Zero Punctuation: Pokemon White

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Brad Shepard:
wish we could have heard about how he felt about the plot, but ah well, shit happens.

Nintendo game...Plot??? Since when? :p

I've never liked Pokemon that much. I always just picked the cool looking ones, and all the cool looking moves, and I pretty much never lost. Got kind of boring.

michiehoward:

Amplify:

Jdb:
I want to know why some people think Pokemon is a super-complex game. Raising Pokemon is complex, but when it comes to battles between similarly-raised Pokemon it's just crossing fingers and hoping the other guy doesn't send out scissors when paper is in play.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=144&prefixid=warstory

Pick a thread, read the battle report contained within and the guy's thoughts on what he was going to do next and why etc for a standard competitive Pokemon battle.

Then look me in the eye and say that again.

-butts into convo-

I don't know what to say while looking you in the eye except...thats fucked up. LOL

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102963

That one's a great example.

Personally I think pokemon is one of the best video game series out there. It hasn't changed much from Red/Blue because it hasn't needed to. They've done some changes like the physical/special move split or adding abilities, but those have just added to the fun by throwing in more strategy elements and making some pokemon actually worth using again. Plus the competitive scene is awesome and challenging, since there's over 600 pokemon your opponent could potentially use, with so many possible moves for each of them. You can't even go by type really anymore, cause if you do your fighting type that you use to trump their dark type gets hit by a psychic attack and faints. Plus all the items you can give them to hold add even more strategy.

On a side note though, people need to quit shutting the game off when they lose on wi-fi. Its very annoying and making a lot of people's records look like crap since none of their wins get recorded :(

Pokemon is for mad people?

I like it, and I am a little mad (*shrug*).

Onyx Oblivion:

Loop Stricken:

Onyx Oblivion:
You got your game strategy thrown off by EMOLGA enough to complain about it? Pokemon wasn't EASY enough for you that a Gym Leader you COULDN'T sweep with one move is a negative point against it?

The bane of Yahtzee's existence.

Yeah but she had TWO of the little bastards! And they switched out every time they used whateverthefuck move it is she has.

Still the Rock Tomb TM was in the area before the gym, and most Ground types can learn it. And should have learned it, expecting Flying types or not.

to be honesty I just found excadrill(which for me owned at every gym) with rock-slide to be enough to deal with it and most flying pokemon as it has higher accuracy and may make them flinch.

I'm a bit surprised that Yahtzee didn't get the version with the big phallic dragon. But hey we now know his weakness which is electric flying squirrels. :P

Now that squirrel should be a meme!

Grunge4Ever:
Most of your complaints about this didn't even bother me during the game.

They bothered me in other games (haven't played Black or White). When encountering a random battle with say a goddamn Zubat I really wish I could skip the 'ready to battle' sequence where the zubat makes a noise and just immediately run away.

I love Pokemon, but I agree with most of the criticisms in this video.

Amplify:

michiehoward:

Amplify:

Pick a thread, read the battle report contained within and the guy's thoughts on what he was going to do next and why etc for a standard competitive Pokemon battle.

-butts into convo-

I don't know what to say while looking you in the eye except...thats fucked up. LOL

Firstly, since I had to stop playing Pokemon games after Second gen, though I really wanted to keep it up, I had no idea people battled online....seems seriously interesting to me and addictive lol gonna give it a looksee. Damn the Escapist for introducing me to new things -shakes fist-

So Yahtzee likes the other kind of cock fight, like not the one that Pokemon is based upon?

Onyx Oblivion:
snip

I agree with all that you said. Some of the points he brought up were either really, really stupid or plain misinformed. >_<

Still made for a fun episode though.

Uber Waddles:
Disliked this review.

While it was clear he actually did play the game, his criticisms are all moot.

Turn based is just how the game plays out. While its not YOUR cup of team, a real-time Pokemon game would be clunky.

As for "theres only one play style", thats wrong too. He said he power-grinded Pokemon to take on the gym, just because you can do massive damage to Pokemon of a weaker type. Thats not how I play the game at all. I have a team, which I teached varied moves, and I dont power-grind them. You can use Buff moves, intricate strategies, etc. OR choose to just balls-to-the-walls-grind and smash everything down with ease.

