Trailers: Mass Effect 2: Arrival

Pages PREV 1 2 3

HG131:

poiumty:

HG131:
The ME3 Trailer kinda made that clear.

You know how sometimes, in some stories, all the pieces fall together and reveal the carefully-wrought consequence to your actions? You know how some turns of events are just flat-out unpredictable and so complex that they leave you thinking for a lot more time than you spent playing the game?

And then there's Mass Effect. All that shit about the Citadel being the only entry to the galaxy from deep space? Nah dawg, here's the convenient plot portal and access to ALL OF THE RELAYS. ALL OF THEM.

EDIT: now if you'll excuse me, i got 4 characters waiting.

That portal still can't get them from deep space. All it does is allow them to spread out faster once they're here.

If you played the same DLC that i did you probably saw the big countdown timer which was about 30 minutes to completion by the time you finish the DLC. It's safe to say that being in deep space was never a major impediment for the reapers. They're already in the galaxy by now, they just have to walk the rest of the way to a new relay.

Extragorey:
Well, seeing the ME3 trailer and knowing that the Reapers have invaded Earth, I think it's pretty obvious what the outcome of this final ME2 DLC is, without even playing it.
And it's titled "Arrival" - how much more of a giveaway can it be?
I uninstalled ME2 long ago, and I can't be bothered reinstalling it for one DLC. So I'll skip this one.

Set as spoiler cause well it kind of is.

HankMan:
Well now we know how The Reapers got to earth Dam it Sheppard!

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I just hope ME3 isn't centered around Earth. I don't care about Earth. I'm here to save the galaxy, not to play favorite with certain races.

Well considering the VGA 2010 trailer showed the Reapers razing London to the ground, I'd say that's where the game will end-up focusing it's attention.

ERGH, nobody (as already stated) cares about that backwater planet anyways. let's go back to the Krogan homeworld :D

OT:looks actually good enough for a dlc for once.

poiumty:

Socken:

It makes sense.

I never argued that it doesn't make sense, though i would if i was in the mood to get into a lengthy discussion. Judging by the state we're in right now and the nigh-invincibility of the reapers as seen in ME1, all we've done with the first 2 games was delay the inevitable. Of course, Shepard's gonna find the special maguffin grenade that one-shots all the reapers when it's used and everything will be fine, but that doesn't make the first 2 games any more redundant.

But my main argument was that the plot twist is utterly uninteresting. "The Reapers just walked the distance" is utterly anticlimactic and not worthy of a game that wants to be deep and rich in story.

Yeah I see your point. It's a little too "easy" a twist.
I think the idea behind it (if there is one, it's probably just lazy design) is intriguing though. It kind of emphasizes the danger that we have to use every slightest advantage we get to stop the invasion. It doesn't just focus on the one and only solution, but shows the efforts to stall the invasion in order to make time to find one. I got that feeling at the end of the first game already, when in the end it was still all yeah we killed Saren but the Reapers are coming anyway.
That is not to say, however, that ME2 as a whole was not pretty pointless plot-wise. If the Reapers could've just started going the distance quietly instead of telling us with fanfares and Collectors that they're still there, the whole thing would've been much more surprising.
I can totally see why you'd find that premise uninteresting or even boring, but in my twisted mind the anticlimactic nature of it kind of works, because I was already thinking the Reapers could just take some time and get their asses over here. So now they do, and we're trying to hinder their progress until we find the inevitable Deus Ex Machina/McGuffin device you mentioned.

I dunno I guess I just think it's nice that they actually make the Reapers out as this unstoppable force that will inevitably destroy us no matter what. Only they won't of course. But they still tell it that way. You get the idea.

After playing this, this is my educated guess for the plot of Mass Effect 3. Reapers delayed=War with Batarians. Soon after/during said war, reapers come, attack earth. You have to swing by the citadel wrangle up council fleet. Save earth. Reapers move to citadel. Ultimate final battle with councils anti reaper weapon/strike force, which you lead. You fuck up the reapers Shepard style. Council kisses your/humanity's ass. Then you have repeated intercourse with many alien wimminz, Shepard style.

poiumty:

HG131:

poiumty:

You know how sometimes, in some stories, all the pieces fall together and reveal the carefully-wrought consequence to your actions? You know how some turns of events are just flat-out unpredictable and so complex that they leave you thinking for a lot more time than you spent playing the game?

