in Brazil would be leading them to Capt. Price does not make sense on any level known to man.

But it was fucking cool.

And, ultimately, that's the problem with MW2. And whatever the problems the Crysis 2 story might have, it sounds as though there actually is one.

1/ they went to brazil to track the dude who provided the munitions used to kill the russian civilians ... hoping it would help them get a clue as to where Makarov would be... not sure if that's how they got the info about Makarov's supposed enemy

2/ they went to the gulag to rescue a mustachioed enemy of Makarov, hoping he might give them some lead to capture him

3/ MW2 storyline was a messed, too bad IW is kinda dead, and I doubt the remnants working on MW3 will have any clue on how to follow-up on the storyline or even have the technical pro-efficiency that IW had. They did upgrade the CoD4 engine beautifully to the one used in MW2, unlike Treyarch.

I assume this is the Xbox 360 review, as Crytek did not provide the PC or PS3 games to reviewers.

It would be very helpful if when people did game reviews they indicated what platform they reviewed the game on.

I know a lot of PC gamers are very disappointed with a lot of aspects of Crysis 2.

HerbertTheHamster:

D_987:

HerbertTheHamster:

This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.

I disagree. Honestly, I think game critics are too harsh these days. I've played a lot of games that score generally around 60-70 that were pretty enjoyable. Not the greatest games but definitely worth a look, despite what critics say.

Standards are so high now, it seems like if something doesn't get a 95 it isn't worth a purchase.

Crysis 1 was one of the best games ive ever played, so either way im going to get this anyway. Glad to see almost all the reviews are positive though.

I was a big fan of the original so it was nice to get a review from someone else who enjoyed it as well.

fullboat:
I assume this is the Xbox 360 review, as Crytek did not provide the PC or PS3 games to reviewers.

It would be very helpful if when people did game reviews they indicated what platform they reviewed the game on.

I know a lot of PC gamers are very disappointed with a lot of aspects of Crysis 2.

If you read the article, it states right at the end end above the product information,

"This review was based on the Xbox 360 version of the game."

I haven't had this much fun in a shooter for a while now. Crysis 2 has a lot of depth in its gameplay for a fast-paced shooter. Considering that Crytek have managed to go multiplatform and still maintain very high quality visuals also makes it a technical achievement.

The story takes time to warm up, but it answers all the fundamentals by the end and actually gives us closure -- unlike the first game.

Netrigan:

Hence the bolded section "The problem is that all the elements are jumbled together and parceled out seemingly at random", the reviewer implies the elements of the story, much like MW2, are jumbled.

Biggest problem for me playing through the story right now is the enemies that can sometimes see you even when you've cloaked before you've gone in the same room as them.

They've flunked a bit on the story too so far as well, which is annoying given the two names behind it. Say what you will of the original game's story, but it was coherent, and I could tell you how I got from the first beach to where I was at the end of the game. Here, I just seem to black out at the end of every section and wake up randomly closer to where I need to be.

I seem to be getting a lot of AI issues also - seems either broken to the point where they can see me when cloaked like I said, or I'm standing right in front of them and they simply walk in the opposite direction. This does seem to be varying wildly from person to person as far as I can tell though.

Still enjoying it.

Oh, and the thing with the PC graphics menu is absurd. 3 presets? And how can it be marked 'high' if its the lowest setting? Still, runs great and looks great.

And yet I still don't care. Nice review but nothing that I saw or read really got me interested enough to go out and buy it.

HerbertTheHamster:

D_987:

HerbertTheHamster:

Hint: score systems are an attempt to objectivise the subjective, I've never even read a book that had these score things on it.

Anyway:
Here are the settings I had placed into my launch options for crysis 2 demo
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Demo\bin32\Crysis2Demo.exe" +cl_fov=90 +r_DrawNearFoV = 90 +pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 90 +g_skipIntro=1

Skip intro and constant FoV of 90, I think all the console commands are still functional, there just isn't an easy, in-game way to do the more basic things (bloom/HDR, AA etc.), because I've heard of people altering the bloom and stuff in Crysis 2.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here