Crysis 2 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Meh, never had any interest in the Crysis series at all, and this review has failed to change my opinion.

Then again maybe I'm just biased because it looks like all they did was take Call of Duty and shove Halo Reach armor powers into it.

There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this game. Nothing at all. Not even graphics. It's a simple modern shooter with some aliens and a nano-suit that essentially plays just like call of duty. So call me a PC fanboy all you want but it's a FACT that Crysis 2 is dumbed down for consoles. Even the interface is consolized for crying out loud! Animations look like they were ripped straight from call of duty. The overall atmosphere and the feel of the game is completely ruined. It feels like any other FPS on the market. I can see why console gamers will like it. It is fresh for consoles. It isn't fresh on PC. PC has Crysis 1 and Warhead. This game is a disgrace in all aspects. All those little things that made Crysis special are now gone.

A.I. is retarded. You don't even need the nano-suit in most cases while in Crysis 1 it was essential. And when you use it the game becomes a walk in the park. Almost literally in some cases where you just walk past enemies while cloaked. And if you shoot one you jut need to wait a few seconds for energy to recharge and cloak again. And they just leave you alone.
Nano-suit is dumbed down. Now you can't sprint without using your super-speed the way you could in Crysis 1. Armor mode and strength mode are combined making the game even easier and less tactical. Binoculars is a nano-suit mode. You can't dual wield weapons. You can't carry more than 2 weapons and an RPG.

The setting is very unimaginative. All of the stuff you hear about the city looking great might be true if you compare Crysis 2 to every other console shooter, CoD primarily. But you have to compare it to it's predecessor and when you do you will realize how unoriginal the setting is. And level design is linear and boring.

Story is dreadful. I don't even know why am I doing things in this game anyway. A mute character gets a suit against his will and knowledge and then he starts doing errands for everyone he meets without asking questions. The mute character in Crysis 2 makes the story even dumber and more meaningless than it already is. You just can't feel any connection to anything that's going on. It just doesn't matter. The story fails to pull you in because even though it's a FIRST PERSON game it feels like you're an outsider who just happened to be there and everything that happens is out of your reach. It's like you can't do anything unless you're told too. And what you're being told doesn't make sense because of the way it's told. It makes the single player pretty much meaningless. And did I mention how the story doesn't make any sense whatsoever? And I have to mention that none of the questions from Crysis 1 were answered. So if you were hoping to find out what happened on the island after the events of Crysis 1 you will be disappointed.

I'm a couple of hours into this game and I still don't understand what's going on.

Netrigan:

D_987:

If Crysis 2 falls short in any one key area, it's story. Or maybe it's better to say that the story falls short because of the way it's told. The plot itself might be actually enjoyable. The problem is that all the elements are jumbled together and parceled out seemingly at random. You don't even know who your character is supposed to be until a few hours into the game. Even then your character is defined entirely by what he does, which makes all the accompanying melodrama (not to mention the I-so-saw-that-coming twist towards the end), kind of unsatisfying. The campaign itself clocks in around 10 hours, which is long enough to be satisfying, but not so long that you're not likely to go back and play it a different way.

http://kotaku.com/#!5513872/crysis-2-writer-on-modern-warfare-2-story-jesus-what-have-you-been-doing

"I thought Modern Warfare 2 was an immense disappointment," Morgan told CVG. "It was a massive stepdown from CoD4. What I thought when I played it was, 'Jesus guys, what have you been doing? You've not ramped anything up. The story is worse and the game doesn't really hang together, it's just a bunch of mission levels.'"

"It made no sense. It was totally implausible," Morgan added. "It doesn't resolve. Basically, all the things that bad storytelling does. I just think they were way too impressed with themselves and that's always a danger. It's just unfortunate."

Yeah, the writer doesn't sound like a complete hypocrite or anything...

Regardless, I actually cancelled my pre-order of this game after playing the demo, I'll probably get it when the price drops slightly; as the reviews of the single player sound highly promising.

