The Escapist Presents: Nintendo 3DS Launch Overview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Nintendo 3DS Launch Overview

The Escapist takes a look at the 3DS and several launch titles.

Watch Video

This video pretty much sums it up. The launch line up wasn't exactly spectacular, but a lot of the games over the horizon hold a lot of promise. I'd rather they take the time to get the games right than them having rushed to release them in time for launch.

High quality stream isn't working. "200, stream not found"

I'd actually quite like the 3DS, if only to replace my old, clunky original DS that's become very dog-eared over the years. And i'd like the use of an analogue stick thing.

The only thing that bugs me is according to several reviews about the launch titles for the 3DS, most appear to be highly negative. Typical shovelware for release.

Maybe i should wait for Zelda and Mario to inevitably...

*Puts glasses on*

...Pop Up.

YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHH.

Meme aside, great overview! It felt objective and informational.

Edit: Can old DS titles make use of the analogue stick, or is that only for new 3DS games?

Zelda's out in just over 2 months. It's not like it's gonna get any cheaper.

It's a pity they never did Pilotwings or Ghost Recon. Those two are brilliant. Samurai Warriors is decent too.

Kinda seems weird how everywhere else mentioned that Ridge Racer was one of the best for the 3D.

Wouldn't call anything shovelware tho. Calling these shovelware must make other launch titles like Halo and Perfect Dark 0 shovelware also XD

I demo'd a 3DS yesterday, and while it was a neat piece of hardware, I'd certainly echo the comment that the 3D can be quite unforgiving about moving the position of the unit or your head even a little- which makes one wonder how much use the gyroscope sensor is actually going to get.

A few other questions I have remain unanswered, though:

1) I had heard that early versions of Lego Star Wars on the 3DS had problems maintaining frame rate with the 3D effect turned on; was that problem optimized out for the final version?

2) Any word on the 3DS equivalent of DSiWare?

3) Word was that the 3DS was going to have 3D movies on offer, and apparently Netflix will have a version of their software for the 3DS (though apparently only for 2D movies, at least to start.) Any word on either of these features? It's a lot easier to contemplate buying the 3DS as a multipurpose entertainment device than only as a game system.

4) Speaking of which, does it, like the DSi, play music, but only in M4A rather than the MP3 format most everyone continues to use?

I'd love to try it out, though most likely wouldn't buy it, unless the 3D stuff was extremely amazing. I'm just not into handheld gaming, though that may be because I've never even tried it out besides playing Angry Birds a few times on my friends Iphone.

A nice review.

Callate:

An update is scheduled for late May.

3) Word was that the 3DS was going to have 3D movies on offer, and apparently Netflix will have a version of their software for the 3DS (though apparently only for 2D movies, at least to start.) Any word on either of these features? It's a lot easier to contemplate buying the 3DS as a multipurpose entertainment device than only as a game system.

Apparently, this update will also be in late May.

4) Speaking of which, does it, like the DSi, play music, but only in M4A rather than the MP3 format most everyone continues to use?

It plays both MP3 and ACC (ie .m4a, .mp4 or .3gp) files.

Callate:
I demo'd a 3DS yesterday, and while it was a neat piece of hardware, I'd certainly echo the comment that the 3D can be quite unforgiving about moving the position of the unit or your head even a little- which makes one wonder how much use the gyroscope sensor is actually going to get.

A few other questions I have remain unanswered, though:

1) I had heard that early versions of Lego Star Wars on the 3DS had problems maintaining frame rate with the 3D effect turned on; was that problem optimized out for the final version?

I'll try and answer.

1.) It does seem to have been fixed. I got the chance to play it for a few mins and didn't notice anything then.

2.) I believe Nintendo announced some sort of DSiWare. I recall somebody saying to hold onto the stuff you have as they may be able to transfer.

3.) Nintendo announced that they'll be using Sky Sports, Netfix, Shaun the Sheep etc but again it'll come as some sort of update. Rumour has it from some of the top brass that hey have green lighted the One Piece/Toriko special to be released once it's run in the cinemas is over. Whether or not we'll get it west remains to be seen.

4.)I dunno the file type but I've had no problems putting stuff over from my Ipod onto it using the SD card. It plays MP3 files no bother. Also uses a nifty looking Starfox background.

One thing I am curious about is how wearing glasses affects the 3D aspect, i.e. do you have to be more precise with your view perspective to maintain the 3D effect.