And then there's Mass Effect. All that shit about the Citadel being the only entry to the galaxy from deep space? Nah dawg, here's the convenient plot portal and access to ALL OF THE RELAYS. ALL OF THEM.

EDIT: now if you'll excuse me, i got 4 characters waiting.

That portal still can't get them from deep space. All it does is allow them to spread out faster once they're here.

If you played the same DLC that i did you probably saw the big countdown timer which was about 30 minutes to completion by the time you finish the DLC. It's safe to say that being in deep space was never a major impediment for the reapers. They're already in the galaxy by now, they just have to walk the rest of the way to a new relay.

Still, rather than float in and proceed to assume direct control of the galaxy, they have to go the slow way.

So if you dont want to fork over more money you get to miss quite an important bit of of the plot, also did anyone else think it was some sort of saw knock DLC off a the begining of the film

I MUST HAVE THIS NOA!

Argh! Why do I have so many goddamn classes today?!

WHY!?

OT: As Bioware fanboy I must buy this.

As bad as Witch Hunt was for DA?

CJ1145:

Zukhramm:
Great tactics Bioware! Make a game with a pretty pointless story and then sell the actually for the overarching plot important events as DLC. That's how you make the money!

I've never understood these kinds of people. If you don't want to play the game don't play it. I for one find Call of Duty games to be the largest stains on the history of gaming since Leisure Suit Larry, and that anyone who honestly dares to consider their storylines to be anything beyond "cliched" and their gameplay beyond "luck-based an unbalanced" to be of a mindset not trustworthy in modern society. Do I go on every thread about them so I can mock and insult the games at every opportunity? Fuck no! That is what we call "having your head up your ass."

I'll buy and try this for myself this weekend. Avoiding the spoilers shall be a bitch.

Also, if the ending of this DLC ends up pointlessly murdering crew members, somebody let me know now.

Hint: I did play it. I wouldn't complain if I hadn't. If I hadn't played the game I wouldn't care at all.

I'm not mocking anything, I'm not insulting anyone. What I'm doing is pointing out something I dislike in a game. I was not aware that only positive opinions where allowed.

played it... thought it was okay. the solo aspect of the mission didn't feel natural to me after assembling this awesome team throughout the rest of the game. oh well, story was decent, if not wonderful.

Why do you make me wear the fanboy pants mummy? I don't want to wear the fanboy pants!

*le sigh*

I made the mistake of scrolling over /v/ before downloading Arrival, and it terrified the hell out of me. I honestly thought Bioware had completely jumped the shark. However, being the lore-addict I am, I still downloaded and played it, and to be honest, I think a lot of the criticism lore-wise is completely unfounded.

Spoilers for all games incoming.

So now we come to invasion plan D. Drop straight in and flotilla the fuck out of everything from one galactic rim to the other. "Hurr, but how did the reapers get out of deep space?" some people who have been blissfuly not paying attention may bleat. "Simple, like your mum." I answer. Mass effect already has a macguffin which gives the middle finger to Einstein's bullshit cramping our alien-shagging style, whilst simultaneously making Sir Isaac Newton the deadliest son of a bitch in space. Element Zero.

In case you came in late, eezo lowers the relative mass within a field when a negative current is applied, and vice versa. The stronger the current, the bigger the shift, and the more eezo, the bigger the field. The lower the mass, the faster the object has the potential to go, relativistically speaking. This is how we travel between planets in hours, and between stars in days. The relays are just there to provide instantaneous travel between 'clusters', given enough fuel, supplies, and time, any ship capable of FTL travel could cross the galaxy under its own power.