He didn't say he'd tell a good story, merely that it would actually hang together :)

Just played MW2 for the first time and on a pure gaming level, I was satisfied... but there seems to be little doubt that it was a bunch of cool set-pieces linked together by a story that was never in danger of actually making any sort of sense.

After I played it, I thought for several minutes about what had just happened, couldn't make heads nor tails of it, read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, re-read the plot synopsis on Wikipedia, read it again... then gave up trying to make any sort of sense of what had happened in the game. Why were they in Brazil... don't know, but it made for a cool level. Why did they attack a Russian gulag... don't know but it made a cool level. Somehow these two things were linked, but why a arms dealer in Brazil would be leading them to Capt. Price does not make sense on any level known to man.

But it was fucking cool.

And, ultimately, that's the problem with MW2. And whatever the problems the Crysis 2 story might have, it sounds as though there actually is one.

They were in Brazil to track down someone linked to Makarov and his weapon supplies. That led them to the gulag because the guy confessed that Makarov wanted someone, namely Price, dead, most likely for his involvement with the death of Zakhaev in Modern Warfare 1, whom Makarov viewed an an idol and martyr.

Why the hell does everyone has such an issue understanding the story of Modern Warfare 2? I don't get it... It's a simple story, if a little convoluted. Am I playing a different game? Gah...

Anyways, I think I may get this when I get a better PC. I saw it in 3D at PAX East and it looked awesome, and I actually kind of enjoyed the demo, so I don't see why not. Better get the first one first, though...

It's not open world. Do it again.

So, sounds like they've simplified the nanosuit a fair bit when it was already simple enough. They've apparently not bothered to put a lot of effort into the story and only ten hours for the single-player campaign? Are Crytek kidding here? I loved Crysis 1, and Crysis Warhead, but I don't think I'll be buying this.

"The game also includes a tactical vision mode that highlights on the screen key locations where certain types of play might be appropriate. It might, for instance, call out a sniping position on a roof, or a subway entrance you can use to sneak around behind your enemies."
Really? And console gamers wonder why PC gamers complain that console versions cause PC franchises to get dumbed down. Looks like Crysis 2 is the perfect illustration of why such complaints are made.

You based your review off the 360 version alone?

Smart one.

Drakmorg:
Meh, never had any interest in the Crysis series at all, and this review has failed to change my opinion.

Then again maybe I'm just biased because it looks like all they did was take Call of Duty and shove Halo Reach armor powers into it.

Crysis was out long before Halo Reach.

Crysis' 'power armour' as you call it, was, therefore, out long before Halo Reach.

Try again.

I want to try it sometime, but play Crysis 1 first. I never got the first, though, because of SecuROM. I don't mind DRM in general, but I don't want a program eating my CPU away.

Delusibeta:
Do note that this is based on the 360 version, thus most complaints about the PC version (poor textures, complete lack of graphics options, sheer laziness in porting) doesn't apply.

I haven't noticed any texture problems yet.

I will say the lack of customisable graphics is a little alloying though; it lets you set the screen resolution and change all the settings in general, but without using console commands you can't set individual components separately. I can run it at max settings with 1680x1050, but hypothetically if I didn't have a fairly good graphics card and I didn't care about the anti-aliasing but I did care about model and texture detail, I wouldn't be able to make that choice to get an 'optimal' graphical experience for me.

Also, the 45 degree FOV is kinda sucky. I like having 90 so it's actually somewhat close to what a human's field of vision is (Although that's still quite far off; A human eyeball's vision covers 155 degrees horizonaly and 125 degrees vertically.).

At least there isn't auto-aim. I don't like auto-aim you can't turn off on any PC version. I'd be insulted if it turned out I've been playing with auto-aim so far.
...Please tell me the PC version either has no auto-aim or has auto-aim you can easily turn off and is forced off in most multiplayer servers...

MGlBlaze:

Delusibeta:
Do note that this is based on the 360 version, thus most complaints about the PC version (poor textures, complete lack of graphics options, sheer laziness in porting) doesn't apply.