Part of the appeal of the game is that there are so many creatures: especially if you play the game competitively. Lots of mechanics to master. Once again, not everyones cup of tea.

He also complained about the ease, but also mentions how frustrating random encounters and the cycle of losing health/healing/losing health/healing etc. is.

This guy pretty much summed up my opinion on this review.

Another point is, if you don't like the random encounters in Pokemon, go to the store and pick up a couple dozen Repels. It's a great investment. The cycle of healing/losing health could be eliminated through exploiting resistances and copious amounts of Pokemon switching in battle to adapt to the situation. Teaching Pokemon odd moves using TMs and the Move Relearner is also quite helpful.

The games have changed quite a bit from the first generation, as well, so that's not much of a point.

blizzaradragon:
Personally I think pokemon is one of the best video game series out there. It hasn't changed much from Red/Blue because it hasn't needed to. They've done some changes like the physical/special move split or adding abilities, but those have just added to the fun by throwing in more strategy elements and making some pokemon actually worth using again. Plus the competitive scene is awesome and challenging, since there's over 600 pokemon your opponent could potentially use, with so many possible moves for each of them. You can't even go by type really anymore, cause if you do your fighting type that you use to trump their dark type gets hit by a psychic attack and faints. Plus all the items you can give them to hold add even more strategy.

On a side note though, people need to quit shutting the game off when they lose on wi-fi. Its very annoying and making a lot of people's records look like crap since none of their wins get recorded :(

I do that all the time the only thing i regret is seeing their smile turn into a frown

Demon Slayer X:
I'm a bit surprised that Yahtzee didn't get the version with the big phallic dragon. But hey we now know his weakness which is electric flying squirrels. :P

Now that squirrel should be a meme!

Sorry man, but from what I know of memes. Saying something should be a meme generaly causes it to not become one (which is sad because I would totaly suport that meme).

Yes pokemon has some key issues that haven't been addressed throughout its existence (PC system, underwhelming story lines). And although the gameplay remains virtually the same, the meta-game evolves drastically with every new critter, move, ability, and item introduced.

I thought he would have at least applauded the depth involved in this game. There are over 600 pokemon, with multiple abilities, multiple natures and many builds for each one with different roles to play on teams. Yahtzee only really harped at the obsessive compulsive side of the game, which is completely optional and unnecessary if you wish to either beat the game or compete later.

The Pokemon series has shifted from being all about "Catching them All" to being a competitive community. Just look at some of the huge followings on YouTube.

And I usually agree with most of Yahtzee's shtick.

ShenCS:
Would just like to point out that no, N couldn't make any other friends in twat school. That was part of the point. He only had Pokemon for friends which left him a little bit mad.
Funny review though, christ the random encounter thing +1 so much. He isn't joking about some parts being every two goddamn steps. And you have to watch the little opening animation again and again but all you're going to do is run urgh. Although he apparently didn't figure out that walking actually decreased the encounter rate quite a bit. But damn if that isn't annoying too.

Repels are your friends. Seriously, the game should just force you to buy repels, they're by far the most useful item in the game if you want to enjoy it.

My strategy when playing any Pokemon game:

1. Pick a Pokemon. It can be the starter or one you catch really early that you like the looks of, it's pretty irrelevant.

2. Grind the crap out of it for about 45 mins before going to the first town, until it's about level 15-20.

3. Only use this one Pokemon for every fight. You are now nigh invincible, can one shot even opposing types, and will gain enough exp to stay that way until you reach the Elite Four.

Worked for every Pokemon game I've played, and for the most part it's working a treat with Black. I look forward to reaching the Elite Four and finding out this strategy is completely ineffective against them, as usual.

Metalhandkerchief:
Emolga. The little fucker. Burn the flying squirrel bastards!

I would laugh if it got an Evolution in Gen 6 xD

That Hyena Bloke:
My strategy when playing any Pokemon game:

1. Pick a Pokemon. It can be the starter or one you catch really early that you like the looks of, it's pretty irrelevant.

2. Grind the crap out of it for about 45 mins before going to the first town, until it's about level 15-20.

3. Only use this one Pokemon for every fight. You are now nigh invincible, can one shot even opposing types, and will gain enough exp to stay that way until you reach the Elite Four.

