Trailers: Mass Effect 2: Arrival

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

It's boring. The Mass Effect games are great, (especially the first one) but damn, they are bad with DLC. With the exception of Lair of the Shadow Broker, all DLC in the series has been poor, and Arrival is no different. Just an hour of shooting and flipping switches.

ciortas1:
The trailer looks terrible, so...

I hope this crashes and burns.

Zukhramm:
Great tactics Bioware! Make a game with a pretty pointless story and then sell the actually for the overarching plot important events as DLC. That's how you make the money!

I've never understood these kinds of people. If you don't want to play the game don't play it. I for one find Call of Duty games to be the largest stains on the history of gaming since Leisure Suit Larry, and that anyone who honestly dares to consider their storylines to be anything beyond "cliched" and their gameplay beyond "luck-based an unbalanced" to be of a mindset not trustworthy in modern society. Do I go on every thread about them so I can mock and insult the games at every opportunity? Fuck no! That is what we call "having your head up your ass."

I'll buy and try this for myself this weekend. Avoiding the spoilers shall be a bitch.

Also, if the ending of this DLC ends up pointlessly murdering crew members, somebody let me know now.

poiumty:
Boooring. Boring, boring, boring. THE REAPERS HAVE FOUND THE MAGUFFIN! ALL HANDS ON DECK, WE ARE BEING RAMMED BY THE MOST PREDICTABLE AND OBVIOUS PLOT TWIST IN THE HISTORY OF WRITING!

You know all those things you've done to keep the reapers from getting into our galaxy? Like, the entire reason for the other 2 games?

WELL FUCK YOU THEY'RE HERE ANYWAY

I'm guessing since none of the other countless species were not able to stop the cycle of complete annihilation by The Reapers, it won't be that easy for us lol

Is now avoiding Escapist til next monday, no spoilers for me.

Consider this DLC bought, played, won, and replayed!

Socken:

It makes sense.

I never argued that it doesn't make sense, though i would if i was in the mood to get into a lengthy discussion. Judging by the state we're in right now and the nigh-invincibility of the reapers as seen in ME1, all we've done with the first 2 games was delay the inevitable. Of course, Shepard's gonna find the special maguffin grenade that one-shots all the reapers when it's used and everything will be fine, but that doesn't make the first 2 games any more redundant.

But my main argument was that the plot twist is utterly uninteresting. "The Reapers just walked the distance" is utterly anticlimactic and not worthy of a game that wants to be deep and rich in story.

If somebody gave you a lump of gold, some of you guys would bitch about how heavy it was. This is good DLC. It does what it's expected to do. It continues the overarching story, and is a great segue into Mass Effect 3. A 2 hour DLC cannot have the same scope for choices and whatnot as a 40 hour game. It is designed to act as a bridge, and it's a great bridge.

To the people arguing plot points: Yes, the Reapers are coming. Shepard is delaying them. Again. He's done so in ME1, ME2.

It's no maguffin. It's a fairly major event (I'd actually thought about the DLC so much I'd guessed what would have to happen) and the consequences of it look like they will have some serious results for Shepard. I honestly don't see what people are bitching about. As DLC I'd probably give it an 8/10 compared to LoTSB's 9/10.

P.S. Seriously, can we PLEASE stick to English words for the flipping Captchas? This is getting ridiculous.

I would ask a number of questions as to the point of this, like how can it possibly really effect the game, because the fact is you must fail this mission for ME3 to even happen...

So its basically going to be a glorified trailer and a mid gap that they've made up to make some more dough.

But you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that. I've gotten much more out of ME then I have most other games I've gotten into these last few years, and if I can support the people that have made these brilliant games and get to kick some more ass with Legion and Jack, then so be it, and more DLC is something I just can't turn down. I'm currently in insanity, and you bet your ass this is going into that.

Now excuse me sirs, I have downloading to do.

CJ1145:

I've never understood these kinds of people. If you don't want to play the game don't play it. I for one find Call of Duty games to be the largest stains on the history of gaming since Leisure Suit Larry, and that anyone who honestly dares to consider their storylines to be anything beyond "cliched" and their gameplay beyond "luck-based an unbalanced" to be of a mindset not trustworthy in modern society. Do I go on every thread about them so I can mock and insult the games at every opportunity? Fuck no! That is what we call "having your head up your ass."

I'll buy and try this for myself this weekend. Avoiding the spoilers shall be a bitch.

Also, if the ending of this DLC ends up pointlessly murdering crew members, somebody let me know now.