I haven't noticed any texture problems yet.

I will say the lack of customisable graphics is a little alloying though; it lets you set the screen resolution and change all the settings in general, but without using console commands you can't set individual components separately. I can run it at max settings with 1680x1050, but hypothetically if I didn't have a fairly good graphics card and I didn't care about the anti-aliasing but I did care about model and texture detail, I wouldn't be able to make that choice to get an 'optimal' graphical experience for me.

Also, the 45 degree FOV is kinda sucky. I like having 90 so it's actually somewhat close to what a human's field of vision is (Although that's still quite far off; A human eyeball's vision covers 155 degrees horizonaly and 125 degrees vertically.).

At least there isn't auto-aim. I'd be insulted if there was auto-aim you couldn't turn off on the PC version.
...Please tell me the PC version either has no auto-aim or has auto-aim you can easily turn off and is forced off in most multiplayer servers...

Rest easy, there is none.

lithium.jelly:
So, sounds like they've simplified the nanosuit a fair bit when it was already simple enough. They've apparently not bothered to put a lot of effort into the story and only ten hours for the single-player campaign? Are Crytek kidding here? I loved Crysis 1, and Crysis Warhead, but I don't think I'll be buying this.

"The game also includes a tactical vision mode that highlights on the screen key locations where certain types of play might be appropriate. It might, for instance, call out a sniping position on a roof, or a subway entrance you can use to sneak around behind your enemies."
Really? And console gamers wonder why PC gamers complain that console versions cause PC franchises to get dumbed down. Looks like Crysis 2 is the perfect illustration of why such complaints are made.

1. They didn't simplify the nanosuit, they simplified the nanosuit interface, instead of the radial menu, you press specific keys to activate the different abilities of the suit. E for Camo, Q for Armor etc ... So the default mode you are in, is separate from Armor mode, turning your character into a real tank in a firefight. I believe Warhead had the same interface, going to re-install it later on tonight. Strength and Speed has been streamlined, and definitely feels more natural than in Crysis. Switching to strength just for the sake of punching people or jumping higher was a real annoyance, sure it took some practice to naturally switch between those modes, but in the long run, it was an annoyance. Crysis 2 version of STR and SPD is definitely much more easier to use when need be. Not to mention the addition of sliding while meleing/shooting is fantastic, as well as the stealth melee kills which is a great and efficient way of dispatching enemies, then going back in stealth mode.

Additionally, the nanosuit can be upgraded, kinda like having perks in CoD MP, you get 3 slots, and 3 options in each, you want your character to run without making noise? Or do you want another feature that highlight the patrol patterns of the enemies? Etc ... That make the nanosuit feel feature-heavy, unlike the relatively simplistic suit in Crysis 1. Replaying that one atm.

2. Going from Windows 95 to 98 to XP to Vista, ever noticed how each OS try to hold your hand by treating you like a baby? That's how GUI are developed, they want to give the user an easy-to-use interface, but that doesn't always mean you need to stick to the information those little popups and help dialogues want you to do. You will always find experts messing around with their OS to improve their experience with it. Like editing MSConfig to prevent some services from launching on startup. Guess what, that's exactly what the new Visor does.

For beginners, they might be overwhelmed with the different options available to them, when handing a combat scenario. This is Crysis, I mean, you could go in all gun-blazing, or find a vantage point and pick off people from a distance, or go in close like the Predator and what them panic as you slit their throats and snap some necks, while they desperately try to locate you. So the Visor, gives them a few choices "Go here if you want to snipe, or why don't your explore this location here?". And guess what, you don't need to follow those instructions, they are just there if you really need them. I am however, not sure if you can hide it, but from a lore/story point of view, it makes sense to have that as a feature, since there is, I believe, an AI assisting you, or embedded within the Nanosuit.