Launch titles are 'meh' but I'm getting one, if only for Ocarina of Time (portable! *sqweee!*)
and Star Fox 64 3D (that is going to make alot of people ill with the 3D-ness)

How much do people move their consoles? I mean, I've previewed one, and it didn't make much difference really.

I'll say this though, as a vehement critic of 3D films and all of this fuss, the 3DS blew me the fuck away. It's an incredible bit of kit, not just "neat". Street Fighter is going to be awesome, and so will some of the upcoming titles. Shame I can't afford one though

Gralian:
Edit: Can old DS titles make use of the analogue stick, or is that only for new 3DS games?

Playing Pokemon with the analogue stick now ^.^

Callate:

Yeah, on top of which you get your old games from DSiWare, if you owned a DSi.

Callate:

I put some mp3s on it earlier, which play fine (i.e. no more irritating converting :D)

Hope this helps. Ps great review!

I have to say I see two reasons to purchase a 3DS right at this point in time.

1) You REALLY love Nintendo, and gobble up every thing they put out,

or

2) You never bought a DS and wanted to play DS games, but were waiting for the 3DS so you could play newer games too.

Personally I bought one because of #2.

whats the track you have playing in the background here? Sounds like a wolfgang gartner i've never heard.

Braedan:

or

2) You never bought a DS and wanted to play DS games, but were waiting for the 3DS so you could play newer games too.

There is Number 3, the reason I'm getting it:

3. There are several games that I will be getting in the near future and there's no reason I shouldn't get one at launch in anticipation.

yanipheonu:

3. There are several games that I will be getting in the near future and there's no reason I shouldn't get one at launch in anticipation.

Ah, good point. I didn't buy it just for the DS games, I do really want some of the upcoming ones too...

Braedan:

yanipheonu:

Ah, good point. I didn't buy it just for the DS games, I do really want some of the upcoming ones too...

Pretty much the same reason here as well. However my DS is nearly four years old here and the top screen is starting to flicker. I have to move the hinge around to get it to work, but I figured I might as well get a 3DS instead of repair/replace my DS.

To the video: Yeah, I didn't think a lot of the launch titles for the 3DS were that good either. The only one I can think of getting is the "Lego Star Wars" one but...Eh, I just don't see how that game is different from the other "Lego" games. I'm looking forward to Zelda 64 more. When is that Zelda 64 remake coming out for the 3DS?

millertime059:
One thing I am curious about is how wearing glasses affects the 3D aspect, i.e. do you have to be more precise with your view perspective to maintain the 3D effect.

Perhaps. I wear pretty strong glasses, and I had to turn the slider down to about halfway in order to make the 3D acceptable - with the slider all the way up, I was getting sick. The 3d should work for you no matter what - by which I mean you'll see 3d images - but you will likely need to tinker with it a bit to get it to a spot that is comfortable for you. What that spot is differs from person to person.

@Tiswas - Two different people (myself and Greg Tito) both played Ridge Racer and it made both of us woozy. The 3d effect is very nice when you've got it in place, but it's very easy to lose that sweet spot, making everything blurry.

I've got a 3DS and Ridge Racer - Ridge Racer's sweet spot for the 3D is sometimes hard to keep on track, but I play it on the train, standing and most often can keep myself in the sweet spot without much trouble. It's never made me nauseous, and I feel it's an excellent use of the 3D. Just saying.

Tiswas:
Zelda's out in just over 2 months.

No it isn't...
Or did I miss an update where Nintendo said "Just kidding! Zelda isn't really outside the launch window that streches to July!"?

i personally think I'm going to wait for RE: Mercenaries to come out before getting a 3ds, or some similar game that interests me equally.

I only have Rayman 3D. I had hoped you would have described the quality of that one as well so I could get an impression on how good the 3D on the other games are compared to it.

yanipheonu:

Braedan:

or

You could also add number 4 - that you never owned a Nintendo handheld before and want a device that can play all DS games, new 3DS games and eventually a handful of GB/GBC/GBA games.

i've missed you Susan! you and Funk are my favorite members of the escapist!

ace_the_poet:
I've got a 3DS and Ridge Racer - Ridge Racer's sweet spot for the 3D is sometimes hard to keep on track, but I play it on the train, standing and most often can keep myself in the sweet spot without much trouble. It's never made me nauseous, and I feel it's an excellent use of the 3D. Just saying.

