The Escapist Presents: Nintendo 3DS Launch Overview

Pages PREV 1 2

millertime059:

Susan Arendt:

millertime059:
One thing I am curious about is how wearing glasses affects the 3D aspect, i.e. do you have to be more precise with your view perspective to maintain the 3D effect.

Perhaps. I wear pretty strong glasses, and I had to turn the slider down to about halfway in order to make the 3D acceptable - with the slider all the way up, I was getting sick. The 3d should work for you no matter what - by which I mean you'll see 3d images - but you will likely need to tinker with it a bit to get it to a spot that is comfortable for you. What that spot is differs from person to person.

@Tiswas - Two different people (myself and Greg Tito) both played Ridge Racer and it made both of us woozy. The 3d effect is very nice when you've got it in place, but it's very easy to lose that sweet spot, making everything blurry.

Fair enough, I kind of figured that there would be some adjustments because everyone has a different focal point etc. The slider sounds like a very smart piece of engineering. I for one have never been able to enjoy 3D tech at any level because of my glasses. I've seen a (small) few movies in 3D at theaters, and I get a headache from the glasses on top of the glasses. I've not seen anything yet to enhance the experience with the gimmick, and I'm not convinced this is any different. Neat tech to be sure, but as someone who isn't very concerned with the shiny I don't see the appeal really.

I know you said that Starfox was improved by using the 3D capabilities, but will you remember the game because the 3D really made it better? Or will you remember it for being a neat bit of tech, that ultimately didn't make the game play better, only look cooler? Ultimately I won't be sold on 3D until someone can show me how it enables game experiences otherwise impossible without it.

I'm interested in a 3DS as a tech piece, but as a gaming piece, not so much. I've got an old DS (1st gen) that has been gathering dust since... oh about 2006 :/

Disclaimer: if they release Minecraft 3DS consider my money theirs.

Oh, for sure, at the moment, the sum total of the 3D experience is "hey, neat." None of the games are worse when played in 2d, and though Star Wars (not Starfox) gains some nice visual aesthetic from the 3D effect, it's hardly necessary to enjoy the game.

Team Hollywood:
Nintendo 3DS Launch Overview

The Escapist takes a look at the 3DS and several launch titles.

Watch Video

I'm just underwhelmed. Aside from the obvious marketing nightmare of selling 3D via 2D advertising, it's $100 more for a gimmick that, to hear anyone tell it, is "pretty cool for awhile."

I think it's an interesting product, but a bit pricey for its apparent target audience. Too much, too soon, too bad.

Susan Arendt:
Oh, for sure, at the moment, the sum total of the 3D experience is "hey, neat." None of the games are worse when played in 2d, and though Star Wars (not Starfox) gains some nice visual aesthetic from the 3D effect, it's hardly necessary to enjoy the game.

I really have to wonder if there are enough game experiences that really benefit from 3D to warrant the creation of an entire $250 system, though. It's a helluva price for experimental novelty.

I mean, there are games that can benefit from that increase of visual depth... but are those usually games intended for a portable system? And are they games that are usually for more casual audiences? I'm just getting a sense that this product suffers from a stunning lack of a cohesive (wait, let me get my shades) vision.

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat so I have a new batch of really cheesey, family friendly, "OH MA GAWD!" adverts I have to sit through... FUN TIMEZ!!!

I really dislike Nintendo and it's 3 good games, I especially dislike the DS but I hate all handhelds, I hate the whole motion control thing, I just pretend Wii, move and kinect don't exist, but the whole 3D thing does intrigue me, but my only problem is I don't think it will look as impressive on a tiny handheld screen, I'll probably end up waiting until the Xbox 3D Xperience makes it's debut and I can play Assassin's Creed 5 on my 3D tv.

I really wish this weren't region locked. I was planning on buying it at launch in anticipation of some upcoming titles that look great, but I'll be in Japan all next year so that plan went out the window. Who would want to spend $250 on something like this if they could only use it for games that come out before September?

The Diabolical Biz:

Gralian:
Edit: Can old DS titles make use of the analogue stick, or is that only for new 3DS games?

Playing Pokemon with the analogue stick now ^.^

Callate:
2) Any word on the 3DS equivalent of DSiWare?

Yeah, on top of which you get your old games from DSiWare, if you owned a DSi.

Callate:
4) Speaking of which, does it, like the DSi, play music, but only in M4A rather than the MP3 format most everyone continues to use?

I put some mp3s on it earlier, which play fine (i.e. no more irritating converting :D)

Hope this helps. Ps great review!

wait, how would i go about getting music on it? :O

They had a demo station set up at Dundas Square today so I got to try out a 3DS and I gotta say the 3d-ness is pretty good. Not to mention the analog stick feels really nice (to me anyways).

To hit the sweet spot with the stereoscopy is pretty hard... "A game with Impressive 3D " for one person is an invitation for another to puke their entrails out when they see it. And using stereoscopy for gameplay is an even bigger mistake - under no circumstances should you force the player to keep it turned on.