3. The only thing I can say right now, PC Gamers (I believe I fall within this category) are acting like children. z0mg, no DX11 support, z0mg, this game looks great, I am having trouble thinking about this "more, more, better graphics, they need to be better!!!!" attitude some gamers are taking with this game atm (at least, on the steam forums), Crysis 1 was gorgeous granted, + with more fauna and flora, the game is definitely more cpu/gpu extensive than a game set within an urban setting should be. Yet this game engine is definitely optimized, better than the Crysis engine is. It runs smoothly, and look damn fine to my eyes.

It might not have the huge, massive open world environment as crysis, but you definitely go from one action sequence to the next faster than in Crysis. while crysis definitely has a good amount of these combat sequences, from ambushing patrols to convoys and attacking little outposts of Koreans, Crysis 2 makes up with a more cinematic feeling to it, the cutscenes and "quick time events" are well done etc ... The game definitely feels easy on Normal, I would assume I would be more prone to play carefully on Hard, but then again, Crysis was easy on Hard as well if you prepared your assault carefully.

4. About the Story and main protagonist, like someone just recently added, it does feel a bit goofy how he is mute, and follows orders without questioning them, almost as if he was a little doggy. But seriously, Gordon Freeman never spoke one damn word, and he still managed to save Humanity! Give this Prophet look-alike a chance.

5. Also, how did the aliens go from Freezeray to Squid-rinator?

Drakmorg:

Yes, because CoD and Halo were so revolutionary that everything is copying them.

OT: I'm really enjoying this game, just as good, if not better than the original and easier to run on the PC.

MGlBlaze:

There's a user created program for everything from FOV to advanced graphics. rather than use the developer console, use this. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1807934

Crysis 2 is a huge step backward from Crysis 1.

I didn't realize they would make so much cuts for the console development, but they did. For instance, on PC, there are no graphics options. Absolutely none. You can choose from a few presets (e.g. Extreme) and that is all. As a PC game, this is probably the worst entry for lack of customization ever, and that is saying a lot. Second, the Field of View is tremendously awful, just awful. It made me dizzy.

No destructible environments, the levels are very narrow and linear, the AI is poor and it turns into space invaders 95% of the time.

To be perfectly honest, this is an awful game. This would be a great first franchise entry for a company, but as a sequel to one of the greatest PC technical achievements ever, this is a flop. For anyone that doesn't realize this, you are in denial, including the delusional folks at PC Gamer who failed to report on this. Or you are simply who they are catering to with this entry, such as people who enjoy CoD and think it's mediocre mechanics are the greatest technical achievements ever.

I started playing the game, and couldn't finish it. The plot is mostly an incoherent mess, and everything is strung together. Honestly, I was flabbergasted by how mediocre it is.

I've been playing this on the 360 today, and it does look damn good. The textures, however, are really nothing special on the xbox - you'll definitely get much higher resolution textures on the PC, I'd imagine by some distance.

Good game so far! A few things seem kind of weird though. I've read a lot about the AI in this game, and I've found that, playing on Veteran, it's mostly decent - mostly. Enemies react how you'd expect them to react, but they don't ever come up with any cool strategies of their own. After about 25 minutes I think I knew pretty much every AI subroutine, and it's nowhere near as dynamic as say, Halo's AI. As I said, most of the time it's ok, but sometimes (quite frequently) enemies just become *retarded*.

For example, I was on this rooftop sniping at some dudes. One enemy soldier comes up a flight of stairs towards me, runs into a lamppost, and just continues running into the lamppost. His teammates behind him are shooting at me, and they end up killing him lol. Future products of America's education system right there.

One thing that REALLY annoys me is the narrow field of view. This is ok when you're panning your camera around taking in the view, but when some asshole alien knocks you over, the tight viewing angle makes it unnecessarily difficult to aim at close range. I find that I'll often swing around and pan right past the alien, either that or he just fills the whole fucking field of view. The controls aren't the smoothest either, but it's good enough.

I'd say that was an accurate review.

I'll probably snap this up when it goes on sale.

