Tofu

A real drop of a fake thing.

Watch Video

That is not food.

... Now I want a Cadbury egg...

What a delicious drop ;P

"A real drop of a fake thing."

I don't get it. Was that fake tofu?

Yeah, I'm with him, there's nothing "fake" about tofu, sure it's eaten by a lot of vegetarians, and it's got similar nutritional content to meat, but it existed long before vegetarianism was even a word (The Japanese have no single usable original word for vegetarian, but tofu has been there since forevers),that makes as much sense as saying bacon is fake chicken.

I like tofu, people often hate it because they've had it cooked by someone who doesn't know how to cook tofu, if you ate meat cooked incorrectly it would make you ill, so badly cooked tofu tasting bad, big deal.

*preemptive tofu defense*

Nice to see that Super Meat Boy's portrayal of tofu was rather accurate, right down to the very similar "splat" noise it makes when it lands. :p

Neptunus Hirt:

Tofu is fake meat. Or at least that's probably what they were going for there. I'm not interested in getting into a "what is tofu" debate.

the only good thing i ever ate with tofu was miso soup

mjc0961:
Tofu is fake meat. Or at least that's probably what they were going for there. I'm not interested in getting into a "what is tofu" debate.

No. Tofu is a coagulated soy product. Many milk products are produced in much the same way.
There's no debate about it, only simple facts.

Now, imitation meat products are often produced using tofu, as it has a favorable texture and soaks up flavor quite efficiently, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

mjc0961:
Nice to see that Super Meat Boy's portrayal of tofu was rather accurate, right down to the very similar "splat" noise it makes when it lands. :p

Neptunus Hirt:

It's actually closer to fake cheese than meat, at least going by how it's made

Hmm, tofu. I love that stuff! Shame you had to waste some, but I admit it looked cool.

Neptunus Hirt:

Yes, tofu is a real substance, but any food advertised as having no smell or taste is, by my definition at least, fake.

Steve Butts:

Neptunus Hirt:

Yes, tofu is a real substance, but any food advertised as having no smell or taste is, by my definition at least, fake.

Have you tasted, or smelled, real tofu?
It certainly does have a distinctive smell and taste. It's mild, but even after seasoning or marinating and cooking, it retains its distinct taste.

Some people like it, others don't. I fall into the "like" category.
I haven't seen tofu advertised as having no smell or taste - are you talking about special advertisements or perhaps descriptions on containers?
Either way, it's not really true.

You should try tofu to see if you like it. It's a versatile food, very tasty in the right hands.

So that's what happened with PETA's Tofu Man...interesting

tofu is a team player it does not work on it's own!
also creme egg tomorrow? now I need to go get one when going home!

It splats better than it tastes.

For some reason this music always makes me think of Band on The Run

200: Stream not found.

All better now.

That looks to fun :-p

Gonna have to chime in here. Tofu is not "fake" anything. Sure, it can be used to "fake" a meat in a dish, but in and of itself it's a real and widely eaten food item. As an omnivore, I eat it myself. I also eat meat. Tofu, cooked correctly and in the right dish makes my wife happy and it tastes good.

I understand the vitriol, unfounded and irrational though it may be, that "carnivores" have towards militant vegans or vegetarians, but it seems silly to vilify a food because some PETA loving ass-nozzle says meat is bad.

*start tofu defense*

have you tried eating chinese food that has tofu in it? it's great.

tofu is just like any other food, prepared properly, and it's great... of course it'll taste bad if it's prepared by people who don't know what they're doing...

*end tofu defense*

OT: tofu today probably splats better than the creme egg tomorrow...

High quality has missing stream.

Also, I always wondered about this: Why is it some of the initial credits is in this format:

Title
NAME

And the rest are in this format:

TITLE
Name

If that egg is a Cadbury's, you're getting soooo many angry PMs...

I know it's vegetarian, but just what IS it?

meat immitation products are disgusting. Tofu is delicious.
Agadashi Tofu is very delicious.
Cow is best served raw.

I had fake meatballs once and it was really good. I love Cadbury Creme Eggs. Can't wait to see it drop tomorrow.

I've only ever had tofu once, and I actually liked it lol. I still like my meat more, but I don't mind this as an alternative.

I've never had tofu so i'm not qualified to comment on the taste, but it LOOKS nasty bouncing off the concrete like that.

I find tofu to be rather bland. Just like with the sauerkraut, no thanks.

By the way, the tofu reminded me of this:

Deep fried tofu, yummy.

...I suddenly want something with tofu - maybe some miso soup. Mmm.

As for the video Mydnyght posted? Hilarious, yet kinda sad at the same time.

Mmmm..tofu...

So tasty...so...splatty? =S

I do actually like tofu when prepared well; I think too many people's first experience of tofu was just as pure cold tofu? Which does indeed have an unpleasant texture and almost no flavour.

Hm...maybe I'll make agedashi tofu tonight... *drools*

Neptunus Hirt:

mjc0961:

No. Tofu is a coagulated soy product. Many milk products are produced in much the same way.
There's no debate about it, only simple facts.

Now, imitation meat products are often produced using tofu, as it has a favorable texture and soaks up flavor quite efficiently, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

It was evidently a joke, you should probably take the daily drop captions less seriously.

Just came back from China...They can cook Tofu there. One intresting way is to freeze it first, then boil it up with veg/meat. Fried Tofu is nice aswell...and of course there's the sheet tofu that is great as a cold dish while quaffing Snow beer.

I fart in the general direction of anyone who tries to play the "fake" card.

RTR:
I know it's vegetarian, but just what IS it?

It's made from soy milk.
Making tofu is a simple process: Soy milk is coagulated and then pressed into blocks. The longer the blocks are pressed, the firmer the tofu. Tofu has a number of applications - softer tofu is usually used for desserts and scrambles, and firmer tofu is often grilled, fried or baked.

As I said earlier, it's a very versatile food and really quite tasty in the hands of a competent cook.
Enjoy your newly acquired knowledge!

Desert Tofu is SO GOOD. I like to describe it as a firmer yogurt, it's really quite nice.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here