Worked for every Pokemon game I've played, and for the most part it's working a treat with Black. I look forward to reaching the Elite Four and finding out this strategy is completely ineffective against them, as usual.

The elite 4 are lvl 70 now you mad bro?

C2Ultima:
Wow. I never saw this coming. I was sure he'd be reviewing Crysis 2.

Thank you! That's what I thought he was doing. I'm glad he did a Pokemon game, but I wanted him to do Crysis 2 first.

Maclennan:
Heres the question he missed, what do the people in that world eat since every animal and most of the damn plants are pokemon?

I think a miltank would be quite tasty. Pikachu would probably be kind of stringy. They will probably resort to "iceberg lebtuce" soon.

hmm you know i never thought of that really

I had a feeling that this thread would be filled with the herpity-derp nonsense of "durr i plaed red n blue...lol gaem haznt changed a bit"

Yeah, the basic objective hasn't changed to much, but this point is garbage. Based on that criteria, NES Super Mario Bros is no different from N64 Super Mario Bros. Once you beat the Elite Four and become champion, the game is just beginning.

Primus1985:

Brad Shepard:
wish we could have heard about how he felt about the plot, but ah well, shit happens.

Nintendo game...Plot??? Since when? :p

Black/White decided to go beyond the simple "Team XYZ is trying to take over the world by awakening Pokemon they have no chance of controlling, leaving you to be the sole savior by somehow catching these would-be God Pokemon" and instead adopting something a bit more complex.

Honestly, I find it hilarious how people like Yahtzee who have never picked up a Pokemon game since the first two generations are now trying to get back in to the series. I've seen a surprising number of them, and they all look at it with the same cynicism, commenting on how the formula hasn't changed in all these years.

Hey, technically Dragon Quest's formula hasn't changed in all 9 of its games, and Final Fantasy didn't really change their tune until XI, which is where a lot of people agree the true decline of the series began. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" as it were. Pokemon has seen several upgrades in it's core system over the years. True, the same "rock-paper-scissors" mechanic remains, but that mechanic is in ALL RPGs. If you see something bright red and spewing flame, whether it's in Pokemon or Dragon Age, what the fuck do you think you should hit it with? Lightning? And don't get me started on just picking a Pokemon based on its core element. Every Pokemon can learn moves outside of its core element, and most anyone who's played this series for more than three generations will agree that THAT is the only way to play this game. You pick the Pokemon you like, then you use them regardless of what your opponent tries to throw at you. With infinite-use TM's, there is literally no reason why you should have to catch Pokemon simply to beat that one gym or tackle that one tough trainer.

But maybe I'm going too far off into my own Pokemon fanaticism here. As much as I defend it, this review was quite entertaining. As I said, I've seen quite a few people trying to pick up this series, and it's always hilarious to see them nit-pick it and try to say it's not for them. Hey, you stopped at Pokemon Yellow. We all can tell this series wasn't for you then, it isn't going to be for you now, and it sure as shit won't be for you in another 15 years when they release Pokemon Chartreuse.

Dreiko:

randommaster:

Dreiko:
Heh, figures he wouldn't even comment on the competitive scene of pokemon.

I suppose his patience would die halfway through just reading about what you're supposed to do to get a competitive team.

Funny vid all the same though. It's just sad that he really doesn't get what pokemon is supposed to be for people who are not 10 or younger.

Are you surprised? Yahtzee's one of the most outspoken critics of leaning on multiplayer ever. The single player game is pretty basic, so commenting on it is fair game for reviewers.

It should still have a lot of challenging stuff though.

I haven't gotten into B/W yet but both D/P and the G/S remakes had a ton of single player challenges for which you needed an EV-trained competitive team. Those were the battle arenas which you got after you beat the game. B/W should have something along those lines too, if not even deeper.

End game content has the same issues as multiplayer with the whole earn your fun thing. Most of the battles, even with gym leaders, are simple and can be overcome with basic type matching.

I can't believe people take Yahtzee seriously -.-

He takes the bad points...and exaggerates them...half the time i bet he enjoys most games he plays, but if he doesn't say anything bad about the games, they won't be worth watching?