Here is a metacritic user review I found, that pretty much sums up all the major flaws with this sequel:

(user: deskrit) http://www.metacritic.com/user/deskrit
Lets get this out of the way: graphically speaking, Crysis 2 is noticeably behind the original, both artistically and technically. This should not be a surprise given the console oriented nature of the title. A side effect that has been turned into part of the games advertising is that "it runs better than Crysis 1 because of the optimizations". This is not true, it runs better because the game is so much smaller in scope and the fidelity has been reduced. I will also point out that the entire graphical options menu has been removed, replaced with 3 presets ala Metro 2033. Make of that what you will. (SyphonX input: actually, Metro 2033 has a bunch of customization options.)

The worst aspect, though, comes from the console oriented gameplay. Gone is the intuitive nano-suit from the original game, replaced by what boils down to a handful of hot keyed spells with some upgrades. Strength and speed are now "automatic" which, gameplay wise, means they are no longer present; your jump and sprint are now equivalent to the original strength and speed. The cloak and armor work more or less the same, but the means by which you pick them has been changed to a simple hotkey instead of the radial "jinking" of the first game(which had options for both, as well as combination keys for activation), which cuts the possibility of those awesome predator style murder fests that you might have enacted, or watched on youtube. Those wont be happening anymore. Partly because of the suit, mainly because of the layout and philosophy of the game. The entire game just feels alot more homogenized.

The levels and engagements are totally linear now, there are only a handful of encounters that have multiple approaches. You no longer have any real tactical choice, but there is the illusion of it by means of very deliberate, obvious, and caged approaches that never go beyond "forward charge with assault weapon down street with plenty of overturned cars to duck behind" or "obviously open building window with sniper ammo in the closet". That's pretty much it. There is no sneaking, no grabbing a guy in cloak, jumping on a building and throwing him into the ocean before any of his buddies can react. No planting bombs on a roadway used by a jeep, waiting in the forest for it to come by and BOOM. No cloaking behind a rock and firing a silenced rifle bullet into the gas tank of a passing truck, and watching while the crew runs screaming into the ocean before picking off the couple of guys who survived.

The sprawling jungle is gone, replaced by a cityscape that would have a hard time fitting its entirety into the first section of the original game. This is a console shooter ported to PC with the word Crysis stamped on the box. It is as enjoyable as any other game of this genre, perhaps one of the better ones in fact, but dont be fooled by the pedigree. This is not the Crysis 2 you thought it would be.

A minor critique, but the achievements in this game are fairly disappointing. There's huge scope for ridiculous achievements, given all the cool shit you can do with the nano suit, but the achievements are mostly just "you beat level 1" and "you killed 5 dudes with a pistol".

I couldn't care about any of the things that most PC gamers are bitching about, my main problem is that they removed Strength and speed mode, some people will say it streamlined it but it actually made it worse. If you get used to switching suit modes in crysis 1(which wasn't that hard) you could do some amazing things that you can't do in crysis 2 because of the removal of strength and speed.

HerbertTheHamster:

D_987:

HerbertTheHamster:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.

Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...

This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.

Maybe the game is just NOT average?

hmm, im quite skeptical with this review (and others).
i immediately cancelled my pre-order after trying out the demo which is Crysis Of Duty 2.

i mean, i LOVED the original! one of the prettiest and best FPS ive ever played. And now the nano powers got nerfed to invisibility and armour only (i guess its because controllers doesnt have that much buttons). No quick save? seriously? that means almost no room to test out various approaches on enemy bases, no fun! Yes it has sprint, but compared with the max-speed in C1, its like your playing as Usain Bolt rather than The Flash. No max-strength, no more satisfaction when you jump up a huge obstacle when turning on the max-strength like before. And now your playing as Alcatraz, the hell happened to Nomad?!

what the hell is going on with sequels this year? definitely gonna wait for a HUGE sale on this one, because im sure i wont regret not playing it now.

/waiting for Yahtzee to review this. And DA2 as well.