"But the protheans said it would take them centuries to do it under their own power." they will add. To which I reply "Fuck the Protheans in their insectile eye-sockets." Have we ever been provided an upper limit as to the speed capable of an eezo-enabled drive? Human ships run on deutrium(H3) fuel cells. Who's to say the Reapers aren't running matter/antimatter anhillation drives, so just turned their shit up to 11 when the collectors humped the bunk? Also, the Protheans might have known more about the reapers than current galactic civilization, but they're not sages of the fucking universe on the subject.

"But why didn't the reapers just do that (plan D) in the first place?" The argumentative will shriek. "Because your face." I wittily retort, my stable of nubile love-slaves clasping at my legs and moaning their admiration. And also, for the same reason people on the east coast of a country don't circumnavigate the globe to get to the other side. It's fucking inefficient. No doubt the reapers want to be in and out and birthing their grotesque spawn fueled by the collective matter of destroyed civilizations without having to fuck about too much with last stands in every goddamn cluster and endless transmissions of "Why are you doing this?" and "Ow my face oh god it burns."

What I will agree on is that endless shooty corridor play was a hell of a lot harder solo. I promise Garrus, I will never make fun of your shitty AI ever again.

Wow... Wall of text huh.

poiumty:
And then there's Mass Effect. All that shit about the Citadel being the only entry to the galaxy from deep space?

If someone already responded to you, then sorry for this post, I haven't read the whole thread; I think the whole thing about the Citadel was that it was the only means for the Reapers to quickly access our galaxy from dark space. When the ability for them to use it was cut off in Mass Effect, the reapers had to physically enter our galaxy by way of non instantaneous travel. (Which we see at the end of Mass Effect 2) Because they don't have the convenience of using the Citadel, they have to instead reach a Mass Relay in order to spread through the Galaxy. Had they been able to use the Citadel, they would have arrived already and presumably killed off everyone.

So it really isn't just a convenient plot portal, it's simple logic: can't take the short cut, so you take the long way.

poiumty:
Nah dawg, here's the convenient plot portal and access to ALL OF THE RELAYS. ALL OF THEM.

I don't really understand your point here, Mass Relays exist to connect the galaxy - an easy way of getting from point A to point B, or point F, R, X etc...

I'll put the rest in spoilers for those who haven't played the Arrival DLC.

Everything thus far has been about disrupting/delaying the Reapers. That's all you can really do when you don't have a solid means by which to destroy the threat presented to you.

My opinion on what me3 will be: A lot of kissing ass for help defending earth for at least half of the game and fixing their problems, now i`ll probably need to explain to batarians why i killed 300k of their people.

did anyone else just get pumped?

HG131:
Believe it or not, some people actually enjoy the action parts of an Action RPG.

Umm action ADVENTURE rpg...the adventure means it's better. :P sorry just thought it was funny how they put that "adventure" part on the game box.

To all the people crying "Ruined FOREVER!" about this DLC, may I address one small flaw in your reasoning: you are assuming that the events of ME1 & ME2 provide the full story, or even hint at the full capabilities of the Reapers.

The Reapers are not stupid megalomaniacs. They know exactly what they're doing and why. They make contingency plans. They can get annoyed and they're dismissive of lesser life forms, but they don't lose focus and they are thorough. They've been doing this stuff for a long time while leaving no evidence.* One can safely assume they have a tendency to ensure that, one way or another, they achieve what they set out to achieve.

What they most definitely would NOT do is only have one plan, or leave anything to chance. If you can operate on their time-frame, you have plenty of opportunity to make sure there are no convenient holes in your overall plan which would undermine the end goal. A few delays here and there will make no difference, so long as you succeed in the end. Plan A (ME1) was Plan A because it would be impossible for the opposition to come back from. Plan B (ME2) was Plan B largely because it made a re-run of Plan A possible. Both were more efficient than anything else they could do.

The existence of Plans C onward SHOULD just be met with a response of "Yay, more Mass Effect!"

But, if you still don't like the DLC, then don't play it. Simple. Please just don't waste time whining or trying to start an argument about it.

