Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age II

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Does every fantasy story need to be about saving the world from some great evil? Can't it be about some guy/girl trying to survive in a hostile town throughout the years? Now I haven't played the game (mixed reviews and obscene price tag) so I don't know how they handle it, but the premise itself certainly has potential. I understand it can seem a bit disjointed if you're not working towards something overall but doesn't mean it can't work right?
Besides, western RPG world-threatening horrors are nearly always really, really boring. If where they succeed is the dialogue, characters and execution then is there anything wrong with putting the focus on that?
Not sure where I'm going with this, looks like I've just wasted your time. Sucker.

Oddly enough, this review was kinder than many I've seen.

I'm not even joking.

Fnarr Fnarr, or course. i preferred DA1 as well.

Few things i disagree with this vid is. Most characters do not look like there dragon age: origins counterparts(see Qunari).

Also the story might not resolve anything it does set up a really screwed up world that looks very interresting

THANK YOU, Yahtzee. Even though I almost certainly could have predicted how this review would have turned out, it's nice to see a review where the reviewer isn't throwing out an 8 or 9 score simply because they're mystified by the complex combat i.e.: mashing the A button until it breaks.

So. I take it he's playing on the console.
Well I can see it sucks on the consoles then.

I knew we would get an honest review from him.....I'll go now.

ShenCS:
Does every fantasy story need to be about saving the world from some great evil? Can't it be about some guy/girl trying to survive in a hostile town throughout the years? Now I haven't played the game (mixed reviews and obscene price tag) so I don't know how they handle it, but the premise itself certainly has potential. I understand it can seem a bit disjointed if you're not working towards something overall but doesn't mean it can't work right?
Besides, western RPG world-threatening horrors are nearly always really, really boring. If where they succeed is the dialogue, characters and execution then is there anything wrong with putting the focus on that?
Not sure where I'm going with this, looks like I've just wasted your time. Sucker.

It probably shouldn't tease some great epic evil throughout the game if it's "just about" that. Also, it probably shouldn't be part two of a franchise where you deal with epic battles and nasty evil things.

LOL Finally. As always Good job yahtzee

I named my guy 'Hawk Hawke' that way I felt like they were saying my first name. It stupid on paper but it's not like they ever call your brother Hawke or anyone else that name.

I also had a gray warden named "Wardin"

"YAY! NEW ZP!!

Moderator Edit: Watch the entire video before posting."

Ok, I have a legitimate question, if people are going to be put on probation for posting before the video's time-length why don't you just enable the comments 6 minutes after the video goes up? Also why is it only Zero Punctiation you set trap cards for when your other videos don't have the same problem? (Lisa Foiles, Extra Credits, etc)

Loved this review, probably because I've been wanting to see the game get reamed more than most. I think DA2 killed the last shred of Bioware fondness I'd been hanging onto since KOTOR.

Thespian:
Everything he said here was true, but it was also what I liked about the game. I prefer a story that's just about some Refugee guy who's life is fucked up and gets a few lucky breaks and then makes a name for himself. Why does it have to be more? Why must the fate of EVERYTHING EVER constantly rest on THE ONE LAST HOPE OF EVERYTHING EVER? Okay, so if every story was about some random guy trying to make it in the world we'd get bored, but I thought DAII was a nice refreshing perspective. There was no good or evil, just several displaced political groups and a desperate need for some coin.

I agree, and I liked most of the companions and especially their banter. But I have to agree with the people who say it needed another 6-12 months dev time to make it great. I'm sad the brilliant storytelling potential is being overshadowed by lazy gameplay choices, and the plot kind of falls apart at the end. I found this review to be the fairest I've read.

200, Stream not found, NetStream.Play.StreamNotFound, clip: '[Clip] 'http://video2.themis-media.com/c71a134dedbb9c8864f1287b663e878f/mp4_hq/escapist/zero-punctuation/791672210c4281cd39636359f2791fb6.mp4''

It's broken :S

(Opera Version 11.01 Build 1190 (newest))

But judging from the comments: it seems like not for all. I'll edit this if I get it to work.

EDIT: The high-quality Flash version seems to be the broken one. HTML 5 works.