Wicky_42:
Ok, 10hr campaign is good, but I still want to know how it performs on PC before I'd spend money on it. The multiplayer demo did not spark my interest at all, I'd only be getting it for the single player and the graphics - here's hoping they see fit to incorporate Dx11 sometime in the near future...

It run quite well on my 4 year old machine.
Core2Quad 2.66 GHz
2GB of ram
ATi 5770 1GB

Run it on very high on 1440x900 (I have a relatively small monitor) with no hiccups at all.
At least early in the game

SyphonX:
Here is a metacritic user review I found, that pretty much sums up all the major flaws with this sequel:

(user: deskrit) http://www.metacritic.com/user/deskrit

The worst aspect, though, comes from the console oriented gameplay. Gone is the intuitive nano-suit from the original game, replaced by what boils down to a handful of hot keyed spells with some upgrades. Strength and speed are now "automatic" which, gameplay wise, means they are no longer present; your jump and sprint are now equivalent to the original strength and speed. The cloak and armor work more or less the same, but the means by which you pick them has been changed to a simple hotkey instead of the radial "jinking" of the first game(which had options for both, as well as combination keys for activation), which cuts the possibility of those awesome predator style murder fests that you might have enacted, or watched on youtube. Those wont be happening anymore. Partly because of the suit, mainly because of the layout and philosophy of the game. The entire game just feels alot more homogenized.

radial power selection in Crysis 1 is good?

Using that radial menu is extremely annoying and unintuitive, the moment i realize i can activate cloak by double tapping crouch I never used that radial menu again.

Alright, Steve, I know you respond to questions, so, yeah...

Steve Butts:
are as tired of Call of Duty clones as I am

Which CoD clones? What are those infinite CoD clones everyone is talking about, apart from MoH and Homefront?

OT: So, the story sucks, huh. Guess that trash-talking the writer did was only that, trash-talking.

Game is pretty enjoyable, besides some bugs... AI really looks somehow broken, enemy soldiers are acting in weird way (like soldier, who is away about 200 metres sees me and shoots me for a few minutes, but those 10 metres away from me (however below) don't notice me at all... where is so called "I heard shots" thing? Not to mention the fact of soldiers running into objects or into themselves... AI in Crysis 1 was for sure much better, I don't remember any of those problems

And my favourite bug, the space-wrapping shotgun :D
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7058/crysisg.jpg

HerbertTheHamster:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.

After reading Eurogamer's review and their Digital Foundry article, it really does seem like a 6/10 game.

When I see 8/10 I am rarely impressed. I only buy AAA titles now, I can't afford to take the risk with games that are getting such mixed reviews. I'll prob rent this, but it won't be a first week buy.

My PS3 collection now is Demon Souls, MGS4, MvC3. Unchartered 2, MW2, Arkham Asylum.

Oh but Steve, didn't you know? Wood is stronger than anything when put into door form! :D

m72_ar:
Using that radial menu is extremely annoying and unintuitive, the moment i realize i can activate cloak by double tapping crouch I never used that radial menu again.

OMG YOU CAN DO THAT?!? I HAVE NOT LIVED YET. Excuse me, I must leave that I might live a little. ;D

Raiyan 1.0:
Crysis 1 could support 32 players in its MP instead of this measly 16, and the maps were way larger as well. Considering people buy FPS titles these days mostly for the MP, this is downgraded.

But crysis 1's multiplayer was crap....

ZeroMachine:

They were in Brazil to track down someone linked to Makarov and his weapon supplies. That led them to the gulag because the guy confessed that Makarov wanted someone, namely Price, dead, most likely for his involvement with the death of Zakhaev in Modern Warfare 1, whom Makarov viewed an an idol and martyr.

Why the hell does everyone has such an issue understanding the story of Modern Warfare 2? I don't get it... It's a simple story, if a little convoluted. Am I playing a different game? Gah...

Constant narrative switches in Act I & II and highly implausible plot developments will do that to you.