Well I don't quite understand people who bring up the whole, "If you don't like it, just ignore it" argument to counteract criticism. So what if you don't play it? It's still there, and if it's got stupid advertising, or it messes up a game series you like, or it's just plain bad, what's wrong with someone using a couple minutes of their leisure time to spread their opinion? That's what forums like this are there for anyways. Besides, if you can't defend it well enough, it might not be that good. Not to mention that internet trolling seems to have already become a time-honored tradition in today's society.

Either way, all this "putting important plot points in DLC" nonsense is all part of the problem that EA is crippling the entertainment value of its individual games in some misguided attempt to make a quick buck. And that's no good.

So what's Mass Effect 3?

They could have just put the one Harbinger line in a 10 second clip with no animation and I would have been just as psyched. XD

Finished the DLC about 40 minutes ago, and this song sums up the DLC nicely:

However, I just had one problem with it (besides wishing it was longer):

Sure glad I avoided things like this before playing the DLC, it gave away all the best parts.

JeanLuc761:

Art Axiv:
I just wonder if it will spoiler or enhance the experience of Mass Effect 3.

Since I just completed it...I'm going to have to say "Both."

I won't spoil anything, but the end of the DLC has some pretty dire implications.

You mean that the Reapers are coming? I thought we already knew that. Or do you mean the

Didn't get to shoot enough Batarians, though apparently I killed a butt ton of them.

considering we already know that the Reapers end up at Earth in ME3 did any of you that played this DLC feel like w.e you were doing was pointless? I mean it kinda sounds like Halo:Reach in that regard .. your whole mission is to stop the Reapers from finding Earth or w.e.. yet we've already seen that they do end up getting there so w.e your trying to do must have failed or at least not gone as planned.. note that I havent played this DLC yet, just curious how those of you who have felt about this particular point. Though I dont think this scenario 'ruined' the story in the case of Halo:Reach.. but I certainly felt a bit strange moving forward in the campaign knowing that my dude WILL die and most of my team will most likely die as well lol.

.... must resist.... "Cause there's no way to say no to you. This conversation's been dead on Arrival."
...goddam Rock Band

SlothfulCobra:

CJ1145:

Well I don't quite understand people who bring up the whole, "If you don't like it, just ignore it" argument to counteract criticism. So what if you don't play it? It's still there, and if it's got stupid advertising, or it messes up a game series you like, or it's just plain bad, what's wrong with someone using a couple minutes of their leisure time to spread their opinion? That's what forums like this are there for anyways. Besides, if you can't defend it well enough, it might not be that good. Not to mention that internet trolling seems to have already become a time-honored tradition in today's society.

Either way, all this "putting important plot points in DLC" nonsense is all part of the problem that EA is crippling the entertainment value of its individual games in some misguided attempt to make a quick buck. And that's no good.

Oh my, you have quite the assessment of EAs evilness. Quite grand by your words...Also, EA just publishes things. Bioware makes them.

poiumty:

HG131:

poiumty:
Boooring. Boring, boring, boring. THE REAPERS HAVE FOUND THE MAGUFFIN! ALL HANDS ON DECK, WE ARE BEING RAMMED BY THE MOST PREDICTABLE AND OBVIOUS PLOT TWIST IN THE HISTORY OF WRITING!

You know all those things you've done to keep the reapers from getting into our galaxy? Like, the entire reason for the other 2 games?

The ME3 Trailer kinda made that clear.

You know how sometimes, in some stories, all the pieces fall together and reveal the carefully-wrought consequence to your actions? You know how some turns of events are just flat-out unpredictable and so complex that they leave you thinking for a lot more time than you spent playing the game?

And then there's Mass Effect. All that shit about the Citadel being the only entry to the galaxy from deep space? Nah dawg, here's the convenient plot portal and access to ALL OF THE RELAYS. ALL OF THEM.

EDIT: now if you'll excuse me, i got 4 characters waiting.

Such anger for a little part of a big story. Like complaining how stupid the Star Wars Trilogy was because of how they blow up the Death Star. Chill. Just enjoy the ride.

Goodbye all, for the next 3 hours, I will be at one with the XBOX. w00t!

poiumty:

HG131:

poiumty:

The ME3 Trailer kinda made that clear.

You know how sometimes, in some stories, all the pieces fall together and reveal the carefully-wrought consequence to your actions? You know how some turns of events are just flat-out unpredictable and so complex that they leave you thinking for a lot more time than you spent playing the game?

And then there's Mass Effect. All that shit about the Citadel being the only entry to the galaxy from deep space? Nah dawg, here's the convenient plot portal and access to ALL OF THE RELAYS. ALL OF THEM.