* = props for anyone who got the Invader Zim reference

Tilted_Logic:

poiumty:
And then there's Mass Effect. All that shit about the Citadel being the only entry to the galaxy from deep space?

If someone already responded to you, then sorry for this post, I haven't read the whole thread; I think the whole thing about the Citadel was that it was the only means for the Reapers to quickly access our galaxy from dark space. When the ability for them to use it was cut off in Mass Effect, the reapers had to physically enter our galaxy by way of non instantaneous travel. (Which we see at the end of Mass Effect 2)

Thus eliminating the whole point of them being trapped in dark space. Without FTL travel, the distance required for them to reach the edge of our galaxy from where they were at the end of ME2 would be a couple of thousand light years. It's not as easy as going from a solar system to another; the galaxy is pretty big.
ME2 was an unplanned sequel with different writers; the original intent was that Reapers could not enter our galaxy so easily without the Citadel relay.

So it really isn't just a convenient plot portal, it's simple logic: can't take the short cut, so you take the long way.

I don't really understand your point here, Mass Relays exist to connect the galaxy - an easy way of getting from point A to point B, or point F, R, X etc...

You didn't pay much attention to the DLC, did you. That particular relay was *special* - it allowed access to all the other relays at the same time, while normal relays could only connect one at a time. Which is a bit too convenient for my taste.

poiumty:
Thus eliminating the whole point of them being trapped in dark space. Without FTL travel, the distance required for them to reach the edge of our galaxy from where they were at the end of ME2 would be a couple of thousand light years. It's not as easy as going from a solar system to another; the galaxy is pretty big.
ME2 was an unplanned sequel with different writers; the original intent was that Reapers could not enter our galaxy so easily without the Citadel relay.

I never claimed traveling from dark space to a galaxy would be quick, but I was under the assumption the Reapers were ridiculously resourceful and powerful beings; I don't see why they couldn't have some method of travelling faster than say, an Alliance ship could.

poiumty:
You didn't pay much attention to the DLC, did you. That particular relay was *special* - it allowed access to all the other relays at the same time, while normal relays could only connect one at a time. Which is a bit too convenient for my taste.

I must have missed that part then. The Reapers having access to any Mass Relay seems like a scenario that would end in mass devastation, regardless of whether they could spread through the galaxy instantaneously or through a few relay jumps. Either way, as other people have pointed out, the Alpha Relay was likely in place as a contingency plan in case the Citadel failed.

Your dislike for this all seems to be rooted in the fact you don't like Bioware making things simple or easy, but in reality wouldn't it make sense for the Reapers to have things set up that way?

RedEyesBlackGamer:
I just hope ME3 isn't centered around Earth. I don't care about Earth. I'm here to save the galaxy, not to play favorite with certain races.

I feel the same way but it will be. For some reason Bioware have decided to focus Shepard's story on humanity rather than the galaxy as a whole. Shepard even specifically mentions that "humans" will fight the Reapers, he doesn't mention the other races at all (which he did in Mass Effect 1), I don't get why they think we need another cliché "humans save the day" plot, I really don't.

Haagrum:
To all the people crying "Ruined FOREVER!" about this DLC, may I address one small flaw in your reasoning: you are assuming that the events of ME1 & ME2 provide the full story, or even hint at the full capabilities of the Reapers.

The Reapers are not stupid megalomaniacs. They know exactly what they're doing and why. They make contingency plans. They can get annoyed and they're dismissive of lesser life forms, but they don't lose focus and they are thorough. They've been doing this stuff for a long time while leaving no evidence.* One can safely assume they have a tendency to ensure that, one way or another, they achieve what they set out to achieve.

What they most definitely would NOT do is only have one plan, or leave anything to chance. If you can operate on their time-frame, you have plenty of opportunity to make sure there are no convenient holes in your overall plan which would undermine the end goal. A few delays here and there will make no difference, so long as you succeed in the end. Plan A (ME1) was Plan A because it would be impossible for the opposition to come back from. Plan B (ME2) was Plan B largely because it made a re-run of Plan A possible. Both were more efficient than anything else they could do.