Having the weapon supplier give them the name of a guy that Makarov wants to kill... who just so happens to be your lost Captain from the first game... who doesn't actually have information needed to get to Makarov... but whose sideways thinking saves the day.

That's not a logical progression. That's a writer desperately making pieces fit. There's a reason why truth is stranger than fiction... we demand out fiction make sense.

As legend goes, all of the set pieces of Mission Impossible II were put together *before* anyone wrote a script. Likewise, it's a pretty cool movie, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. MW2 is not so much a story that was written, but a story that was script doctored.

SyphonX:
Crysis 2 is a huge step backward from Crysis 1.

I didn't realize they would make so much cuts for the console development, but they did. For instance, on PC, there are no graphics options. Absolutely none. You can choose from a few presets (e.g. Extreme) and that is all. As a PC game, this is probably the worst entry for lack of customization ever, and that is saying a lot. Second, the Field of View is tremendously awful, just awful. It made me dizzy.

No destructible environments, the levels are very narrow and linear, the AI is poor and it turns into space invaders 95% of the time.

To be perfectly honest, this is an awful game. This would be a great first franchise entry for a company, but as a sequel to one of the greatest PC technical achievements ever, this is a flop. For anyone that doesn't realize this, you are in denial, including the delusional folks at PC Gamer who failed to report on this. Or you are simply who they are catering to with this entry, such as people who enjoy CoD and think it's mediocre mechanics are the greatest technical achievements ever.

I started playing the game, and couldn't finish it. The plot is mostly an incoherent mess, and everything is strung together. Honestly, I was flabbergasted by how mediocre it is.

ImprovizoR:
There is absolutely nothing remarkable about this game. Nothing at all. Not even graphics. It's a simple modern shooter with some aliens and a nano-suit that essentially plays just like call of duty. So call me a PC fanboy all you want but it's a FACT that Crysis 2 is dumbed down for consoles. Even the interface is consolized for crying out loud! Animations look like they were ripped straight from call of duty. The overall atmosphere and the feel of the game is completely ruined. It feels like any other FPS on the market. I can see why console gamers will like it. It is fresh for consoles. It isn't fresh on PC. PC has Crysis 1 and Warhead. This game is a disgrace in all aspects. All those little things that made Crysis special are now gone.

A.I. is retarded. You don't even need the nano-suit in most cases while in Crysis 1 it was essential. And when you use it the game becomes a walk in the park. Almost literally in some cases where you just walk past enemies while cloaked. And if you shoot one you jut need to wait a few seconds for energy to recharge and cloak again. And they just leave you alone.
Nano-suit is dumbed down. Now you can't sprint without using your super-speed the way you could in Crysis 1. Armor mode and strength mode are combined making the game even easier and less tactical. Binoculars is a nano-suit mode. You can't dual wield weapons. You can't carry more than 2 weapons and an RPG.

The setting is very unimaginative. All of the stuff you hear about the city looking great might be true if you compare Crysis 2 to every other console shooter, CoD primarily. But you have to compare it to it's predecessor and when you do you will realize how unoriginal the setting is. And level design is linear and boring.

Story is dreadful. I don't even know why am I doing things in this game anyway. A mute character gets a suit against his will and knowledge and then he starts doing errands for everyone he meets without asking questions. The mute character in Crysis 2 makes the story even dumber and more meaningless than it already is. You just can't feel any connection to anything that's going on. It just doesn't matter. The story fails to pull you in because even though it's a FIRST PERSON game it feels like you're an outsider who just happened to be there and everything that happens is out of your reach. It's like you can't do anything unless you're told too. And what you're being told doesn't make sense because of the way it's told. It makes the single player pretty much meaningless. And did I mention how the story doesn't make any sense whatsoever? And I have to mention that none of the questions from Crysis 1 were answered. So if you were hoping to find out what happened on the island after the events of Crysis 1 you will be disappointed.