I bet he is playing it right now, once you play Pokemon, your hooked.

If not, then your an abomination on the world sent by Satan himself

>.>
<.<
>.>

Haha, Yahtzee is implying that not everybody at university is playing Pokemon.

Haven't played Black or White at all yet, but I'd say I'm somewhat a fan of the series. Used to like it alot back when I was a kid then lost interest. Now I'm back to playing it again (funny how that seems to happen). Of course it was the discovery of the Nuzlocke run that brought me back in. That helped me to have fun again with Pokemon's constant grind by making it a bit more interesting. I'd encourage players to try one out sometime or another.

Maclennan:
Heres the question he missed, what do the people in that world eat since every animal and most of the damn plants are pokemon?

I think a miltank would be quite tasty. Pikachu would probably be kind of stringy. They will probably resort to "iceberg lebtuce" soon.

They eat slowpoke tail apparently. This is canon.

randommaster:
You really should have picked up Pokemon Black, Yahtzee. It focuses on story rather than collecting a bunch of critters. At one point you have to choose whether to choose between your friend and your journey, with a branching story for each path. It's pretty much two entirely different games and it puts the Bioware writing staff to shame.

I'm sorry you had to get the wrong version to get back into what has become a great series.

Wait there's a major difference between the two versions? What is this madness?

wc alligator:

Dude, if a game isn't telling you shit you need to know and throws random variables at you that's not a good game. I don't know how Yu-Gi-Oh! rules are now so I won't comment on this.

I didn't say the Pokemon battle mechanics were good, I only said it was complicated, bro. In fact the complexity of Pokemon is what turned me off to it.

In my opinion there are only two games that ever did turn-based combat well.

Paper Mario, and Chess.

randommaster:
You really should have picked up Pokemon Black, Yahtzee. It focuses on story rather than collecting a bunch of critters. At one point you have to choose whether to choose between your friend and your journey, with a branching story for each path. It's pretty much two entirely different games and it puts the Bioware writing staff to shame.

I'm sorry you had to get the wrong version to get back into what has become a great series.

Are you serious? The two games are practically identical...
The only difference is about six Pokémon, the color of the box, and a single location. (White forest, Black city)
Other than that, they are the SAME GAME. There's no change in story, there's no difference.
So I conclude that you must be joking. Um...good one?

Anyway, I like Pokémon, but agree with various people that I don't play to collect 'em all, I play to battle.
'course, I'm one of the odd people who actually enjoyed the turn-based battles in Paper Mario, so...

This review was great. I thought I was outgrowing Yahtzee because I no longer found the jokes funny, but maybe it's just because he hasn't had any really fresh material in the last year. Since this is his first review of Pokemon, it gave a new realm for clever shenanigans. I laughed pretty hard at this one.

Amplify:

michiehoward:

Amplify:

-butts into convo-

There are a lot of words behind the thinking. However, I am still seeing game play coming down to choosing from a list of options and only knowing if it's the right choice when the other guy moves. I don't like games with a considerable random factor. I haven't liked them ever since it took me six months to get full tier one in vanilla World of Warcraft. I prefer games like shoot 'em ups where I must think fast and in real time. Still, have fun with the new Pokemon.

shadowmagus:
Great review Yahtzee. I haven't played pokemon since Blue/Red, and it's nice to know I haven't missed anything in 15 years.

said it all for me, thanks :)

I played Pokemon red or blue on a emulator on the PC like 10-15 years ago? Damn, that makes be feel rather old. Anyway, god to know I haven't missed much. IMO, Pokemon is all about leveling, it's the same story with almost any RPG. Grind, level up, beat a boss, repeat. That can get quite addictive after some time.

Dreiko:

So chess or any card game in general is something nobody can be serious about?

Gotta inform all those people who actually are serious about those things, quick, run!

In chess both players have 16 pieces, and a 64 square board, with very specific movement constraints for each piece.

In card games, the ones taken seriously that I can remember at least, the players hands aren't showing.

Pokemon is like a chess match with 2 lanes and 1 queen each, or a poker game where everyone's hands are showing. It's not "strategy", it's memorizing a spread sheet.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here