I've yet to see anyone say they played the game with a Ebon Hawke... Am I going to be the first one then? Bagsy I came up with the idea first!!! Have to get the game and play as the Champion-ship of KOTORwall. Anyone get the reference?

Another great ZP Yathzee, humourous to the boot with the usual quota of crude jokes and analytical opinions that make it what it is always.

Heh you pretty much summed up my experience of games like Oblivion, Fallout 3 DA 1 and now this aswell.

Copy pasted and stretched out.

Witcher 2 here i come.

Good review overall. I wasn't really interested in DO2 in the first place, but this just makes me want to play it even less. Besides, I got enough unfinished games on my shelf collecting dust before I delve into another time parasite like this.

Thank you Yahtzee! You said everything I was thinking!

Its so funny because its true >_<. basically sums up my thoughts perfectly.

So it's another phoned in sequel eh? Of course I don't blame Bioware for this, I blame EA.
I still don't get the whole developer/publisher relationship though.

I wasn't planning on wasting my money on this garbage, but now I'm DAMN sure I won't.

It's nice to see that there's still someone over at The Escapist not on Bioware's payroll.

I like the game, Zero P only pointed out what was wrong with it, maybe it's supposed to be a trilogy or something, like with Half Life 2 it has no real beginning or end so it has to take up space and introduce a relevant plot to keep us appeased for the next game that comes out.

I just registered, that is to say, I just decided to stop hiding the fact that I watched all your videos about three times each, so what I found amusing is that the actual comment section is a thread in the forum. But anyway, before I get to my main point...

I'd love to also point out that your talking speed and huge variety of vocabulary improved my English skills by about 3 years of school teachings, so I have to thank you big time. Also my teachers fear me more, as my speaking speed also increased dramatically, but I take that as a little side effect which might wear off some time next year.

Now to the point of the review. I agree, as I have already seen tons of other reviews of DAII, that there are defenders of the complete contrast opinions on the game. As such I decided not to even consider looking at the game before someone I can trust can express his opinion. And now I have it, the opinion I was looking for.

Staying away from the game now shines as the sun on a hot summer day, and I shall avoid its burning rays by playing some Minecraft.

I'm just holding out for the third game which will pick up after Hawke has already retired and taken to running a bar, he can just tell stories about all the cool stuff he used to do. Without the flashbacks.

I just have to say, Yahtzee, since when does an RPG have to be about a hero saving the world?? For all the bitching and moaning about lack of change in the industry, and fantasy RPG's specifically, it seems like a nice change to have a game simply about a man (or woman) who does a few epic things to become rich and famous in a city.

Also... (laughing) You played it on console! Oh you poor bastard. After the shit combat that was DA:O, I made sure to get DA2 on PC. Combat is actually quite fun now!

B Goy:
I'm guessing I'm the only one who got the Daily Mail reference?

Damn, now i feel silly for not noticing it sooner :P

Dragon Age: Gobbing off? Nah......that's too British. This game isn't based in Ferelden, AKA NOT England.

OT: The one word to describe Dragon Age 2, it seems, is "unnecessary". Bioware have their hands full now with ME3 and Old Republic, and they shouldn't have BOTHERED.

It's not like we would've committed mass suicide without Dragon Age for another year. Why not just release a fucking DLC to bridge gaps, like ME2 is doing?

I would probably buy a game called Racism Age :(

B Goy:
I'm guessing I'm the only one who got the Daily Mail reference?

I got it unfortunately.

You let Anders pitch? I mean, I know he gets the RAGE pretty bad, but you've gotta show that bitch who's boss!

Kheapathic:
I was honestly expecting a bigger rant on the dungeon recycling.

Me too I am almost disapointed

I'm disappointed he played the console version...

Play Dragon Age 2 on the PC. Even with the weird console-friendly changes you still have better control over your characters. Perhaps you even wouldn't be confused about controlling a character with *GASP* a different skillset! Is this honestly a complaint? Have you never played party-based RPGs before?

To be honest: He does point out the several flaws in Dragon Age 2 that make the game look like a hastily made cash-in. Still... Yahtzee always manages it to include statements that seriously irritate me.

I'm almost afraid to watch.

Edit: Not quite as bad as I feared, not as good as I'd hoped. Still, he did play the whole thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here