And the rules to make accessible stereo are written long ago by the movie industry... they are battling these problems for years now.. - no excessive popping out of the screen and so on.

Susan Arendt:
Oh, for sure, at the moment, the sum total of the 3D experience is "hey, neat."

if the developers have done their job right and you can play it for hours with stereo turned on , and it looks neat at the same time, then they have hit the mythical 3D sweet spot, but from what I hear and see they haven't.

btw http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/03/nintendo-backs-away-from-3ds-games-that-require-3d-others-may-follow.ars

No mention of Rayman? I enjoyed it.

Dastardly:

I really have to wonder if there are enough game experiences that really benefit from 3D to warrant the creation of an entire $250 system, though. It's a helluva price for experimental novelty.

Well that's really the trick now isn't it. My whole lump sum feeling on the Wii when it debuted was that it would outsell the competition, not because of motion control, but because of price. I saw motion control as a novelty with potential. That's pretty much what it has become. There are games that are improved by the addition of motion control, but they are rare.

Excuse me if you've heard this in a Wii review before, 'the game is fun, but the motion controls feel tacked on/ slow/ sloppy/ pointless/ irritating/ etc'. When done right it adds to the game. When done wrong it either doesn't add, or actively subtracts from the game. 3D I see much the same, but with less upside that I can think of. The next time 3D is essential to enjoy the experience will be the first (imo).

Susan Arendt:

Oops, my bad. That's what I get for posting on an empty stomach :p

I didn't literally mean a 3DS lite >.>
I just meant the successor the the 3DS....
Silly

Urgh76:

Power it down (right down, not just sleep) open up the SD card slot on the side. Pop out your 2GB SD card. Insert into computer. Copy your music files onto it. Put it back into your 3DS.

I haven't tried using a USB cable with a micro-usb port into the power input yet. So not sure if you can transfer files that way.

It has no trouble dealing with folders and the like (up to 8 levels deep, apparantly) and can handle 100 songs per folder.

Once you've got music on it, you can play the music to different visualizers. One of which is a tiny little "keep the ball up in the air game" (How the hell it's a "visualizer" I have no clue, but there it is..)

Poor Sackboy.

Mahorfeus:

daxterx2005:
I dont plan on getting a 3DS until either an AMAZING game comes out, or when the 3DS Lite is lauched. Which ever comes first.

There won't be a 3DS Lite. Iwata (sp?) said outright that they made it as small as possible from the get-go using all the same tricks they used on the DS Lite. That's probably a good thing, as it's already surprisingly close in size to the Lite.

Yeah. I always knew that the 3DS wasn't regular DS sized, but when I first saw one in person I was very surprised as all the pictures and videos made me feel like it was a big system. Then I see it and it's basically the same size as the DS Lite and DSi. A bit of a surprise there. And I can safely say I wouldn't want it to be any smaller, even if that was possible. It seems like making it smaller would make it much harder to hold.

Kwil:
I haven't tried using a USB cable with a micro-usb port into the power input yet. So not sure if you can transfer files that way.

The power input isn't a USB micro port, so no, that obviously will not work. The 3DS has the same plug/port as the DSi, so if you've seen that, then you know. If not, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v611/mjc0961/Image1-1.jpg

Kwil:

Urgh76:

Power it down (right down, not just sleep) open up the SD card slot on the side. Pop out your 2GB SD card. Insert into computer. Copy your music files onto it. Put it back into your 3DS.

It has no trouble dealing with folders and the like (up to 8 levels deep, apparantly) and can handle 100 songs per folder.

Once you've got music on it, you can play the music to different visualizers. One of which is a tiny little "keep the ball up in the air game" (How the hell it's a "visualizer" I have no clue, but there it is..)

Thanks a bunch!

So, have any of the 3DSes used for this review got the 'slightly wobbly hinge' issue? I ask because it looked pretty sturdy in the video but it seems like a whole lot of people have that problem.

I want this one so bad...tried it in my local gamestop today...however only possible outcome for me to afford one is to get the discount for changing with a DS lite...however I still play advance games, and my SP is busted ;_;

Urgh76:

The Diabolical Biz:

Gralian:
Edit: Can old DS titles make use of the analogue stick, or is that only for new 3DS games?

Playing Pokemon with the analogue stick now ^.^

Callate:
2) Any word on the 3DS equivalent of DSiWare?

Yeah, on top of which you get your old games from DSiWare, if you owned a DSi.

Callate:
4) Speaking of which, does it, like the DSi, play music, but only in M4A rather than the MP3 format most everyone continues to use?

I put some mp3s on it earlier, which play fine (i.e. no more irritating converting :D)

Hope this helps. Ps great review!

It comes with a 2GB SD card that you can pop into your computer and click and drag, as far as I'm aware.

No one's going to do it? All right. I'll do it. RIIIIDDDGE RACERRRRR!

Seriously though in a year from now I'll probably buy it when it's price has been reduced and when Kingdom hearts 3ds and megaman legends 3 comes out.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here