Seriously why can't people just focus on the good aspects of the game instead of the negative ones, like the great graphics, weapons and interface and all.... :/

Wicky_42:
Ok, 10hr campaign is good, but I still want to know how it performs on PC before I'd spend money on it. The multiplayer demo did not spark my interest at all, I'd only be getting it for the single player and the graphics - here's hoping they see fit to incorporate Dx11 sometime in the near future...

It's standards 2006 graphics shitport tripe. Should run on your microwave by now.

If all reviewers are saying exactly the same, it's probably whispered into their ears by a marketing director.

cainx10a:
4. About the Story and main protagonist, like someone just recently added, it does feel a bit goofy how he is mute, and follows orders without questioning them, almost as if he was a little doggy. But seriously, Gordon Freeman never spoke one damn word, and he still managed to save Humanity! Give this Prophet look-alike a chance.

So far this is my biggest gripe with the game as well, especially because Crysis 1 did this beautifully well. Thanks to it staying in first person view, bar some loading screens, the story flowed very well despite being not all that special. It made the whole thing very immersive.

Crysis 1 took the Half Life road, which in my opinion is the best way of telling a first person (shooter) story, barely ever really cutting you out of the action. Crysis 2 however, despite not even being half-way through, is already doing that a lot. They pretty much completely skipped the tunnel beneath Wall Street Church, all you get is a little tactical thing ala CoD showing you were you traveled. And that's just one example. Real shame.

MJpoland:
Game is pretty enjoyable, besides some bugs... AI really looks somehow broken, enemy soldiers are acting in weird way (like soldier, who is away about 200 metres sees me and shoots me for a few minutes, but those 10 metres away from me (however below) don't notice me at all... where is so called "I heard shots" thing? Not to mention the fact of soldiers running into objects or into themselves... AI in Crysis 1 was for sure much better, I don't remember any of those problems

And my favourite bug, the space-wrapping shotgun :D
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7058/crysisg.jpg

I had a little bug for a while that every time I wanted to look through my K-VOLT's sights the gun went all warpy and twitchy for a second or so, like Alexander was practicing his Gun Kata or something.

I don't recognise that AI thingy though. Soldiers were pretty observant with me, and each time I shot someone they checked up on him after a few seconds, going all "Please come in!" and switching to their alert mode, spotting me in Cloak mode more than once.

You're right about the bumping into things though. I had a group of 3 alien grunts that were apparently clusterfucked together somehow. Sure was a perfect rocket opportunity. Shame that wasted 300 nano-catalyst. But Crysis 1 wasn't free of AI issues either:

It was also incredibly easy to abuse the cloak function. Them Koreans really needed some glasses.

Asehujiko:
If all reviewers are saying exactly the same, it's probably whispered into their ears by a marketing director.

Or, you know, they agree. Just a guess.

Serving UpSmiles:
Seriously why can't people just focus on the good aspects of the game instead of the negative ones, like the great graphics, weapons and interface and all.... :/

Because all of the things you mentioned are worse then the first game?

Cowabungaa:
Or, you know, they agree. Just a guess.

And they all conveniently ignored exactly the same problems like this being a downgrade from crysis 1, the lack of customization, modding support and being a large lump of console cancer in general by sheer coincidence?

Asehujiko:
And they all conveniently ignored exactly the same problems like this being a downgrade from crysis 1, the lack of customization, modding support and being a large lump of console cancer in general by sheer coincidence?

I don't know about the modding support, but you are at least right about the customisation thing. It's rather silly that we don't have proper graphical sliders and all that jazz to optimise performance.

However, I'd say saying that it's a 'large lump of console cancer' is an overreaction. The fact that the interface is streamlined (definitely not a downgrade in my view) is not so much a console thing, works brilliant on the PC as well, the fact that our multiplayer still works with dedicated servers and a proper lobby ain't a console thing either and the fact that they screwed up the narrative (which they did address) isn't to blame on consoles either. I also don't even nearly agree that this Crysis 2 is '2006 graphics shitport tripe', where you got that from is a mystery to me.

As for the rest, I'm having a blast with this.

10 hours huh? Not worth it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or