Editor's Note: Going With The Flow

Going With The Flow

The birds are angry that so-called "core" gamers insist on dismissing the fun they could be having by playing "casual" games.

Read Full Article

Russ Pitts:
People who have never touched a two-hand controller may call you and me "hardcore," and we, in turn, may call them "casual," but at the end of the day we are all gamers.

No, we're not. At least, not unless you also want to include everyone that's ever played any kind of game, including noughts and crosses (so, EVERYONE that's ever lived), in the term 'gamer'. In which case your article and indeed magazine miss the overwhelming majority of gaming and focus only on one tiny part.

If you're interested in accurate descriptions rather than boosting an industry that pays your wages, however, you might argue that there is a difference between what you call "hardcore" gaming and casual gaming, and that difference is encapsulated in the word 'gamer'. The difference is between those people who occasionally play videogames and those for whom gaming is a hobby. It doesn't have to be a particularly prominent hobby, but if you consider it a hobby, you're a gamer. You can play exclusively casual games and still be a gamer (it'd be weird, but very possible) but only if doing this is one of your hobbies. If you just play your phone games while waiting for XYZ or on the train, GTFO, you aren't a gamer.

Incidentally, the argument presented in this editor's note is quite embarrassing given your usual high standard. Boiled down to the core it goes: I am a gamer (lots of accurate justification). I got and enjoyed Angry Birds so much I displayed signs of addiction to it. Therefore people who kill dead time by playing phone games instead of texting/staring into space are gamers.

Sikachu:
words ...

Thanks for illustrating my point. ;)

Also, lighten up. You'll live longer.

Russ Pitts:
Editor's Note: Going With The Flow

The birds are angry that so-called "core" gamers insist on dismissing the fun they could be having by playing "casual" games.

Read Full Article

So far the games I play on the Ipod (Iphone plans cost too much for me) are usually physics related, with the exception of Bakery Story because it's food is adorable.

I however dislike angry birds due to the character's, especially pigs. If it were a different story with the same game play I would not have deleted it 20s after installation.

Wait, you only play DA2 on weekends, yet you have logged 70 hours already?? Holy shit, batman! I play almost every evening and on weekends but only managed to log half that... =/

Wolfram01:
Wait, you only play DA2 on weekends, yet you have logged 70 hours already?? Holy shit, batman! I play almost every evening and on weekends but only managed to log half that... =/

Slacker. :)

I'm clocking in at about 50 hours or so thus far, but I also took two days off of work to compensate for being away for a weekend at PAX. I also only play on weekends.

Russ Pitts:

Sikachu:
words ...

Thanks for illustrating my point. ;)

Also, lighten up. You'll live longer.

I can't tell if you're trying to be condescending or genuinely thanking me for clarifying your point. If the former: RAGE SWEARWORDS ANGER ANGER. If the latter, no worries ;).

As for lightening up, you should talk to my friends or colleagues. My relentlessy cheery disposition is legend, to the point that people think it's quite weird. To live a bit longer what I should really do is stop smoking. But then I'll be angry. Catch 22!

Russ Pitts:
People who have never touched a two-hand controller may call you and me "hardcore," and we, in turn, may call them "casual," but at the end of the day we are all gamers.

I'd also like to disagree with this, but in a slightly different way.

I think this is an overly broad application of the term "gamer". Gamers do not include, to paraphrase Yahtzee, the kind of Bejeweled-playing mothers who nodded to each other meaningfully every time a Sega Genesis was found in the home of a murderer.

In my mind, in order for someone to be a "gamer", they have to actually get something out of the medium besides a timesink. If someone occasionally plays games simply because they're bored, they're not a gamer. If they play games because they're passionate about it, then they're a gamer, regardless of whether that game is Bioshock, Angry Birds, Counter-strike, or Tetris.

"I'm only about 70 or so hours into [Dragon Age II]."

That many? You must be revisiting every area even more than the game already forces you to? :D

to me angry birds is nothing more then a thing to waste time when i am on the bus or when riding in a car. other then that i barely touch the game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here