The Escapist Presents: Exclusive Preview of Gears 3 Beta

Exclusive Preview of Gears 3 Beta

Epic Games's Cliff Bleszinski talks to The Escapist about the upcoming Gears of War 3 beta in this exclusive preview interview.

Watch Video

Cool, might actually get it having seen that.

Ahh, I'm so glad that I've got my xbox back up and running in my room. I'll definitely be back in the multiplayer mix for this game. Looks to be a blast.

Okay, now I'm interested.

I am here watching the video and getting excited and then Cliffs off the cuff nonchalant voice pulls me right back down to earth. Clearly the man has become desensitized to awesome from Gears.

That multiplayer action is sexy! I will be buying this for sure.

One thing I don't get though, how does that tracking thing work? Is it like Battlefields marking system and pretty much stays on forever?

DugMachine:
One thing I don't get though, how does that tracking thing work? Is it like Battlefields marking system and pretty much stays on forever?

That was one thing we didn't have a lot of video footage on, so I'm not sure. We'll be releasing another video in a week or so, and I'll try to get more details on that for you.

Russ Pitts:

DugMachine:

That was one thing we didn't have a lot of video footage on, so I'm not sure. We'll be releasing another video in a week or so, and I'll try to get more details on that for you.

Ah okay thank you. Been wondering about that system ever since I heard of it. Thats always been my problem with Gears, I can never really tell where the hell anyone is coming from and if it works anything like Battlefields system then its a godsend.

Wow this looks awesome.

Gears has always been my favorite of what I consider the 3 main shooters on 360. (Halo, CoD, GoW) The over the shoulder perspective allows you to see much more (and even better- you can actually tell when there's someone right next to you!) and the kills are gruesome and ridiculously gratifying- much more so than in any other IMO. The little touches like the kick of the weapons, seeing blood splatter upon bullet impact, and the character phrases go a long way, and the single elimination, last man standing team matches add a sense of fear and impact to each fight and death.

It's getting tiresome seeing this old footage and rather old news [ Check his Twitter ] over and over again.

I thought this was really really Exclusive, in a sense we'd see/hear unseen things, apparently not. No offense Escapist, but considering you guys live close to their HQ I thought they'd throw a delicate treat to you guys once and awhile.

I am quite excited for this, gotta make sure I get my new wireless adapter by April 14th...hell I got Bulletstorm on 360 for this instead of getting it on my main console PS3...I like the fact that they're looking to innovate a bit, instead of just releasing the same stuff over and over, and they're working on polishing things that needed polish from Gears 2...plus the new weapons look cool, though hopefully they bring the (I forgot the name so I'm calling it the) Orbital laser of ultimate death either in the story or multiplayer.

DugMachine:

From past interviews I've seen, I believe it where the icon will be there for about 5 seconds. Give or take a few. But that was a while ago, so I am not sure if they have changed it or not since then.

I think the biggest thing I'm going to have to get used to is forcing myself to hit Y for curb-stomp instead of X but other than that...EPIC, you are the best and Cliffy B is going to be in the mix too!? Awesome! April 18 is comming and I can't wait!

He forgot to say preordered at GameStop, because other stores aren't important enough for them. Oh well, I hate betas anyway so good riddance. Let somebody else play it when it's not perfect and I'll get the finished product later. :)

DugMachine:

Russ Pitts:

DugMachine:

Ah okay thank you. Been wondering about that system ever since I heard of it. Thats always been my problem with Gears, I can never really tell where the hell anyone is coming from and if it works anything like Battlefields system then its a godsend.

Basically, you can tag an enemy with the left thumbstick. And when you press your HUD button (that button that shows current objective, etc.) you can see those enemies highlighted through walls. When an enemy is tagged, it only lasts a few seconds.