The existence of Plans C onward SHOULD just be met with a response of "Yay, more Mass Effect!"

But, if you still don't like the DLC, then don't play it. Simple. Please just don't waste time whining or trying to start an argument about it.

* = props for anyone who got the Invader Zim reference

My Business ... Is Done!

I agree, just because they said in Mass Effect 1 that they used the Citadel to get into normal space, does not mean that it's the only way, the people in the game who said these things were basing it off of assumptions and what little information they had to go on. It does not mean the Reapers were not capable of doing anything else.

I really cannot fathom how people don't get this is a trilogy, where we don't know everything from the start.

Legion:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I feel the same way but it will be. For some reason Bioware have decided to focus Shepard's story on humanity rather than the galaxy as a whole. Shepard even specifically mentions that "humans" will fight the Reapers, he doesn't mention the other races at all (which he did in Mass Effect 1), I don't get why they think we need another cliché "humans save the day" plot, I really don't.

It would render Paragon Shepards pretty non-canonical. Seeing as Paragon=pro-galaxy and Renegade=pro-human. But with the missteps Bioware has been making recently, I wouldn't doubt it.

Tilted_Logic:

Your dislike for this all seems to be rooted in the fact you don't like Bioware making things simple or easy, but in reality wouldn't it make sense for the Reapers to have things set up that way?

I'm actually a huge fan of Mass Effect 2 and i liked the streamlining in DA2.

What i don't like is shallowness, especially when it comes to story. Again, not arguing that it doesn't make sense - it makes just as much sense as the rest of the contrived plot. I'm arguing that bioware could have done better than this.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Legion:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

It would render Paragon Shepards pretty non-canonical. Seeing as Paragon=pro-galaxy and Renegade=pro-human. But with the missteps Bioware has been making recently, I wouldn't doubt it.

Remember that we were forced to work with Cerberus in Mass Effect 2 (which my Paragade Shepard would never have done given the choice) so it isn't that far fetched really, and they are an anti-alien group.

I don't see Bioware forcing us to not care about other races, but I believe that the game will be spent recruiting the others to save Earth. This has been hinted at quite strongly so far, and when they accidentally leaked the release of ME3 on the EA site, it mentioned this.

Legion:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Legion:

Remember that we were forced to work with Cerberus in Mass Effect 2 (which my Paragade Shepard would never have done given the choice) so it isn't that far fetched really, and they are an anti-alien group.

I don't see Bioware forcing us to not care about other races, but I believe that the game will be spent recruiting the others to save Earth. This has been hinted at quite strongly so far, and when they accidentally leaked the release of ME3 on the EA site, it mentioned this.

I'd set up a trap for the Reapers and sacrifice Earth. I just feel like we should be given a choice. Save your own planet, but all other races take a huge hit or sacrifice Earth and focus on protecting the galaxy.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Legion:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

I'd set up a trap for the Reapers and sacrifice Earth. I just feel like we should be given a choice. Save your own planet, but all other races take a huge hit or sacrifice Earth and focus on protecting the galaxy.

With any luck, Bioware will remember that they are a company that supposedly make RPG's, and will give us some choices, I cannot fathom the lack of choices (with consequences) that they have been including in their recent games.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

My guess us Mass Effect 3 will be structured similarly to Dragon Age: Origins, having to navigate various races political issues, pick sides, do some less then savory stuff to get them off their asses to combat the Reapers... fly th damn Normandy properly for once

Legion:

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Legion:

With any luck, Bioware will remember that they are a company that supposedly make RPG's, and will give us some choices, I cannot fathom the lack of choices (with consequences) that they have been including in their recent games.

I'd be happy with a DA:O setup. You have the approaching army (Reapers) and they throw you into the game to recruit people. You'd essentially be picking one faction over another (this may test your companions' loyalty). Such as Quarians or Geth, Council or Cerberus/Alliance, etc. Would it be original? No. Would it work really well? Yes.

Socken:

poiumty:

Socken:

It makes sense.

