The Big Picture: Captains Courageous

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Captains Courageous

Captain Marvel, meet Captain Marvel.

Watch Video

Another comic episode. Interesting enough, now I know more stuff.

MovieBob:
So now you know that stuff
Welcome to my head

Your head is messed-up Bob
But then again so are comic books.

Am I the only one who wants to see Bob and Linkara team up to do one of these "Comics are Weird" episodes?

I kinda dug Marvel's Captain Marvel back in the day. And knew that "Shazam" was the original Capt. Marvel, but never bothered looking up why Marvel could use the name and not DC. Thanks for the sum up. :)

Those last forty seconds left me sitting here with my mouth hanging open.

This kinda thing is what poisons me against comics with any more than two years of back-continuity.

Shit just gets stupid.

Bob. I'm going to stop watching your shorts if you keep filling my mind with UTTERLY useless information. Seriously. I've probably unlearned something important to make room for that shite.

MovieBob:
Welcome to my head

No offense man, but this place is weird...

Good episode Bob, you actually make comics interesting. I wish you could do an episode on Matt Howarth and Those Annoying Post Brothers - perhaps an episode on multiple dimensions or alternate realities.

Well that was a great though. Comics are so complex...

great video this week, Bob, I always like it when you talk about comics especially those not well known to the general community.

PS. you should totally do a Ms. Marvel episode, that would be awesome.

Hm so apparently you can name your child Marvel and he/she will automatically have the powers.

Also Hillbilly Marvel?

I read comic books my whole life, but Captain Marvel (or Shazam!) have always been lame to me. A poor man's Superman.

Also, well done by not getting the copyright for Captain Marvel DC, jesus.

Also AGAIN, well done not replying to the criticism from last week. I thought for sure you would have Bob.

on one level your comics are weird videos make me want to get into comics, and then on another you remind me that comics are weird... bunny marvel?!

hurricanejbb:
Am I the only one who wants to see Bob and Linkara team up to do one of these "Comics are Weird" episodes?

I think that such an episode would be simply
*puts on sunglasses*
Marvelous
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Good video, but I have to ask why you named it with a reference to that movie?

That is an epic backstory. Shazam is an acronym-- I'm gonna impress some friends of mine with that knowledge. Good episode.

Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury

Note that, just from looking at the Z and M alone, they switched from the Greek and the Roman names of the gods. Make up your mind there!

this video explains why I only read comics with no previous continuity .

Hey Bob, another interesting video. I look forward to these every week though. However, lately I have found myself thinking at the end of your episodes, "so what?". I feel like when you first started this segment you were making points and giving ideas. Now it almost seems like your just reading a wikipedia page. I think you have some interesting topics but I would love to see more of an argument or idea being brought forth in your videos. Just my opinion though, your the one who got a show on the escapist, you may do with it as you please. Good episode though.

While I did know those two backstories while not in dept but the tall, small, hillbilly and fat Marvels caught me off guard. LOL Hillbilly Marvel? No wonder those four are not in the present day comics.

GamemasterAnthony:
Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury

Note that, just from looking at the Z and M alone, they switched from the Greek and the Roman names of the gods. Make up your mind there!

well shajam and shazah don't have quite the same ring to it.

So why is his nickname MovieBob and not PrettyMuchEverythingBob?

Wait, so the "shazam" Captain Marvel isn't owned by Marvel?

Funny you should mention his obscurity. A friend of mine loaned me Marvel's "Earth X" series: CM's body switching plays a big role in the later chapters and, towards the end, CM essentially becomes God. Kinda funny how that worked out.

Every one gets a +1 to Knowledge(Comics)

Another great job Bob!!!
But I'm starting to think that maybe "The Big Picture" should just be re-branded as a comics only video series.
A good number of the episodes are already under the "Comic Are Weird" sub-series, and those episodes are not only the most interesting but also the best in terms of information since your really seem to know your shit when it comes to comics.
Just something to think about.

yup....................... comics really are weird

Is Marvel REALLY so desperate to keep the trademarks to "Captain Marvel" that they're willing to make up stories that no one cares about just to keep the name?

Either way, DC's Captain Marvel seems WAY better, and has a much more awesome costume!

Alright Bob, I appreciate these episodes and realize this is your soapbox but... Could we step out of the Comic Book store for a bit?

Along with comics, the recent animation and video game releases that feature captain marvel also contradict himself, in the captain marvel animation, our hero sees shazam once and then can never see him again, while in the video game Mortal Kombat vs Dc universe shows there is some sort of temple. Also in the animation captain marvel is very confident and full of power equaling his strength with that of super man while in the video game, he takes him self as weaker than super man, and that super man is the god that will save humanity, while captain marvel with equal strength can't so much as lift a finger.

HankMan:

MovieBob:
Welcome to my head

Your head is messed-up Bob
But then again so are comic books.

One day things will get really weird, when japanese manga enters this show. I knew about the dispute, but not about how weird was Cp Marvel (both) comics were.

Wow. And here I was fully convinced they made up the Marvel family solely for that one comic where Bat-mite and Mr.Ihavenofuckingideahowtospellhisname (the Superman villain) travel through the different DC dimensions cracking jokes and killing all superheroes and villains with weaponized Wile E. Coyote props.

Yeah, they stuck Captain Mar-vell in the recent Avengers cartoon for an episode. Marvel aren't going to win, but they'll never say die.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here