Damn Cliffy, you may not be a J.E. Sawyer or a Gabe Newell game maker but your making your own style of game play. Although I never really fancy ultra gore fests, the only reason I ever got interested in Gears of War was because of John Dimmagio. He has the best voice ever and I certainly hope that this improves like he wants it to.

so glad I have access to the Beta, this looks really fun :D

Thank you Bulletstorm!

"As a Locust, you can tear off an enemy's arm and beat them to death with their own arm... That's kinda sick now that I think of it..."

Man, I love CliffyB.

Looks like theyve made some nifty improvements. I really only bought and played gears 2 b/c of friends. I may pass this game up, not sure if I want to spend sixty bucks on it.

DugMachine:

I think from the footage that it works by making your tactical vision let you see tagged enemies through cover for a few seconds. At least that was the impression i got from the game footage and cliff saying it was a few seconds deal.

OT: looks awesome, might be the first game i buy on release in years. Got to to say my favourite feature has to be the scoreboard in thrashball, something that actually gives feedback about the score rather than just a boring number in the corner seems like a brilliant idea; maybe even have 2 different sounds so you can tell when the enemy scores a kill, if all you're hearing is the enemy buzzer you know you need to get your act together, sort of like the announcers in COD but less annoying.

I'm on board for everything except the 1 shot. The fuck is that? Instant death from a whole map away? That directly clashes with the "intimate violence" Cliff spoke about in the video.

looks awesome, but i'll give the beta a miss, i'll be bored with it before it even comes out.

JUMBO PALACE:
I'm on board for everything except the 1 shot. The fuck is that? Instant death from a whole map away? That directly clashes with the "intimate violence" Cliff spoke about in the video.

yh i thought that, seems quite overpowered, maybe it should only have one round/rocket thingy, not 3, thats almost an entire team gone, and if the user is good enough it will happen.

JUMBO PALACE:

From the info given it sounds balanced enough. Its heavy like the mortar so you can run with it, it has an incredibly long reload, only comes with a couple rounds, and takes about half a second to fire instead of "as soon as you press the trigger".

But the benefits include blowing up cover and insta-gib :)

Holy cow... that flamethrower execution...

So excited to finally get my hands on this beta. I bought Bulletstorm because I wanted to play Bulletstorm, but the Gears 3 beta early access is really cool. This was a really nice video too... got me excited again.

CardinalPiggles:
looks awesome, but i'll give the beta a miss, i'll be bored with it before it even comes out.

JUMBO PALACE:

yh i thought that, seems quite overpowered, maybe it should only have one round/rocket thingy, not 3, thats almost an entire team gone, and if the user is good enough it will happen.

That's the point. It's a huge risk/reward weapon.

Gears has always revolved around what I call "the opening move". Players know the weapons on the map, the routes toward it and the flanks/covering fire areas around it.

It's slow, it makes you a huge target, and is inefficient. Plus, the enemy will know that it's a threat, so even before you get it, your opponent will be pre-empting that and facing you down for it, thus increasing the risk. As a late-game changer (it's only use beyond a humiliation kill), it's actually less overpowered than the Boomshot or Longshot.

What I personally disagree with is the Digger. That shit seems dubiously unfair/unbalanced. A fire-and-forget insta-kill weapon that ignores cover? Not fun.

I just hope, gameplay-wise, it's more similar to Gears 1 than Gears 2.

i like the idea of ripping a guys arm off and beating him with the soggy end

Would have tried this if I had a Xbox. The graphics do look a lot better.

Question : Does eyerybody by law have to follow the XP model for MP CoD perfected ? Can`t the human race come up with something else ?

new gears looks epic, :) see what i did there?

it looks awesome and i can't wait to play this game.

He hopes the players find bug? hehe cliff finding bugs in an epic game is like finding corpses in a mass grave. Good thing about gears of war as bug laden as they are and remain they're still fun games so I totally polan on buying this glitch laden monstrosity.

What's with the new lancer being pink? Look at it at 2:34. I assume it's arbitrary to the player...

OHHHH douche chills

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here