Zero Punctuation: Pokemon White

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Pokemon White

This week, Zero Punctuation dispels some notions on why Pokemon hasn't been reviewed before.

Watch Video

After reading the latest Extra Punctuation, I saw this one coming.

Xman490:
After reading the latest Extra Punctuation, I saw this one coming.

Oh yeah, he mentioned something about a Tepig?

You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

The bane of Yahtzee's existence.

Besides, "catching them all" is no longer viable...or even the point, really. It's all about competitive play, with the advent of wi-fi in D/P/P.

And the game has changed a lot. The basic 8 gyms, 4 moves per pokemon, Rock/Paper/Scissors combat system hasn't. But the other mechanics have.

From the infinite TM use of B/W, to the infinite item bag after R/B/Y's STUPID limit, to the addition of Abilites in Gen 3, The Special split in Gen 2, the Special/Physical MOVE split in Gen 4, and even the removal/addition of new HMs for world exploration, to the key item mapping for easy Bike use.

Wow. I never saw this coming. I was sure he'd be reviewing Crysis 2.

I knew this was next, since I saw the Extra Punctuation segment yesterday. :D Awesome Yahtzee

Yeah the flying/electric type took me by suprise the first time I challenged that gym too. Whats worse is that she has 3/4 of them each with a TM move called Volt switch which damages you and swaps with a different member in her team, and here I thought that the Elite four were cheap.

Great review Yahtzee. I haven't played pokemon since Blue/Red, and it's nice to know I haven't missed anything in 15 years.

Didn't expect him to review a Pokemon

oh well guyss nothing else worth talking about came out in Australia recently

I never really got the attraction myself.. as you said, all they do is just add more of them, it's not like all 600whatever of them are totally unique.

I think I know why Yahtzee really doesn't like Pokemon.
It's because he hates going to the gym!

wow, that was hilarious. yahtzee, i asked for a jrpg and you delivered. thank you sir.

I hope he doesn't tell us in every EP now.
I love his pain metaphors :D

TehIrishSoap:
Yathzee reviewing Pokemon? ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!

Not, he already reviewed that game.

Anyway, I also was almost religiously devoted to Pokemon back in the day, but nowadays, I just don't really care that much anymore.

Onyx Oblivion:
You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

He should've done what I always do: Focus on strengthening my starter Pokemon. :3

You really should have picked up Pokemon Black, Yahtzee. It focuses on story rather than collecting a bunch of critters. At one point you have to choose whether to choose between your friend and your journey, with a branching story for each path. It's pretty much two entirely different games and it puts the Bioware writing staff to shame.

I'm sorry you had to get the wrong version to get back into what has become a great series.

I like how he complained about the effects that YOU CAN TURN OFF. I still like the games though.

Yeah, the climbing the tower thing pissed me off too.

For all its flaws, Pokemon's really satisfying, watching your cute little animals grow up to be world-crushers. Though the Elite 4 is really friggin' overpowered this time around.

Damn, he ripped pokemon apart. Now this is the yahtzee I know and enjoy.

I think most of us who read the EP saw it coming.

Loved the giant imp pokemon at the end :D

Onyx Oblivion:

Yeah but she had TWO of the little bastards! And they switched out every time they used whateverthefuck move it is she has.

Orwellian37:
I like how he complained about the effects that YOU CAN TURN OFF. I still like the games though.

I like how he complained that a function of a Japanese game works better in Japan. That's just crazy.

I'm suprisied, I definitely wasn't expecting this review, expected the content, but not the review.

Actually Yahtzee, I think the exact opposite of what you accused the vast majority of your viewers to think. If you don't review a game I like, I see that as a good sign, because I know that you don't find it good enough and if you do review it, you will pound it into the dirt and this might make my little idealistic world crumble :<

Only joking, I don't have to agree with everything everyone I respect says :D

Loop Stricken:

Onyx Oblivion:

Yeah but she had TWO of the little bastards! And they switched out every time they used whateverthefuck move it is she has.

Still the Rock Tomb TM was in the area before the gym, and most Ground types can learn it. And should have learned it, expecting Flying types or not.

Totally saw this coming with the unoriginal list of pokemon

The only Pokemon-featuring game I ever played was Super Smash Bros. It appears I made the right choice.

Blows my mind Yahtzee actually watched this show...in his early 20s. Pokemon games aren't as bad as many people make them out to be of course the only reason I play fire red is because I have it on my phone. Its a good time killer, though I have no ambitions of catching all the pokemon.

Meh, I'm totally happy living in crazy nutjob land :D

this actually made me laugh out loud. nice one Yahtzee.

wow. Loved watching this review! I was wondering when he would attack what was my favorite childhood franchise =D

Would just like to point out that no, N couldn't make any other friends in twat school. That was part of the point. He only had Pokemon for friends which left him a little bit mad.
Funny review though, christ the random encounter thing +1 so much. He isn't joking about some parts being every two goddamn steps. And you have to watch the little opening animation again and again but all you're going to do is run urgh. Although he apparently didn't figure out that walking actually decreased the encounter rate quite a bit. But damn if that isn't annoying too.

Pokemon is an awful game, I only played red pokemon in elementary school because it was the only game that was any good on the gameboy color.

shadowmagus:
Great review Yahtzee. I haven't played pokemon since Blue/Red, and it's nice to know I haven't missed anything in 15 years.

~ basing opinions off a ZP video? You should know better ;3

Heres the question he missed, what do the people in that world eat since every animal and most of the damn plants are pokemon?

I think a miltank would be quite tasty. Pikachu would probably be kind of stringy. They will probably resort to "iceberg lebtuce" soon.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here