Zero Punctuation: Pokemon White

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

I like pokemon, but I still loved this review, as I do actually agree with a lot of the holes in the game's logic being picked apart. I still long await the day when they'll actually put this franchise in full proper 3D. Maybe with the improved processors of the 3DS, perhaps, but as the man himself said, "There I go again on my dreamy little tangeants"!

Disliked this review.

While it was clear he actually did play the game, his criticisms are all moot.

Turn based is just how the game plays out. While its not YOUR cup of team, a real-time Pokemon game would be clunky.

As for "theres only one play style", thats wrong too. He said he power-grinded Pokemon to take on the gym, just because you can do massive damage to Pokemon of a weaker type. Thats not how I play the game at all. I have a team, which I teached varied moves, and I dont power-grind them. You can use Buff moves, intricate strategies, etc. OR choose to just balls-to-the-walls-grind and smash everything down with ease.

Part of the appeal of the game is that there are so many creatures: especially if you play the game competitively. Lots of mechanics to master. Once again, not everyones cup of tea.

He also complained about the ease, but also mentions how frustrating random encounters and the cycle of losing health/healing/losing health/healing etc. is.

The only good use for money in Pokemon is repels.

Wow that was an unexpected game review although I knew he wouldn't like the game. I got to admit it's true about trying find others who got the oppersite game that isn't your mate but hey that what GTs is for! (Well ok GTS is useless unless you had seen that missing Pokemon first).

I probably would have enjoyed this a lot better had my computer not chugged through it causing me to miss half the bloody images.

Jman1236:
Yeah the flying/electric type took me by suprise the first time I challenged that gym too. Whats worse is that she has 3/4 of them each with a TM move called Volt switch which damages you and swaps with a different member in her team, and here I thought that the Elite four were cheap.

That's actually really easy to counter, open with your slowest that is strong against flying and it'll use that move without fail but the second one will be hit so go with a heaviest attack move. Next move swap to a rock type to block the electric attack because it'll do it again and ko that weaken paper cannon before it can finish it's double team spamming to make itself untouchable.

Hmm... the gym leaders seem to have changed since I last played a Pokemon game.

I mean why cant the leader herself ring the bell? Why get a total stranger to do it?

Onyx Oblivion:
Besides, "catching them all" is no longer viable...or even the point, really. It's all about competitive play, with the advent of wi-fi in D/P/P.

Pokemon is now the middle school version of COD and Halo?

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Meh, I'm totally happy living in crazy nutjob land :D

Same here. Not that I don't think some valid negative points weren't made about the game. The random encounter rates are particularly irritating.

Falseprophet:

Personally, I believe the opposite is more likely to be true. In my experience more people in their latter teens are rocking the Pokémon whilst the early teens are more into your CoD or somesuch.

Onyx Oblivion:

Loop Stricken:

Onyx Oblivion:
You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

The bane of Yahtzee's existence.

Yeah but she had TWO of the little bastards! And they switched out every time they used whateverthefuck move it is she has.

Still the Rock Tomb TM was in the area before the gym, and most Ground types can learn it. And should have learned it, expecting Flying types or not.

Motor Drive ability works well, too. I didn't even know these were Flying types until later.

Russian_Assassin:
Actually Yahtzee, I think the exact opposite of what you accused the vast majority of your viewers to think. If you don't review a game I like, I see that as a good sign, because I know that you don't find it good enough and if you do review it, you will pound it into the dirt and this might make my little idealistic world crumble :<

Only joking, I don't have to agree with everything everyone I respect says :D

And so, the young russian assasin learned what true wisdom is...

I was expecting a reference to Anders, sadly I was disappointed.

An entertaining video, to be sure. While I agree with what was said i it, I still enjoy the series quite well (and, before you ask, the name was chosen because I couldn't think of anything clever to put in when I registered). Its still good fun, even though it doesn't do a 180 every time a new version comes out. Oh, and im not mad, my friend told me so.

I concur with the mention of Emolga in the Electric gym. Considering 2/3 of the pokemon there were emolgas, luckily I still had a rocktype with a move that could punch them back to the ground, har har har.
Ahem, anyway, no mention of how this time around they made it painfully obvious that all gym leaders now have a day time job. The electric lady saying every other line that she is a model...

I have a question. Only pokemons exist in the world? I mean, without the normal animals what people do for meat? Pikachu BBQ?

GiantRaven:

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
Meh, I'm totally happy living in crazy nutjob land :D

Same here. Not that I don't think some valid negative points weren't made about the game. The random encounter rates are particularly irritating.

That's why you stock up on max repels :D

Love the subtle description of N. :D

Srsly though, why does he make you ride a ferris wheel with him?
Anyway, as much as I love Pokemon Black, this was a hilarious review. I agree that some of the new pokemon are fucking stupid.

Falseprophet:

Onyx Oblivion:
Besides, "catching them all" is no longer viable...or even the point, really. It's all about competitive play, with the advent of wi-fi in D/P/P.

Do you know what Pokemon REALLY is?

It's secretly the deepest competitive strategy game ever.

