Crysis 2 Review

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

HerbertTheHamster:

D_987:

HerbertTheHamster:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.

Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...

This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.

because getting a C is better then getting an F?

ninjajoeman:

HerbertTheHamster:

D_987:

This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.

because getting a C is better then getting an F?

The reviews are less detailed and less thoughtful.

Hey the game was great! I personally enjoyed it, but some haters people didnt like it so imma gonna gief it 9/10!!! Thats gotta place it right next to ... you get the idea.

hmm i think i will get this when the price drops, maybe by a third at least

Irridium:
Like a race mode, players race through a City, Mirror's Edge style, and have to use all of the suits powers to navigate it.

Or a predator-type game, where one player has all the suits powers activated(cloak, strength), and "hunts" the other players.

Or Time Attack challenges, to see how fast you can clear an area. Would require expert use of the suit.

goddamit man why arent u designing games urself!!! those ideas sound awesome.

Baneat:

Anyway:
Here are the settings I had placed into my launch options for crysis 2 demo
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Demo\bin32\Crysis2Demo.exe" +cl_fov=90 +r_DrawNearFoV = 90 +pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 90 +g_skipIntro=1

Skip intro and constant FoV of 90, I think all the console commands are still functional, there just isn't an easy, in-game way to do the more basic things (bloom/HDR, AA etc.), because I've heard of people altering the bloom and stuff in Crysis 2.

One can create an autoexec.cfg file to define graphics settings for the game - a chap called Wasdie has created a little app to do just that ...

The image links to further info if anyone's interested.

s_h_a_d_o:

Baneat:

Anyway:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Demo\bin32\Crysis2Demo.exe" +cl_fov=90 +r_DrawNearFoV = 90 +pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 90 +g_skipIntro=1

Skip intro and constant FoV of 90, I think all the console commands are still functional, there just isn't an easy, in-game way to do the more basic things (bloom/HDR, AA etc.), because I've heard of people altering the bloom and stuff in Crysis 2.

One can create an autoexec.cfg file to define graphics settings for the game - a chap called Wasdie has created a little app to do just that ...

I use this now :) but at the time of writing he hadn't made this great tool, supposedly an offocial crytek implementation of this will arrive soon.

1.6 for that tool's out now, it adds "Extreme" settings to each of those variables.

I bet people who bought Homefront are kicking themselves in the head.

This game is fantastic..

Irridium:
I don't know, I fail to see how New York is a fresh environment. Been there in plenty of games.

Haven't played the single-player fully yet, since I just played at a friend's place. But the story was rather fun. Multiplayer was just boring. I'll get it when the price drops.

Nuff said.

New York has been used a little, films are far more guilty of this. What games are you referring to exactly?

Besides, this is a very good take on what a ruined and nearly abandoned New York would feel like to fight in, IMO.

I love the game, really do. I never really like COD, and this does a very good job of realising the best parts of its competitor and making some things their own and doing away with lame tactics and shoddy play being shockingly effective.

Chuck in a story which surpasses any cod game(IMO) and you've got a great title, definitely worth entry fee. Not to mention, the graphics make EVERYTHING else out now look like wank.

mechanixis:

Thank you, Crytek. In a market saturated with gritty, brown, one-dimensional shooters, Crysis 2 is a refreshing alternative.

What? What grittier and browner games than Crysis 2 are saturating the market, exactly?

I'm sorry, but this strawman of the Horrible Brown Video Game is really starting to get under my skin. Crysis 2 is a first-person shooter about a man in a robot suit who fights aliens and PMCs to protect America. In what way is that not the blandest, most overdone thing possible? Why is it forgiven for being the illegitimate child of Halo and Modern Warfare because it includes the color green?

Steve has listed some from the last 2 years, but, for one thing, the game isn't actually saturated in brown/bland colour schemes. Also, the robot suit makes such a huge difference I can only assume you've not played the game. Being able to jump an entire story, turn invisible, kick cars at people or cover yourself in armor makes a huge difference over basically being a soldier. Which HAS been done to death, you have to admit that.

Besides, the vast majority of shooters these days have begun blending into a super-realistic cover heavy mish mash of everyone trying to make the 125607234587 dollars that MW2 did. Crysis 2 is a breath of fresh air, especially in the multiplayer.

Unfortunately it sounds like Crytek has moved in the exact opposite direction from what made the first Crysis such a great game for me. Shortened singleplayer with much more linear gameplay, more "console-friendly" controls and modes of operation for the nanosuit, low rez graphics and lower graphic requirements overall. A big focus on multiplayer, which I could care less about.

I liked Crysis better than Warhead because of the open-world sandbox play, the ability to tackle a scenario using a variety of tactics, angle of approach, and weapons. There were objectives to meet, sure, but I could perform them on my timetable and have fun without cutscenes interupting my play every fifteen minutes. It sounds like Crysis2 has gone even further in the wrong direction.

*sigh*. Well, it sounds to me like another great PC franchise afflicted by multiplatform design and constraints. Like DA2, it's going on the "wait until it's on the bargain rack and heavily discounted before buying" shelf.

weird. In the beta/demo I felt like it was a CoD clone

Tin Man:

Irridium:
I don't know, I fail to see how New York is a fresh environment. Been there in plenty of games.

Haven't played the single-player fully yet, since I just played at a friend's place. But the story was rather fun. Multiplayer was just boring. I'll get it when the price drops.

Nuff said.

New York has been used a little, films are far more guilty of this. What games are you referring to exactly?

