Critical Miss: Nintendo vs. Rovio

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

To be fair, Nintendo doesn't make most of the shovelware themselves.

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

The thing is, you could replace these two guys with 99% of the game CEO's and it'd still be the same joke.

Why can't people just say things like "It's a good game. I'd play it."

Soooooo... Who's she betting on?

Girls, Girls you're both whores. Get over it!

Whoever loses, Mojang AB Wins!

No matter who loses, I win.

Also, I have never understood how fair competition at a lower price can "ruin" an industry.

The_root_of_all_evil:
The thing is, you could replace these two guys with 99% of the game CEO's and it'd still be the same joke.

Out of fear that they wouldn't improve games for the next year

Gotta love a good slap fight.

...and I see what you did there. Niiiiice.

Erin in the last panel scared me. Maybe because I had my eyes locked on her lower lip for most of the comic.

Onyx Oblivion:

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

LET'S DANCE!

I'm a Nintendo fan, but Erin made me laugh my heart out this time. :D

le picklez:

The_root_of_all_evil:

But this isn't WWE, they don't have to get into slapfights over every new release. Most of us stopped that in the playground.

The_root_of_all_evil:

le picklez:

The_root_of_all_evil:

But this isn't WWE, they don't have to get into slapfights over every new release. Most of us stopped that in the playground.

True, but complaining is alot of fun, innit?

The_root_of_all_evil:

le picklez:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Speak for yourself.

*gets the slapping gloves ready*

OT: Fancy words aside, company feuds are basically this with money and jobs on the line.

I like the fact she's betting on both.
Well played

le picklez:

True, but complaining is alot of fun, innit?

But if I'd known I'd get paid for it in later life...I've had tried harder at school.

Wait wait waaaait. People pay for Angry Birds? I got mine for free <.<

For the record, March Madness would have been at least a million times better if the developers featured actually fought that way for our enjoyment.

Onyx Oblivion:

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

Hey, now, I love Mario Party. Ok, they made too many of them, I'll definitely grant you that, but Mario Party 3 was actually a lot of fun.

So she's betting on Rovio cuz Nintendo doesn't make the casual shovelware

Onyx Oblivion:

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

No, they just shovel out an unending stream of sequels!

UltraXan:

Thats what im wondering also...

UltraXan:

Damn you for stealing my joke.

Just...damn you.

If it were any dev besides Rovio, I'd say Nintendo wasn't right. They had a point, but a flawed overall arguement.

But I hate Rovio. All they did was take a flash game, one that you'd probably find on Newgrounds or some other site, put birds as the cannonballs, and now their one of the bigshots in the indie scene, a fucking insult to indie devs who MAKE THEIR OWN DAMN GAMES.

Also, in defense of Nintendo, Mario Party excluded, Nintendo themselves don't make most of the shovelware. Hell, if you want to blame Nintendo for all the party and mini game collections, how about we blame Infinity Ward for all of the modern realistic FPS games? It's not Nintendo's fault for the shovelware, it's the companies who made it's fault for trying to cash in on a fad with no regards to quality. Sure, some blame goes to Nintendo for letting them put it on the Wii, but like I said, don't blame the one who started the trend for those who follow it poorly.

shintakie10:
Wait wait waaaait. People pay for Angry Birds? I got mine for free <.<

Yeah, I played Crush the Castle too!

*ba dum tsssshh*

Fail insult from Rovio right there. But the best joke was what Erin said in the last panel. Round two of the duel will probably involve Mario and the Angry Birds duking it out to see who can take down a Bowser and Pigs alliance first. Oh and whether Mario can save the princess before the castle comes crashing down. Did I just make an idea for a business deal between Nintendo and Rovio?

Good comic, especially that last time because it's really aimed at both companies XD

I see what you did there.

Haha!

It-It's funny because they're both companies that made their fortunes from shilling casual nonsense to idiots who don't know any better!

Onyx Oblivion:

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

Heh. The sad thing is Mario Party is one of the highest quality minigame collection games out there. Even 8 is probably better than most of the crap out there....and 8 is crap.

Onyx Oblivion:

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

That's Hudson.

Mr. Omega:
If it were any dev besides Rovio, I'd say Nintendo wasn't right. They had a point, but a flawed overall arguement.

But I hate Rovio. All they did was take a flash game, one that you'd probably find on Newgrounds or some other site, put birds as the cannonballs, and now their one of the bigshots in the indie scene, a fucking insult to indie devs who MAKE THEIR OWN DAMN GAMES.

Also, in defense of Nintendo, Mario Party excluded, Nintendo themselves don't make most of the shovelware. Hell, if you want to blame Nintendo for all the party and mini game collections, how about we blame Infinity Ward for all of the modern realistic FPS games? It's not Nintendo's fault for the shovelware, it's the companies who made it's fault for trying to cash in on a fad with no regards to quality. Sure, some blame goes to Nintendo for letting them put it on the Wii, but like I said, don't blame the one who started the trend for those who follow it poorly.

Eh. A big fallacy is that the indie scene is pumping out highly original games when it isn't. Look at most of the big indie hits and you'll see they're fairly derivative. Well made but derivative. Angry birds is no exception.

As for Nintendo and shovelware. Nintendo makes a profit on every game sold for the Wii and like Microsoft and Sony, they decide which games can be certified for release as well as which devs get dev kits. They decide, perhaps indirectly, what kind of games can be released on their system and, like Sony with the PS2 before them, they decided to embrace shovelware chode. On a tremendous scale.

These comics get better and smarter every issue, thanks :)

did anyone notice Erin's Triforce tattoo?

Susan Arendt:

Onyx Oblivion:

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

Hey, now, I love Mario Party. Ok, they made too many of them, I'll definitely grant you that, but Mario Party 3 was actually a lot of fun.

Mario Party 2 will always be my favourite! And the Peach Cake level on the original, because it was just so novel...

Great as always, but i'm going to have to ask you to stop drawing in Erin's lower lip. It looks... strange.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here