IT HAS TIER LISTS

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/intro_comp_pokemon

Pokemon Black was the first Pokemon game I ever played (borrowed it from a friend), and this pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

Onyx Oblivion:

I can't tell you how hard I laughed at that.

Though I didn't really expect Yahtzee to talk about competitive MP.

Saw that one coming a mile away after reading the extra punctuation section. I see I'm not the only one who wants to strangle N.. It really seems like the latest batch of gyms and Elite 4 make you think - that flying electric type Emolga in the Electric gym is an excellent example.

Funny stuff as usual. I agree about N.

Also,

Pokemon Black/White felt like a step backwards from HG/SS , can't have your Pokemon follow you, you have to hold 'B' to run, and they replaced the convenient touch screen menu with the 'C-Gear', which, I still have no idea what Im supposed to do with it.

Falseprophet:

Onyx Oblivion:

I thought that Pokemon was still primarily a game for younger kids . . . right up until I went to the midnight release for Black/White. I went to Walmart the night of the release of Black/White and there were pretty much just guys my age (late 20s) standing around waiting. There were probably a good 30 people and all but maybe 2 or 3 could buy beer and likely not get carded.

A lot of Pokemon players are people like me that grew up playing it early on during the Red/Blue days and have stuck with it ever since. My buddy that runs a Gamestop here locally has even commented on the crazy number of adults that come in to get Pokemon as opposed to kids.

Our mutual friend the green haired pussy doesn't have any friends, the story is quite clear on that, as well as the fact that daddy locked himself alone in what one could essentially call "The Pound for the little fuckers no one wanted to collect", causing him to evolve into what is essentially doctor Doolittle (spelling?) just so that he could have some sort of social interaction, though this just meant his only friends were basically glorified puppies that spend all their time cutting themselves and weeping.

Onyx Oblivion:
You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

Heh...someone looks insulted.

What's the matter? Is Pokemon one of your favorite franchises? You have to admit that it's not for everyone. Same with a lot of other games/ activities.

I love it when Yahtzee tears apart games I love. One thing that shocked me though was that he said it was difficult. I've heard many complaints about the series, but I've never heard anyone say the games were too hard. In fact, one of the complaints I do hear pretty often is that it's too easy.

Still, loved the review. It really cranks my gears when I have to fulfill some arbitrary requirement just to find a gym leader, too. Though that is part of the appeal of Pokemon for me: riffing on all the stupid little things about it.

Uber Waddles:
Disliked this review.

While it was clear he actually did play the game, his criticisms are all moot.

Turn based is just how the game plays out. While its not YOUR cup of team, a real-time Pokemon game would be clunky.

As for "theres only one play style", thats wrong too. He said he power-grinded Pokemon to take on the gym, just because you can do massive damage to Pokemon of a weaker type. Thats not how I play the game at all. I have a team, which I teached varied moves, and I dont power-grind them. You can use Buff moves, intricate strategies, etc. OR choose to just balls-to-the-walls-grind and smash everything down with ease.

Part of the appeal of the game is that there are so many creatures: especially if you play the game competitively. Lots of mechanics to master. Once again, not everyones cup of tea.

He also complained about the ease, but also mentions how frustrating random encounters and the cycle of losing health/healing/losing health/healing etc. is.

Eh, to each his own. Yahtzee doesn't like these sort of games, so I wasn't really expecting hiim to praise it, anyways. The single player game is pretty simple and basic type-trumping works fine. I'd be lying if I said that's not how I played through the game the first time.

Going rather easy on this one.

I'm a fan of pokemon, but the plot was retarded. Not as much as the Ruby/Sapphire one (I hate land/ocean! Let's go drown/dry the world! ), but still something I'd have wanted to hear Yahtzee stomp all over.

At lest I'm not the only one who thinks N is a idiot. I like the game but not him.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:
That's why you stock up on max repels :D

Well sure, if you don't want to encounter wild Pokémon at all. But it's irritating when you're levelling up to have a bunch of battles all together when you first walk into the grass and then just have a long stretch of nothing whilst you run around like a fool.

Racecarlock:
Damn, he ripped pokemon apart. Now this is the yahtzee I know and enjoy.

But he didn't rip it apart.

I didn't like this video, and not even because I'm a fan of Pokemon, because I'm not. I didn't even buy the game. We all already knew you hate jRPGs, and we all already know you hate turn-based combat. Everything you complained about are things I saw coming a mile away, and complained about myself when I used to play the game. It's like I just received a newspaper whose headline reads "JRPG INCORPORATES TURN-BASED COMBAT: YAHTZEE HATES IT".

I've heard that pokemon black is better since it's ina a more...urban environment.

That aside, I figure that if there's so many god damned pokemon, how would you ever figure out which ones to use? With that many, it's impossible to form a meaningful opinion of every single one. But then what do I know. I stopped playing pokemon after gold, because a quarter if the way through, I got bored with grinding and decided to just use one pokemon all the way to the end. I quit when I couldn't get through the Elite Four without using up all my attacks.

At college though, there are tons of people who play pokemon. I know a guy who had Pokemon White imported from Japan, even though he didn't know Japanese, because it doesn't matter what anyone is saying.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here