I never argued that it doesn't make sense, though i would if i was in the mood to get into a lengthy discussion. Judging by the state we're in right now and the nigh-invincibility of the reapers as seen in ME1, all we've done with the first 2 games was delay the inevitable. Of course, Shepard's gonna find the special maguffin grenade that one-shots all the reapers when it's used and everything will be fine, but that doesn't make the first 2 games any more redundant.

But my main argument was that the plot twist is utterly uninteresting. "The Reapers just walked the distance" is utterly anticlimactic and not worthy of a game that wants to be deep and rich in story.

Yeah I see your point. It's a little too "easy" a twist.
I think the idea behind it (if there is one, it's probably just lazy design) is intriguing though. It kind of emphasizes the danger that we have to use every slightest advantage we get to stop the invasion. It doesn't just focus on the one and only solution, but shows the efforts to stall the invasion in order to make time to find one. I got that feeling at the end of the first game already, when in the end it was still all yeah we killed Saren but the Reapers are coming anyway.
That is not to say, however, that ME2 as a whole was not pretty pointless plot-wise. If the Reapers could've just started going the distance quietly instead of telling us with fanfares and Collectors that they're still there, the whole thing would've been much more surprising.
I can totally see why you'd find that premise uninteresting or even boring, but in my twisted mind the anticlimactic nature of it kind of works, because I was already thinking the Reapers could just take some time and get their asses over here. So now they do, and we're trying to hinder their progress until we find the inevitable Deus Ex Machina/McGuffin device you mentioned.

I dunno I guess I just think it's nice that they actually make the Reapers out as this unstoppable force that will inevitably destroy us no matter what. Only they won't of course. But they still tell it that way. You get the idea.

My hope is that there is an ending when the Reapers just come and fuck our shit up, everybody dies, we tired, but we screwed up, show Sheppard having one last heartwarming conversation with his friends/love interest, fade to black, sad string music over credits.

They might also go with a sort of Jesus ending(With all the Biblical subtext, it would make sense(I think I'll name any of my future Sheppard's Jesús, for good measure)), when Sheppard fails to defeat the Reapers, but in his death he exemplifies all the good things about humanity, and the Reapers decide to leave us alone. Hell, knowing Sheppard, he could probably juts talk them out of it anyway

RedEyesBlackGamer:

It would render Paragon Shepards pretty non-canonical. Seeing as Paragon = pro-galaxy and Renegade = pro-human. But with the missteps Bioware has been making recently, I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not sure that's accurate. Shepard, first and foremost, gets shit done. The Paragon/Renegade dichotomy is not about whether Shepard is sweetness and light or eats babies. It's about how he/she gets the job done, and whether he/she cares about whether others approve of his/her methods.

Frankly, a moral compass that isn't at least a little flexible (in such circumstances as Arrival) would result in everyone getting killed. Thankfully, Shepard's not Rorschach, and appreciates a bit of black-and-grey morality. Bring on ME3 - I want to know how it ends.

Spacewolf:
did anyone else think it was some sort of saw knock DLC off a the begining of the film

Yes. I heard Harbinger/Jigsaw tell Shepard that it/he wants to play a game.

For all the people going "Paragon Shepard would never do such a thing!!!" I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

Saw it downloaded and played.

Kinda short but it felt like it was there to move the story along a bit and set up some SERIOUS stuff in Mass Effect 3 which is all good.

I kinda got the feel it was suppose to be a Stealth Mission (in my opinion) if the guns were silenced because I got to the doctor without fireing a shot (I thought there was a Achivement for doing that :P)

In the end...

One more thing

poiumty:

Wow, that kinda makes all of your other posts invalid. Mass Effect was meant to be a trilogy from the beginning. They even said so when announcing the first game.

Nimcha:

poiumty:

Wow, that kinda makes all of your other posts invalid. Mass Effect was meant to be a trilogy from the beginning. They even said so when announcing the first game.

Maybe. But they still changed the writers, which led to some retarded situations in the sequel.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here