EDIT: now if you'll excuse me, i got 4 characters waiting.

That portal still can't get them from deep space. All it does is allow them to spread out faster once they're here.

Oh wow. I literally finished ME2 today. It's probably a sign (that I need to play the DLC quickly so that I can sell my copy when its price hopefully raises. ka-cheeng.)

poiumty:
ALL OF THE RELAYS. ALL OF THEM.

<33333333

Well I just finished Arrival.

It's pretty decent. It's no Shadow Broker, but it's not bad. There are some pretty heavy things going on though, and some of it probably is going to be a big deal in ME3. I do wonder though... how will EA deal with the ME2 players who decide not to buy this DLC? Will the events that happen in arrival just... not happen for them, or... will they assume that they played through this when they import their save to ME3? I do wonder... :o

Anyway, a nice little injection of ME2 today. :3

So after making a big moral stand with the fucking Collector station, suddenly my Shepard goes with an ends justifies the means. Bull fucking shit.

I am allowed to have Shepard die in the suicide mission, but I can't save the Batarians? Clearly they don't mind having possible outcomes that are incompatible with the canon story.

Even if the DLC had ended (with the other choice) with "Reaper's come, you lose, everyone dies, Game Over," I would have preferred that to completely invalidating the Shepard I was unlucky enough to pick for the mission.

Yes, I have other characters, and I don't have to play the DLC with them. Mass Effect 3 is not ruined for me. But this character that I took through Mass Effect and imported is unplayable.

Even though the trailer wasn't spectacular, it looks like I am going to need more MS points.

4173:

Uh, massive spoilers ahoy.

Damn, looks awesome, but then, I was pretty much expecting that. What I find interesting is that this seems to be set canonically after the end of Mass Effect 2, rather that during the main plot. I still need to run the original Mass Effect and then Mass Effect 2 one more time (at least), so this'll have to wait until I'm finished with that. But I'm optimistic, mostly because of how kickass Lair of the Shadow Broker was.

poiumty:

Hahahahaah, well-stated.

Well, it is a fucking trilogy so there needs to be some sort of crescendo to cap it all off, and Shepard retiring his life of gallivanting about with a colorful cast of supporting characters and kicking the Reapers in the shins probably wouldn't quite cut it.

That said, I'm impressed how BioWare managed to make a DLC promising the face-to-face introduction of the almighty civilization-rending robot overlords of the universe, and they still have us shooting alien mooks for 2 hours.

4173:

Just started Mass Effect 2 fresh again. Haven´t played any of the DLC yet and I´m wondering which one to play when to get the most out of the story.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I just hope ME3 isn't centered around Earth. I don't care about Earth. I'm here to save the galaxy, not to play favorite with certain races.

THANK YOU.

I thought I was the only person who felt this way. Why, oh why, should my Colonist Shepard care about Earth? Earth is just one more planet among many with lots of humans living on it! Humanity just happens to be the species I belong to, nothing special! I want to save the galaxy and all of its sentient life!

Oh, except the Batarians. Those things can get Reaped. Like I care about those frogthings.

SQUEE!!! Cant wait to play it! I hope it's as epic as the trailer makes it look.

BlindChance:

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I just hope ME3 isn't centered around Earth. I don't care about Earth. I'm here to save the galaxy, not to play favorite with certain races.

THANK YOU.

I thought I was the only person who felt this way. Why, oh why, should my Colonist Shepard care about Earth? Earth is just one more planet among many with lots of humans living on it! Humanity just happens to be the species I belong to, nothing special! I want to save the galaxy and all of its sentient life!

Oh, except the Batarians. Those things can get Reaped. Like I care about those frogthings.

My Shep, well my cannon anyways, is Earthborn and would probably be pissed just because it's the human home-world.

Though I believe that flaming earth in the ME3 trailer was just for shock value. The reapers will probably go after the most obvious threats first such as humans, turians, asari and salarians. So it's probably not just Earth that gets attacked.

I agree that I hope ME3's plot doesn't center around Earth. It just seems to cliché to me. I can understand the logic of using said plot device to drive the story though. Like you can only save Earth OR another planet/station/ect... not both.

Well, seeing the ME3 trailer and knowing that the Reapers have invaded Earth, I think it's pretty obvious what the outcome of this final ME2 DLC is, without even playing it.
And it's titled "Arrival" - how much more of a giveaway can it be?
I uninstalled ME2 long ago, and I can't be bothered reinstalling it for one DLC. So I'll skip this one.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here