Critical Miss: Nintendo vs. Rovio

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

LOL that was great.
Gay card cracked me up.
Really nice jokes here, keep it up^^

Whoever wins, we lose.

Ha ha! Is funny because her description could fit both companies! Is comedy genius!

Most of the time the shovelware crap is third party, but Nintendo does have their whole 'wii party' 'wii resort' and all that stuff.

Ok i love the writing and drawing done in this comic but please get rid of Erin's bottom lip, it just looks so awkward. I respect the artist trying something new but i mean... ew.

Gotta love a good slapfight. And since it's over what is ostensibly shovelware, let's get them shovels. Rovio deserves a good whack for making a flash game and pretending it's the shit, while Nintendo deserves a good whack for releasing My First Kirby Kirby's Epic Yarn and pretending to target the Kirby-loving audience. They are granted a free whack to Rovio for both galaxies and DKCR, however.

Great laughs from start to finish. XD

sheogoraththemad:
did anyone notice Erin's Triforce tattoo?

She's had that a very long time, Cheese-God.

Onyx Oblivion:
To be fair, Nintendo doesn't make most of the shovelware themselves.

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

Didn't Hudson Soft make the Mario Party games for Nintendo, or have I gone daft?

CM156:
No matter who loses, I win.

Also, I have never understood how fair competition at a lower price can "ruin" an industry.

It can, but an accurate explination is beyond me. I just trust the guys who research it.

Maybe because in order to compete with the indies nintendo would have to stop making wii's and only be a 3rd party game maker. That would cut enough job's a production costs to rival someone who's platform is made and sold by another company and who's publisher is a different company, and really he's only paying like 2 people and for the software he bought for his computer.

Again though that's just a guess. I don't really know

Rovio is the only one fighting as I don't recall Nintendo ever mentioning Rovio, unless someone can point me to a source.

WanderingFool:

UltraXan:
Soooooo... Who's she betting on?

Thats what im wondering also...

Her bet applies to both of them.

Anyone hoping for a double KO?

I know Erin wins in any case, but I think we all win a little in that scenario....

That last speech bubble makes it for me.

Pure win. :)

So is Zynga watching them through the closed circuit feed, petting a cat and muttering 'Just as planned'?

I forgot:
Rovio is the only one fighting as I don't recall Nintendo ever mentioning Rovio, unless someone can point me to a source.

Rhymes with...

jakefongloo:

CM156:
No matter who loses, I win.

Also, I have never understood how fair competition at a lower price can "ruin" an industry.

It can, but an accurate explination is beyond me. I just trust the guys who research it.

Maybe because in order to compete with the indies nintendo would have to stop making wii's and only be a 3rd party game maker. That would cut enough job's a production costs to rival someone who's platform is made and sold by another company and who's publisher is a different company, and really he's only paying like 2 people and for the software he bought for his computer.

Again though that's just a guess. I don't really know

Nintendo is actually the only member of the big three who makes a (fairly substantial) profit on every console sold. They've made far more than their competitors despite the fact the Wii has the lowest attach rate (last time I checked) of the three consoles. Not making Wii's is the worst thing they could do.

Unless you're being ironic with your post there.

Mr. Omega:

But I hate Rovio. All they did was take a flash game, one that you'd probably find on Newgrounds
or some other site, put birds as the cannonballs, and now their one of the bigshots in the indie scene, a fucking insult to indie devs who MAKE THEIR OWN DAMN GAMES.

This. This forever and always.

Behold THE TROOFINESS

Also, better art keeps getting better! :) (Although I'm still on the fence with Erin's bottom lip)

That was just. freaking brilliant!

My money's on nintendo after all they've been doing this for nearly 30 years.

Wow, serious art style change. Since when did Stout have lips?

UltraXan:

SL33TBL1ND:

UltraXan:

Laughing time is, apparently, over.

dancinginfernal:

sheogoraththemad:
did anyone notice Erin's Triforce tattoo?

She's had that a very long time, Cheese-God.

never noticed it

Is there some way for me to award the root of all evil with best animated gif forum tag?

Love the expression on the last Pane! XD

also looks like this is on her arm.

the hojo family crest :O (anyone who thought triforce Hah! XD)

DTWolfwood:

She's had that since Issue #3.

Yes, I looked...

Coincidentally, one dollar + forty-nine dollars is fifty dollars. Which you can use to go to buy a real game for your PS3 or XBOX! =D

Sir John the Net Knight:

DTWolfwood:

Yes, I looked...

Coincidentally, one dollar + forty-nine dollars is fifty dollars. Which you can use to go to buy a real game for your PS3 or XBOX! =D

where do you live where ps3 games are $50? :O

Tim Latshaw:

Onyx Oblivion:
To be fair, Nintendo doesn't make most of the shovelware themselves.

But then again...

MARIO PARTY

Didn't Hudson Soft make the Mario Party games for Nintendo, or have I gone daft?

I've been quoted on this mistake. They are indeed made by Hudson...but Nintendo will license Mario for any crap. And you need Nintendo's consent, plus they went ahead and published them. From soccer/football to baseball to 3v3 basketball featuring Final Fantasy characters. They'll let anyone besmirch the plumber's record. In anything but platformers. Which is odd, because when they let other developers take the reigns of their series, the results are usually good...Metroid Prime 1-3...Zelda: Oracles & Minish Cap...

DTWolfwood:

Sir John the Net Knight:

DTWolfwood:

Yes, I looked...

Recent Used Titles go for $50. Assuming you can find one.

Is funny because last panel is intentionally ambiguous. I get jokes.

To the artist: Did you watch Rubicon when it was on AMC? One of the characters had a Triforce tattoo on her wrist just like that.

DTWolfwood:

I live in a town where we have access to this thing called the internet. You should try it some time. Things are actually cheaper than in physical retail stores! It's amaaaaaaaazing!

(most games on Amazon are like $50 within a few weeks of release or less).

beema:

DTWolfwood:

I live in a town where we have access to this thing called the internet. You should try it some time. Things are actually cheaper than in physical retail stores! It's amaaaaaaaazing!

Sometimes I don't want to wait 5 days for my game to arrive in the mail.

Sir John the Net Knight:

Sometimes I don't want to wait 5 days for my game to arrive in the mail.

Well that's fine, then pay your $60+tax and don't complain.

Also, Amazon has (FREE) release-date delivery for pre-orders, and all their pre-orders are usually at least $5 cheaper than in stores. IMO you'd be pretty stupid not to go that route if you are buying something day one.

That said, I have a Prime membership since I buy so much stuff on there anyways, so I get everything in 2 days.

Sir John the Net Knight:

ah i c so if its a game that has an online pass you end up paying the same $60 new XD I had actually assumed u meant new ^-^

man used games here in NYC are usually sold at $45 for popular titles. Could have raised the price since the last time i've went to retail store, i.e. when i had to go pickup SC2:CE on release date

beema:

DTWolfwood:

/hands beema a cookie

aren't we a smart boy to know how to butt in on some1 else's conversation completely out of context. Go suck a lemon troll :P

DTWolfwood:
/hands beema a cookie

aren't we a smart boy to know how to butt in on some1 else's conversation completely out of context. Go suck a lemon troll :P

Uhh... as far as I know this is a public forum and if you want to have private conversations that no one can quote or comment on, you should probably do that in PM's, smart guy. Don't around yelling "troll" on every person's post you don't like.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here