I think it's very much going to be a "your mileage may vary" situation for people, because everyone's vision is different. Glad to hear it doesn't make you sick, though. :)

As long as 3DS continues the DS tradition of excellent games, it's a great handheld. 3D or no 3D, it's the games that count. I haven't really found a must-have yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

Pilotwings was a launch title but it was nowhere to be seen in the video, except as part of the snippet of upcoming games. Very confused, as that's the title I picked up at launch! But this video does make me want to go out and pick up Lego Star Wars, as I don't have the game for any other console and I wouldn't mind a new action game to play. I do like Pilotwings but my biggest gripe is that the "free flight" is set to two minute intervals, and thus finding all the secrets gets very tricky. Importantly, for a flight sim, the controls have a nice sensitivity to them and the 3D is quite nice when you're flying with the plane (wasn't so enthused with the 3D when using the jetpack because of the intense amount of concentration you need to apply while operating the jets). But the game does set you to very easy tasks that aren't really so fun off the bat, and it takes quite a while to unlock better ranks with more exciting missions. It doesn't have the immediacy the other Pilotwings games had, which stretches out the length of the game.

Definitely would pick one up for myself if I had some spare cash, but I guess I should get that spare cash and sort out some bills before I go making too many plans =(

I dont plan on getting a 3DS until either an AMAZING game comes out, or when the 3DS Lite is lauched. Which ever comes first.

daxterx2005:
I dont plan on getting a 3DS until either an AMAZING game comes out, or when the 3DS Lite is lauched. Which ever comes first.

There won't be a 3DS Lite. Iwata (sp?) said outright that they made it as small as possible from the get-go using all the same tricks they used on the DS Lite. That's probably a good thing, as it's already surprisingly close in size to the Lite.

Making it BIGGER on the other hand...

As a big fan of SS4 I bought a 3DS on launch day but it's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars that has been the better game. The use of 3D to bring depth to the maps is great!

Palademon:

Tiswas:
Zelda's out in just over 2 months.

No it isn't...
Or did I miss an update where Nintendo said "Just kidding! Zelda isn't really outside the launch window that streches to July!"?

This was posted around quite a bit yesterday on quite a few reliable places.

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/03/30/nintendo-3ds-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-for-nintendo-3ds-out-june-17th/

daxterx2005:

Yeah I waited for the second incarnation of the DS and felt better off for it. Just like before I'll just take this opportunity to go though the back catalogue of portable games and wait for a system with a decent battery and other nice features.

I cant wait for OOT 3D. Also people need to see that even without the 3D the 3DS is capable of better graphics than the previous systems which (hopefully) means better games for a handheld regardless of 3D. Other than that I got it at launch because I had a DSi XL to trade and I wasnt going to wait until it was devalued as a trade-in. $100 is a lot more than I expected to get for it.

Susan Arendt:

millertime059:

Perhaps. I wear pretty strong glasses, and I had to turn the slider down to about halfway in order to make the 3D acceptable - with the slider all the way up, I was getting sick. The 3d should work for you no matter what - by which I mean you'll see 3d images - but you will likely need to tinker with it a bit to get it to a spot that is comfortable for you. What that spot is differs from person to person.

@Tiswas - Two different people (myself and Greg Tito) both played Ridge Racer and it made both of us woozy. The 3d effect is very nice when you've got it in place, but it's very easy to lose that sweet spot, making everything blurry.

Fair enough, I kind of figured that there would be some adjustments because everyone has a different focal point etc. The slider sounds like a very smart piece of engineering. I for one have never been able to enjoy 3D tech at any level because of my glasses. I've seen a (small) few movies in 3D at theaters, and I get a headache from the glasses on top of the glasses. I've not seen anything yet to enhance the experience with the gimmick, and I'm not convinced this is any different. Neat tech to be sure, but as someone who isn't very concerned with the shiny I don't see the appeal really.

I know you said that Starfox was improved by using the 3D capabilities, but will you remember the game because the 3D really made it better? Or will you remember it for being a neat bit of tech, that ultimately didn't make the game play better, only look cooler? Ultimately I won't be sold on 3D until someone can show me how it enables game experiences otherwise impossible without it.

I'm interested in a 3DS as a tech piece, but as a gaming piece, not so much. I've got an old DS (1st gen) that has been gathering dust since... oh about 2006 :/

Disclaimer: if they release Minecraft 3DS consider my money theirs.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here