Here's the games I've played that were set in New York:
The Warriors
World in Conflict
Prototype
Spider Man(pretty much all the games, but the ones I've played are the PS1 game, the PS2 games, and Web of Shadows)
Freedom Fighters
Max Paine 1+2
The Darkness
Deus Ex
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Max Paine 1+2
True Crime: New York City
The Godfather 1+2

And now for games based in cities that are closely based on New York.
GTA 3
GTA IV
Mafia 2
Infamous

Games I haven't played that I know are set in New York:
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Syphon Filter 1+2
Legendary
Alone in the Dark

So yeah, while quite a few of those games are great, I'm sick and damn tired of New York.

s_h_a_d_o:

Baneat:

Anyway:

One has to wonder why the hell that wasn't in the final game in the first place.

Raiyan 1.0:
Crysis 1 could support 32 players in its MP instead of this measly 16, and the maps were way larger as well. Considering people buy FPS titles these days mostly for the MP, this is downgraded.

2 things, there are loads of people that still play FPS games for the single player (I play for both, depends on the game but for the most part I am more interested in the SP)

Crysis 1 was PC exclusive, running on future computers with dedicated servers, with maps 3-4 times the size of the ones in crysis 2.

Crysis 2 is on the consoles, no dedicated servers(as far as i know) which makes it a lot harder to fit 32 players into a single map, not that you would want to when the maps are that small. Again the map size has to do with the constraints of the consoles.

If your problems are with the games multiplayer be pointing the finger at the consoles.

Irridium:

Tin Man:

Irridium:

Nuff said.

Here's the games I've played that were set in New York:
The Warriors
World in Conflict
Prototype
Spider Man(pretty much all the games, but the ones I've played are the PS1 game, the PS2 games, and Web of Shadows)
Freedom Fighters
Max Paine 1+2
The Darkness
Deus Ex
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Max Paine 1+2
True Crime: New York City
The Godfather 1+2

And now for games based in cities that are closely based on New York.
GTA 3
GTA IV
Mafia 2
Infamous

Games I haven't played that I know are set in New York:
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Syphon Filter 1+2
Legendary
Alone in the Dark

So yeah, while quite a few of those games are great, I'm sick and damn tired of New York.

Touche sir. Touche. I haven't heard of some or played most of those, but I respect the effort. Don't get me wrong, I too am a bit sick of New York as a whole, which is why I kind of enjoy it being in ruins this time round =p. Kind of like New Raccoon City in a way...

TheComedown:

Raiyan 1.0:
Crysis 1 could support 32 players in its MP instead of this measly 16, and the maps were way larger as well. Considering people buy FPS titles these days mostly for the MP, this is downgraded.

2 things, there are loads of people that still play FPS games for the single player (I play for both, depends on the game but for the most part I am more interested in the SP)

Crysis 1 was PC exclusive, running on future computers with dedicated servers, with maps 3-4 times the size of the ones in crysis 2.

Crysis 2 is on the consoles, no dedicated servers(as far as i know) which makes it a lot harder to fit 32 players into a single map, not that you would want to when the maps are that small. Again the map size has to do with the constraints of the consoles.

If your problems are with the games multiplayer be pointing the finger at the consoles.

There are dedicated servers on pc.

Thank you, Crytek. In a market saturated with gritty, brown, one-dimensional shooters, Crysis 2 is a refreshing alternative.

It's true actually, it doesn't remind me at all of some other shooters... (yes it was sarcasm)

Tubez:

TheComedown:

Raiyan 1.0:

Yes I know this. I own the PC version. I don't see your point as I stated before putting 32 players into the maps they have in Crysis 2 would turn into a massive cluster fuck.

TheComedown:

Tubez:

TheComedown:

Yes I know this. I own the PC version. I don't see your point as I stated before putting 32 players into the maps they have in Crysis 2 would turn into a massive cluster fuck.

My bad, I misread and though you said that there was no dedicated servers on pc

"One of the most enjoyable shooters I've played in several months."?

Really? In months? How noncommittal can you get? That's like saying, "Hey Dorothy, you're one of the hottest girls I've kissed in months." What does "one of" mean? Do you mean one of the ten best shooters, one hundred best shooters, ten billion best shooters? This statement is supposed to be your barebones assessment of the game and it falls flat because it's phenomenally not committed. You might as well say, "I really, kind of, not very much, could of, possibly liked or disliked the game."

"I get the feeling it's not the plot, but the way its' been told."

Why don't you know? To write a review you need to formulate an opinion, but it sounds like you haven't thought much about it. The plot isn't that great and you don't have a clue why is not good critiquing. Think about why it works and why it doesn't, make a review about it and you'll be awesome.

Crysis 1 was a fantastic looking shooter that played well and was very very good. Crysis 2 is a diluted version of it and is merely mediocre. for all the console scrubs i'm sure it will be le shit, but if you played the first game on PC it will be a kick in the balls. NOT WORTH 60 BUCKS!

SteelStallion:

HerbertTheHamster:

D_987:

I disagree. Honestly, I think game critics are too harsh these days. I've played a lot of games that score generally around 60-70 that were pretty enjoyable. Not the greatest games but definitely worth a look, despite what critics say.

Standards are so high now, it seems like if something doesn't get a 95 it isn't worth a purchase.

One sticks out in my mind. Aliens vs Predator, early 2010 release. Yahtzee hated it, but this didn't surprise or deter me. My problem was Gamespot. They gave it a 5.5/10. I found the game to be amazingly fun, especially as the Alien, and will pick it up again at random and play through one of the campaigns, and have amazing fun along the way.

It's just like some typical FPS games which doesnt worth 60 euro...maybe I can give it a try when the price drops after several months..

I don't get why the story focused on Prophet so much, he was never all that interesting. They had the right idea when they made Crysis: Warhead and based the entire game around the guy from Transporter. Anyway, graphics beautiful, gameplay varied, Multiplayer can go up itself, the end.

Just picked it up...this is a beautiful looking game!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here